Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I alone in not liking shiny pokemon?

Presonally, if I had to chose a shine or Pokerus, I would take Pokerus because it actually impacts the Pokemon that have it in a good way and not just for looks, so I never look for shinies, I go for Pokerus. (Which I got and still have on a few Pokemon not long after I started Black 2.)
    Thanks Chapter of Charizard for the userbar

Quote Originally Posted by ice33333 View Post
    Check out this shiny
    http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/445.shtml
    I was really disappointed at game freak, but I still like shinies
    I can't even see the difference... o_o

Eh. I think they're kind of cool, just because they're unusual and different and the odds of finding them is low, but they're not that big a deal.

And even that nominal value of being unusual has been HEAVILY undermined by hackers and exploiters, who have really cheapened a thing that arguably wasn't all that valuable to begin with. I still value my own shinies, just because they're wholly legitimate and found only by luck. I no longer place any value whatsoever on any shiny anyone else claims to have, since they're likely to be simply exploited or hacked into the game, and if I know for a fact that they are, I feel nothing but contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by justinzoom00 View Post
    IKR because some Pokemon look worse when shiny like dragionite
    and Swampert.

Dammit, I've been practically dead. Too busy fighting demons and shadows.......* points evoker at head*....... back to work...* fires*

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Obviously, by my sig, I'm a shiny hunter, so I don't know how much my opinion means in this discussion. But this about sums it up:

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    it's interesting to see that some people take shiny hunting as a sport in the games.
    It's not as if there's a problem with not liking shinies. It's the same as not liking competitive battles, and there's nothing wrong with that. Liking shiny hunting is a hobby, and it makes sense that a game is played as a hobby. It's not like we hunt shinies because we want to prove anything to anyone else. It's all for personal enjoyment, and everyone enjoys different things. That's apparent by how everyone values their own shinies, even among shiny hunters. There is no point in shinies other than personal enjoyment, and that's what we play games for, right? And if you don't like them, well, no one will question you for that.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

I don't really care about shinies a whole lot. It's always still a shock to run into one in the wild, and I do try to catch them (and freak out a little bit either way), but that's about it. Otherwise, despite being for funsies, it's barely an afterthought for me.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I honestly couldn't care less about shinies, but I do catch them when I encounter them. I normally just use them for trade bait, though.

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I don't really care about shinies a whole lot. It's always still a shock to run into one in the wild, and I do try to catch them (and freak out a little bit either way), but that's about it. Otherwise, despite being for funsies, it's barely an afterthought for me.
    Same for me. xD They're so fun to find, but pointless at the same time.

They make good trade bait and that's about it.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

They're fun to randomly find and some of them look cool, but it's just a color change and most of them look ugly.

1. It's only cool for me if I randomly stumble upon it. Some look neat, and others are just...no.

2. To each their own.
    ~Fact of the Whenever~
    Life gives you lemons because a large portion of humanity wasn't thankful for the grapes it already had. Please treat all fruit with respect.

Depends really, some look better with their alternate colour, some look worse, some look the same. It all depends. I will admit that I do hate it when people battle you and they possess multiple shinies.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Depends really, some look better with their alternate colour, some look worse, some look the same. It all depends. I will admit that I do hate it when people battle you and they possess multiple shinies.
    This has never actually happened to me, however that is because I don't usually battle competitively.
    But I have been in a situation when I am trading with someone on GTS negotiations, and all of the Pokémon are shinies caught in masterballs.
    I think that since their stats are no different to a normal Pokémon, and considering their rarity, that they're almost pointless.

Magikarp used splash! It's a one-hit KO!

well they're not vital but shiny Krokorok is just too good
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

...meh, I can't say I dislike them, but I think they're kind of overrated.
    I mean, I do like the colors of some shiny Pokemon more than their regular colors... and if I'd ever find one, I WOULD try to catch one, but I'm not going to go out of my way to actually HUNT them. Doesn't seem like worth the time for me.

...but some shinies, I think, actually DO look worse than the normal ones, such as Dragonite and Krookodile.

Most pokemon look better non-shiny. Shinies just bring along this absurd pink shade onto a naturally black Honchkrow. It's ugly. There are a few that I'd prefer to use with the shiny version, like Altaria, but I usually prefer the non-shiny one. It bugs me that almost all nice RNG'd flawless pokemon are shiny.

I say its 50-50 between ppl who like and dislike shinies.

Still, how come you not like dem blingbling?

Well, I love shinies, but Im not a fan of all.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Quote Originally Posted by justinzoom00 View Post
    IKR because some Pokemon look worse when shiny like dragionite
    Dragonite looks like it fell in neon paint. Normal Dragonite>Shiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    This thread proves sppf is full of geniuses :x
    My Instagram, please follow!

Hoenn Starters :3

I'm gone from SPPF to pursue academics, and I most likely won't be back. Bye!

I'm basically done with shiny hunting. But I do still love them (mostly.) And I'm only playing the White Treehollow to get Shiny Dratini.

White 1335 5361 5411
    White 2 3740 7568 0796

I have never really cared for shiny Pokemon. I just view them as Pokemon with different colors. I never saw a reason to catch them other than bragging rights and the Pokedex.

Though shiny Buizel does look a lot like a certain two-tailed fox that I love.
    Last edited by Lluc; 21st January 2013 at 9:16 PM.

for me it totally depends on the pokmon.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I like shinies, but I don't think hunting/breeding for them is really worth my time, so I prefer to use the Pokémon with their regular color or use some sort of code to make them shiny.

What I've come to realise is its not really the alternate colour schemes that make shinies so appealing, its the rarity and/or the effort put into obtaining them. Even though they have poorer colour schemes than the originals, I cherish my shiny Tentacool and shiny Mewtwo. I don't think its bragging rights really, I adore my shiny Garaydos from SS just as much even though its easily obtainable, more just that great feeling of having something a bit special. Which is probably why after a lot of Wifi trades back on Pearl to amass quite a collection of shinies, they all just sit in my PC box or in Ranch. No matter how pretty some of them look, they loose so much of that great appeal when you haven't had to do any work for them. Its not really the question mark over their legitimacy, just the fact that having not caught them myself I don't feel any real ownership of them.
    ALPHA SAHPHIRE

I only hunt shiny's because there is nothing else I can do in the game, I got all pokémon already. Now I'm just making a shiny team with the right natures and all being male and after that I'll create a living Pokédex, finishing my Heartgold, SoulSilver, Platinum, Diamond, Pearl, White 2, White, Black, Emerald, Sapphire, Ruby, Leafgreen & Firered games just to have the feeling I've accomplished something.

~ | Latest shiny: Alpha Sapphire| ~

~ | Friendscode X & Y: 3196-4085-3103 | ~

~ | Living Pokédex: 719/721 | ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast