Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else think Pokemon need to take a step back?

I love the way Pokémon is headed. Believe me, GameFreak knows what it's doing. I mean, the stylized graphics look great to me! It makes the game look timeless. I mean, this type of art direction can create some backlash at first, but the true fans know how to admire it. It's kinda like The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker. When it came out a lot of people criticized, but now a lot of people learned to respect the cell shaded graphics on that game. And, seriously people, 3DS graphics seen on a PC sucks. It's way better when you actually see them on the 3DS. At least it is like that with most 3DS Titles!
    Farmer, monster slayer, adventurer...

And womanizer, of course!

What do you mean by 'take a step back?'

I personally think the games are just fun. I had a blast playing the Black & White and Black 2 & White games. The games were a lot of fun and I think Pokemon's fine the way it is.

Do you like the Pokemon Adventures manga? If so, join the club!

Credit | Author's Profile | Shipping List
    3DS Friend Code: 0748-3470-9720

I prefer a more advanced generation as well. Especially for gameplay convenience.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raguna View Post
    I love the way Pokémon is headed. Believe me, GameFreak knows what it's doing. I mean, the stylized graphics look great to me! It makes the game look timeless. I mean, this type of art direction can create some backlash at first, but the true fans know how to admire it. It's kinda like The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker. When it came out a lot of people criticized, but now a lot of people learned to respect the cell shaded graphics on that game. And, seriously people, 3DS graphics seen on a PC sucks. It's way better when you actually see them on the 3DS. At least it is like that with most 3DS Titles!
    True to that. For me, Cel shaded graphics match well with pokemon. Just like sprites back then. It is true that you can't change all at ones for some of us. But I would say that it is similar to playing on a new brand of consoles. Hate at first. Respect later on.

That is pokemon's view too. What better example than Gen 3? Remember those days where the fans of the pat 2 generations argued that they cn't transfer their favorite pokes from Kanto and Johto?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

You ever play Colosseum or XD?
    Imagine those games, but now with the full Pokemon experience, rather than some modified version of it.
    Gen 6 is gonna be so rad, I can hardly stand to wait.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

I will say that I'm surprised Nintendo never exploited the 3DS' graphics until now. The graphics look better than any other pokemon handheld, and I can't wait to see more info.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    I will say that I'm surprised Nintendo never exploited the 3DS' graphics until now. The graphics look better than any other pokemon handheld, and I can't wait to see more info.
    Well they've been working on these games for quite some time, now, The Pokemon Company has had the 3D hardware since before the 3DS hit retail.
    That means we're in for something pretty epic come Gen 6.
    Hat by wolfy.

Now, if everyone decided to take a step back when something seemed too different, how will we ever get forward?

Either you risk the negative effect of changing, or you don't change at all, I say.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Now, if everyone decided to take a step back when something seemed too different, how will we ever get forward?

Either you risk the negative effect of changing, or you don't change at all, I say.
    Wise words.
    What's great is that no matter how much things change, you can always dust off your old GBA cartridges and pop 'em in for old times' sake.
    You could do the same with your GBC cartridges, I guess, but good luck getting them to function properly. If I so much as tap my GBC while playing Yellow verison, the whole file erases.
    Hat by wolfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post

This is very well said.
    Pokemon fans will be Pokemon fans. When we have 2D sprites, everyone wants 3D and when we finally get 3D, everyone goes all nostalgic on 2D. Seriously, how is having 3D graphics a step back ? It had to happen sometime, and this is the right time.
    Pokemon fans worry too much about the state of Pokemon. Pokemon couldn't have found a better developer than GF. Game Freak has done very well all these years. We just need to sit back and enjoy their games, and not worry about the direction it's going, coz it's going well.

The graphics are fine, they're a significant step up while still remaining Pokemon-y. There's no need to stay with 2D.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Maintaining a 2D graphic style on the 3DS is like buying an Aventador and driving it in the city during rush hour. Sure, you'd get a kick out of it but you're not experiencing the full potential of the hardware.

The core of the games (grid-based movement, turn-based strategy, Pokemon) still remains despite the graphical changes. Sure, we'd miss the sprites and stuff but it's going to be an interesting and refreshing advancement. Trust Game Freak, they haven't truly disappointed yet.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

I understand, but its like saying the "All new pokemon generations are sucks except Gen 1 & Gen 2" because they're old school.
    Of course GF need to keep up with the current standard in order to make the game more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakBae View Post
    I understand, but its like saying the "All new pokemon generations are sucks except Gen 1 & Gen 2" because they're old school.
    Of course GF need to keep up with the current standard in order to make the game more appealing.
    No, you're wrong. He never said anything like that. He said Heartgold and Soulsilvers graphics were good. It means, it is better than the first 3 gen of the games.

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Depends on how you like to play the games oobviously.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Nope, system with 480p graphics (3D ones no less) should use 3D models. There goes the need of a stadium game (unless it's developed by a third party that's great with 1080p graphics, are fans of the competitive scene, and know how to give an outstanding online experience).

You fan of classic all sprite graphics? I don't blame you, some companies respect them, just look at BlazBlue. Though with the 3D console titles, everyone is ecstatic to see their creatures brawl on a big screen. No need for a good plot or handful of sidequests? Pokémon has been running on running on its creative system of collectable customizable creatures and sooner or later, this is going to get stale. Why not follow suit of the other big name RPG studios and have a good plot and sidequests? It won't hurt the fans who play it just because of how unique the battle system is.
    BlazBlue: I remember it for other reasons... Taokaka and Boobie Lady Litchi partly as I've got the PSP version of the first game. But in that case only the consoles and the PC could support 3D if the game had support in the first place. Which they sadly don't as the "world" isn't in 3d like the FPS that are in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by Koh View Post
    I don't mind seeing a transition to 3D, however, I DO mind it when they look all trashy and jpeged like what we've seen in the trailer. Why's it gotta look like that?
    That's because you're seeing a Frame from a video that is being compressed so people can see it online. Chances are it been recompressed about 3 or 4 times before most people can see it. Youtube Videos are really compressed, but many people don't notice party as most of the "compression artefacts" as they generally last only fractions of a second. Also you're seeing one 3DS Pixel being magnified to be about 4 or more Screen pixels.

The best way to see the video is Via the 3DS eShop, which shows the Trailer at 90% actual size. (The trailer is the exact same one that is shown on websites.)

None of those artifacts will be seen in game, mainly as they're are result of putting it online, not the game.

However, If don't take your said as exactly what you mean.. Textures being images are often needed to be compressed, but given the nature of most of the Pokémon designs this shouldn't be noticeable. As the Model maker for the Unknown and Luvdisc in my signature, it know exactly how it's made. I can say that there are no texture images used. Lucario has one or two.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Staying with the old school sprites in this day and age would greatly hinder Game Freak. A lot of people want to move onto 3D models. I myself included. This new gen most likely won't be perfect. It's the first main game on the 3DS. But even then it would still be a great accomplishment for them. And people, Nintendo didn't make Pokemon -_- it's game freak and the pokemon company... Like seriously. Why do so many people say that?
    3DS FC: 5086-1034-2659
    PM me if you want to add me.

Current obsession: Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by halloweenghost View Post
    it's been like 15 years! it's time for a new step man! We've had plenty of games like what you speak of..
    Agree! Every step forward by the creators no matter how small is always good, now it's like instead of jogging they are sprinting and I can't wait to get my hands on the finished product!!
    looking for any legit mew or jirachi :3 offering the event keldeo or legendaries found in white 2 ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Marbi Z View Post
    Well... Your entitled to your own opinion. But if theres one thing Pokemon does need to take a step back on its the ridiculous move sets some Pokemon have! How the heck can Zapdos learn Heat Wave!? That kinda defeats the purpose of Moltris don't it?
    Does Crobat defeat the purpose of Ho-Oh just because they can both learn it? All they're doing is blowing hot air at the target; they don't need to be a Fire-type in order to do that. Besides, Zapdos and Moltres are completely separate Pokémon; sharing one particular move isn't going to make that much of a difference.
    Last edited by Endolise; 20th January 2013 at 10:36 PM.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Does Crobat defeat the purpose of Ho-Oh just because they can both learn it? All they're doing is blowing hot air at the target; they don't need to be a Fire-type in order to do that. Besides, Zapdos and Moltres are completely separate Pokémon; sharing one particular move isn't going to make that much of a difference.
    Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it! And Picture this! Imagine if Zapdos could use Heat Wave and Discharge in the second Pokemon Movie! It would've crushed both Moltres and Articuno hands down!
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it!
    I think the idea is that the Pokemon flaps its wings or generates a wind, and the intense vibration of the air molecules generates heat. That's why gliding Pokemon, like Gliscor, or Pokemon without wings, like Dodrio, don't get it.

also Zapdos could've easily crushed both considering they're both weak to its STAB, js
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 21st January 2013 at 6:59 PM.

Wait! Crobat can learn Heat Wave too!? You might as well have Discharge in Articunos move set!!! You can't Justify it.... You can't... Justify it! And Picture this! Imagine if Zapdos could use Heat Wave and Discharge in the second Pokemon Movie! It would've crushed both Moltres and Articuno hands down!
    It's seriously one Fire-type attack. And it's not even supposed to be Moltres' signature move or anything. Just because Linoone an learn Surf, does that mean there's no point to every other Water-type that can learn it?
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I prefer 2d. I hate how everything except cheap **** for applebrains and "indie" games is 3d now. I want Heroes of might and magic to be like part II. And Pokemon-like GSC /opinion
    I absolutely LOVE Raichu.

I personally enjoy the newer pokemon games, i grew up with pokemon, i watched the first episode of the show the day it came out, and have been playing the games since they were released. Change is a good thing, and i like that they are using the 3DS features to their advantage. I have many many good memories of the old pokemon games, but, sometimes evolution takes place, and for something to feel a bit more fresh, it needs to evolve.

I look forward to pokemon x and y, and will be there right when they are released, and will pre-order them, so i don't have to worry about not getting a copy.
    85% of statistics are made up on the spot, don't bother putting this in your signature, because i made this statistic up too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast