Thread: The Fire Was Not My Fault: BW2 UU

Default The Fire Was Not My Fault: BW2 UU

Yet another RMT from this Loco kid... Why does he post so many?

Well Serebii, I make and test my teams over the weekend then write up RMTs for them Sunday and Tuesday, when I have a double study hall to end my day. Then I play around with them further after school, testing any changes (I don't get a whole lot of homework, being a senior has its perks at my school). And I got pretty bored of OU, plus I had a new core I wanted to try out. Hence, I made my way down to the UU tier. My knowledge of UU is still pretty limited, but I hope to improve it with this team/RMT, like how I'm using a Monotype project to better understand the individual types themselves and working around difficult weaknesses. There will actually be a process this time, but feel free to skip it.

Spoiler:- The process:

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
    Sputnik, Chou-En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai"
    Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
    Starkweather, homicide, children of thalidomide

Amoonguss (Thalidomide) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Clear Smog

Yeah, I know Physical Amoonguss is generally better in UU but it still does the Specially-defensive job better than Slowbro, and I did need some Special bulk somewhere on this team. Anyway, this is Amoonguss's bread and butter set, Double Status. Spore puts something to sleep, which forces switches fairly often. Nothing wants to be used as set-up bait for Houndoom or Scrafty, after all. Then the switch-in gets paralyzed (if the RNG goes in my favor anyway) and voila, two of their Pokemon are crippled nicely. Giga Drain is my preferred means of recovery on Amoonguss. I prefer it to Synthesis because of the ability to do damage while I heal, and I also have Regenerator and Sludge for recovery. Clear Smog is amazing, basically a damaging Haze. It means Amoonguss cannot be set up on without a Sub up and with many sweepers relying on scaring their opponent off to set up Clear Smog sees a good amount of use.

Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
    Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

Slowbro (Bay of Pigs) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpA
    - Scald
    - Psyshock
    - Slack Off
    - Thunder Wave

Slowbro is a beast. Scald gets STAB and has a potential for burnhax, further increasing this thing's already-insane physical bulk. Psyshock is my other STAB, and it's very useful in that it hits my opponent's Def stat. This team's somewhat lacking in physical offense, with only one dedicated attacker, so having this bit of support helps a ton. Slack Off is reliable recovery, which is extremely nice and makes this monster even more stupidly bulky. Regenerator helps too, did I mention that? Thunder Wave is for crippling common switch-ins, most of which are faster. That means T-Wave helps tremendously.

We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it

Houndoom (The Fire) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Hidden Power Grass

Houndoom is what gives this team it's name. It's my set-up sweeper, typically late-game. But if I can nab a Flash Fire boost, that's always nice. The main idea is to come in on something I scare off, like... Oh, Choice-locked Chandelure, Darmanitan, any Grass-type, some Choice-locked Psychic type.... And drop a Nasty Plot as they switch. Even that Banded Darmanitan, that Spe ties and threatens with EQ, had better be careful switching into +2 STAB, Flash-Fire-backed, LO-boosted Fire Blast. Dark Pulse is used mainly when I don't have a Flash Fire boost, and HP Grass is here to hit Water-types that want to come in and sponge Fire Blasts. Even with Base 70 and no STAB, it doesn't feel good off +2 with a LO boost.

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
    Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
    Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Kruschev
    Princess Grace, "Peyton Place", trouble in the Suez

Zapdos (Suez) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Thunderbolt
    - Heat Wave
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Roost

Zapdos is an attacker like Houndoom, but it has one thing the hellhound doesn't: Roost. Zapdos can heal off its LO damage and shed a couple weaknesses in exchange for its immunity in the process. It's a pretty powerful attacker too, and it gets some different coverage. Thunderbolt gets STAB and is my main move for that reason. Nothing that isn't Ground really appreciates taking a T-Bolt to the face. Heat Wave deals with opposing Grass, Steel and Ice types, which all have perks. Grass-types like to come in to take T-Bolts but won't like Heat Wave at all. Steels are great defensively in general and Zapdos appreciates a way to remove them. Ice types have STAB super-effective moves, and this Zapdos isn't the bulkiest thing. If my Ice resists are gone, Zapdos can still threaten them itself. HP Ice hits Grounds, especially Gligar and Flygon, but misses the OHKO on Rhyperior and means I can't touch Swampert. I'd bring in Amoonguss on them anyway though.

Buddy Holly, "Ben Hur", space monkey, Mafia
    Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
    U-2, Syngman Rhee, Payola and Kennedy
    Cubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

Cobalion (The Congo) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
    EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Close Combat
    - Volt Switch
    - Toxic

Cobalion is my Rocks setter and main Rock resist. Close Combat gets STAB and hammers quite a bit even with only 28 Atk EVs. Volt Switch is there to get Cobalion out if I need to and it means that trapping me isn't going to happen. Toxic is Toxic and exists to cripple walls and provide residual damage. Nothing enjoys taking a Toxic, except the occasional Guts abuser... Anyway, pretty straightforward and a solid physical backbone for my team.

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania
    Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Hitmontop (John Glen) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    - Rapid Spin
    - Foresight
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

This is the spinner I needed. Hitmontop has great physical bulk with Intimidate and 317 is pretty decent on its own. Rapid Spin is pretty much what Hitmontop does, and it's kinda obvious on a spinner. Foresight is a risk, but in testing it helped me more than Toxic did. If they've got a Ghost-type to block me, I have Foresight to hit through it and still get my spin off. If they don't, Foresight is a waste of a moveslot. I'd prefer to hit the Ghosts though, since hazards were a pretty big issue, Rocks especially with both Houndoom and Zapdos taking 25% on the switch. Close Combat is my main attack, with STAB it still hits decently hard without Atk investment and the Def drop is manageable with Intimidate and smart switching. Stone Edge is here to hit the Flying-types and just about everything Close Combat doesn't, although the 80% accuracy trolls hard sometimes. Doormat Troll don't care 'bout bein' trolled though xD.

When we are gone, will it still burn on, and on, and on, and on....
    Last edited by loco1234; 17th January 2013 at 4:14 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Well, something to use rapid spin would see a nice place here, as the metagame is filled with Roserade and Froslass who would like to set up spikes on you. Gligar and Ferroseed can also set up Stealth Rock on you, and only Zapdos has an answer for Gligar. Roserade can use Sleep Powder and set up two layers of spikes, while Froslass can set up Spikes. Yeah, rapid spin would be good to have, Hitmontop could be used over Scrafty, because I think Cobalion does the offensive thing a little better, as Scrafty has to set up, and even after that it's speed is still subpar.

Other than that, you seem to be able to cover each threat in the metagame well. I was going to tell you to consider a cleric, but most of the team doesn't care about it.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Alright, I'll give Top a try. I completely forgot it was UU, but I did kinda see a need for a spinner here. He seems like a great fit.

EDIT: Yep, Top helps a ton. Updated the OP!
    Last edited by loco1234; 17th January 2013 at 4:15 AM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

I agree with the others that a spinner would be very useful with 3 of your Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, and everything but Zapdos having trouble with Spikes (which is pretty common thanks to Roserade). I would suggest Hitmontop, possibly over Cobalion, though you would be losing your SR setter yourself. A usable Hitmontop set for this team could be as follows:

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    -Rapid Spin
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge / Sucker Punch
    -Toxic

Just for recommendations, I would say use Stone Edge over Sucker Punch as you already have Houndoom to switch to to deal with spinblockers, and likely scare them out as they'll be expecting Pursuit, allowing you to sweep. Stone Edge also gives you coverage you don't already have on your team. The Intimidate drops could be very useful against all the prevalent Fighting types in UU, and Toxic can help with the bulkier Pokemon. Foresight is an option to help you avoid the problem of spinblockers, but Houndoom already will do a good enough job of dealing with them (the main ones being Chandelure, as you've mentioned, Dusclops, and Cofagrigus, all of whom will not enjoy facing Houndoom, letting it get to +2).
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

Oh yeah, just piece of advice here about keeping Hitmontop alive:

Switch out Hitmontop on a Drifblim, even when the Drifblim is Intimidated. Hitmontop will not enjoy taking a STAB 165 Acrobatics to the face, even with Intimidate. If it does survive, switch it out, as Unburden will allow Drifblim to take out Hitmontop, giving you hazards for the rest of the match. Drifblim isn't common, but just be careful if it does appear.
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

Looks like a decent team! One problem is that Sub Raikou basically 6-0s on its own. Sub CM Mismagius also 6-0s. I suggest dropping Cobalion for a Swampert. This gives you a semi-solid switch in for not just Raikou and Mismagius, but Zapdos, Scarf Heracross, Flygon, Victini, Darmanitan etc. All things you are very weak to. It also lays rocks and can Roar stuff around. Defensive Cobalion's main niche besides being a steel type and volt switch is STAB fighting moves, but you have a lot of Curselax coverage with Hitmontop, Clear Smog, and now Roar Swampert.

Another option is to run mixed Pursuit / Sucker Punch Houndoom. This is arguably a more useful set as imo Houndoom is waaaay to slow and frail to Nasty Plot sweep. Mixed Pursuit at least gives you a final solution against Victini locked into V-Create.

Good luck!

Right, so Swampert over Cobalion, Mixed Houndoom over Nasty Plot Houndoom and Toxic over Foresight. If Houndoom goes mixed Pursuit and Sucker Punch deal with Ghosts pretty well, so Toxic seems like it'd be better there.

Thanks guys, I'll try those!

Nah keep Foresight. You have two SR weak Pokemon, sometimes you will NEED rocks gone which is what Hitmontop is good at.