Thread: Red Ingame RMT

Hybrid View

Default Red Ingame RMT

Firstly, I know there is a dedicated Monotype thread for this generation, but my intent is to get an idea of this team in particular. Secondly, this is the first time I have ever planned an ingame team from the beginning (I usually just plan on the go), so I may have missed something obvious. Finally, I haven't started yet, but I expect to fight the Elite Four at lvl 60+, so all moves are available.

That said, here is my Monotype Flying Team:

Charizard
    -Flamethrower
    -Slash
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Rage

Pidgeot
    -Fly
    -Take Down
    -Swift
    -Reflect

Gyarados
    -Surf
    -Dragon Rage
    -Hyper Beam
    -Blizzard

Golbat
    -Leech Life
    -Wing Attack
    -Haze
    -Confuse Ray

Dragonite
    -Thunder
    -Fire Blast
    -Hyper Beam
    -Dragon Rage

Scyther
    -Slash
    -Focus Energy
    -Swords Dance
    -Agility

In case you're unfamiliar with the rules, all pokemon must be of the main type (Flying). The only Pokemon I'm deadset on using is Charizard, so if, for example, Fearow would be better than Pidgeot, let me know.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your opinions.

Drop Focus Energy on Scyther. It's bugged in RBY and actually reduces your chances of landing a CH. I'd consider dropping Golbat for Aerodactyl, as well, but either's fine.

Swap Dragon Rage on Charizard for Seismic Toss. At level 60 it will do 60 damage, Dragon Rage is only ever going to do 20.

Dodrio is the best Normal/Flying, considerably better than Pidgeot or Fearow. Movesets are similar, but it has Drill Peck, and its attack and speed are better.

Give Gyarados Thunder Bolt so you have a little more electric coverage. Loose Dragon Rage.

Mega Drain would probably be better than Leech Life on Golbat.

Slash... Well done! In Gen I, it will always be critical if you have 64 speed or more, like with Razor Leaf.
    Thanks to Drill Peck, Dodrio is better than Pidgeot. And it gets Body Slam too, so use it to replace Take Down. It's better.
    Dragon Rage... No. For late game, no. There are better options.
    Focus Energy... No. Due to an error, it actually does nothing if the user is faster than the opponent, and if slower, your Critical Hit Rate drops to zero.
    Dragonite... Thunderbolt is better than Thunder (accuracy). Fire Blast... It will be just for Jynx, the only Ice-type other than Articuno that is weak to Fire (Water combo). Maybe Rock Slide, with more accuracy...
    Have you considered the legendary birds? Except Moltres, maybe. It has the same types as Charizard.

Okay, so I now have this: (changes are in italics)

Charizard Can one-shot Agatha's entire team, without being unusable before then.
    -Flamethrower
    -Slash
    -Earthquake
    -Seismic Toss

Dodrio Fly is a necessity, Drill Peck is better. Do I need a fourth attacking move? -- and will Reflect be useful?
    -Fly
    -Body Slam
    -Drill Peck
    -Swift/Reflect

Golbat Haze is mostly for Slowbro and other pokemon that raise defense, and Aerodactyl can't get that. Sorry, Marceman.
    -Mega Drain
    -Wing Attack
    -Haze
    -Confuse Ray

Gyarados Gyarados and Dragonite are my main defense against Lance, so I don't want to lose those Ice-moves.
    -Surf
    -Thunder/Thunderbolt
    -Hyper Beam
    -Ice Beam/Blizzard

Dragonite I... can't actually find a lot of good physical moves for him.
    -Thunder/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam/Blizzard
    -Hyper Beam
    -Strength

Scyther DT, Swords Dance, and Agility make him something of an unhittable sweeper, if I have a chance to set up.
    -Slash
    -Double Team
    -Swords Dance
    -Agility

Thanks, guys! This looks solid to me, but suggestions are always welcome.