Thread: MM's Sprites - Going Out With a Bang

Default MM's Sprites - Going Out With a Bang

Hey, remember me? (in before: "no")
    With 6th gen doing away with sprites altogether, I'm going to move on to other projects, probably some original monster battler junk, more digital painting, and writing. But before I hang up my fakemon sprite hat I want to finish a fakedex so I have something to show for all my work.

So, this is an attempt to do just that.

I have quite a few old sprites/designs that I'm going to revamp or totally redo, but for the time being, here's what I have:

Onini -> Onibake -> Onikanabo,
    All Fire/Steel

Magosite -> Paravill
    Both Bug

Bomink -> Erminade
    Both Fire

Marqat
    Normal (changes type based on held item, other formes are unsprited)

Navangler (missing a preevo)
    Water/Steel

Thunny -> Bundam -> HRAIR-00
    Electric -> Electric/Steel x2

Unnamed Starmen fakemon
    Both Steel/Psychic

Unnamed Thorny Devil fakemon (missing a preevo)
    Ground

Tyranuke (missing a preevo)
    Dragon/Steel

Cosmitt -> Meteon -> Galiwyt / Evrizen
    Fire -> Fire -> Fire/Psychic / Fire/Dark

Grapplon -> Duride -> Cavalop
    All Dragon

DO NOT WORRY. I AM YOUR COMPATRIOT. WE ARE CONNECTED BY THE 1PX LINE OF FATE.

Sprite Resources
    Graphicsgale | TCoD Sprite Generator | My Tutorials

10 years of pixels and counting

Well, let me start by saying the obvious, I don't think you'll get a gigantic crowd of people swarming this thread anytime soon. If Serebii fan-sprites was dead 3 years ago, it now has the booming activity of J. Stalin's grave.

That said, critiquing each one would take a lot of time, and be mostly pointless when you've made your own style. SO, that said, the biggest flaw here that I see as whole, would be the consistency of both design, and spriting. The fire/steel Oni line, is without a doubt the standout line here in terms of both, so I'll compare others to it. While the whole line(especially the last), has a very clean minimalistic shading style, combined with hue shifting, clean linework, etc., you go to one like marqat, and the colors are flat, and many parts like the feather/hair, have every little strand shaded.

Now, most of them fit pretty well together, but a few marqat, navangler, and tyranuke are just a bit too complicated in terms of design, or spriting, to match with the rest.
    ----------------------------------