Thread: my first stall team rate please!

Default my first stall team rate please!

This is my very first stall team for use in white two.. I'm open to any kind or criticism it takes to make this team better so shoot away please if you notice anything... So on with the team

Hippowdon @leftovers
    (impish nature- EVS: 252 hp/252 def)
    Trait:sand stream
    -stealth rock
    -earthquake
    -ice fang
    -slack off

pretty standard. Sets up stealth rock and has powerful ground STAB EQ as main attack and ice fang for coverage and those annoying air balloons... Has recovery with slack off

Skarmory @ shed bell
    (impish nature- EVS: 252 hp/ 200 def/ 56 speed)
    Trait:sturdy
    -spikes
    -roost
    -whirlwind
    -brave bird

The 56 speed evs are to outspeed other skarms that might also be running whirlwind. skarmory is a great physical dragon resister of the party as well as a great physical wall and sets up spikes.. Recovery with roost

Tentacruel @ black sludge
    (calm nature - EVS: 252 hp/ 156 def/ 100 sp.def)
    Trait: liquid ooze
    -rapid spin
    -scald
    -hidden power electric
    - toxic/ protect/ toxic spikes (not sure on this one)

My toxic spikes absorber as well as rapid spinner ... I chose scald over surf in hopes of a burn and hidden power electric mainly as a gyarados counter as my party has no other real way to counter him specifically.

Spiritomb @ leftovers
    (calm nature - EVS: 252 hp/ 100 def / 156 sp.def)
    Trait: pressure
    -rest
    -sleep talk
    -will o wisp
    - dark pulse

My pp staller of Pokemon that have powerful moves. Spritomb also functions as a spinblocker for the team. Will o wisp to ease physical moves from spiritomb and rest +sleep talk to stall the other team... Was thinking on running the protect + pain split + sucker punch + will o wisp set here as well

Blissey @ leftovers
    (bold nature- EVS 252 def/ 252 hp)
    -wish
    -protect
    -flamethrower
    - toxic

Healer of team and is the toxistaller as well.. put evs into hp and def to maximize her rather weak def stat and help her handle steel threats such as scizor better.

Meganium @ leftovers
    ( bold nature- EVS: 252 hp/ 100 def/ 156 sp.def)
    Trait: overgrow
    -aromatherapy
    - protect
    -leech seed
    - Giga drain/ grass knot

Cleric of team. Didn't have celebi for an option here so this was the poke I picked .. Has leech seed support and Giga drain for extra longevity and protect for scouting and free turns of healing with leech seed

Please note this is my first stall team ( which I hear aren't very good nowadays) but after getting destroyed by one the other day it made me want to try one .. Please feel free to tell me whatever you think would be helpful for this team. Thanks

Shaymin outclasses Meganium in every single way. Mixed Hydreigon with entry hazards demolishes this team as well as like a MixApe. Tentacruel is really your only answer to them and it'll get worn down eventually. All stall teams nowadays need some offensive presence. At school so I can't really recommend much except a Scarf Keldeo off the top of my head.

Ok well meganium was just a random poke that sorta suited the team... I was thinking a scizor with the following moveset to provide the team with coverage and priority as well.. I was thinking scizor with choice scarf and with moves u turn/bug bite, superpower, bullet punch, 4th move is a toss up.... Either him or a scarfed hitmonchan in replace of meganium... Was going with ferrothorn originally but didn't want to many fire weaknesses and fighting as well.
    Last edited by stinkypinky92; 23rd January 2013 at 7:53 PM.

Scizor could work, the Choice Band set at least. Hitmonchan is too frail and doesn't really have the sheer power to work out. Spiritomb isn't very viable as it isn't going to be tanking powerful Fire Blasts, Hydro Pumps, etc. with hazards littered around it isn't going to live much longer. I'd swap HP Electric for Subsitute on Tentacruel for a SubStall-ish set that can still handle Gyarados by stalling it out with Scald a urn or Toxic. It can't do much to Skarmory without multiple boosts either where Skarm can just phaze it out.

Any advice for a good replacement for spiritomb? I was going to use jellicent but that again opens up to many electric weaknesses either skarm or tent would have to go

You could take a slightly more offensive approach and go with SubDisable Gengar.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
    Timid - Levitate
    252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Substitute
    -Disable

Gengar helps you win stall wars by shitting on opposing stall-based Pokemon. Most stall-based Pokemon rely on passive damage to take out threats and carry only one attacking move, if any (Skarmory's Brave Bird, Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball/Power Whip, Jellicent's Scald), so you can Substitute, blocking out Will o' Wisp and the likes, then Disable their attacking move when they use it to break your sub. Set up another sub, and they're helpless as you blow them away with Shadow Ball or Focus Blast, which offers the best coverage possible, hitting everything in the game at least neutrally. On top of that, this set forces a lot of switches, racking up Hazard damage.

Now Meganium... To be honest, I'm not even sure how a cleric or Grass type benefits you much, so I'm going to recommend the king of DPPt stall, still a threat in 5th generation, TormenTran.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Calm - Flash Fire
    252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Def
    -Torment
    -Lava Plume
    -Protect
    -Toxic

With 12 resistances/immunities, a LOT of threats carry only one move that can even slightly hurt Heatran, which makes Heatran one of the few viable users of the Torment stalling tactic, which combines Torment and Protect to either force switches or rack up Toxic damage. Plus, this shits on Choice locked wallbreakers as they can only hit him every other turn. Standard TormenTran runs 220 Speed EVs to outrun max Speed positive Tyranitar, but to be honest he doesn't seem to threaten you much as is so maximizing bulk will probably get you farther. It also normally runs Substitute over Toxic, but with an immunity to burns and poison and the ability to 2HKO nearly all users of Leech Seed bar things like Sp. Def Celebi, there's not a lot it does for you.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

I don't see TormenTran as a viable option anymore. It was a favorite of mine in DPP but with new, faster threats, I just don't see it as viable. Common wallbreakers still maul it to the ground (CB Terrakion, Specs Latios, etc.). If you want a cleric, utilize Blissey in that role or find a Celebi. In all honesty, you don't need a cleric. Almost all your team is immune to Toxic or can remove it in some way with the exception being Hippowdon.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    I don't see TormenTran as a viable option anymore. It was a favorite of mine in DPP but with new, faster threats, I just don't see it as viable. Common wallbreakers still maul it to the ground (CB Terrakion, Specs Latios, etc.). If you want a cleric, utilize Blissey in that role or find a Celebi. In all honesty, you don't need a cleric. Almost all your team is immune to Toxic or can remove it in some way with the exception being Hippowdon.
    I wouldn't ever use TormenTran on an offensive team, but on stall...?

Well, maybe you're right, so this could work too.

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Calm - Prankster
    252 HP, 128 Defence, 128 Sp. Def, 4 Speed
    -Taunt
    -Recover
    -Will O' Wisp
    -Night Shade / Substitute

Sableye is probably one of the few stall-based Pokemon viable even on offensive teams. Thanks to Prankster, non-attacking moves get +1 priority. Taunt lets you shut down hazard setters and set-up sweepers, and you can use Will O' Wisp to rack up passive damage. Priority Recover is what makes this thing such a ***** to take down. In the last slot Night Shade is standard, but Sableye is the farthest thing from Taunt bait you get so Substitute can work to stall more effectively and block out surprise Toxic's.

Come to think of it, you could even replace Spiritomb with this for nearly identical synergy.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

On stall teams I used TormenTran as a Stallbreaker not used against offensive mons unless I knew I could take a hit w/o the coverage move cleaning it up. With stall rapidly decreasing in usage, TormenTran's viability has shot down as well with common threats carrying 2+ moves that can take it out (Terrakion, Landorus-T with EdgeQuake, Keldeo with Surf + Secret Sword).

For the Sableye I'd move more if not all Def EV's into SpD with WoW basically crippling physical attackers as no non-boosted burned physical attacker will do 50-60% dmg.

tHanks for all the advice :P I did find I needed more offensive presence so I decided to swap meganium for choice band scizor so I have some priority while powering it up with technician and I replaced spiritomb with the substitute idea I really liked the sounds of that.. That would give me a spin blocker that is able to cripple the other team .. And ill use blissey with wish and protect with maybe thunderbolt and ice beam to add some coverage??

Both on Blissey is a no. Only attacking move besides Seismic Toss that should be even considered at Flamethrower or Ice Beam to hit switch-ins hard, Scizor and Dragons respectively. Wish / Protect / Then mix of 2 of the 3, Toxic, Seismic Toss, Flamethrower OR Ice Beam.