Thread: "Artist in the rain"

Default "Artist in the rain"

This is the team I am currently testing on various battle sims and I would like the oppinion of anybody who will give me one. Please no purely negative comments about the setup. I would appreciate some usefull feedback. Just to clarify, this is an OU tiered team.

Politoad
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: +def, -atk whatever one that is
    EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Def and 4 sAtk
    Item: Leftovers
    Moveset: Scald, Toxic, Ice Beam, Focus Blast

Basically he's the weather man, setting up the rain for the rest of the team and giving me a little bit of bulk and good coverage. I started using him after getting wrecked by an all water team with him as a lead. I don't usually lead with him but he can usually force my opponent to keep their own weather changers in reserve.

I usually use him to keep tyranitar and hipowdon at bay while boosting my water's if those aren't present in the opposing team. Toxic is for walls like jelicent, ice beam for a few dragons and gliscor, focus blast hits tyranitar and heatran, scald for STAB and burn chance.

Troll, Smeargle
    Ability: Own Tempo
    Nature: Jolly, +spd, -satk
    EV's: 252 Spd, 252 Hp, 4 sDef
    Item: Focus Sash
    Moveset: Shell Smash, Spore, Substitute, Baton Pass

This is the pokemon I get insulted for using. I have used smeargle since I first caught one on my Gold version for gameboy color. Back then I filled his moveset with stuff like hyper beam and flamethrower. Now that we have shell smash though, I'm going with this.

I put him in this team after seeing a lot of ninjask boosting, so I just use smeargle because I like his form of boosting a little better. Usually goes spore on opposing, shell smash, then baton pass into whatever team member I think would do best.

Starmie
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid, +Spd, -Atk
    EV's: 252 Spd, 252 sAtk, 4Hp
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Moveset: Ice Beam, Surf, Lightningbolt, Rapid Spin

Starmie has been an ever changing setup since I started using him a few weeks ago. I first had him using a life orb and recover instead of rapid spin, but then I got outsped by a landorus that OHKO'd him so I switched to an even faster set. He is the one that needs the most work I think.

The first three moves miss very little in the tier as far as coverage goes and rapid spin is there to fill in the last move. Choice scarf makes sure he's fast enough to hit almost anything before they can hit him. Got him mostly because i was seeing a lot of landorus and jelicent that the others couldn't handle.

Vaporeon
    Ability: Hydration
    Nature: +Def, -Atk
    EV's: 252 Hp, 252 Def, 4sAtk
    Moveset: Icebeam, Scald, Rest, Protect

Just a nice little bulky vaporeon. Protect is in there for the odd two turn move and to stall a little to gain some more bulk from leftovers if I'm worn down.

Started using this set because of the stall value of hydration rest and protect. I usually end up using vaporeon after using toad to toxic/burn. Started using him after taking one too many hard hits that the other members of the team couldn't handle and to add some consistency to the team.

Keldeo
    Ability: Justified
    Nature: Modest +sAtk, -Atk
    EV's: 252 Spd, 252 sAtk, 4 Hp
    Moveset: Secret Sword, Surf, Calm Mind,

His last move is blank because I don't remember what it was. Suggestions for that slot are welcome. Keldeo is here because I love the design and typing and because he just WRECKS EVERYTHING after baton passing into him after a shell smash. Yeah, Keldeo is awesome.

After looking at shell smash cloister I decided to see how that boost might work with Keldeo. It ended up working very very well. Secret sword hits hard on everything after a shell smash and in rain surf can decimate anything secret sword doesn't. Calm mind is for those times that I don't get a chance to pass into him.

Cloyster
    Ability: Skill Link
    Nature: Adamant, +Atk, -sAtk
    EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
    Item: Life Orb
    Moveset Shell Smash, Icicle Spear, Razor Shell, Rock Blast

I took this straight from the serebii pokemon of the week. After smeargle this is the pokemon people hate on me the most for and I see where they're coming from. Cloyster is crazy strong after shell smash especially with life orb. I very rarely have to use him as I usually start with smeargle into keldeo but he's there looming over the heads of my opponent.

Any suggestions about this team are appreciated, I know it needs some work as it's mostly just bulky waters and sAtk'ers. If you just want to trash on any member of this team please do not post here. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MajesticX; 18th January 2013 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
    PASBL Level 1 Trainer

Current stats
    KOs: 2 TP: 9 SP: 0
    Record is 1-2

Anything with Thunderbolt (or some opposing Rain team's Thunder) destroys this team. Only Smeargle isn't weak, and Smeargle's not that great anyway. Rain teams need synergy too, you can't just spam Water-types and expect it to work. Ferrothorn's a great example. Other Steel-types love playing in the Rain. So does anything with a Fire problem really. One other thing you might try is a Gastrodon set something like:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Recover

Back from school, I can finish this now. Anyway, that's your typical Tank Gastro, and working with the restriction of leaving Keldeo (fine, it's great in rain), Politoed (obviously, it's a necessity) and Smeargle (not sure I see why on this one, Smeargle's meh at best and way too predictable). Dragonite is a nice option over Gastrodon if you want to mitigate your Grass weakness but it costs you an Electric immunity (not a problem, Thundurus-T has one too). Here's the DNite set:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
    Trait: Multiscale
    Mild Nature (+SpA, -Def)
    EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
    - Hurricane
    - Aqua Tail
    - Thunder
    - Roost

It's a bit of an odd Dragonite, but it's designed to abuse the rain to the fullest. It has fantastic offensive coverage and solid mixed offenses, plus Multiscale which also goes fantastically with Roost. If you don't like Roost for some reason, Extremespeed and Earthquake can be used, but I find Roost to be the better option.

Next up you need an answer to Electrics and if you opt not to use Gastrodon (even if you do use Gastrodon, for that matter) you could try Thundurus-T

Thundurus-T @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Thunder
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power Ice
    - Volt Switch

I'm suggesting the Scarf set because I notice your team could really benefit from a revenge-killer if you opt to change Starmie, although with Volt Switch it appreciates the spin support Starmie can provide. You can find other sets on Smogon if you don't want to use the Scarf variant, Thundurus-T has several viable ones.

Finally, as a defensive anchor, pivot and all-around excellent Rain Pokemon (I'd almost call it a staple really), I'm gonna suggest one of my favorites, Ferrothorn. Reuniclus is definitely my all-time favorite, but Ferrothorn's up there too, along with Galvantula. ANYWAY. Here's the set I usually run:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Power Whip

Ferrothorn is amazing in the rain, where it loses that crippling 4x Fire weakness. It's a pretty simple supporter set really, Power Whip is a bit weaker than Gyro Ball at its strongest and less-accurate, but I hate Steel's offensive coverage. Power Whip hits a lot of things Rain hates, like Gastrodon, and besides. It has STABLE power and doesn't clash with T-wave.

Short descriptions are short, but I get a bit lazy on them when I rate xD
    Last edited by loco1234; 18th January 2013 at 11:47 PM.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

i honestly dont see smergales use on this team as both sweepers have set up moves, and as loco said electric pokemon are a huge threat, as well as breloom, and amoongus seems to wall this team. I would say drop smeargle as he doesnt really do much besides smash pass, i would say for thunderus therian as he helps patch up your electric weakness via volt absorb, and you already have rapid spin support. I think his choice scarf set would benefit the most. Vaporean is rather gimmacky and not to useful in the long run as once the weather is changed, its crippled, i would say switch it out for tornadus incarnate as smogon is probably banning tornadus therian soon, and prankster tailwind will give cloyster and keldeo and edge with speed. With keldeo, if you try tornadus i, i would say try choice specs as it hit ridiculously hard in the rain. On cloyster i would use the white herb to fix the defense drop from shell smash or focus sash so a mach punch doesnt kill you. Lastly, if you want to keep smeargle, i would say give keldeo a LO and 4 attacks, or drop vaporean for latios with a LO and 4 attacks
        Spoiler:- thunderus move set:

Spoiler:- tornadus i:

Spoiler:- keldeo:

Spoiler:- latios:

hope this helps

Jellicent walls this team extremely hard. Not sure I remember but Starmie can't even 2HKO Jellicent without rocks while Jellicent can 2HKO with Shadow Ball, OHKOing with SR + 1 layer of Spikes. I'd recommend HP Ghost on Keldeo for this reason. Also swap out Smeargle as previous posts have said as it does nothing for this team at all. I'd swap it for Ferrothorn if you want a defensive pivot, or Thundurus-T for some offensive presence and sends Jellicent fleeing.

I guess I'm going to mention that smeargle keldeo and politoad are the only three I am not getting rid of. I am open to suggestions on moveset, items, etc. But those three are staying. Thank you for those that have sent me suggestions, I appreciate it.
    PASBL Level 1 Trainer

Current stats
    Record is 1-2

Yeah, I did know about the electric weakness and grass, I just wanted to try this out.
    PASBL Level 1 Trainer

Current stats
    Record is 1-2

Expand on the first four descriptions please. Otherwise I will lock and infract.

One nitpick, SmashPass Smeargle should ALWAYS run Magic Coat, even though it's not standard. I find he never gets a chance to pass a Substitute, and Magic Coat lets you **** with Taunt and Whirlwinders. You have no idea how many times it's saved my *** when a Skarmory tries to Whirlwind me or a Deoxys tries to Taunt me.

Full rate tomorrow.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

bump to top
    PASBL Level 1 Trainer

Current stats
    Record is 1-2

bump bump bump
    PASBL Level 1 Trainer

Current stats
    Record is 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticX View Post
    bump bump bump
    There is no need to bump after a week of no activity lol. I'm going to lock this. Re-post this team with whatever changes you made. However if you have been using this team for two weeks and have made no changes you might as well not bother, since by ignoring everyone's rates you are wasting everyone's time.

I'm the mean mod.