Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Will the dub production now have to speed up because of x and y?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default Will the dub production now have to speed up because of x and y?

    well if x and y are supposed to be released around the same time in the US as Japan, and the anime for the previous gen usually finishes a few weeks before the new gen, will the same have to happen for the US now I dont see them missing out on advertising the new gen with the anime in the US.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Either way this is a horrible situation, which would be remedied if Japan released the anime a few months before the actual games, but that's not going to happen.

    The only thing the US dub can do should it come about is:

    Is pick a few episodes (2-4) and air them when the games do come out, go back and finish Episode N, then when it comes to airing the new series, start off with those same few episodes.

    The only problem with this, is Japan would take full precedence of airing first. It's not likely at all for the English Dub (US) to air these episodes around the time the games are released, not even if the new series was to air September 5th, and the English Games won't come out until October 27th.

    Either way there is going to have to be a long period between the two, the original and the dub.

    There's just no way this is going to work out perfectly for anyone, since I actually see the Japanese releasing the anime in September rather than October which will before the games.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    i agree they really have put themselves in a situation that doesn't make sense

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    32

    Default

    The only way they could do this is if they air the Pokemon episodes simultaneously as Japan online by subbing them, kind of like how funimation is doing now with some of their series. The only problem is that Pokemon is for younger viewers so it will be difficult for younger viewers to watch the show like that compared to the older fans who are used to watching anime like this.

  5. #5

    Default

    It would be brilliant if we got another announcement that they are also going to sync the Japanese and Dub episodes too, but yeah I doubt it so we're pretty screwed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    It would be brilliant if we got another announcement that they are also going to sync the Japanese and Dub episodes too, but yeah I doubt it so we're pretty screwed.
    That could never happen, until they close the gap that already exists, and I'm not talking about the obvious gap between the airing of the original, and the airing of the US dub.

    I'm talking about the gap between the end of production of an original episode and the end of the production of a dubbed episode.

    Only then could TPCI collaborate with Japan/TV Tokyo/OLM/Whoever and make it potentially possible.

    But in an instance like that I just don't see about 48 episodes a year. I just don't see it.

    I know TPCI gets the episodes before the air in the original, since Unfezant was in the opening prior to Tranquill evolving in the original. But that only happened because the episode was done with production of the episode, and ready to air, so then they gave said episode to TPCI.

    But still any 6th generation anime episode even the first one is at most in pre-production. I don't think it's quite gotten to the animated stage, but it could be possible.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    That could never happen, until they close the gap that already exists, and I'm not talking about the obvious gap between the airing of the original, and the airing of the US dub.
    But that's exactly my point, what if they have done this without us knowing and want to announce it soon.

    I'm not saying this is even remotely happening, but it would be amazing if they had.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Unova, NY
    Posts
    6,223

    Default

    No.

    There is absolutely no reason to do this.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post
    No.

    There is absolutely no reason to do this.
    Why?

    Oh I get it, you want the dub anime to be behind the release of the X and Y games by several months. It all makes so much more sense now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Why?

    Oh I get it, you want the dub anime to be behind the release of the X and Y games by several months. It all makes so much more sense now.
    No I don't think that's what he meant, but they shouldn't try to overdo it. The worldwide release was hard enough, episodes just can't work that way for a dub.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    No I don't think that's what he meant, but they shouldn't try to overdo it. The worldwide release was hard enough, episodes just can't work that way for a dub.
    I know I know, but it's created one hell of a mess.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dragon Village
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I know I know, but it's created one hell of a mess.
    I think it's fine, remember we used to have even bigger gaps with the 4kids dub. A couple months off the anime and games is nothing compared to back then.

    (credit goes to Skiyomi)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Encinitas,CA
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Wow, I did not even thing about that....thats crazy, I am not sure how this will work lol. I mean people will still watch the X and Y series even if it airs way after the game comes out.

    But if there is a Black and White 2, then that gives them more time to air the series....maybe.

    Back home! TO HOENN!

    Poochyena is claimed by me!
        Spoiler:- Who made what:

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    But that's exactly my point, what if they have done this without us knowing and want to announce it soon.
    .
    Unless TPCI worked it's employees like dogs (aka Slaves), there is no possible way they could've closed the gap,

    Because for one thing: That would mean they would've had already been able to dub the episodes the moment they had to get the copy.

    However you missed my point.

    The Japanese have already done the voice acting on their episodes, before being sent out to TPCI. I suppose the voice acting doesn't matter very much but if I'm not mistaken that's how they translate the episode. So that has to take at least a week or so, and perhaps additional time, to create the proper dub translation to fit the lip flaps, of the anime. And so on and so forth.

    I've thought of this, and unless TPCI worked very closely with the original production team as the episodes are being created, THERE IS NO way that the dub and original can sync up. At best we might get a 2 week delay, if that and that's probably if they push TPCI employees to crap out an episode.

    And it'll be far from decent quality.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    My opinion is that the Japanese anime will start a week or two before the X and Y games come out, as I think something similar happened for Black and White. I think that the dubbers will air a double episode here and there, or just not take any weeks off but Japan does, or something like that. Either way the dub is not going to catch up with the raw, but I believe the gap will at least be closed somewhat.
    {Insert signature here}

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    It would be nice, but I can't see TPCi doing this.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    No, and I really don't want TPCi to, either. Let them take their time and create the good, solid episodes they've been putting out these days in BW. Do we want the rushed BF eps again, people? I don't think so. That's way too unfeasible, and is putting way to much pressure on them. Their gap really isn't that large to start with: 4Kids gap was larger between the episodes (this coming from someone who likes the 4Kids dub more, no less).

    Quote Originally Posted by gohan5 View Post
    I think it's fine, remember we used to have even bigger gaps with the 4kids dub. A couple months off the anime and games is nothing compared to back then.
    I had an idea: maybe TPCi could do another "sneak-peek" esque thing of the X and Y anime in the US and air in on CN. You know, one akin to the "Advanced Generation" preview that aired on Kids' WB and the "Diamond and Pearl" one that aired on CN as well. I like those, actually. Gets you hyped up for the next series.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 22nd January 2013 at 4:59 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Unless TPCI worked it's employees like dogs (aka Slaves), there is no possible way they could've closed the gap,

    Because for one thing: That would mean they would've had already been able to dub the episodes the moment they had to get the copy.
    I know what you mean, and again that's what i'm trying to say, it'd be interesting if they actually managed to do this. I mean it's happened with the games and they made a huge fuss about it.

    Anyway, i've noticed what you've said below so never mind.

    However you missed my point.

    The Japanese have already done the voice acting on their episodes, before being sent out to TPCI. I suppose the voice acting doesn't matter very much but if I'm not mistaken that's how they translate the episode. So that has to take at least a week or so, and perhaps additional time, to create the proper dub translation to fit the lip flaps, of the anime. And so on and so forth.

    I've thought of this, and unless TPCI worked very closely with the original production team as the episodes are being created, THERE IS NO way that the dub and original can sync up. At best we might get a 2 week delay, if that and that's probably if they push TPCI employees to crap out an episode.
    I see what you mean, and there's no point getting in a huge debate since neither of us really know how it plays out for definete.

    But I will say this, there's no reason why they can't hire more people to translate the episodes until they catch up. Voicing them however is definetly one process though as they can't hire new voice actors (please don't change them again).

    I don't know. I don't think it's going to happen I was just saying it's one of the many possibilities.

    And it'll be far from decent quality.
    This made me laugh, because the dub has terrible quality anyway.

    They mistranslate a tonne of lines, improvise and make up their own dialogue and... unfortunately the voices of each character (in BF specifically) sound horrible. I've only just managed to tolerate them during the latter half of DP and through to now.

    I liked all of the VA's from the OS and AG straight off the back. It took time getting used to the new ones although i suppose it was because i was used to the original VA's.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post

    This made me laugh, because the dub has terrible quality anyway.

    They mistranslate a tonne of lines, improvise and make up their own dialogue and... unfortunately the voices of each character (in BF specifically) sound horrible. I've only just managed to tolerate them during the latter half of DP and through to now.

    I liked all of the VA's from the OS and AG straight off the back. It took time getting used to the new ones although i suppose it was because i was used to the original VA's.
    I'm actually used to the current VAs as well, but I don't really have any...erm...affinity/attachment to them like I did with the original VA cast. I got used to them around the tail-end of DP, and the beginning of the first season of BW.

    At least we can be thankful they're much, much better than in BF, and the first 2-3 seasons of DP. It was hard just to watch the dub back then for me. Kudos to them on some significant improvement and I think they're tolerable-good these days. Occasionally pretty good at times.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 22nd January 2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    This made me laugh, because the dub has terrible quality anyway.

    They mistranslate a tonne of lines, improvise and make up their own dialogue and... unfortunately the voices of each character (in BF specifically) sound horrible. I've only just managed to tolerate them during the latter half of DP and through to now.

    I liked all of the VA's from the OS and AG straight off the back. It took time getting used to the new ones although i suppose it was because i was used to the original VA's.

    I didn't say perfect quality, or on par quality with the original.

    I say decent, because I'm pretty sure if there was some serious pushing to get episodes dubbed, everyone would be thankful of the current arrangement.

    Trust me, the more time constraints there are, there's going to be some cutting of corners, going on, so what you may think is terrible quality.

    Just imagine the abomination the dub would produce if it had even more severe time constraints. On top of all the legal issues that would arise from the situation. The dub would crumble, and be put on a long hiatus (if it were to ever return).
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I'm actually used to the current VAs as well, but I don't really have any...erm...affinity/attachment to them like I did with the original VA cast. I got used to them around the tail-end of DP, and the beginning of the first season of BW.

    At least we can be thankful they're much, much better than in BF, and the first 2-3 seasons of DP. It was hard just to watch the dub back then for me. Kudos to them on some significant improvement and I think they're tolerable-good these days. Occasionally pretty good at times.
    You know, that's exactly how I feel on the situation too. Although, when the BF change happened I stopped watching and started watching again (rewatched the earlier ones i'd missed) at the Sinnoh League. At the time of BF I was about to enter secondary school so I was growing out of Pokemon anyway so I suppose I blamed the VA switch on my reason for not watching anymore. Little did I know i'd get sucked back into the franchise four years down the line and realised I can't forget it. I learnt that the VA switch was nothing in reality, it was just me throwing a fit at how 'the new series suck' etc. being immature.

    Ha, look at me now I love everything about the Anime and the Generations. None are better than the other, although I do have favourites.

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I didn't say perfect quality, or on par quality with the original.

    I say decent, because I'm pretty sure if there was some serious pushing to get episodes dubbed, everyone would be thankful of the current arrangement.

    Trust me, the more time constraints there are, there's going to be some cutting of corners, going on, so what you may think is terrible quality.

    Just imagine the abomination the dub would produce if it had even more severe time constraints. On top of all the legal issues that would arise from the situation. The dub would crumble, and be put on a long hiatus (if it were to ever return).
    I agree to an extent, it's hard to see how the voice actors would sound any different if they were pushed harder. The only thing I can think of is that the dialogue lines would be a little more frequent, although in the OS and AG that was nothing out of the ordinary.

    Fair enough dman! It'll be interesting to see what does happen.

    I imagine the XY anime will just be delayed a few months unfortunately.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I break on that yeh they will have too speed up and that the x and y will have to be a few months late but they better not skip the episode N series.

    Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

    Credit to SM

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    You know, that's exactly how I feel on the situation too. Although, when the BF change happened I stopped watching and started watching again (rewatched the earlier ones i'd missed) at the Sinnoh League. At the time of BF I was about to enter secondary school so I was growing out of Pokemon anyway so I suppose I blamed the VA switch on my reason for not watching anymore. Little did I know i'd get sucked back into the franchise four years down the line and realised I can't forget it. I learnt that the VA switch was nothing in reality, it was just me throwing a fit at how 'the new series suck' etc. being immature.

    Ha, look at me now I love everything about the Anime and the Generations. None are better than the other, although I do have favourites.
    Agreed on most things, especially the fact I can't forget the franchise. Personally, I'm a little upset with the anime these days, but also pleased as well at some things as well: but actually (although I may not show it), I'm mostly happy about BW. Only a few things make me upset at times like the Unova League. Either way, it definitely does give me fond memories to look back on, though.

    Only part I disagree with you about is that I do feel the dub switch has caused the English dub to decline in quality in some ways, most notably the voices for the main characters aren't as good as they were before (IMO, of course). Still, you're right, I eventually realized that doesn't give me an excuse to bash the newer series, just because I feel that the show has lost some of its charm and superb VA work over the years in the English dub.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 22nd January 2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I agree to an extent, it's hard to see how the voice actors would sound any different if they were pushed harder. The only thing I can think of is that the dialogue lines would be a little more frequent, although in the OS and AG that was nothing out of the ordinary.

    Fair enough dman! It'll be interesting to see what does happen.

    I imagine the XY anime will just be delayed a few months unfortunately.
    Look at it this way.

    Even if it's Voice actors they still have a director, so they are still acting.

    That means if it was a movie (real life action) with some severe time constraints, we may get something like actors laughing even if the scene isn't funny but was funny because one of the actors messed up their lines, causing something that we see in gag reels, and bloopers. (In VAs it might be grammatical errors, and such).

    It would be an awful mess, that they probably couldn't air anyway, creating a gap to streamline the dubbing processes. Plus the stress of having time constraints could indeed cause the voices of the characters to alter to a worse state of quality.

    In a perfect world, maybe an episode could be dubbed easily within two weeks (good translation, good VAs, good editing, including music and such and so forth) and air within 2 weeks. But keep in mind there are around 48 episodes to dub a year, because 48 seems to be the number of episodes that Japan put out, but I don't know the actual average number of episodes. I just say 48, because of breaks that aren't going to change, it could be like 46 or something. But point being, 48 episodes is a lot to dub, each day of work would have to be (for VAs) be a new episode, at least then they'd have 5 weeks of episode, then maybe they can take a break, or something.

    But I guess I should say I don't know the entire dubbing process. For all we know, they're probably already dubbing the last League Episode as we speak, it's just going to take a few more weeks before we get there.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 22nd January 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Look at it this way.

    Even if it's Voice actors they still have a director, so they are still acting.

    That means if it was movie with some severe time constraints, we may get something like actors laughing even if the scene isn't funny but was funny because one of the actors messed up their lines, causing something that we see in gag reels, and bloopers. (In VAs it might be grammatical errors, and such).

    It would be an awful mess, that they probably couldn't air anyway, creating a gap to streamline the dubbing processes. Plus the stress of having time constraints could indeed cause the voices of the characters to alter to a worse state of quality.

    In a perfect world, maybe an episode could be dubbed easily within two weeks (good translation, good VAs, good editing, including music and such and so forth) and air within 2 weeks. But keep in mind there are around 48 episodes to dub a year, because 48 seems to be the number of episodes that Japan put out, but I don't know the actual average number of episodes. I just say 48, because of breaks that aren't going to change, it could be like 46 or something. But point being, 48 episodes is a lot to dub, each day of work would have to be (for VAs) be a new episode, at least then they'd have 5 weeks of episode, then maybe they can take a break, or something.

    But I guess I should say I don't know the entire dubbing process. For all we know, they're probably already dubbing the last League Episode as we speak, it's just going to take a few more weeks before we get there.
    I think the more time they take, the better the end product will be in terms of the voice acting. So I say, they don't rush it and take their time with it.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •