Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your pokemon memories- How you started playing

Default Your pokemon memories- How you started playing

Share your pokemon memories!
    Which was your first pokemon game?
    When and where did you get it?
    What was your first pokemon experience like?

For me, I believe I was about 6 or 7 when I discovered that my big sister had a game boy color. I found it when i was in her bedroom with her one day: A clear purple GBC along with Bust A Move millennium, Super mario land, Game and watch gallery 2, and of course, Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Yellow. I was absolutely in love with it. I would sneak into her room whenever she was out with friends so that I could play it. She knew that I was doing that, and eventually she gave it to me, saying she didn't play it any more anyways.

My first experience with Pokemon had me hooked. I can't really remember for sure which of the games I played first, but I have a feeling it was probably gold or silver, with their sparkly plastic and shiny labels that appealed to me.
    I have fond memories of all 3 games. Stepping out onto route 29 of johto for the first time, with a Chikorita by my side. Trying to get through Viridian forest in Yellow without the trainers noticing me. The excitement I felt when i finally beat the champion in Gold for the first time, with a single level 72 Typhlosion. Those games, especially Gold and Silver, solidified my love of the Pokemon franchise for good.
    Last edited by Strawberry Mint; 26th January 2013 at 12:16 AM.

I was actually 18 or 19 and had fallen asleep with whatever station aired Pokemon on back in the day. When I woke up, Saturday morning cartoons were on, and Pokemon was on. I thought it was just irrationally funny, and kept laughing whenever Pikachu spoke.

So I ended up downloading an emulator and ROMs of Red and Blue and started playing. I thought the games were just FANTASTIC and kept playing. It led to my longterm affection for Butterfree, too, because in my very first playthrough, Butterfree was a BEAST for me. Sleep Powder and Psychic and Solar Beam? It was great.

I would go on to play Gen 2 mostly through ROMs, too, though I did end up buying a GBA and Crystal at some point.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

I was 7, My mom bought me pokemon red for christmas of '98 because I seen charizard in a book one time and loved it. I started playing and It took me a little bit to figure out how to get out of the room. lol I guess I didn't see the stair case... but once I started playing I was hooked. I played through pokemon Red a countless number of times and still go back and play it every now and then.

A few years later when G/S came out I fell for it even harder. It became my favorite game of all time. All my old favorites plus some new ones, some that became new favorites, was more than my young mind could handle. I'm really glad I got to see the start of pokemon.

3DS FC: 4313-0937-1327
    Friend Safari: Ghost; Lampent, Gourgheist, and IDk yet
    Nintendo Network: Raiin3

I was 7 or 8 when my brother told me to look for a game with an red dragon or blue turtle, he had both games but I could play his Blue anytime I wanted, when Gold Silver came out my brother got Silver, I was sad but on my birthday my parents got me my own Gameboy color and Pokemon Gold. I was so happy, since then I still play the games and collect lots of plushies and figures.
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I was about 6 or 7, my brother says, hey, you gotta watch this show, so he shows me pokemon's first episode, and i was hooked. My birthday comes up like a month or so later, and i get a gameboy color, and pokemon blue.

A week later, i trade blue for red, because my brother said red was better.
    85% of statistics are made up on the spot, don't bother putting this in your signature, because i made this statistic up too.

Around the year 2000, my cousin gave me some of his old consoles/games. Between those consoles was a Gameboy color, and with those games lied a very special game. Pokémon Red. I remember seeing that charizard on the catridge was the coolest thing. That was, obviously, the first game I tried. My cousin helped me with most stuff, translating stuff for me (that's how I started to learn english). I played that game, and I swear that was something magical about it. I just was instantly hooked up.

Playing that game soon made me a fan of the series. I got Pokémon Crystal soon after it's release, because my cousin bought it for me, knowing how much I loved Pokémon. And the rest is history. In fact, I didn't know the Anime existed for a while. I just saw a commercial one day and soon decided I should watch. And it was pretty fun! I watched it for some time, but then I stopped. I think it was halfway through avance when I stopped. No real reason I did so, though.
    Farmer, monster slayer, adventurer...

And womanizer, of course!

Oh boy, let's see, I think I first started when I was like 8 or 9 maybe with Pokemon Yellow and I started to watch it around the time it first came out on TV in the US. I actually don't really remember how I got Yellow, but it was probably given to me by my mom. I was instantly hooked with Pokemon because I just loved the game play, even if the graphics weren't that great, although back then I guess they were awesome. I just love to train Pokemon and just play the games.
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/ndr78w.png[/IMG]
    Banner created by the awesome Sweet May!

It all started thanks to my mom who worked at toys r us at the height of pokemon. she bought me the games and i loved them, my cousin was also a pokemon fan so i'd go over to his house and we;d watch episodes together on vhs and draw them and color them in with colored pencils. I saw the first movie with my cousin and loved it, i had so many pokemon toys and candy as a kid, i still remember the pokemon gum..it was a big pink square gum piece with a sugar decal of a pokemon and it came with a puzzle piece or tattoo....my mom working at toys r us got me all things pokemon, i even had a ash hat that i wore all through elementry school and i had pokemon sandals with ash and pikachu on them and pokemon sheets...yeah i'm still obsessed at 20 to this day with pokemon and i'm proud of it. I will always cherish my pokemon memories <3

I got into Pokemon n 1998 because my friend and a lot of kids at school were into it. I didn't get Blue until 1999 because I did not have a Gameboy.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

Lol, the first time I beat the elite 4, I restarted my game, cause it said END after the credits -.-
    I had such an amazaing Gengar
    On the everlasting quest to get a good, unhacked, uncloned and not RNG abused Event-Entei.

X FC: 4527-7554-6594

I was like 11 or 12. Pokemon had been around for a while but I wasn't really that interested on playing.

The summer when I was going into Junior High, I so happened to break my collarbone on the first day of summer vacation yeah, that was not fun at all :/ and I was stuck inside for weeks so my mom bought me a gameboy and my first Pokemon game, which I think was red (I'm not sure).

Been hooked on playing the games ever since.
    Pokemon Alpha Sahppire Team

Trainer Name: Erin
    3DS FC: 0748-3470-9720

My first Pokemon Fire Red when I was 7.

I got it at Wal-Mart or something.

I immediately chose Charmander and had fun until Emerald came out, and so on.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Well, I actually started with a stuffed bulbosaur that my uncle won from a claw machine.
    And then it went from the TCG to the anime and eventually to the games.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

My Pokemon experience began in 1999 at a summer camp. I overheard some kids roleplaying as Pokemon and decided to check it out. It was a lot of fun, and the other kids gave me some small cardboard "token" things from the back of a Lunchables box. I got some figures and cards after that, and then I discovered the anime and became completely hooked on the series. I got even more interested when my cousin got Red for his birthday, and I finally got my own Yellow Version later that year, which I played the heck out of. And that's how I came to be the Pokemaniac I still am today. I've played every main series game and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. : )

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Well lets see, I started with pokemon when it all originally started (10 yr old, coincidence much?), when they first viewed pokemon and digimon on tv for ytv, I ended up watching digimon and missed pokemon (but I always liked digimon the tv show over the pokemon one) anyways, then the card game came out and everyone else got pokemon cards but me, it took me forever before a friend finally gave me a fighting energy which I later traded that weekend for an itemfinder which I cherished until I finally started to spend my allowance on pokemon cards, and then later I got yellow for christmas (probably the same year idk), then I attended a league and have been playing ever since.
    Last edited by ven?; 26th January 2013 at 5:56 AM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I think I was first introduced to Pokemon when I was around 5 or 6 years old. A couple of my friends had these Pokemon cards and I was really intrigued by them.
    I didn't have any games of my own for a little while though. I know my first game was Yellow, and then Stadium. I think I had Pokemon cards before any of the games.
    I did play Blue version though, and Stadium at friends' houses.
    I don't remember exact details of everything that happened, but that's the basic story behind it.

Oh my god.... Gosh the memories. I grew up with my younger brother and three cousins, all boys. My brother watched Pokemon and my cousins played the games. They lived and breathed Pokemon. They even played pretend Pokemon. And that's all they played. I was the only girl so I really just automatically thought it was a boy thing. But then my parents took us to see Pokemon 2000 in theaters and I LOVED it! So I played Pokemon then and the next year for Christmas I asked for a Pokemon game. I got the clear purple Gameboy Color and Gold. Then for Easter I got Crystal. 11 or whatever years later I'm a bigger Pokemon fan than my cousins now(:
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

I believe I was 9... when the anime series started I played the red version since then I never stopped baha

Quote Originally Posted by meoicon530 View Post
    Giao di?n chĂ*nh trĂŞn S22....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerneas View Post
    EXACTLY, you tell em.
    omg ROFL!! x)
    My Deviantart

FRIEND CODES

Pearl - 2580 6879 0192
    Soul Silver - 0519 0493 9676
    Black - 2022 6879 0192
    Black2 - 4127 4094 7114

feel free to add me : )
    ----------------------------

My first exposure to Pokemon was when I was roughly in Kindergarden and my brother brought home a Vulpix card that one of his classmates gave him. I was interested, but not much came of it until we got a GBA from our parents. My brother also got Pokemon Ruby, and I remember watching him play all the time. For a long time, he was the only one who played, but eventually I got either Pokemon Sapphire or Pokemon Yellow (I can't remember which was first), and we got a second GBA. Around then I started playing the games about as much as my brother. I even played Pokemon Yellow to the point where it wouldn't even start anymore. As time passed, my brother was always the 'better' Pokemon fan, that is, until he suddenly lost interest around Diamond and Pearl, and quit the franchise altogether.

I still have that Vulpix card my brother brought home that day, and it is one of my most prized possessions.

Not sure how old I was but it was somewhere around 4 or 5. I watched the shows like crazy and eventually my dad bought me blue, after he was done beating it -_-. So yeah I can say pokemon was a huge part of my childhood and was my first videogame. I remember playing it all the time during long car trips and I even ended up getting one of those portable lights for my GBA. Ever since then I've bought each new game although that might change with 6 don't have enough money for a 3DS
    Back in my day there wasn't an XP bar on screen and you had to use cheats just to get the game in more then one color.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Weasel View Post
    Not sure how old I was but it was somewhere around 4 or 5. I watched the shows like crazy and eventually my dad bought me blue, after he was done beating it -_-. So yeah I can say pokemon was a huge part of my childhood and was my first videogame. I remember playing it all the time during long car trips and I even ended up getting one of those portable lights for my GBA. Ever since then I've bought each new game although that might change with 6 don't have enough money for a 3DS
    Oh my god. I remember when my cousin told me that the Game Boy Advance had a light in the screen and that we didn't need those portable lights anymore!!! Gosh this is bringing me so many memories.

But this making me feel so old to hear people talk about how their first game was Ruby/ Sapphire or FireRed/LeafGreen. However I guess 18 really isn't that old.
    Oh my gosh. You can tell I havent been on here since before X & Y was released.... Signature was before fairy type was even confirmed. Oh lordy that's been awhile ago.

I was like 4 years when I have played for the first time pokemon red since my dad bought for me when I was 3. It was a happy moment.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!

FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

the first time i ever turned on any gameboy any pokemon game i will never forget it

i was in grade 1 so about...?? 13 14 years ago i think

it was after school me and some kids were playing in the playground there was this high tower we use to jump off of then one i saw something looked like a device i jumped down the slide

then to my surprise it was a gameboy and an even bigger shock was pokemon red in the back i immediatly freaked out and started telling everyone what i found i turned it on and there he was red flipping his pokeball up and down with newer pokemon coming onto the screen then my mom said it was not mine and if i wanted it i would have to do the whole put it in lost and found and in 2 weeks if nobody claims it, it would be mine so i did

2 weeks later nobody claimed it i probably came in every 3rd day asking if it was time yet, i played that game not knowing a thing because i couldnt read or anything the game actually taught me to read. this older boy same name as me helped me out with the game and said that he would play with me once he found his gameboy he lost(epic foreshadowing) i really couldnt do anything with the game at all id get my starter and kinda do things.

then one day he asked me were i found it i showed him where and he said it was probably his so the good natured boy i was i gave it back. we became friends but i guess because he was older and i no longer had a gameboy he never wanted to play. of course i was crushed that was the first gameboy i had ever picked up held parents never wanted to buy me one money reasons. and that was it the first gameboy i ever had gone just like that not even a week having it i think long time ago.

then my mom starts dating this new guy and he had daughters much older than i and they had gameboy colours( at this point i had recieved a gameboy just dont remember when) and eventually they gave me their gameboy colour of course i was happy i think of it now as a good karma i gave a gameboy back which was techinically mine because i waited the 2 weeks period etc and recieved a gameboy colour instead.

i had a yellow version i would play in my cousins parents pizza place when my mom was at work and i would go there after school my cousin was gaming hero he would always be better than me eventually give me my first celebi with a gameshark most nostalgic moment for me always thinking was just playing in that pizza place trying to beat brock with my pikachu, and nidoran female.

then i get gold the first pokemon i ever got to level 100 without missingno glitch was my first starter from Gen II Feraligatr(im having huge nostalgia happening talking about this). then i got bored with the game because there was nothing to do no knew gyms so i restarted and i lost that feraligatr but i always restarted my games its why i played.

then to my surprise i get a pokemon blue for easter i wanted it so i could trade the original starters over and play with them at the beggining it was good times i had playing pokemon when i was just a young kid with all my friends.

then i never had a gameboy advance so i never got to play RSE as a child so i dont have nostalgia for them ive played no emulators but its not the same as if i was a kid. then i lost pokemon for awhile always playing my gameboy colour and blue on my pokemon stadium.

and when heartgold soulsilver came out i heard they were remakes of my favourite childhood game( i still played pokemon me and my friend just recently about a year ago finally beat pokemon stadium 1&2 i hate those games...)

so i bought a DS lite and got heartgold and eventually Soulsiver and now its these days of playing still need to get some gameboy advanced games.

but in my nintendo drawer i have my retired Blue, Red, Yellow, Pokemon stadium 1&2, 2 battery dead Golds(ive gotten 1 from a friend for my bd inculding his gameboy stuff friend), my silver, link cable, my friends gameboy colour my other friends gameboy colour, and probably the most important item the gameboy colour i recieved from that older girl i will never forget how happy i was and grateful for it.
    my shinies =D

White 2 FRIEND CODE: 0004 1519 9174

im down to trade, battle etc. PM me

I was like 8 when my brother started watching the anime. I remember only agreeing because it was always before Dinosaur King, my favorite show. It took AGES, but eventually I decided it wasn't too bad. I then got Diamond for my 9th bday and I have been hooked ever since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

I traded my Sonic Advance 3 game with my friend to get Pokemon emerald which was my first Pokemon game. Then after that I watched the anime from ep 1

Created by Inferno Productions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast