View Poll Results: Are you participating?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want to battle! (DON'T FORGET! Fill up the registration forms!)

39 79.59%
  • Maybe. I'm not too sure of the chances yet.

5 10.20%
  • No, I have better things to do.

5 10.20%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2013 International Challenge Discussion Thread

The awesomeness of a Toxic Gastrodon: 72-38989-82808 (opponent was ranked 1705, while i was at 1703)

Pretty great battle. I swear I though I was going to lose that one. It took about 30 minutes to finish. By which time, he would have won in an actual VGCs event. Probably...

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

I gotta give credit to the TR teams I'm facing... Many of them have at least 1 or 2 faster Pokemon plus there Cress has Helping Hand. An alternate strategy that contradicts TR but is very effective nonetheless. Almost every TR Team I faced was on to my TR counter strategy. It's now a game of cat and mouse.
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

It seems that many of the japanese players are running Trick Room teams. It just looks like the common strategy there, I guess.

Generally these guys:

I can never beat them... :'(

>.< i think im done with this tourny, i keep losing to a bunch of people in the 1700,1800,1900,even a 2000s ranges.
    all running the same sets...

i shouldnt get stressed over a pokemon game, but >.>

Five battle earlier and won one that was against an underleveled playthrough team (but no dc so that's good and hope they're enjoying the tourney). Aside from that, hadn't done well, except vs an interesting team. As I try thinking back on it, I can't remember exact details. Wasn't a rain team, but brought in a drizzle politoed, had a scizor, and believe they started with terrakion and whimsicott. I think I started with Yunowun (dewott) and Terri (stoutland). I know whimsicott used tail wind at some point, but not sure if right away or next turn (believe it was first turn, but can;t recall what their terrakion did). I think I switched out Terri for Max (elgyem). Yunowun swords danced I believe. Next turn I think since Yunowun wasn't damaged at all, I went with a razor shell on terrakion knocking it out, but not before whimsicott beat it up and it used rock slide to knock out Max and bring Yunowun to 1 hp via focus sash. Next I believe I brought in Terri for an intimidate and they brought out scizor. Yunowun aqua jetted into scizor and brought its hp to the red I believe and I switched out Terri for Psidekic. Whimsicott used energy ball on Yunowun knocking it out and scizor swords danced. Next turn Terri replaced Yunowun and intimidated again. Terri's quick claw went off and just to be save, thinking reversal and crunch wouldn't do much on scizor, used giga impact knocking that steel/bug out. Whimsicott knocked out Terri with an energy ball and Psidekic put it to sleep. Now it's down to my Psidekic and their drizzle politoed and sleeping whimsicott. Luckily these two seem to be more special attackers, I focus on calm minding, however getting burned by a scald and whimsicott waking too early, I manage to get two calm minds in and put politoed to sleep, but at the end of that turn, the burn knocks her out unfortunatlly. So that was a nice battle. Didn't win, but didn't feel like I was a completely useless opponent.

November 2001 - February 2005

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2ur1emc.png[/IMG]

v--Current Black 2 Team--v
    Lilwun lv34 Maiden lv37 Grandage lv40 Crash lv40 Elizabeth lv32 Ballarina lv30

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
    It seems that many of the japanese players are running Trick Room teams. It just looks like the common strategy there, I guess.

Generally these guys:

I haven't seen too many Jellecent's but plenty of Wash Rotom's. You can expect every Japanese Player to have one :S
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    PM or VM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post

Generally these guys:

Most trick room teams I faced used Rhyperior and Cresselia. The only one of those you posted that I saw a lot was Chandy.

Then again, I haven't been really playing much. I'm doing even worse then the VGCs, even though I'm pretty sure I'm using a better team...

But Rhyperior is a real monster. That thing even OHKOed my Cresselia with Megahorn. Granted, it isn't a max defense Cresselia, but it does have a relaxed nature.

Edit: Generally, would you say Iron Head or Heavy Slam would make a better filler on on Agron in VGC 2013? It's other moves are Head Smash, EQ, and Protect, BTW.
    Edit2: That's it, next time I'm getting a rage powder Amoongus. Fake Out Hariyama just isn't enough for my Cresselia to set up.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 28th January 2013 at 5:56 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I'm at 1670 now, might stop now although I do want to get to 1700.

Had an epic battle last night with someone in the 1500's, he kept icy winding me to the point all my pokemon were slower than a granny!! Really thought he was going to beat me until I had the most awesome piece of luck to stall him out. Check the video 16-21088-45715.
    I bet he was kicking himself.

Wait, you guys really didn't see that many Jellicents? I've faced too many teams that carry Amoonguss + Jellicent .-.

And, I'd say Iron Head > HEavy Slam for more consistency. And, that too I believe Iron Head deals out more damage to Tyranitars. Also, 80 power isn't too bad.

....I just rage quited. After promising myself I wouldn't. Great.

My enemy only had Volcarona and Shedinja left, while I had Agron and Cresselia. They seemed pretty desperate to take Cresselia down, and Shedinja was at +2, so I decided I'd just sacrifice Cress and have Agron head smash Volcarona. Even at +2, Shedinja wouldn't be able to scratch Agron's 180 base defense. And, even though Agrons was holding an item that brough Head Smash up to 88% accuracy, that 12% kicked in, and Volc KOed in the next turn.

I suppose I felt that I was the one who deserved the win, and losing to a Shedinja was rather humiliating, but now I feel awfully guilty...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Currently standing at 20-19, with a rating of 1524. I've had maybe 3 or 4 disconnects? I'm happy about the disconnection rate I've encountered. (:

This has not been an easy tournament for me, hahah. But it's somewhat liberating to have to fight hard for my battles. I'm glad I'm at least in the even, hahah. I've got a couple of battle videos saved up, but this is the only one I have on hand. Figured I'd contribute to the community for once and share.

90-96664-36796

My opponent didn't have the highest rating, I believe it was somewhere in the high 1400s, but it was a fun battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ....I just rage quited. After promising myself I wouldn't. Great.

My enemy only had Volcarona and Shedinja left, while I had Agron and Cresselia. They seemed pretty desperate to take Cresselia down, and Shedinja was at +2, so I decided I'd just sacrifice Cress and have Agron head smash Volcarona. Even at +2, Shedinja wouldn't be able to scratch Agron's 180 base defense. And, even though Agrons was holding an item that brough Head Smash up to 88% accuracy, that 12% kicked in, and Volc KOed in the next turn.

I suppose I felt that I was the one who deserved the win, and losing to a Shedinja was rather humiliating, but now I feel awfully guilty...
    Bad Zach, bad!

Just kidding, it's alright. It's understandable, that's a pretty BS loss. Arceus knows I've come close to DCing on my own; I only don't because I feel bad for my opponent. It sucks to work hard for a battle, then lose the win cos of a DC. But it's totally understandable; losing due to your own hax sucks. xD
    Last edited by jstinftw!; 28th January 2013 at 3:15 PM.

Feel like you need a little more Pokemon in your life? Tune into our show!
    EPISODE 55 - SLOWPOKE HOLIDAY
    Looking for something Pokemon-related to listen to while playing through Pokemon XY? This episode is for you!!
    Released: 12/11/14

Guess who claimed Luxray?!

Nice battle justin^^
    im currently at 23-22-1 but idk for sure what my rank is, im just a little bit above of the 1500 mark
    i wont play anymore in this tournament tho, but overall it wasnt a bad tournament, 90% of the matches i lost were against japanese people so i hope in the next tournament they have the change to be there so i can revenge myself xD
    Proud member of Club Double Trouble

Thank you for the VGC Sub-Forum <3

Apparently the tournament is still going on (I'm not in it, so I have no idea), so I'll re-open this and close it tonight when it ends. Sorry about that! :P

up to about 1560 actually after a few more wins. one loss cause I overpredicted (thought he'd switch his hydreigon out for jellicent or something, so my breloom used bullet seed instead fo mach punch. Then I realized 'my opponent isn't too experienced, ah crap" since he didn't switch XD) It did randomly DC as it was sending data, so hopefully he got his win still (It DC'd there when sending in a win for me earlier. Nintendo, when will you realize P2P is a bad way of running multiplayer)

Still, 1560 at 15-9, bleh definitely not my best. Less than 5 horus left. Unfortunately I have to go do stuff later, so only can battle for another 2 or so.
    Autumn Friendly: 18-4 4 RQ, 1657, 578th place
    International challenge: 16-2 7 RQ 1634
    Spring friendly: 18-0 1721, 173rd

4527 7711 4773 is my 3ds FC,
    Don't have any room for random safari requests :/ Friends list is full as is.

All right, now that it's weekday near noontime for me, I can actually play without any accidental disconnections. I went up against someone whom I saw Ninetales and Charizard on his team, and I lost as I expected them to start the battle with and instead saw Nidoking and Yanmega.

There must be a dearth of players or something, because I saw him again. This time, I was wise to his strategies and switched up my Pokémon--I KOed Nidoking with Qwilfish, leaving Yanmega alone as he couldn't knock out either Qwilfish or Rotom (Fan) with it. He sent up Ninetales and KOed Qwilfish (must really hate the little guy) with Heat Wave. I sent out Shieldon, and through Wide Guard, used Rotom to KO Ninetales. He disconnected immediately afterwards.

I may be in the 1450s, but I can apparently beat people in the 1750s. Glad to know this team can work, as I've had a difficult time getting into its tempo.

So cheesed off!!!! Some stinking German called Max with a rating in the 1880's just RQ'd on me after I smashed him to pieces. I'm at 1660 so that would've boosted me right up.
    Typical German's lose the war and can't take it
    Plus had 2 Koreans RQ on me with ratings in the 1550's (one was called W)

I really wanted to get to 1700 but thanks to the cheats it's not looking likely.

Got a few more wins now last count was up to 1680ish.

Someone tried to Deliberately try to beat me by wasting time. Sadly Mandibuzz was fully healed and due to its higher HP to Ludicolo can ever have, I won by default. You'd think he ragequit right? Nope, here you go: 88-74442-14426

So, I decided to make this the last battle of the International Challenge. I can confirm this team actually has a better win ratio then the last one. Though luck hasn't been on my side this time. Time for my favourite part of the ordeal. Experimenting ways to improve this team.
    Last edited by Halkel; 28th January 2013 at 9:28 PM.
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

Secret Base:

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 265/265 (270/272 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos, Pumpkaboo, and 2 of the other Floette)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    So cheesed off!!!! Some stinking German called Max with a rating in the 1880's just RQ'd on me after I smashed him to pieces. I'm at 1660 so that would've boosted me right up.
    Plus had 2 Koreans RQ on me with ratings in the 1550's (one was called W)

I really wanted to get to 1700 but thanks to the cheats it's not looking likely.

Got a few more wins now last count was up to 1680ish.
    Dude...no, just no.

Anywho i've convinced myself to do some more matches, so hopefully i can make it into the 1700s before closing.

i'm out. Won one, next opponent DC'd at poke select (I'd say it was a bad connection on their end, since it took like 30 seconds just to get past the trainer cards, but tehy had 1608 rating) and won against a 1650ish that put me over 1600 myself. So I'll take what I can get.

Videos, the above mentioned match being first on the list:
    82-69459-53700
    73 98755 12855
    37-83434-37678

I'll probably spend the rest of the time just browsing other videos people posted, and the ones that show up on the search.
    Autumn Friendly: 18-4 4 RQ, 1657, 578th place
    International challenge: 16-2 7 RQ 1634
    Spring friendly: 18-0 1721, 173rd

4527 7711 4773 is my 3ds FC,
    Don't have any room for random safari requests :/ Friends list is full as is.

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Interesting.
    3DS 4382-2401-9157 | Miiverse, X-Box Live, Steam, Apple Game Center: Realinho

I know I'll never go back to 1500 with my team, but I did well considering, alot of the fair battles went well, and I lost 3 via connection failures. I chose to end it as soon as I hit 1400 again. I only battled for the berry at most and to test the win-lose ratio really since the team was moving slower then anticipated, even after several late nights.
    Last edited by Halkel; 28th January 2013 at 9:48 PM.
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

Secret Base:

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 265/265 (270/272 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos, Pumpkaboo, and 2 of the other Floette)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalNinetales View Post
    Dude...no, just no.

Anywho i've convinced myself to do some more matches, so hopefully i can make it into the 1700s before closing.
    Apologies if I offended, was only meant in jest due to heat of the moment losing those points.
    I've made it to 1704 so I'm calling it a day, too many RQ's on there now picking off the 1300-1500's for extra points while cutting off anyone who could damage their ratings.
    Take your losses like men, I went up against Ben7000 in the 1800's and he beat me fair and square so even though I knew I'd lose about 15-20 points I took the loss and then battled more to gain it back tonight.

There must be some for the system to record who is winning in a match (number of pokemon left, HP, etc) and award points to that person in event of RQ or even legitimate internet connection loss.
    Still penalise those who deliberately turn off with the hour ban though.

Alright! I got rating of 1519 so I'm calling it quits. I may not believe in status but I want to end at least one tourney with a rating above 1500. Still! I had alot of fun and My White 2 team was very effective!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    PM or VM me!

Lets see, tried more battles just for fun. I think I met the requirement to get the berry and stopped much earlier today after someone dced on me or my wifi acted up (but think it was the first one and not sure why because pretty sure they'd win). So about an hour ago I played more for fun. Four battles I believe, 3 loses with one win. They weren't complete washouts for me (the ones where I lost) but nothing really great. Was glad to take out a wash rotom which I've had trouble with in the past and a new approach to who leads against rain teams. Both times I believe I started with my bulky psychics and that seemed to do pretty well. So hopefully I'll keep that in mind. I'll also try to remember the ludicolo and absorb bulb combo I've seen a few times already.

Last battle is the one I won. I saved the battle. It was definitely interesting and could have lost because of an interesting soaked shedinja combo. Interesting because they brought in their N's zoroark, however never had it use it's ability because it came into the battle as the last pokémon. And not sure how I feel about soaking shedinja. It's true that a water type has less super effective weaknesses than regular shedinja, but there is a lot of electric and grass type moves to go around, but at the same time flying, rock, ghost, fire, and dark types aren't all to unpopular either. HOWEVER, soak brings the element of surprise because if you see the possibility of shedinja entering the fray, you would try to bring in the regular types it's weak to unless this soak shedinja combo is seen enough. Thank goodness for Geyser's grass knot though. Had to make sure I took out their soaker golduck before I could bring him back into the battle. Oh, and Yunowun did a pretty good taking things out, so proud of him.

Battle vid is 23 05956 92981

November 2001 - February 2005

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2ur1emc.png[/IMG]

v--Current Black 2 Team--v
    Lilwun lv34 Maiden lv37 Grandage lv40 Crash lv40 Elizabeth lv32 Ballarina lv30

31-11-4 and finishing with a 1701 ranking. Why is it that im doing WORSE and WORSE in each tournament i enter? My best was 1822 in the recent autumn friendly with 71 wins and 22 losses. The team i used is the very same team i used in my winter battle. I think what I'll do from now on is concentrate on my previous team and then try to perfect it, because, if anything, that team was doing a really good job of blending standards with original strategies and pokémon on my part. Besides all this, I really liked how my luck was superb today with the hax being on my side, AND as an added bonus, muddy water ALWAYS hit my opponents, ALMOST ALWAYS lowered their accuracy, and only missed ONCE today (and I still won that battle). As a result, I won ALL 7 BATTLES i had today. Next tourney, im torn between trying out a rain team, or working upon my old Autumn Friendly team. Overall, this was a decent tourney, and although I comevto these wifi tourneys just for fun since no regionals, worlds or nationals are near me (and even so, i wouldnt be allowed to go to one) my aim in all tourneys is 1700 (which i've reached). So overall, good day, and good game.

BTW guy above me, very good job of using a dewott. However do you do it?
    Last edited by ReshiramBlue; 29th January 2013 at 12:59 AM.
    [CENTER]My Autumn Friendly 2012 and Winter Battle 2012 Team

My International Challenge (January 2013) Team

My Winter Friendly (2013) Team

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast