Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 193

Thread: Will Gary come back in Unova ?

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Unlikely but I hope so xD Though Idk if I am prepared to see his redesign with those sparkly eyes hahah
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2n0j700.png[/IMG]
    Thanks Pat!

    "The lunatic is in my head
    You raise the blade, you make the change
    You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane.

    You lock the door
    And throw away the key
    There's someone in my head but it's not me.
    " - Brain Damage,Pink Floyd.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    That's the same thing people thought about Misty until she didn't actually appear in DP at all. There is no indication the writers have to make each character appear once every saga. I'm not expecting to see him at all in BW.
    You can't compare Misty and Gary, it's not exactly the same. Gary is Ash's childhood friend, first rival, and, at some point, part of his neighbor. Misty was a random girl of Cerulean before they encountered each other. He is the grandson of the professor who's taking care of Ash's Pokémon 24 hours on 24 hours, that is always taking informations about Ash's journey. Misty is the sister of the gym leaders of the Cerulean Gym. Don't you see the aspects that make Gary a hundred time different than Misty ? Misty got more screen time than Gary, that's a fact. Second, due to their differences, I think she has less chances than Gary to come back. Finally, we can't take off a character like this, without a goodbye scene, or something more valuable for an important character such as Gary. Even a Side Story episode would be appreciate.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 30th January 2013 at 10:23 PM.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt account

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    He appeared in a grand total of 2 AG episodes, (and really, a small flashback scene should only make it like 1 real appearance), and he appeared in 3 DP episodes.

    So as you can see, the writers don't exactly think Gary needs to appear much in the show. He hasn't appeared much at all over the last 10 years.....like 5 episodes tops out of the last 500+.....
    Cyber, here's the problem with the same spiel you give about many main and recurring characters odds of appearing. Lets say you have a die that hasn't rolled a six in a while. Does the fact that it hasn't rolled a six alter the odds of doing so? Never mind that it will eventually, that's not the point. The point is, probabilities are not based on past events. Now, anime writing isn't random like rolling a die, but of our speculation of which, the same principle still applies.
    Last edited by Bluelatios*; 31st January 2013 at 4:34 AM.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Gary might get a random apperance at the lab, when Ash returns to Kanto or w/e. It won't be major, and I certainly can't see him sticking around for a short arc anymore.

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Cyber, here's the problem with the same spiel you give about many main and recurring characters odds of appearing. Lets say you have a die that hasn't rolled a six in a while. Does the fact that it hasn't rolled a six alter the odds of doing so? Never mind that it will eventually, that's not the point. The point is, probabilities are not based on past events. Now, anime writing isn't random like rolling a die, but of our speculation of which, the same principle still applies.
    The show has been running for 16 years. The writers don't have to rely on characters from nearly two decades ago when the current cast of kids didn't grow up with them.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The show has been running for 16 years. The writers don't have to rely on characters from nearly two decades ago when the current cast of kids didn't grow up with them.
    Going by this logic same could have been said for any past character writers brought back in Sinnoh and BW series.

    In long running show like pokemon which is based as continuity following adventures of constant protagonist it only makes sense to keep characters which were important part of pokemon history contributing to Ash growth as trainer relevant, receiving some recognition. Otherwise whats the point of introducing them in first place if any development they experienced, potential to offer more and contribution they gave to push anime forward is going to be erased? Like it never happened or mattered in first place?

    That's not creative way to keep some show exciting with writers current approach with little to none continuity, intermittent development and disrespect toward history and previous important characters only increasing disappointment among viewers with constant decline in popularity with each passing generation only reflecting rut in which writers brought anime currently running into wall.

    I see constantly new generations of kids being used as argument "why previous characters cannot return", but im waiting for explanation on what basis?
    Their lack of knowledge about such characters is same like its case with any new character writers introduce into anime taking time to get used and accept them. Not knowing who Gary or any previous character may be even more of a reason to bring them back. Because it would give them opportunity to get know who he was, better comprehend Ash past adding more continuity into it , and to test out if he would create same interest among new generations like it was case with people which grew up with him or anyone else.

    Needless to say if they can bring back decade old pokemon like Charizard, revive Giovanni and TR activity, revive insignificant characters like James fiance from Kanto, minor gym leader like Jasmine etc there is certainly no reason why they couldn't bring back previous popular characters back as well.

    In essence writers could ultimately have more success managing to maintain interest from target audience while also broadening interest for anime among wider group of fans if they imbued anime with more cohesive storyline and revived all time favorite characters like Misty, May or in this particular case Gary going beyond current demographic. Since unpredictable ad fresh surprises are in general key to maintain interest among viewers and achieve popularity that can last for many more years to come.

    Core of issue in here isn't about relying on someone, but more in increasing quality of pokemon series itself and try out proven successful characters which could help to broaden its popularity in longer run.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 1st February 2013 at 8:23 AM.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Granted they aren't stupid and can recognize good characters, kids honestly aren't hard to please. So that doesn't give weight to any particular character type. No character is merely a crutch, as the context of "rely" might suggest. With creativity, anyone can be turned into an asset.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,888

    Default

    To answer the thread title, no, I don't think Gary will appear in Best Wishes. Or at Pallet at the end of the saga.

    They tried to give him a comeback in the series during DP, it didn't work, so they've likely dropped him again.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    To answer the thread title, no, I don't think Gary will appear in Best Wishes. Or at Pallet at the end of the saga.

    They tried to give him a comeback in the series during DP, it didn't work, so they've likely dropped him again.
    On what basis did it not work? Personal opinion?

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Lu View Post
    On what basis did it not work? Personal opinion?
    I thought it worked really well personally. He still has great interactions with Ash. As for CyberCubed saying they tried to give him a comeback, I don't even think it was supposed to be a comeback. I think the writers decided to bring him back for a few episodes but never intended for it to be a comeback in the series.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Granted they aren't stupid and can recognize good characters, kids honestly aren't hard to please. So that doesn't give weight to any particular character type. No character is merely a crutch, as the context of "rely" might suggest. With creativity, anyone can be turned into an asset.
    Agreed, any character from past can become worthwhile addition to anime again providing writers want to do something with him and evaluate how his presence could help to push story forward and bring benefit to series long term.

    Older characters also have advantage over new ones when being reintroduced back because they proven to be successful and well received in past, making less risky for writers to revive them as well having background/popularity among fans serving as stepping stone to have them become quickly accepted among new generations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I thought it worked really well personally. He still has great interactions with Ash. As for CyberCubed saying they tried to give him a comeback, I don't even think it was supposed to be a comeback. I think the writers decided to bring him back for a few episodes but never intended for it to be a comeback in the series.
    Pretty much true. I never understood mindset from some people how Gary was supposed to make some grand comeback becoming Ash rival again. On what ground this line of thought even occurred in first place?

    Its rather obvious how Gary purpose behind return wasn't to become major character again, but to serve as plotline leading Ash to go to DP as well give us update about his career as researcher. In addition he helped Ash and co in resolving some plots such as pointing out main issue behind Gliscor giving razor fang which led to evolution. Helping in battling Hunter J and Team Plasma trying to protect Azelf etc. Which went in correlation with his career considering how main reason behind journey to Sinnoh in first place was to do research about legendary.

    His presence definitely wasn't worthless and it was nice throwback to past giving treat to older fans.

    It seems to me how some fans raised up their expectations too much regarding Gary jumping ahead of themselves, hence explaining disappointment. For what Gary return was intended to be, it certainly wasn't "failure".

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    599

    Default

    He already done so no need to him back
    we dont need nostalgia :P
    Welcome Gen VI


    PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    I thought it worked really well personally. He still has great interactions with Ash. As for CyberCubed saying they tried to give him a comeback, I don't even think it was supposed to be a comeback. I think the writers decided to bring him back for a few episodes but never intended for it to be a comeback in the series.
    They dedicated the whole last episode of AG to him.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    469

    Default

    I don't think it was supposed to be a comeback either, though. If it were, he would've stuck around throughout all of DP. But no, Paul was introduced at the beginning of DP. Gary provided a transition from AG to DP in that last episode, and he appeared several times later in the series. That's far from writers trying to give him a "comeback." They were cameos. And who is to say that he will never have another cameo again? I think it's a possibility. Maybe they will use Gary again as a transition from Gen 5 to Gen 6. Maybe not. Maybe they use another character, like Paul or Brock. The point is, you can't make a blanket statement saying, "Oh, he'll never appear again" and vice versa. We don't know that. This is all just speculation based on what the writers have done previously with Gary's character.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I am Lu View Post
    I don't think it was supposed to be a comeback either, though. If it were, he would've stuck around throughout all of DP. But no, Paul was introduced at the beginning of DP. Gary provided a transition from AG to DP in that last episode, and he appeared several times later in the series. That's far from writers trying to give him a "comeback." They were cameos. And who is to say that he will never have another cameo again? I think it's a possibility. Maybe they will use Gary again as a transition from Gen 5 to Gen 6. Maybe not. Maybe they use another character, like Paul or Brock. The point is, you can't make a blanket statement saying, "Oh, he'll never appear again" and vice versa. We don't know that. This is all just speculation based on what the writers have done previously with Gary's character.
    Exactly. I'm sure when Gary became a researcher at the end of Johto, people thought the character was written off but like you said, we have seen him since then.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    I'm at a Payphone~
    Posts
    99

    Default

    I would hope so. Gary was really cool. I liked him alot. I'm not a fangirl
    ~Working on getting a sig~

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,221

    Default

    I think he might come back at the end of the N Saga, have a battle with Ash with a 6th gen Eeveelution

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    I think he might come back at the end of the N Saga, have a battle with Ash with a 6th gen Eeveelution
    Just because he has Umbreon doesn't mean he has another Eeveelution. How about May then? If there will be any new eeveelutions then why not use Virgil?

    Random : PokéRadar


  19. #144
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    I'm on a boat mother... what?
    Posts
    5,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Just because he has Umbreon doesn't mean he has another Eeveelution. How about May then? If there will be any new eeveelutions then why not use Virgil?
    I never said he HAD to have a new Eeveelution. I simply thought it would be cool

  20. #145
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,068

    Default

    I still don't understand how this thread exist, why are we talking about him, there are no hints about him appearing at all, so why make a random thread asking if he will come back? this thread makes no sense frankly it should have been closed rigth away.

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    I still don't understand how this thread exist, why are we talking about him, there are no hints about him appearing at all, so why make a random thread asking if he will come back? this thread makes no sense frankly it should have been closed rigth away.
    It's probably because someone starting making threads of older kanto characters because they had nothing better to do with how bad the show was at the time. One was done for Misty, Brock, Pikachu and Charizard, so who else but Gary is next.

    My ideal battle ever!

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    I still don't understand how this thread exist, why are we talking about him, there are no hints about him appearing at all, so why make a random thread asking if he will come back? this thread makes no sense frankly it should have been closed rigth away.
    Nobody knows. This is the only fandom I'm ever been part of where characters who haven't even appeared or been mention in many years are still thought of as series regulars in the show.

    Gary has been gone for 10 years besides his brief cameos in DP. I'm sure they're done with him.

  23. #148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Nobody knows. This is the only fandom I'm ever been part of where characters who haven't even appeared or been mention in many years are still thought of as series regulars in the show.

    Gary has been gone for 10 years besides his brief cameos in DP. I'm sure they're done with him.
    I agree, I think DP was the last series that Gary will appear in except for maybe the finale.
    I'd like an appearence from Paul though before he vanishes from existence too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,670

    Default

    Since Professor Oak is confirmed to appear in the episode Burn Up, Charizard! VS Dragonite!, at the Kanto Fair, can we suppose that Gary could be here too ?

    「燃えよリザードン!VSカイリュー!」
    サトシたちは、カントー地方の名産品や文化を紹介する「カントーフェア」にやってきた。特設ス テージでは、
    オーキド博士がカントー地方のポケモンたちを紹介している。初めてよその地方にきたヒトカゲは 、張り切って
    パフォーマンスをするが、うっかりよろけてステージから転倒してしまった。サトシたちはヒトカ ゲをポケモン
    センターへ連れて行く。
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 6th February 2013 at 1:19 PM.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt account

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Deep Ocean
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Since Professor Oak is confirmed to appear in the episode Burn Up, Charizard! VS Dragonite!, at the Kanto Fair, can we suppose that Gary could be here too ?

    「燃えよリザードン!VSカイリュー!」
    サトシたちは、カントー地方の名産品や文化を紹介する「カントーフェア」にやってきた。特設ス テージでは、
    オーキド博士がカントー地方のポケモンたちを紹介している。初めてよその地方にきたヒトカゲは 、張り切って
    パフォーマンスをするが、うっかりよろけてステージから転倒してしまった。サトシたちはヒトカ ゲをポケモン
    センターへ連れて行く。
    Uhh maybe. maybe not.

    It doesn't say anything about Gary (I think)

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead

    ASB Squad

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •