Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games that have made you sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    So, a game can be good, but if it's put into a series where its gameplay doesn't belong, it's instantly bad as a result?
    Um, yeah. You play games for a certain experience. In Sonic's case, it's high speed platforming. Adding gameplay that doesn't add to that experience can be quite grating, especially if you happen to not like the genre of gameplay they introduce. I mean really, how many people do you think enjoy high speed platforming, treasure hunting, slow mech shooting, AND fishing? Not many.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Um, yeah. You play games for a certain experience. In Sonic's case, it's high speed platforming. Adding gameplay that doesn't add to that experience can be quite grating, especially if you happen to not like the genre of gameplay they introduce. I mean really, how many people do you think enjoy high speed platforming, treasure hunting, slow mech shooting, AND fishing? Not many.
    Apparently a lot of people do. Also, I would consider your disliking of a game on that basis your fault (or rather a fault with you), and not the game's. Something is off with you, not the game. You arrived at that expectation, not the game.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 12th February 2013 at 5:28 PM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Must we start an SA2 argument on every game-related thread?
    On topic, some stuff in the Kingdom Hearts games can be pretty sad, but I think most games can have a sad angle if they have a half decent story and you think about them the right way.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
        Spoiler:- Friend Code & Trade Offers:

So, a game can be good, but if it's put into a series where its gameplay doesn't belong, it's instantly bad as a result?
    The problem is that the other two gameplay styles in SA2 aren't good. The speed sections, though worse than SA1, are still tolerable, but the mech/treasure hunting completely ruin the game for me.

Hey, I guess that counts as something sad, right? A game that was ruined by bad gameplay that doesn't belong.

Saints Row- When Lyn died
    Saints Row 2- When Carlos died
    Saints Row 3- When Johnny Gat died
    Fable 3- When Walter died

Quote Originally Posted by sceptile33 View Post
    The problem is that the other two gameplay styles in SA2 aren't good. The speed sections, though worse than SA1, are still tolerable, but the mech/treasure hunting completely ruin the game for me.

Hey, I guess that counts as something sad, right? A game that was ruined by bad gameplay that doesn't belong.

What's sad is that you're complaining about gameplay mechanics that the majority found tolerable. Were they the greatest? No. But they didn't ruin the game.

I can't wait for a modern Sonic game where all everyone does is run. Watch you guys call it repetitive.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 honestly broke my heart.

Roxas, Axel... XION! So many feelings T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    What's sad is that you're complaining about gameplay mechanics that the majority found tolerable. Were they the greatest? No. But they didn't ruin the game.

I can't wait for a modern Sonic game where all everyone does is run. Watch you guys call it repetitive.
    Wasn't that Sonic Generations, which a lot of people seem to be jizzing in their pants over, meanwhile all I can say is "I can't bring myself to actually spend money on this thing even at 75% off?" meanwhile I bought two copies of the "bad game" that is apparently bad solely because it's just ~not what people expect~?

No, I think what's really sad is that people like you are conflating your opinions for the opinions of all, or even the Gospel truth.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 13th February 2013 at 12:53 AM.

The usual links

I don't care what the majority think. I base my opinions off my own experiences. I don't like the slow, clunky gameplay of the mechs, and I don't like the boring, mindless treasure hunting. Is it okay for someone else to like the gameplay elements that I find boring? Sure, there's nothing wrong with that.

And Sonic Generations is a game in which all Sonic does is run. It gets a lot of praise, though I personally don't like it that much.

And Sonic Generations is a game in which all Sonic does is run. It gets a lot of praise, though I personally don't like it that much.
    See, I figured as much. As a rule, Sonic Generations' level designs look very uninteresting from what I've seen, which is why I'm not interested, even though most of the original Sonic games' gameplay was running and platforming -- they also had really good level designs as a general rule. Which I still think SA2 has, other than Mad Space (which is easily the worst level I've ever seen in any commercial game).

The usual links

See, I figured as much. As a rule, Sonic Generations' level designs look very uninteresting from what I've seen, which is why I'm not interested, even though most of the original Sonic games' gameplay was running and platforming -- they also had really good level designs as a general rule. Which I still think SA2 has, other than Mad Space (which is easily the worst level I've ever seen in any commercial game).
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by level design.

Sonic Generations plays itself. That's why it sucks.

Sonic Generations plays itself. That's why it sucks.
    Okay then, I dare you to beat every level in Generations without using anything but boost. No jumping, no Homing Attack, no Quick Step, no Light Dash, No Stomp, No Drift, just boost.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Okay then, I dare you to beat every level in Generations without using anything but boost. No jumping, no Homing Attack, no Quick Step, no Light Dash, No Stomp, No Drift, just boost.
    Boosting, Stomping, Drifting, Quick Step and Auto Homing Attack don't belong in Sonic games so it's terrible.

Boosting, Stomping, Drifting, Quick Step and Auto Homing Attack don't belong in Sonic games so it's terrible.
    I know what you're trying to do, and the same thing doesn't apply. All of those moves I listed are actually conducive to a speed based platformer, mech shooting and treasure hunting are not.

Dyne and Barrett's story/battle in Final Fantasy 7. Especially the part right before their battle where Barrett is trying to reach out to him, but Dyne just keeps shooting him. Of course when Dyne jumps of the cliff, that was sad too.

I'm sure I have plenty of other moments from games, but FF7 was the first to pop in my head.
    ----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga- View Post
    Dyne and Barrett's story/battle in Final Fantasy 7. Especially the part right before their battle where Barrett is trying to reach out to him, but Dyne just keeps shooting him. Of course when Dyne jumps of the cliff, that was sad too.

I'm sure I have plenty of other moments from games, but FF7 was the first to pop in my head.
    Aeris was pretty sad to but besides that i kinda felt sad for Cait sith >.<

I know what you're trying to do, and the same thing doesn't apply. All of those moves I listed are actually conducive to a speed based platformer, mech shooting and treasure hunting are not.
    But they don't belong in a Sonic game. So by your logic, Generations is trash.

But they don't belong in a Sonic game. So by your logic, Generations is trash.
    *facepalm* Look, it's very simple:

game mechanics that promote speed based platforming = good for a Sonic game

game mechanics that detract from speed based platforming = bad for a Sonic game

All of the things you listed from the Modern games promote speed based platforming, so there's nothing wrong with them.

Do I even have to mention Twilight Princess's ending?

Also, why are people arguing about weather or not modern sonic games are good in a thread about sad video game endings?

the ending to ff7 crisis core was heart wrenching to watch, i dont think think ive cried so much to a game >.>

until i beat final fantasy 13-2. nothing can describe the roller coaster of emotions i was going through at the end of that game.

edit: why do i get the feeling i misunderstood the thread topic.

in any case black sigil blade of the exile, i was so pumped to play a game with so much nostalgia at its core, then was sad after fighting 20 random encounters in 35 steps on the wold map. ._.
    Last edited by LilPrinnyDood; 14th February 2013 at 3:19 AM.

PO/PS Username: LilPrinnyDood

Credit goes to Shadow for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    Do I even have to mention Twilight Princess's ending?
    No, since it wasn't that sad. waaaaaaah midna turns out to be some hot chick.

Also, why are people arguing about weather
    It was cloudy out last I checked.

or not modern sonic games are good in a thread about sad video game endings?
    Well the topic isn't really about endings, just sad moments. And to your question I answer "I have no idea."

All of the things you listed from the Modern games promote speed based platforming, so there's nothing wrong with them.
    The mechanics that are "promoting speed" aren't any good though. Not only that, they belong in racing and normal platforming games, not Sonic. So by your logic it's still a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga- View Post

Out of all the moments in FF7 that's the one that stuck out for you, really? The saddest moment for me would still go to Nanaki and his father; Aerith who?

As your logic follows, Metal Gear Rising is a terrible game (despite not being out yet), because it includes mechanics that aren't conducive to a stealth game.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast