Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 193

Thread: Will Gary come back in Unova ?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    No. Gary had plenty of appearances. Some that weren't really necessary. He doesn't do gyms anymore or isn't really a trainer so I don't think we need to see gary on a scale regarding battles. He might see him somewhere near his home town like before, but he really doesn't need to be anywhere near Unova right now. People just want to start a Kanto Character war again.

    My ideal battle ever!

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    He could help with the Team Plasma Crisis like he did with Team Galactic and J.

    Plus, there's the possibility that he is the one who brought Charizard to help Ash out.

    I mean, he's appeared in every saga, so why not lol?

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
    He could help with the Team Plasma Crisis like he did with Team Galactic and J.

    Plus, there's the possibility that he is the one who brought Charizard to help Ash out.
    Why would he bring Charizard out? Ash didn't tell him what he did with Charizard or not. And he doesn't need to help with Team Plasma since N is around.

    I mean, he's appeared in every saga, so why not lol?
    Well maybe he can skip this one for a change and give that time for other Unova characters who has had crap handed to them some development, how's that sound?

    My ideal battle ever!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    All those possibilities are plausibles, but please, it's not a game about "we don't care, we care". I ask a simple question about the return of Gary. Since he appears in all the last generations, I might think that's going to be the same in Unova. When I talk about appearance, I'm not think about the entire arc. Maybe one episode where we could have some news about him. And yes, I believe Caseydia is right about the Team Plasma. Looker and N (mostly) are around this arc and are more concerned by this. If Gary is appearing, it must be after N.
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

  5. #55

    Default

    I highly doubt it since he hasn't be advertised/hinted at all to return.

    The only way I can see him appearing is if he's at Oaks lab in the final BW episode in which he has the latest Generation Pokemon and encourages Ash to go.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    lol you guys are so narrow minded he cant appear because he was in DP..or he was stale... blah nonesense arguments
    it would be really cool to have Gary back as an apperance..even cooler would be to have him travel with ash for a while..maybe in the 6th gen to have him as his travel companion that would be really cool and neat and would push ash to be better and he would have a decent sparring partner for training...(if he even does training) it would make things much more interesting and fresh plus we'd get to see blastoise alot

  7. #57

    Default

    He's appeared in every saga so far, so if he doesn't appear in BW's final episode (or any episode for that matter) this will mark the first time.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Fire View Post
    lol you guys are so narrow minded he cant appear because he was in DP..or he was stale... blah nonesense arguments
    it would be really cool to have Gary back as an apperance..even cooler would be to have him travel with ash for a while..maybe in the 6th gen to have him as his travel companion that would be really cool and neat and would push ash to be better and he would have a decent sparring partner for training...(if he even does training) it would make things much more interesting and fresh plus we'd get to see blastoise alot
    You do realize Gary left the show 10 years ago at the end of Johto? His few appearances at the end of AG and in DP were basically cameos, like how the past female always returns for a few eps.

    Gary has been gone from the show as long as Misty has.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You do realize Gary left the show 10 years ago at the end of Johto? His few appearances at the end of AG and in DP were basically cameos, like how the past female always returns for a few eps.

    Gary has been gone from the show as long as Misty has.

    yes i do realize that you muppet so? just a suggestion for a way to make the show fresh jesus boy your have the most narrow mind out of everyone on here

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You do realize Gary left the show 10 years ago at the end of Johto? His few appearances at the end of AG and in DP were basically cameos, like how the past female always returns for a few eps.

    Gary has been gone from the show as long as Misty has.
    Gary was an essential plot device which encouraged Ash to travel to Sinnoh, in DP he did return purely for fan service if you ask me, so the same could happen in BW although it is most likely going to be the final BW episode at Oaks lab.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You do realize Gary left the show 10 years ago at the end of Johto? His few appearances at the end of AG and in DP were basically cameos, like how the past female always returns for a few eps.

    Gary has been gone from the show as long as Misty has.
    Time honestly doesn't matter much. Its not definitive proof that hinders any probability of a character appearing. And before someone says the kids don't know them, neither do kids know any character until they are introduced.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Didney Worl
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Some people don't want Gary, because they know he will over-cool the current rivals just like he did in sinnoh.


    Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Time honestly doesn't matter much. Its not definitive proof that hinders any probability of a character appearing. And before someone says the kids don't know them, neither do kids know any character until they are introduced.
    Because he's irrelevant to the story. His appearances in DP felt more like throwaway cameos rather than a real return to the show.

    Gary's not even a rival anymore, he'll never battle Ash in a league again.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Inside the GS ball.
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    This thread is random lol. Why should Gary come back again in Unova. Tbh, all of you Gary fans should've been glad that he actually got an episode during DP. Gary is just a "Tracey" now, researching... researching... researching... and Oak'd. He can come to Unova to help his grandfather's research, but the same reason can be applied to Gen 6, or Gen 7, or Gen 8, or Gen 9... and so on and so forth.

    Dawn is special because she's a PokeGirl. Gary isn't a girl, so no 9-episode-arc for him.

    I'd rather see Paul help Ash with the transition to Gen 6, since he's more recent. Gary's days for a 9 episode arc are over. The most I see is a small Gen 6 transition, but I personally think Paul should have the merits for that.

    EDIT: Also, people are free to choose Paul or Gary over the other, so don't force your bias down their throats. I like Paul.
    I wasn't shoving my bias down anyone's throats. I was taking information that we have on the two characters and giving my OPINION on why Gary is much "bigger" than Paul. Everyone is going to have a little Bias. You have bias in your own post right there.

    On the pokegirl logic shouldn't that mean May and Misty should have gotten episodes to. Their just as important. And why shouldn't Gary have 1 showing just based on the fact that he's a dude? Gary has had just as important of a role as May, Dawn, Misty, Iris, Brock or any of Ash's friends. More than some less than others. He's been the drive for everything Ash does. He convinced Ash to go to Jhoto, Hoenn and Sinnoh. He pushed ash to be his best in Kanto. He pushed Ash to be at his best in the Silver Conference. I'd say he's even had more character development than Paul. He went from an annoying dink who always shown off to a guy that now sees Ash as his best friend again. Plus, like I already pointed out. Gary kinda set the standard for a rival. He's Ash's childhood friend, grew up with him. That's a title no other rival will ever be able to have. How could you say he's not important when he has all those things on his character.

    And I never said he needs his whole arc. 1 or 2 episodes like they did in DP would be fine. Or even just a cameo like he was in the battle frontier when he sent Ash that postcard and gave him a little pep talk. Just something to show that they know he's still there. And something to show that he still matters. He's been a drive for so long i'd really like to see them play that up again. Make ash grit his teeth in a battle, or, give him a pep talk and really get him motivated, something Paul wouldn't do.

    I have to agree that people are being kinda narrow minded. ANY past character that had some importance has the chance of coming back. You can say "I don't want him to come back, he has no point" but that's not thinking with an open mind. There's plenty of point for old characters to come back your just not seeing it because your mind is closed off because "he was stale in DP" or "his arc's over". That's not a good enough excuse in my book. Any character can comeback if the writers want them to. Hell even if I don't lie him and would much prefer to see Gary again, Paul can come back, i'm not disowning that.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Because he's irrelevant to the story. His appearances in DP felt more like throwaway cameos rather than a real return to the show.

    Gary's not even a rival anymore, he'll never battle Ash in a league again.
    How is he irrelevant to the story? Everything I pointed on above shows that he's not.
    You might have felt like he was a throwaway in DP, I liked the times he shown up. For every person that hates a character there will be others that like him so you can't base an appearance on the fact that you thought he was "stale".

    How is he not a rival anymore? Cause he said they were best friends? They can still be rivals. They can still have a battle. And no one said he NEEDS to be in a league again just have a fun little battle, or even a cameo. That's what the topic is about. Him JUST making an appearance. Not having a huge arc again.
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 19th January 2013 at 7:34 PM.

    NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

    Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping


  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    He's a retired rival, let's put it that way. He'll never compete with Ash in a real tournament ever again. He became a researcher.

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    He's a retired rival, let's put it that way. He'll never compete with Ash in a real tournament ever again. He became a researcher.
    Why didn't you say this in the first place instead of comparing him with Misty?

    If you was going to compare with Misty the counter argument right away is that Gary returned in DP, and Charizard is returning now despite his last appearance being in AG.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    Why didn't you say this in the first place instead of comparing him with Misty?

    If you was going to compare with Misty the counter argument right away is that Gary returned in DP, and Charizard is returning now despite his last appearance being in AG.
    You do realize that other than Tracey, that both Misty and Gary have been gone the longest of all the main characters? The writers don't have any reason to focus on decade old characters that aren't actual Pokemon like Charizard is.

    This is why Dawn came back but nobody else did. I thought this was common knowledge.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    Why would Gary be in Unova?

    Random : PokéRadar


  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You do realize that other than Tracey, that both Misty and Gary have been gone the longest of all the main characters?
    Gary returned in DP for a total of 4 episodes. He has not been absent for long at all considering his last appearance was near the end of DP, why're you acting like it didn't happen?

    The writers don't have any reason to focus on decade old characters that aren't actual Pokemon like Charizard is.
    And since you've been given a suitable argument, you throw in the line about how the humans and Pokemon are different. No they're not, if anything the characters are seen more frequently so they should be more important.

    This is why Dawn came back but nobody else did. I thought this was common knowledge.
    Dawn come back because she was following the tradition of female companions returning.

    Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Why would Gary be in Unova?
    Why would Dawn be in Unova?

    The writers can do what they want to make a Pokemon/Character return.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,629

    Default

    Lol, no. The most we might see of him is if Ash returns to Kanto, and he makes a cameo at Ash's house.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Aker View Post
    Lol, no. The most we might see of him is if Ash returns to Kanto, and he makes a cameo at Ash's house.
    That's always counting in a reappearance, you know.
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    He certainly could. Gary was vital part of Ash story back in Kanto and Johto being his first and main rival at that time, growing up together in same town. He is grandson of prof. Oak immediately giving him access to appear whenever writers want in Pallet town or when Ash is on journey. In addition to that his career of being researcher makes him mobile and versatile character which can easily return in any region. Since from story standpoint writers could just set him to region A, B or C with purpose of discovering new species and doing field research like they did in DP.

    Even if he doesn't appear in Unova, that doesn't mean he couldn't return in any of future regions if writers decide to reuse him and play role in future story. Just like they did after his absence during Hoenn, serving as plotline to inform Ash about Sinnoh region and guide him toward start of next journey.

    Personally i wouldn't mind seeing Gary again because he was important part of anime history influencing Ash growth by great deal. I would like to see how much he changed, what new pokemon he may have added to his team and in what way he could contribute to current storyline. It would be certainly nice throwback to past, that's for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Because he's irrelevant to the story. His appearances in DP felt more like throwaway cameos rather than a real return to the show.
    Even if he isn't, that doesn't stop writers in any way to make him relevant in future depending on circumstances and current story going on in some region. Giovanni wasn't relevant to anime for a long, long time but this didn't stopped writers from making him relevant in future.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    You do realize that other than Tracey, that both Misty and Gary have been gone the longest of all the main characters? The writers don't have any reason to focus on decade old characters that aren't actual Pokemon like Charizard is.
    Does it really matter how much someone has bee gone from some show? Going by that logic we would never see Jessibelle, Butch and Cassidy or Jasmine again but they still find way to return in DP series?

    And how exactly writers have no reason to focus on older characters?

    If anything return of older characters is exactly what this show needs to maintain connection with past and bide together all sagas Ash traveled through creating brand through which loyalty among fans can be ensured to stay hooked on it.

    One of reasons is to give them update, how much they changed and provide fresh and unexpected twist to current formula adding life to current dynamic.

    In alignment to that their presence imbues anime with more continuity bringing more coherent story, provides connections to past regions Ash traveled through and gives new viewers insight to better understand anime history.
    As well pleases fandom creating boost in TV ratings. Judging by Misty, Dawn or May past cameos,such events guarantee older fans being more attracted toward anime increasing ratings.

    I don't even need to point out how in case of appearing in new games this only creates extra reason being good business move to reuse popular older character for better and more successful promotion.

    EDIT: In fact i agree with posters who say how fandom tend to be awfully narrow minded, because its true. Since whenever someone from past is proposed to comeback again people often question motives or downright ignore any like hood of making character or pokemon relevant to story again contributing to its execution and making show more enjoyable thx to his, her presence.

    Its always welcome to see older characters back to get update and see how much they changed and developed in meantime, are there any new pokemon in their teams and what they have been up to.

    Return of previous characters also provides more references and flashbacks to past strengthening continuity of pokemon series, adding new spice to anime in form of unpredictable, fresh twists which are necessary to maintain people interest getting anime out of rut.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,743

    Default

    @ pokemon fan 123 : I always loved how you show off your opinion, thanks. And more than that, I agree with you. I don't know why Gary couldn't return. I think I like more old character returning than a brand new coming...
    « Be the leaf... »

    my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Because he's irrelevant to the story. His appearances in DP felt more like throwaway cameos rather than a real return to the show.

    Gary's not even a rival anymore, he'll never battle Ash in a league again.
    wow man you just cant have any fun can you?

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,657

    Default

    Guys as long as professor Oak appears so will Gary lol. He might not appear soon but he's not gonna vanish.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •