Thread: Inspiration

Default Inspiration

Inspiration. That moment where everything you say, feel, write, type or think feels completely and utterly natural. It may last you just long enough to kill off your writer's block and finish that chapter for the fic you've neglected for months, or may lead you to one of the most prolific periods of your life.

As human-beings, and especially as writers, we've all felt this feeling before. There are a myriad of reasons we might experience inspiration. Perhaps you've just finished a great book/game/movie/show/fic/whatever and felt you could do something great too, or maybe you just feel wonderful in general and everything in life is great, and you just can't help but do something with that feeling.

Take a moment to remember your inspiration. How do you usually feel about the product of your inspiration? This thread is for sharing any of our experiences with inspiration, in hopes that it may lead some of us to it again.
    My Author Profile[/Center]

Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Type is Ghost, Pokemon are Shuppet, Pumpkaboo and Spiritomb.
    3DS FC: 3566-1718-0207

My inspirations tend to come from music. Music just brings out an emotion in me depending on the song that just makes my blood pump, and my fingers flex anxiously, waiting to fly across my keyboard. But I have to get to the Word document pretty quickly, or I start to lose it. Inspiration also likes to strike me hard in the shower and when I'm in the car coming home from school. I'll just space out and think about my stories, and the characters involved, and then I'll get answers as to how to proceed. But then I just can't bring myself to put it on the screen word for word. I put down a good number of notes to guide me when I do, but I never seem to bring myself to write.

Sometimes, I'll just watch a particular movie and get pumped up. For example, Hunchback of Notre Dame gets me excited to write scenes about my villain, because Frollo is such a despicable, cunning bastard. I think I might've slightly based my villain off him, but perhaps in later chapters I did, since I only really saw the movie last year while I was half-way through the story. Doesn't matter, the soundtrack and dialogue are amazing either way.

It's slowed down in past months, sadly, but I will get strikes of inspiration while in church, whether it's from a speaker's talk, or just out of the blue. It was much more potent while I was writing rather intense moments in Forsaken, but it's sadly waned as I've gotten more and more into my other story. But these were my own personal inspirations.

Everyone has their own different method, so there's really no right or wrong way to get inspiration. We just know that inspirations like to strike us when we least expect it, so we have to be prepared for it. Those are always the more effective ones for me.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Music is one way to become inspired, it's way of capturing emotions is a powerful grasp on what you're writing.

Media is another way. Music videos, television shows, websites, current events, books, other fics, and so on. I've found some inspiration from places such as this, which has a different outcome nearly every time you use it, so try it a few times.

Other times, you just have to wait for the time you're hit with an idea; that simple.

Those are some ways I find it, hope this helps.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile