• Hoenn

23 13.29%
  • Sinnoh

70 40.46%
  • Unova

60 34.68%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most hated on Generation?

R/S was the worst GF has released but Emerald kinda pulled them off from 6 feet down under.
    Sinnoh ftw~

Quote Originally Posted by lolzkidudz View Post
    R/S was the worst GF has released but Emerald kinda pulled them off from 6 feet down under.
    Sinnoh ftw~
    R/S, the birthplace of the modern Pokemon mathematical system. Why is a slight change changing bad to good. That doesn't make sense to me.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

That's.... a really tough one.

Gen I comes into a good amount of hate, but it's also probably the most beloved by the fanbase. Besides, a lot of the hate seems to stem more from a reaction to overly vocal fans rather than from the generation itself.
    Gen II.... I'd almost call that one 50-50. For every person you find who enjoys the Johto games, there's someone who dislikes them.
    Gen III? Kind of the same deal as Johto, except the love and hate are both more intense.
    Gen IV and specifically Sinnoh seems like a good candidate. There are people who really love it, but it seems you're more likely to run into people who didn't care about it or even hated it. However, it did manage to appease many of the people who hated Sinnoh with the Johto remakes.
    As for Gen V, despite the huge fights about it I've seen on the internet, I think it's almost in the same category as Gen I. There's plenty of hate, but it's also beloved by a huge number of fans. It's pretty much become neo-Gen I. It's not the original, but it takes a lot of what made the original special while adding its own elements to it.

I guess in the end, I have to go with Gen IV. Which makes me rather sad because Gen IV is what really drew me deeply into Pokemon, but it seems to me that Sinnoh is the least liked of all the regions and also the one that is widely criticized without being defended. Make a negative remark about any other generation that you please, and you are very likely to get into a heated discussion of some sort. Gen IV? No one really seems to give a flying Grumpig.
    Last edited by zozo; 18th January 2013 at 2:20 AM.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I don't personally dislike any of the regions really, but Unova seems to be the one that receives all the hate. So...

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post
    It's pretty much become neo-Gen I. It's not the original, but it takes a lot of what made the original special while adding its own elements to it.
    And thus, Game Freak's plan succeeded.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Wait, is this poll asking what the most hated on GENERATION is, or what the most hated on REGION? Cos some of the regions were featured across several generations...
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

Most hated region? That'd probably be Unova, it's extremely linear and clustered.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Most hated region? That'd probably be Unova, it's extremely linear and clustered.
    Wouldn't say clustered, and it was only linear in B/W, not in B/W 2.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

Id say Unova gets the most hate because they made a lot of....replacements for the old pokemon so they could only use the new ones.

I personally hate Sinnoh the most. if youre like me and only use pokemon that "belong" to the region youre playing, DPPt dont give you many choices, everythings a legendary or a new member of an old family.
    White: Liquid(Serperior), Steve(Wargle), Kitsune(Zoroark), Bowser(Carracosta), Benisuzume(Volcarona), Yin(Zekrom)
    FC: 2623 2056 1823-Tatyana

Black: Solidus(Samurott), Cell(Reuniclus), Tator(Krookidile), Archie(Archeops), Buckshot(Sawsbuck), Yang(Resiram)
    FC: 1420 6686 1330-Mike

White2: Longpig(Emboar), Lucky(Sh Scolipede), Jimmy(Vanilluxe), Tetsujin(Golurk), Peanut(Jellicent), Rose(Ferrothorn)
    FC: 2237 5012 1360-Kain

Gen V is definitely the most hated. At first, when Black and White came out, some people actually changed their opinions and began respecting the new generation, but after X and Y were released, I've seen a ton of people going like, "Finally! A new generation! I'm tired of Gen V!"

3DS: 2836 • 0189 • 795
    Pokémon Showdown: Witeldram
    Safari:
    Fighting - Sawk, Meditite, Riolu

Either Sinnoh or Unova, I haven't seen hate towards the first 3 Generations in a while.

Unova. The designs aren't that great, I'll admit, but the actual games are pretty underrated.

~marioluigifan05

I'd have to say I see the most active hate for Sinnoh. and its not really the Pokemon as much as it is the gameplay. To quote Ted, "a level 43 Wormple!!!" Most people I know really hate Sinnoh.

I myself. I dislike Hoenn the most. I don't really find the games that...I dunno...they don't draw me in. And I don't really like the world. To much slow surfing. Sinnoh comes in at 2nd worst.

NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping

I find Hoenn to be hated on the most and it's ironic considering the detractors of Gen III now want a remake of the very Gen that they hated the most. Everyone I knew when RSE came out basically called Pokemon a shell of its former glory and instead jumped on the FireRed and LeafGreen bandwagon because it fulfilled their nostalgic wishes. In addition, people hated on Hoenn Pokemon's dex because it wasn't "creative." I gave Hoenn a chance and I found it to be the most amazing region, I mean let's be real, Johto was fun and had lots of new Pokemon but if you knew what you were doing, there wasn't really a challenge in terms of navigation and gym battles, and therefore the game suffered and got too linear very quickly (this is why it's a bit painful to replay HeartGold for me). Kanto was uninteresting and bland. Hoenn at least had interesting routes that forced you to often wonder if you were going the right or wrong way, not to mention it had sea routes which could very easily get you lost. Hoenn is easily the most fun place to navigate IMO. As for the Pokemon designs, I am a believer that every generation has great pokemon and I don't consider any to be proof that GF is running out of ideas or that Gen I was original.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowHat's Revenge View Post
    Wouldn't say clustered, and it was only linear in B/W, not in B/W 2.
    BW1's storyline path is pathetic. Every gym is one city apart, and it's pretty much a straight shot from Nuvema Town to the Pokemon League (with the sole exception of having to backtrack to Rt. 4 and go through Desert Resort and Relic Castle).

BW2 is not much of an improvement. The beginning is even shorter than BW1's, the gym distribution is still terrible (after having the first 6 gyms 1 city apart, the 7th is 4 cities away, and then the 8th requires you to backtrack a few cities and travel through Marine Tube), and is still predominantly linear.

Both games have long stretches of gym after gym with very little exploration, that is why they are so linear and clustered.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 18th January 2013 at 4:25 AM.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

BW1's storyline path is pathetic. Every gym is one city apart, and it's pretty much a straight shot from Nuvema Town to the Pokemon League (with the sole exception of having to backtrack to Rt. 4 and go through Desert Resort and Relic Castle).

BW2 is not much of an improvement. The beginning is even shorter than BW1's, the gym distribution is still terrible (after having the first 6 gyms 1 city apart, the 7th is 4 cities away, and then the 8th requires you to backtrack a few cities and travel through Marine Tube), and is still predominantly linear.

Both games have long stretches of gym after gym with very little exploration, that is why they are so linear and clustered.
    I always felt that was a partial throwback to the Kanto/Johto regions since they were also pretty linear in structure (though not to the extent of BW Unova).

Personally, I prefered the way Hoenn did it over any other region since they didn't have you backtrack too many times and the gym spacing was better and suited to the story.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 18th January 2013 at 5:29 AM.

3rd Gen was the best in my opinion. The Pokemon all looked good and original.

I'd have to say the most hated on one was Gen 5. Those were dark times indeed, all the ice cream Pokemon topics...

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    I always felt that was a partial throwback to the Kanto/Johto regions since they were also pretty linear in structure (though not to the extent of BW Unova).

Personally, I prefered the way Hoenn did it over any other region since they didn't have you backtrack too many times and the gym spacing was better and suited to the story.
    Please, don't even compare Unova to Kanto. Kanto isn't even close to being as linear as Unova. You have plenty of options for progressing the region, especially once you get to Celadon. There's two different ways to get to Fuschia City. You can go to Cinnibar as soon as you use Surf. There's about a dozen ways to complete the gyms, and you can choose when to do the gyms and when to do the Team Rocket events. It is far from linear, not even close to Unova. Johto is fairly linear too, but at least there you have options, for instance you can go to Mahogany as early as before the 4th gym even though it's meant to be the 7th. Unova is clearly the worst, the game railroads you in every possible way.

I don't entirely know for sure, but I see a lot of people saying that Gen IV/Sinnoh caused the series to go down. I don't really understand that, from my perspective, Generation IV was amazing! Due to it's enhancements, new system that wasn't title "Game Boy" and so much more!

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Please, don't even compare Unova to Kanto. Kanto isn't even close to being as linear as Unova. You have plenty of options for progressing the region, especially once you get to Celadon. There's two different ways to get to Fuschia City. You can go to Cinnibar as soon as you use Surf. There's about a dozen ways to complete the gyms, and you can choose when to do the gyms and when to do the Team Rocket events. It is far from linear, not even close to Unova. Johto is fairly linear too, but at least there you have options, for instance you can go to Mahogany as early as before the 4th gym even though it's meant to be the 7th. Unova is clearly the worst, the game railroads you in every possible way.
    Like I said, "not to the extent of BW Unova," haha. I forgot about Kanto's dual routes (I was only thinking in terms of towns) but Johto's options was still pretty limited considering you can't do much in Mahogany if you visited there and everything else is pretty laid out aside from the slight backtracking after the 5th gym. Regardless, I will admit I was wrong in that previous assessment of mine.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 18th January 2013 at 6:19 AM.

I see gen IV to be hated on the most :/...Slow? Maybe. Boring, the same? I disagree >:/...

then gen 1 as the second most hated despite me knowing that's not the truth. All I'm seeing from that was are "backlash genwunners". IE, all of the hate on gen 1 to push back the genwunners. xD

I still stick to Unova's linearness making it easier to follow the story and making the first playthrough quick and fast paced. IE, for a first playthrough, it was pretty good.

But the lack of exploration in the game makes it hard to want to run through the Region again. If it wasn't for the story, I wouldn't even try to force myself to finish it when going through it again. Its just not as fun the second time around.
    Last edited by EmphaticPikachu; 18th January 2013 at 5:59 AM.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Most people that I've talked to like HGSS but hate Sinnoh. Eh. I can't say that I hated Sinnoh but I did enjoy the other regions more. I think it's actually more along the lines of that people make out gen IV to the beginning of the era "Gamefreak has lost it's creativity." Basic genwunner logic.
    Last edited by NaCl; 18th January 2013 at 6:18 AM.
    hehe

Sinnoh, but honestly, I don't know why people dislike it that much. I like it a lot.

I mean, the region isn't as beautiful as Johto and Hoenn, but at least Sinnoh isn't as boring as Johto. The Pokémon from Sinnoh are awesome, there are some bad and ugly, but the same goes to every region, the Gyms and leaders were cool, the music was outstanding, Team Galactic was awesome, etc. The biggest problem was the slowness (30fps, before Gen IV the games were set at 60fps), but then again HGSS were at 30fps as well and no one complained (maybe because nostalgia speaks a lot for some people).

IMO Sinnoh/Kanto > Johto > Unova/Hoenn (in terms of regions, not judging the games per se).

Definitely fourth gen, or more specifically, the Sinnoh games. They seem to get all the hate, although the Hoenn and Unova games are getting some of it as well. While Hoenn has been hated much in the past, it seems to be getting a lot of love recently. Unova is in the same situation as Sinnoh for most parts, altough I have personally seen more hate for Sinnoh, which is why it gets my vote. Kanto and Johto almost only gets love and praise for no good reason.

As for my personal opinion about best regions/generations: Unova = Sinnoh = Hoenn > Kanto >>> Johto

Sinnoh got the most hate and it definitely deserved it.

Hoenn and Johto seem to get a lot of hate too, but they arent as bad as Sinnoh.
    The Graceful Assassin

Credit to FairyWitch

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast