Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here not competitively battle?

Default Does anyone here not competitively battle?

I don't battle competitively, if there is already a thread on this, then close or move it. I want to know if you do too.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Demarkis View Post
    I don't battle competitively, if there is already a thread on this, then close or move it. I want to know if you do too.
    I don't battle competitively either. I also don't care about EVs and IVs. I play for the sake of playing and that's it. I'm not saying I'll never try competitive, I'm just not into it right now.
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & ???

Currently playing: Pokemon Y

Me. I just play and train pokemon I like, I don't care about evs ivs and all the whatevers
    I absolutely LOVE Raichu.

Up to Elite Four I don't care about EV's, but I care about natures. Then I could say that until Elite Four I don't play competitively.

Without caring about IV's, EV's and natures I'd have a hard time at frontier battles, which are very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    I'd have a hard time at frontier battles, which are very competitive.
    That would be more do with the A.I being a cheap cheater that always have hax on their side.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Every time on this forum people talk about Pokemon with perfect natures or EV or IV and my eyes just glaze over. I have no understanding of it what so ever. It seems like it could be something fun to do and would be interesting. But I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm so used to compulsively over training my Pokemon that I don't worry about their natures or anything.
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EliJolesy View Post
    Every time on this forum people talk about Pokemon with perfect natures or EV or IV and my eyes just glaze over. I have no understanding of it what so ever. It seems like it could be something fun to do and would be interesting. But I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm so used to compulsively over training my Pokemon that I don't worry about their natures or anything.
    I can REALLY relate. I'm like "WTF What's happenin' to teh world now?!" I love my PKMN just the way they are. My PKMN are just plain raised. Not EV'd or something with the shizzy IV stuff. I don't care about Natures and all that... well sometimes I do but that's some special occasions.

9/10 of the time, I'm like "OOH A FEMALE MEOWTH!" *catches it then trains it* That's it. That's how I am. I care about the gender 98%.

I can just go far on Frontier Battles, that's it, nya~
    "It's hard enough breaking a limited edition 3DS that a girl cherished,
    but breaking her feelings like a thin layer of ice is another thing..."

I don't particularly, but I do look out for natures if breeding. I also have EV trained two Pokemon, a Braviary and my shiny Chadelure. Both were on my Black waiting to go to Black 2 so I decided to EV train them in the meantime because I was getting bored of waiting for the new game. So basically, I understand the EV and Iv aspect of competitive battling, I just choose not to.

Thinking about Alpha Sapphire:

Trainers from Bulbapedia (Kris from Spriters Resource),
    Gen I-IV Pokemon from The Spriters Resource, Gen 5 Pokemon from
    cSandoval on DeviantArt, Serena from tebited15 on Deviant Art,
    Gen III Pokemon from Bulbapedia

Quote Originally Posted by EliJolesy View Post
    That sounds just like me. I do want to understand though, I've tried to understand, but like you, I can't wrap my head around it. I should try myself one of these days to see if I can win
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & ???

Currently playing: Pokemon Y

Sometimes I care about EVs (the cafe and dojo at JA make that very easy) and usually I care about natures, but I don't do competitive. My attempts at the in-game battle facilities usually devolve into me making the most broken hacks I can think of (Sturdy Shedinja, anyone?) and seeing how the game responds to them.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

I don't do it either. To me it's a waste of time.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

I don't battle competitively - I just play the games. However, I DO care about natures and IVs and EVs, and go out of my way to find Pokemon who are well-suited to what they're going to end up doing and to train them so that they're as good at it as possible. If I'm going to expect them to battle for me, I figure that's the least I can do.

I don't battle competitively. I don't give a care about natures, stats, or genders. I just use my favorites, I'll still battle my friends or sister though.

Name: Specter
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/w1zf3l.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the Shiny Darkrai clock!
    The Forbidden Forest(Pokemon fanfic)
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/o5ni81.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by NightmareHybrid View Post
    I don't battle competitively. I don't give a care about natures, stats, or genders. I just use my favorites, I'll still battle my friends or sister though.
    Same, but I don't breed.

I guess you could say I'm competitive in game?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

I don't battle competitively, but I do go out of my way to attain good natures, IVs, and EVs. For example, I'll catch Dittos with a flawless stat in, say, Attack or Speed. Stick a Power Bracer on a Ditto/parent with a flawless Attack stat and poof, you have a baby Pokemon with a flawless Attack stat.

I can feel the difference when you have one Pokemon that is properly EV trained and which has a beneficial nature when compared to something with a neutral nature or that has sporadic EV investment.

All this talk of not understanding how to EV train is kind of surprising, considering you can literally just bring up a list of Pokemon that give respective EV points. Serebii even divides it up by HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Knock out a Lillipup and get 1 Attack EV. Knock out 252 of them and you have 252 Attack EVs. Knock out 252 Rattata and you have 252 Speed EVs. 510 EVs in total can be gained per Pokemon. Some Pokemon give more or less EV points per battle than others, and some items (Power Items) make the process go even faster.

I breed and raise my Pokemon so they have natures and stats beneficial to their individual build, I can feasibly break into competitive battling right now if I wanted to, but I do not care to. I've been playing since 1998 and I'll probably only ever battle against friends.
    Last edited by ZombifiedHorror1031; 28th January 2013 at 4:36 AM.
    Shinies: (x2)
    Shinies are Not For Trade
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dream World Females:     Spoiler:- Click:

I'm surprised so many non-competitive players actually go out of their way to get IVs/Natures.

If you don't play competitively, I've always seen it as inferior to plain level grinding.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 90 Points
    I need to finish Bravely Default, Mega Man 2, my Pokemon Emerald Nuzloche, and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I want to do all of this by October 3rd.
    Since when did playing video require so much schedule management?

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I'm surprised so many non-competitive players actually go out of their way to get IVs/Natures.

If you don't play competitively, I've always seen it as inferior to plain level grinding.
    Personally, I do it for two reasons. Typically, I need to beat something like the Battle Frontier/Battle Subway/World Championships so I can buy a move or item. If my Pokemon cannot perform its task, be it hitting as hard as possible or tanking as best it can, my endeavors may well be a waste of time. I don't want to get to the 20th match on the Singles Train just to lose the 21st because [insert Pokemon here] has a terrible nature.

The second reason is that, while I do not care to battle competitively at the current time, that may well change in the future. If I decide to try a tournament or just some random battle online, I'll have a group ready to use.
    Shinies: (x2)
    Shinies are Not For Trade
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dream World Females:     Spoiler:- Click:

If I battle in an online tournament, it's because I just want to gain battle exp and knowledge about how people battle. However, I REALLY dislike EV training and IV's, and I like math!

Friend Code: Listed in code spoiler!
    Pokémon Safari Type: Dark
    Pokémon in Safari: Liepard, Nuzleaf, Crawdaunt (Spiecal thanks to mwrspeedy29 and Shao-May)
        Spoiler:- Code Section:

If by competitive battling you mean go to tournaments and battle, then no I don't. But, I do train my pokemon and do wi fi battles.
    Pokemon Black FC - 0476 1815 2250

I have an Arcanine and a Latias fully EV trained. Make me an offer.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Multiple Roundz

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post

Huh. I'm exactly the opposite. I see using beneficial natures and EV training as in all ways superior to level-grinding, as evidenced by the fact that I can just play through the games with minimal grinding (not counting EV-training as "grinding," since it's generally on low level pokemon and it's rare that anyone other than a baby actually gains levels doing it) and generally beat all trainers and leaders fairly easily, and that even though my pokemon are fairly notably UNDER-leveled. (I just swept Skyla's gym in B2 with a team with levels ranging from 25 to 30 - her underlings all have pokemon of level 32 or 33 and hers are 37 and 39). Along with paying attention to type advantage, it really does make that much difference. And, to me, it just makes the game that much more enjoyable to use actual strategy instead of just overleveled brute force.

To each their own though...

now i just do all my competitive battling on pokemon showdown

i was too obsessed with trying to get perfect natures ivs evs and i lost why i liked pokemon just playing the game and catching one of each type and work with what i have!
    my shinies =D

White 2 FRIEND CODE: 0004 1519 9174

im down to trade, battle etc. PM me

I used to but I fell off a while ago. Might get back into it next gen if I'm liking the new Pokémon, moves, abilities etc

I'm more casual. That or i'm just too lazy to EV train.
    Relationships are like farts; if you push too hard, you just end up with s***.
    -Azealia Banks

EVs, IVs, Natures, etc..., am I the only one around here who couldn't care less about them and think back to the old days when all that was said was "Imma Earthquake all you suckas!". I just play for the experience, not to make complex strategies.
    3DS FC: 4597 - 0384 - 5442

If you add me, PM me with your friend code and I'll add you.
    Friend Safari: Grass; has Oddish, Ivysaur and Quilladin

I'm not particularly competitive. I've EV trained before, and it is kind of fun, but I've been too lazy to do it consistently. Breeding doesn't sound even slightly fun to me for some reason, but that's probably because I don't like hatching eggs. There's also the fact that most of my favorites are statistically weak, and therefore, not very competitively viable.

Although, I'm considering EV training my team for gen 6. Because as I said, it was pretty exciting to see my Pokemon grow in that way.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast