Thread: Team Living in Darkness (PO MonoDark)

Default Team Living in Darkness (PO MonoDark)

So, after making some terrible UU team that failed pretty hard, I got frustrated and went back to the only thing I can do decently well; make Monotype teams. Dark is a type I've done before to moderate success, but it wasn't so successful in the actual monotype tier. The main problem with Dark is that each Pokemon fulfills so many roles that if I start losing Pokemon keeping my team together becomes nearly impossible. For instance, if I lose Sableye, I can't switch in on Terrakion anymore, and if it's Scarfed I can kiss my *** goodbye. Yeah, I'm still working on it... Anyways, here's the team.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
    Timid - Illusion
    252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    -Nasty Plot
    -Taunt
    -Flamethrower
    -Dark Pulse

Zoroark's job is simple; keep the Rocks from going up, and if possible kill something. If not, that's okay. I run Sableye last in my team display, so Zoroark disguises himself at Sableye, making opponents much more hesitant to try and blow him away with a Fighting move. Taunt is self-explanatory, and the rest is really just filler so he can hopefully kill something.

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
    Lonely - Moxie
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    -Sucker Punch
    -Brave Bird
    -Heat Wave
    -Roost

And here's your MoxieKrow, an essential part of really any successful MonoDark team. MoxieKrow is an amazing late-game sweeper when most things are in Sucker Punch's KO range. Brave Bird smashes slower threats like Conkeldurr who go for the Ice Punch. Heat Wave melts Steel types, but I'm testing Superpower in its place. Roost is for healing off Life Orb/Brave Bird recoil when possible.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
    Naive - Levitate
    252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Draco Meteor
    -Fire Blast
    -Dark Pulse
    -Superpower

Hydreigon is an amazing revengekiller. Draco Meteor coming off of his great Sp. Atk stat hits like a truck, with Fire Blast to nail Steel types. Dark Pulse is a secondary STAB with no drawbacks, and Superpower is mainly for the pink blobs, although it doesn't 3HKO so I might look into other options.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
    Adamant - Defiant
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sucker Punch
    -Thunder Wave
    -Iron Head

I love Bisharp. Despite a nasty 4x Fighting weakness that makes Mach Punch unsurvivable, he brings me some Rocks and Paralysis support that Honchkrow loves. Stealth Rocks is... Well, Stealth Rock. Sucker Punch gives me a STAB priority move to chuck around. I'm carrying Thunder Wave over Sword's Dance because I want Bisharp to fill more of a utility role rather than sweep. Iron Head is a second STAB with a nice flinch chance.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Jolly - Unnerve
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    -Dragon Dance
    -Ice Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake

I really wanted to use Tyranitar, but my entire team would hate the passive Sand damage, so I ran Unnerve. It's useless, but at least it's not detrimental. DD Tyranitar makes a great mid-late game sweeper after Bisharp, Hydriegon, and Sableye have worn threats down and hopefully burned/paralyzed them. After two Dragon Dances, he becomes a fast, potent sweeper that rips through weakened teams. Stone Edge and Earthquake form EdgeQuake, and Ice Punch hits things like Gliscor and Landorus.

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Bold - Prankster
    252 HP, 128 Sp. Def, 124 Defence, 8 Speed
    -Will O' Wisp
    -Substitute
    -Recover
    -Taunt

Sableye takes on a purely support role here burning opposing physical sweepers and then stalling with Substitute. We've all seen this set so we all know how it works. I'm running 8 Speed to ensure I can Taunt opposing Sableye (plus there's some guy running around the monotype ladder with a similar Sableye running 4 Speed EVs). Other than that, it's just your typical stally Sableye.

So that' it.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 19th January 2013 at 3:24 AM.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Will rate fully later, for now: Fire Punch > Ice Punch on TTar Substitute > Taunt on Zoroark and maybe Focus Blast > Flamethower to beat Heatran
    The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store
    - Send me a VM, I have 1 extra code.

Shiny Gengar:
    - Autumn Tour, see above.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

Dude, it's MonoDark. Explain to me how MonoDark deals with Focus Blast, besides running Sableye which he already does...

Focus Blast is also 2 words, and not the most reliable move xD
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Dude, it's MonoDark. Explain to me how MonoDark deals with Focus Blast, besides running Sableye which he already does...

True as well, I shall now delete that post for the overall obviousness of it.
    FL 2013 WINTER VGCs SENIORS TOP 8!!!

Friend Code: 4124-5357-7452 PM me if you add.
    Safari: Flying
    Pokemon: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

2013 Winter Friendlies
    Win/Loss Streak: 21-15

Pokemon Global Challenge 2013
    Win/Loss Streak: 10-9

Spoiler:- :

Spiritomb....

EDIT:

Plus Mandibuzz and HonchKrow are neutral. Although Honchkrow won't be taking many hits haha. But Mandibuzz is a pretty good choice imo.
    Last edited by Hauntershadow92; 18th January 2013 at 1:01 AM.

^Click the pic for my PASBL Trainer Summary!^

Spoiler:- Credits:

Maybe Swords Dance on Bisharp so it can hit a bit harder. I think that the +2 Sucker Punch would help out your team a lot
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Spiritomb @ Choice Specs could help beat annoying Fighting types. Trick screws walls, Shadow Ball for STAB and Psychic for them Fighters. Water Pulse/ WoW as filler could work. The team is nice as is, but you may like Super Luck HonchKrow @ Razor Claw for breaking defense boosted stuff. Only if you like hax thouhg
    The Netherlands:
    ORAS Demo available at:
    - Nintendo Autumn Tour. Dates and locations found >here<
    - Using Nintendo Zone in a Game Mania store
    - Send me a VM, I have 1 extra code.

Shiny Gengar:
    - Autumn Tour, see above.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

I'm going to assume there was a post somewhere I didn't see lol...

And yes, I ****ing hate Focus Blast, and Close Combat, and Fighting in general, but there's not a hell of a lot I can do about it. If I can get Sableye in on a Close Combat I can normally shut down whatever it came from with Will O' Wisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntershadow92 View Post
    Spiritomb....

EDIT:

Plus Mandibuzz and HonchKrow are neutral. Although Honchkrow won't be taking many hits haha. But Mandibuzz is a pretty good choice imo.
    Mandibuzz, hmm. I simply don't have the teamslot for it. If it had Thunder Wave or Stealth Rock, I might consider it over Bisharp, but it doesn't and I don't feel like trying to Toxic stall Terrakion and then getting a Sword's Dance put up in my face. Spiritomb is something I might look at, although, once again, I'm not sure where I'd put it. If I had my way I'd have an extra two teamslots for Weavile and Houndoom as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Maybe Swords Dance on Bisharp so it can hit a bit harder. I think that the +2 Sucker Punch would help out your team a lot
    It would, but unfortunately not as much as paralysis/Stealth Rock support. I'll try it over Iron Head but a Sucker Punch monoattacker just seems bad to me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDriver View Post
    Spiritomb @ Choice Specs could help beat annoying Fighting types. Trick screws walls, Shadow Ball for STAB and Psychic for them Fighters. Water Pulse/ WoW as filler could work. The team is nice as is, but you may like Super Luck HonchKrow @ Razor Claw for breaking defense boosted stuff. Only if you like hax thouhg
    Hmm, SpecsTomb? Sounds interesting, I'll look into it. I've tried HaxKrow before and I just feel MoxieKrow is better. After two KOs MoxieKrow's non-crit attacks hit as hard as HaxKrow's crits. Plus, the only common defensive boosters are Sigilyph, who normally (for some reason) runs a Stored Power monoattacker set, which obviously can't touch my team, and Calm Mind'ers, who are put at a large disadvantage against Sableye, Bisharp, and Honchkrow. In fact, standard Recover/Calm Mind/Focus Blast/Psyshock Reuniclus can't even touch Sableye, although Sableye can't either.

Also, I'm trying Substitute > Roost on Honchkrow.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

I just noticed, your Sableye is Brave. Is there a reason for that?

^Click the pic for my PASBL Trainer Summary!^

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntershadow92 View Post
    I just noticed, your Sableye is Brave. Is there a reason for that?
    Yeah, I get Brave and Bold confused all the time cause they mean the same damn thing. >.<

Editting it now.

~Richard Dawkins

Shameless self promotion.

~Richard Dawkins

hey-o.

i dont think its an understatement to say that zoroark's best asset is his stab sucker punch.

Zoroark @Life Orb
    Naughty
    200Atk 96Sp.Atk 216Spe
    -Sucker Punch
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flamethrower
    -F-Blast
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.