Thread: What are the best dual screeners?

Default What are the best dual screeners?

(I searched this forum, but I did not find any topic on this. So I hope I'm not being repetitive).

I play exclusively on Wi-Fi, so I'm not concerned about tiers (aside from what's banned on WiFi, such as Jirachi, Celebi, etc). And I pretty much only play Triple Battles (I like gimmicks, I guess).

Anyway, Azelf has pretty much been a staple on my team as one of my lead pokemon for the sake of dual screening. I love its speed, allowing it to set up screens before my opponent's pokemon go, but it's lack of bulk can be a bit disheartening. Then again, it has access to Taunt, which is another bonus.

I've been wondering if I should maybe switch to Latias, but I'm torn. It's slower than Azelf, but not by much. It has substantially more bulk and its stats are more balanced (not so much useless base stat put into physical ATK on my Timid Azelf). It also has two more prevalent weaknesses (ice and dragon). It loses Taunt, but gets Heal Pulse.

Then there's Espeon. Not as bulky as Latias or fast as Azelf, but it can't be Taunted out of setting up, either. There's something to be said for that.

I know people love Bronzong, but in Triples, I'm not so sure. I've tried using it to dual screen, but it's too slow. My opponent has already hit my team several times before it gets the screens up.

Which do you think is best? And are there any I'm not thinking of?

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

CRESSELIA. BULK = AMAZING. Its access to Levitate, Helping Hand, and Dual Screens make it ideal it Doubles/Triples, and its not too shabby in singles either.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Suicide lead azelf. Boom.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Memento Latios is fantastic, or once the opponents team has been worn down some, you can bring in Healing Wish Latias to set-up screens and fully heal a sweeper that could have taken some damage earlier.

Espeon sure shapes up to be a great dual screener. What makes it so great is that Espeon can come in on a spiker such as Ferrothorn or Forretress. Now unable to really touch Espeon with Magic Bounce in its arsenal, Ferro or Forre will have to switch out/volt switch out, leaving Espeon the opportunity to set up screens. The best part is that both of these pokes are very common, therefore Espeon has great use.
    hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Tai™ View Post
    Espeon sure shapes up the be a great dual screener. What makes it so great is that Espeon can come in on a spiker such as Ferrothorn or Forretress. Now unable to really touch Espeon with Magic Bounce in its arsenal, Ferro or Forre will have to switch out/volt switch out, leaving Espeon the opportunity to set up screens. The best part is that both of these pokes are very common, therefore Espeon has great use.
    Since when can Espeon come in on a Gyro Ball or Power Whip lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tai™ View Post
    Espeon sure shapes up to be a great dual screener. What makes it so great is that Espeon can come in on a spiker such as Ferrothorn or Forretress. Now unable to really touch Espeon with Magic Bounce in its arsenal, Ferro or Forre will have to switch out/volt switch out, leaving Espeon the opportunity to set up screens. The best part is that both of these pokes are very common, therefore Espeon has great use.
    There's a magical thing called PREDICTION. During the time you switch to Espeon, what if Ferro uses Gyro Ball and OHKOs your poor Espeon? It has very, very bad defenses, and it's not good at all in OU.

IMO the best dual screen user is Bronzong, thanks to its steel-typing, great defenses, decent attack stat, Levitate, and the ability to also set up Stealth Rock. Cresselia with Lunar Dance is also a very effective dual screener.

I don't know. My Espeon is very bulky, quick and esp. with reflect and light screen, it would be kind of a pain to take it down. Not saying it's the best, but it's definitely a good dual screen user.

Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    There's a magical thing called PREDICTION. During the time you switch to Espeon, what if Ferro uses Gyro Ball and OHKOs your poor Espeon? It has very, very bad defenses, and it's not good at all in OU.
    1. Yeh sure, and what if it doesn't? There's a magical thing called PREDICTION.

2. It's clearly obvious why they prefer Espeon over other screeners. Espeon is fast, can't be taunted, able to escape from Pursuit with Baton Pass, and able stand up against Prankster user without wasting a precious slot for Magic Bounce. Unlike majority of all Screeners besides Xatu.

3. If you remember Deoxys-S during its prime in OU, Deoxys-S wasn't infamously feared for it's bulk, but the ability to double its own defenses before the opposing Pokemon were able to land a hit. Allowing him to successfully set up both screens, let itself die upon completion, let the next Pokemon grabs 2 Sword Dances or 2 Dragon Dances, and smash the opposing team.

4. Now let's see how well Screener Espeon can take a Gyro Ball from a Standard Ferro behind Reflect :

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Espeon through Reflect: 114-135 (34.13 - 40.41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

^^

I'm pretty sure UberSucks meant for Espeon to switch in before screening. It definitely can't switch into Ferro though. Well, it can't if the foe can predict well, but I'm pretty certain that many will be light on their feet with hazards if they see Espeon.

My favourite duoscreener is Latias. It has great bulk and Healing Wish helps it survive longer. Latios is also a pretty good choice, since no one would taunt Latios, or usually. Espeon is pretty good too, but I find that it's kind of lacking facing mixed opponents (eg. You setup Reflect on a Chompster, when they decided, hell no, let's use Fire Blast!). That goes for a lot of duo screeners though. Next is Bronzong. Great defenses and a ground resistance.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Oh all right. Generally, I use my dual screen Espeon in double battles. What's good for Espeon is if it's bulky and a dual screener, it could give bulky hazard users a hard time dealing with Magic Bounce. Don't know if it's just me, but I've been lucky enough to switch in Espeon when they're about to use a hazard like Stealth Rock which works to my advantage.

Most likly Espeon. This is due to how espeon can easily set up 2 screens with light clay use both of them and be unable to be taunted or have hazards set up which will allow it to be a great mon to have a set up sweeper come out after which could occur throught the use of baton pass

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

A good dual screener that I have used would be Audino.
    This is the NU tier, so bear in mind with me.
    There is a lack of fighting types in NU, so Audino can easily set up screens and then you can switch into a pokemon to sweep.
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by UbersSuck20 View Post
    Geeya buddy, ya shouldn't state these things as if they're fact. :0 There are reasons it remains OU.

Anyways, the first Pokémon that comes to my mind who effectively lays Dual Screens would be...Espeon actually. To me, at least. ^^;
    Thanks to MB you cant status with one of those non-damaging moves or lay hazards to or around it and thanks to Baton Pass you can get outta Pursuit trappin from slower pursuiters and live to lay another day.

It's always gotten the job done when I used it.

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Deoxys-D I think Latias is a pretty good dual screener. It has a lot more surviveability then lets say Azelf who is not going to last very long even with screens up. Also not many Latias run Dual Screens (Less then 5% on PO I think) in the first place so more often then not you are probably going to catch someone off guard. Latias also has Healing Wish which can be very useful. Makes it a lot easier and safer to switch in a nother Pokemon once your screens are up if you decide it is the right time to use the move
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Personally, Mew, Jirachi, and Celebi, when played o Pokemon Showdown ave the right amount of base stats to be so defensive yet versatile. But I tell you. those three are meant to be versatile, not just defensive.

Let's say in Doubles, I give Mew both screens with Softboiled and Icy Wind. For me, the best dual screeners are those who can do more than just defending themselves. A Jack of all traits in other terms
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Very few people have paid attention to the fact that I mentioned this was for Triple Battles on Wi-Fi, but that's okay. It got some discussion going, and that's good.

I've been mostly switching between Azelf and Latias still. I tend to look at it as a matter of Ice weakness. If my team is already trending towards weak against Ice, I use Azelf. If not, I use Latias. I often miss the Taunt, though.

Espeon isn't as useful in Triples because there's very few entry hazards getting launched there. With that being the case, Espeon generally just seems to combine Azelf's lack of bulk with Latias' lower speed.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

If you ever attempt to use Dual Screens in the lower tiers, I would probably recommend Serperior, especially in NU. Having good bulk and high speed as well as Taunt, it can easily set up on most walls in NU or RU and switch the a sweeper to get the whole offensive ball rolling.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Espeon is a good one. He abuses statuses and hazards. He also has a great special bulk. 65/60/95 bulk is not too frail to use. He also can safely switch with Baton Pass to break opponent momentum. Latias is also a good screener. She has a better bulk than Espeon, but she can't bounces things. 80/90/110 bulk is amazing. She also has Healing Wish which cures statuses that opponent gives to your team. Then, Memento Latios. A rare thing. I almost never see this one. But, its good to use. Cresselia is also a good choice.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Everyone's probably going to hate on me for this but I really like Uxie as a dual screener. It has ridiculous bulk ( oftentimes I can get both layers up twice), can provide additional support with either t-wave or stealth rocks, and then can u turn out, saving your sweeper from taking any unnecesarry damage

^You ever have that moment you realize you forgot to give credit? Sorry Irra!!^

For me, Bronzong is the best, but in lower tiers, we have Flaffly, Serperior, Audino and something like this. But w/ little of prediction, Bronzong is immortal and can set up DS with relative ease. I've seen some sets running Lum Berry, sacrifing turns of Screen for durability, but that's your decision now

Ghost...

Spoiler:- Haunter & the BadBoys:

I don't play triples much and can't give good advice there, but in singles Espeon is definitely my favorite. Being immune to taunt and preventing entry hazards from being set up with baton pass to avoid pursuit. It's hard top that even with bulk

Please click my dragons to help them grow!

My PASBL Squad

I personally have used Espeon a lot in OU and I can counter just about anything. I first get dual screens up, depending on what type of move I'm expecting b/c it's faster than almost anything, then either Psychic it with 252 Sp. Atk or HP Ground. I would be walled by Honchkrow, but I just don't see it that much in OU.

[img]http://i41.*******.com/2dqo1e.png[/img]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Total clan wins: 25

Spoiler:- Credit:

I like Cresselia because it has tremendous bulk and can use Lunar Dance to heal one of your Pokemon. Azelf is also always reliable and works really well as a suicide dual screener.

Credits to Astral Shadow for both banners.

I've been using Virizion for my Dual Screener lately & it's worked extremely well, much to my surprise. With his base 129 Special Defense & solid base HP stat of 91, he can setup screens on much more threats than Latias/Os, Azelf & Espeon can, mainly due to his resistance to Pursuit. Finally, his base 108 Speed stat allows him to use Taunt to shrut down several entry hazard users & setup sweepers.