Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Memories First Time Playing Gen 1 :)

i first got Pokemon just when i turned 11yrs on Gameboy Color see through purple, it was Pokemon Yellow.
    I first borrowed Pokemon Blue from a friend trying to get to understand the functions of playing a game like this. So I bought my Gameboy Color then my Grandma got me Pokemon Yellow as a first game to play with it. I was obsessed with Pikachu. I was curious what Pokemon I would be able to catch and which Pokemon I couldn't catch.
    my first 6 Pokemon were Pikachu, Pidgeot, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Butterfree.

Ah, I remember the good ol' days with Generation I...

I'm a child of late 90's, early 00's so it was a few years until I got Pokemon Yellow and a Gameboy. I lost my Gameboy, but found it about a week ago. I used to play Pokemon anything on my cousin's Gameboy Color...those were the good old days.
    Gen 1 Lineup:
    Gen 2 Lineup:
    Gen 3 Lineup:
    Gen 4 Lineup:

Favorite Pokemon:

I have so many fond memories of this generation, I had yellow, my brother had blue.

I remember the huge speculations and rumors especially on mew, mewthree and it's funny now that we are only kinda getting it now with the new forms, staying up with a flashlight under the cover of my bed playing with the original gameboy, the anime and the movies which I watched religiously until the 2nd gen, singing along to my cassette tape of the first movie soundtrack, playing trading cards and battling with a link cable during lunch break at school.

those were great times.

Discovering that the friend who lent me the cartridge found Missingno.
    Other than that, I kinda remember level grinding my Ivysaur until it evolved, a Wigglytuff who could use Seismic Toss...
    I have fonder memories of Ruby. That was my first game.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

My earliest memory is being stuck at Brock's gym. My Yellow cartridge was either stolen or lost and I recall beating Brock easily when I eventually got a new Yellow.

Yeah I also remember having hard time against Brock when I was a kid. Starting with Charmander might not have been the easiest way to go against Brock.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Interesting concept for me seeing as how I am a huge Gen 1 nerd. I was trying to think back and honestly I don't remember much abut Generation 1 even though its the Generation I have liked the best -inb4 people call me a genoner- Most of my memories of the games come from Generation 2, but I do remember a few memories...I would like to say though I am 21, I was 7 when this all happened so yeah.

My first was, the anime. I remember seeing the anime first before I got the game -I also remember liking palletshipping all the way back then before I even know what palletshipping or yaoi even was-. That show made me like a kid on a sugar high. I was kinda into video games back then, we did have an N64 with Banjo Tooie and Diddy Kong Racing but it wasn't until my parents, after hours of begging, decided to get me a Gameboy and Blue version that I REALLY got a taste for gaming. I remember Opening up the box and I remember it being Blue version cause I distinctly remember the blue cart, the blue tint in the game, and the Blastoise on the front. I did also pick Squirtle for my starter. After that my memory starts to fade. I remembering evolving Squirtle into Wartortle, but the memory that is most vivid in my mind, and I don't know why, is sitting outside on my swing with a pair of headphones on in the gameboy and just listening to Lavender Town's music. I loved that song back then. I don't know what it was. The only other memory of it I had came much later when I was much older and I figured out about missingno and glitch city and I remember it scaring the hell outta me, I didn't play the game for a few days after that. I also, its fuzzy, but I remember sitting on the stairs to my basement and I was fighting a Machamp with my Arcanine. Annnd that's it...I'm still finding new things out about the game though even to this day, and that's why I love this game so much. While it can be said for other games to, I just feel this one has the most mystery surrounding it, what with all the glitches, creepypasta, mechanics, it all just adds to it and I can't get enough. There's a reason why to this day I haven't been able to finish FR/LG because I always want to keep coming back to gen 1 when playing it.

Most of my memories come from Silver version though.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

I can't remember if it was the games or the anime that I discovered first, however, I do know that I never owned a gameboy and had to resort to borrowing one and a copy of blue from an old friend of mine in order to play. Eventually, I ended up buying a copies of Stadium and Stadium 2 (when it came out) for my N64 and using the gameboy pack to play a copy of gold (on Stadium 2) which I purchased for myself. It the very first thing 7 year old me had ever saved her allowance up for. Later, I went back and purchased a copy of Yellow as well, which I played through both Stadium and Stadium 2.

l also religiously watched the anime, I had a whole stack of episodes on VHS which I had gotten from the dollar store. (Back when stuff like that was cheap. Anyone else remember 10 cent yogurt? Yeah, I miss that too.) I could probably safely say I had at least 10 different VHS tapes, with 3 episodes each. A total of about 30 episodes. (Also on another unrelated note: Anyone else remember crying over the episode "Pikachu's Goodbye"?)

I remember when Burger King did their Pokemon promotion as well, for the tie in with the first movie. My local store was holding a contest to win all 50-whatever different toys they had available, and I actually won~ So I've got an entire box full of Pokemon keychains and watersquirters in a basket in my closet. :3

The late 90s were a magical time indeedy~
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/30nc01x.png[/IMG]

PASBL
    | Clock shop on Hiatus | Tumblr
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/swtmiw.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Ding Ding Sparkle Sparkle:

I ALWAYS got Bulasuar, caught a Nidoran male, and going to the third gym and just stoping there, because I wanted to play Ruby instead.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/28h2448.png[/IMG]
    Turt!!! Turt!!!
    Join the PASBL Today!
    My Squad
    E-T-H's Clock Shop
    Diamond FC: 1335-8884-4961
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2cxw9li.gif[/IMG]

Running around in Yellow with Pikachu following, and not evolving it because it wouldn't do it anymore.

I also remember battling Jessie and James in Yellow and thinking it was 'just like in the anime'. Good times.

I remember getting Blue for my 9th birthday and just ran out into the garage to play it. It took me a whole hour to figure out how to throw a dang pokeball. Those were the days.

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

It was has been already such a long time. The first pokémon gane I ever got was pokémon gold. I was always confused with Ho Oh back then, I thought it had two eyes XD. Mhm,.. I had an older newphew who was always lying to me. Once when I caught a shiny caterpie (Yes the first shiny I ever caught) was stolen away by him. He totally tricked me! He said "Yeah, the butterfree flew away 'cause you didn't took good care of it". Meng, can't believe I actually believed him xD. Well I was six back then so I guess I was a bit naif.

I think I stopped playing pokémon after that, I was so upset about my butterfree xD. I still remember though that I was annoyed that only in pokémon yellow that it was possible that a pokémon was walking behind you. It was quite frutarting, so later my aunt also bought my pokémon Yellow, but the card broke and haha, I had to keep restarting it and soon I gave up playing.

My next game was pokémon emerald, which I haven't touched in ages xD. I really should do it...
    There is no upperhand hand, I'm giving you mine. It doesn't have to end up wasting your time. There's things that I could say, here in my way. I wanna let you know, that it's all okay.

You love pizza!

Go eat Tuna fish!

I still have no life. Trololo ~

Black 2. My fc : 4213 5452 6544

(Credit goes to FairyWitch)

(Credit goes to Astral Shadow)

I watched the anime first before stadium and the gameboy. The TV show was on from 7:30-08:00 I think, rarely missed an episode, except for repeats. I got pokemon stadium 1 when I was about 8 years old (2000) and defeated round 1 with just rentals as I still didn't have a gameboy yet. When I had difficulty defeating round 2 I realised I needed to get some better resources! Took me ages to finish the game (Elite 4 and rival in Indigo Plateau) as it took me a while to get the surf HM and find the card key in saffron city where team rocket were. My best team would have to be:

Mewtwo
    Mew
    Zapdos
    Gengar
    Tauros
    Exeggutor

Pokemon blue was the first one i ever played. My auntie amy gave it to me to play cuz i was bored and lets see, i was like 4 or 5 and when prof. oak said not to go in the grass, after the stuff happens with your rival and getting your starter i never went in the grass again! Cuz you know he said not to and i was scared something bad would happen or something... idk.
    I was so confused jst wandering around pallet town like what the hay?! Then after like 10 mins wandering around i accidentally walked in the grass and im like.................... oh. :b lawl
    Last edited by Xehla; 9th July 2013 at 9:03 AM.
    "My thoughts exactly. If you have a dream, don't wait. Act.
    One of life's little rules. Got it memorized?"

"Follow your memories. Trust what you remember. Seek what you forget... and you will find someone very special."

"Our most precious memories lie so deep in our hearts, that they're out of reach. But I'm sure you can find yours, Sora."

"I guess the closest thing we Nobodies have is our past. You know, memories of the stuff we couldn't bear to lose, back when we couldn't bear to lose it."

~~★Axel Fangirl for life★~~
    Got it memorized?

I remember getting Yellow for Christmas and I literally spent the entire day sat at my Gran's house playing it. I remember going onto the route north of Cerulean City and being amazed that a randomer would just give me a Charmander. Felt like I'd won the lottery.
    I put this in another thread, but when I found the Eevee in Celadon City I thought the police were going to arrest me for theft as the pokeball was right next to the know it all guy.

My 8yr old cousin now has my Red version. This is her first Pokemon game so when she gets excited it's adorable.

I remember playing Yellow for the first time and I was so happy when Pikachu was following me, I ran downstairs and was jumping around going "PIKACHU, PIKACHU, PIKACHU!!"
    It took my mother about 20 minutes to calm me down :P I was only that happy because 1) I didn't know it was going to happen 2) It didn't happen in Red/Blue.

I remember evolving my Wartortle... That's about it.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

I remember my first pokemon game ever which was yellow version, I started the game and for what seemed like an hour I finally figured out that I had to walk into the grass to get the game started lol I was walking around the town talking to people and notvrealizingbthat Rout 1 was my destination and that is my greatness pokemon yellow memory because that first step brought me to the point of loving pokemon to this day.

*Credit to SwornMetalhead at deaderic design for the aura banner, credit to astral shadow at the under for the buttons*

Here's my short slice of my life how I got my first gameboy. well, I just wanted to share. I remember late 90s pokemon handheld games were so popular. I always felt so envious when I seen someone playing red/blue. Every field trip we had, most of my classmates were bragging each of their teams and there was I, always wished I had gameboy too. I often borrow my cousin's gameboy and some of my classmates unused roms just to be able to play. then up to the point where they don't allow me to burrow anymore. I can't forget that moment when I really cried and rage (can't come up with a good term ) and told my mom. "Why is it on so many kids out there I'm the only one who doesn't own a gameboy. I even pity myself when everyone's having fun while I am like an outcast just watching them. I got really good grades but why is it you can't buy my only wish?" and then, the peak of my childhood. I still have my gameboy and 1st rom box. Oh. Nostalgia moments.

" I may look normal but I have lots of Potential. "

Thinking Dratini was a glitch and uncatchable

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

I can remember getting my GBC and Pokemon Red for Christmas, exploring Pallet Town to find what to do... My Ivysaur evolving into Venusaur... Dewgong's Surf defeating Gary's Charizard for my first victory...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Because gen. 6 will have 126 Pokemon exactly, and show up near May 24, 2016 (give or take 3 weeks).

I was in 4th grade, and my best friend at the time had just discovered Pokemon. I didn't want to get into it, since I didn't like the way she described it...can't remember details lol. Then my cousin got me to watch some episodes, and pretty soon I had a copy of Pokemon Yellow.

I remember taking forever to get to Viridian City, and trying to beat Brock with Pikachu (my other cousin and I took turns trying to best him..."Pikachu used Quick Attack! It's not very effective..." XD). I basically only used Pikachu throughout the game, and since I got stuck a lot, it was at level 51 by the time I got to Lt. Surge. I was also happy when I beat Surge because I accidentally made Pikachu forget Thunderbolt XD. I also remember really liking Vermilion City's music for some reason.

Then I tried Red and Blue and was kind of disappointed in the graphics and the fact I couldn't have all 3 starters. Eventually, I grew to love all the games. I discovered all the Gen I glitches sometime in high school and spent many an afternoon catching Mew or making Missingno. give me 128 Rare Candies. So much fun XD. To this day I still enjoy playing RBY, trying different challenges like Nuzlocke and such.

The first time I have ever played Pokemon was around 5-6 years ago, when I as about 8-9. I learned about Pokemon form my older sister, who was in her early-mid teens. I stole her Gameboy and Pokemon Yellow and played, not knowing what to do. I had a ton of fun but only got so far. My only memory was that I always used my Butterfree because it was such a badass. I'm 14 now and downloading a Yellow ROM, now I'm replaying my old memories to my heart's content.

frozen inside without your touch
    without your love, darling
    only you are the life among the dead
    -
    tumblr - gwsc - sprites - song

Oh yeah good old times. I started with the Red Version. My very first pokemon game. I always wanted to visit the grass area on the sides of pallet town. But it was impossible buuh.
    And I caught a machoke on victory road with a masterball. I thought Machamp was the strongest pokemon ever^^' Old stupid me.
    I hardly remember normal stuff in the game. But I will never forget my first try to find Missingno, Mew, and sunny town.
    My dshini page:
    http://www.dshini.net/de/spage/851ea...1-a064185c8567
    Recently played Koihime Musou and it was kinda like..the best thing ever. So I really want the sequel. So if you are an adult and if like visual novels..if you can, please support the official translation group: http://forums.fuwanovel.org/index.ph...ment-and-news/

Well, this wasn't the first Gen I played, Gen III was, but I remember how excited I got when I saw the Red cartridge in the GameStop, along with Crystal, Gold and Silver. I was in love, and bought them all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast