Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are the New Pokemon Overpowered?

We need to make the new starters overpowered so I can use my Froakie competitively. :P

FROAKIEEEE

Pokemon White 2 Team:

SINNOOOHHHH
    PM me if you'd like a Gen VI battle.

Perhaps there's been a minor power creep. But it's been shown that Pokemon are either left in the dust, get refined move sets and such, or are born into the game with some serious power.

Gamefreak has its reasons, I guess.
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    I think the reason why a lot of Unova Pokemon are so good is because only a minimal portion of their low BST is invested in worthless stats they have little use for (IE, special attack for Scrafty and Darmanitan, speed for Ferrothorn).

Tons of the older Pokemon could be far better if their stats were more specialized instead of being horribly average.
    When they made Gen1 pokemon, they seem to have had the idea of many Pokemon being mixed attackers.

I mean the Machoke line learning Fire Blast?

They do have a very odd habit of giving Pokemon with horrible special attack stats extremely large special movesets.

Of course they're stronger. If none of the new pokemon were stronger, there would be no point in using them. I would actually commend GF on introducing new stronger pokemon while also keeping older mons up to date. A quick look at the OU tier show a relative balanced distribution among the gens, which isn't an easy task.

I'm moving this to the Competative section as it should belong there not in GPD.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

I personally think that the Pokemon themselves aren't overpowered, the new stat-raising moves however are.

Seriously, Quiver Dance and Shift Gear. That's just breaking it altogether, if not at least one thing.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

While the power creep did come this generation, personally no. A few testing of suspects helps balance the metagame out (like the recent Tornadus-T ban from Smogon OU). Each Pokemon will have their downfaults like Volcarona's 4x Stealth Rock Weakness and how outclassed Heatmor is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    I'm moving this to the Competative section as it should belong there not in GPD.
    I'm moving this back to GPD. Without any info of base stats, movepool, typing or whatever there is literally nothing competitive to discuss beside baseless speculation.

I'm not sure about overpowering, that is because GF had set itself the maximum base stats total of 720 when the time it introduced Arceus. There can not be any Pokemon that can overpower it. (Though, I have to say, this total is really low for a Pokemon that is speculated to the God of all.)

Even the Black and White Kyurem that is in Gen V, it only has 700 base stats total, did not surpass Arceus which is a Gen IV Pokemon.

I'm not here to discuss how much the base stats of the newly introducing Pokemon is getting close to Arceus, but rather on the question of did the newly introducing Pokemon ever surpass Arceus.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I'm not sure about overpowering, that is because GF had set itself the maximum base stats total of 720 when the time it introduced Arceus.
    No they didn't. There is nothing hard coded into the game that prevents a Pokemon from having a base stat total of greater than 620.

There can not be any Pokemon that can overpower it.
    This is both false and assumes that the sole source of power is through a Pokemon's base stat total.

(Though, I have to say, this total is really low for a Pokemon that is speculated to the God of all.)
    Sweet Arceus, this post doesn't have a single bit of truth, does it?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

They do seem apparently more thought out than previous Pokemon. I wouldn't say stronger, but they have more depth, including moves, etc.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Idk how that transfers on the video games (I'm a nuke player so I don't see the difference), but for the trading card game, hells yes, we went from making decks were at best we can have pokemon with 100 hp and 10-50 attack base, with 120 at best, now we're playing with cards that have 170-180 hp with 220 hp at best dealing in and around 90+dmg per turn, (I'll list 2013 winter tier decks to get an understanding of the dmg), darkrai(180hp) is currently made to deal anywhere between 90-140 dmg per turn with 30 extra to 1 bench pokemon, rayeels or Rayquaza(170hp) was made for dragon burst which is 60 per 1 fire or electric energy card discarded (we use a card called dynamotor which brings electric back from the discard pile to a bench pokemon so with that we use 3 dyanmotor on the bench equaling to 180-120 dmg per turn if setup properly, cobalion(180hp) which is supposed to deal 100-130 per turn, landorus(180) is 30/60-150/180 per turn. And to think that for the longest time charizard base set was the strongest with 120 hp and 120 atk, sorry buddy. So gen 6, we'll have to see what we get to play with.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

some but most not the tiers according to smogon are very mixed.
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi..._by_base_stats
    Look at the list of base stats from greatest to least. Once you get through all of the legendaries at the top, you'll find there's really nothing supporting the idea they are over powered. Every gen has their stronger and weaker Pokemon.
    Yellow Team [Currently In Progress]:
    () () . . () . () . . () . . ()
    Justin - Wilfred - Xavier - Tank - Raymundo - Dugtrio

Black 2 Team:
    () () . () . () . () . ()
    Tidas - Hades - Odin - Valdosta - Stark - Oscar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123