Thread: The Weather Warriors

Threaded View

Default The Weather Warriors

Not named after the team in the tourny going on. The name was given since the pokemon team was built around the weather wars, so it had nothing to do with the combatants cup. I do apologize to the Hoen Triangle, since I didn't intend to steal your team's name.

So, a while ago, someone asked for a rate on their Heatran set. It was the rather generic Flame Charge Heatran, so I suggested to try it in the sun, were it'd be effectively +1/+1 whenever using Fire Blast. This weather also would be useful for keeping rain off the field, keeping Heatran's Fire Blast from being weakened. I've actually wanted to play with Flame Charge Heatran for a while, and since he requested that a more experienced competitive player tried it out themselves, I decided to give this set a go.

Being a relatively bulky late game cleaner, I decided to make the team around bulky offense. Also, since sun is such a difficult weather to set up, I also decided to dedicate this team to the weather war.

At least, when I use the term "bulky offense", I refer to a team where a bulky late game cleaner preforms a sweep after other generally bulky pokemon try and remove any threats. So, no Venusuars for me. I want to put that team slot into supporting my Heatran.

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

A simple late game cleaner. Get up a flame charge, than crush things with your STAB Fire Blast in the sunlight. Earthpower hits other heatran and fire types, and HP makes setting up on Gliscor and Landorus more reassuring, thanks to the air balloon.

The modest nature is because Flame Charge is more of a stat boosting move, so I felt that sacrificing bulk to make it more powerful would be a waste.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Protect
    - Fire Blast
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - SolarBeam

So, here we have my custom, weather warring Ninetales. Protect and the combination of leftovers help Ninetales stay healthy, allowing it to come in more, even when stealth rock is on the field. Sometimes, my opponent deals with the sunlight by having a Tyranitar or Politoed swap in. When this happens, I like to use will-o-wisp to to bring their health down every turn they stay in battle, and also cripple Tyranitar's attack stat. Fire Blast hits very hard in the sunlight, and Solar Beam provides decent coverage, so Ninetales is also a half decent offensive threat.

I may replace Solar Beam with Energy Ball to hurt Politoed and Tyranitar swap ins more. Thoughts?

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 172 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk / 80 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is my finest weather warrior, keeping those nasty entry hazards away from Ninetales while spreading them to make Tyranitar regret every swapping in. Magnezone hasn't been all that troublesome, so I gave it Gyro Ball to handle threats like Terrakion. Ferrothorn is offensively weak, but 150 base STAB power makes up for that. Just in case of Magnezone, I am considering Volt Switch instead.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mummy
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Shadow Ball
    - Haze

Cofagrigus is a surprisingly good mixed wall, sponging both physical and special hits rather well, and is also my team's spin blocker. While it's low HP is unappealing, it's most reliable recovery move is pain split, so it's not that bad. Shadow Ball is a decent STAB option, also hitting Starmie super effectively, and will-o-wisp cripples the recovery of Tentacruel, cripples Donphan, and makes Foresight Hitmontop regret even considering the idea of staying in on it. Haze...well, where else do you think phazing comes from? Pseudo+Haze. Sadly, it doesn't help wrack up spikes damage, but it sure helps keep me safe from calm mind sweepers.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - X-Scissor

Dragonite, Salamence, Gyarados, Volcarona...practically all OU speed boosters are weak to rock. This, along with the ability to outrun all of them at +1 with a scarf, is what makes scarf Terrakion my favorite one of it's sets. Besides revenge killing with Stone Edge, Close Combat is Terrakion's primary STAB, dealing massive damage and proving excellent coverage with Stone Edge. Earthquake rounds this off, though it's mainly filler, since Rock/Steel types are already handled by it's Fighting STAB. X-Scissor hits any bulky psychic type who dare opposes it, though I use it so rarely, I may just swap it or EQ for Rock Slide and revenge kill more reliably.

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Psyshock
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Despite only being a decent STAB type, Leaf Storm is still an extremely deadly attack, and unlike Latios's Draco Meteor, hits bulky water types for super effective damage. And even outside of Sunlight, it still crushes Politoed and Tyranitar. 55 base speed my not be much, but with 252 speed EVs, it can outrun either of these two, unless they decided to run max speed EVs as well. Psyshock serves as secondary STAB, and doesn't force Exeggutor to swap out after it's first attack. HP fire reaches as decent 105 power in the sunlight, and provides fair coverage for it's grass type STAB. And, if all else fails, Sleep Powder doesn't, allowing me to put any pokemon to sleep.

Before anyone suggest Harvest, I'd like to say that I chose this pokemon to remove bulky water types, and also check Politoed, Hippowdon, and Tyranitar outside of sunlight; Specially defensive Tyranitar isn't easily handled without choice specs. Also, not having harvest is also it's own advantage, as few opponents will ever expect to be facing it without, meaning that people often try to outpace it with pokemon who are actually slower in the sunlight. And remember, this team is about supporting Heatran, not sweeping with some gimmicky Exeggutor set.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 14th January 2013 at 4:10 AM.