Thread: Sand Storm Team. (New to competetive pokes) Any help is appreciated!

Default Sand Storm Team. (New to competetive pokes) Any help is appreciated!

I know weather teams are generally looked down upon by most, but since I am fairly new to competetive play, I thought this would be a good start. Here's what I'm working on!

Hulda (Hippowdon) @Leftovers
    Ability: Sandstream
    EVs: 252 HP, 244 Def, 12 Spe. Def
    Nature: Relaxed (+Def, -Spd)
    -Earthquake
    -Slack Off
    -Stealth Rock
    -Roar

Hippowdon is my lead for this team. It's ability was obvious for the team as it's based on running in a sand storm. I went with a Relaxed nature ti increase it's bulky defense and slow it down to make sure the sand storm goes up if i go against an opposing weather team. His moveset is pretty straight forward. Earthquake is a reliable STAB move, Slack Off is for healing and walling out, Stealth Rock is to get some extra damage in for my sweepers, and Roar is to phase out anything trying to set up Dance moves or anything trying to lay down Spike/Toxic Spike layers. EV spread is to ensure she can take some hits.

Loke (Excadrill) @Air Balloon
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Spe. Atk)
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance

Excadrill is my main sweeper. Between his Jolly nature, EV spread, and Sand Rush ability, he can hit harder faster. Air Balloon is to protect from super effective Earthquake and any entry hazzards. Move set is pretty straight forward, Earthquake is the STAB move of choice, Rock Slide provides great coverage, Rapid Spin gets rid of my opponents entry hazzards and makes a Ferrothorn's Leech Seed worthless, and Swords Dance is to help his sweeping. Super fast and hits nice and hard.

Freyr (Reuniclus) @Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 Spe. Def
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    -Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball
    -Calm Mind

Reuniclus is great in the sand. It's Magic Guard ability keeps it from taking damage from the storm AND the Life Orb recoil damage. the Bold nature and bulky EV spread make Reuniclus a wall with a strong punch. Psychic is it's amazing STAB move, Focus Blast is for coverage (mostly against Ferrothorn), Energy Ball makes him a great counter to Rain Dance teams, and Calm Mind can make him a GREAT sweeper (although I might drop this for Recover so that he can wall better). One of my favorites on this team for sure.

Borghild (Ferrothorn) @Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 Spe. Def
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -Spe. Atk)
    -Power Whip/Seed Bomb
    -Leech Seed
    -Substitue
    -Toxic

I don't think I really need to explain this guy much. Rocky Helmet works with Iron Barbs to ensure any physical hit will create some heavy recoil damage on the opponent. A defense heavy nature and EV spread give it some amazing bulk. I went with a Sub-Seed moveset over a spikes moveset because I feel it'll be more reliable. Toxic+Sand Storm+Leech Seed means that the opponent is taking some significant damage every turn. Still not sure which is better between Power Whip and Seed Bomb.

Batman (Gliscor) @Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP, 184 Def, 72 Spe. Def
    Nature: Impish (+Def, -Spe. Atk)
    -Earthquake
    -Ice Fang
    -Substitute
    -Protect

I went through a few different builds for Gliscor before I settled on this one. Toxic Orb with Poison heal is just a better version of Leftovers for him. Earthquake for STAB and ice Fang for coverage. A defensive nature, EV spread, and Substitue/Protect moveset will ensure Gliscor lasts. Still want to experiment with a Fling/Acrobatics moveset, but I still feel this is more reliable.

Freakazoid (Rotom-W) @Choice Scarf
    Ablility: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spe. Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Nature: Modest (+Spe. Atk, -Atk)
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump

This is my check against Rain Dance teams. Volt Switch is there for scouting/hit-n-runs against water/flying pokes. Hidden Power Ice is there for coverage against the rarely seen Grass types. Thunder Bolt and Hydro Pump are both great STAB moves and provide coverage. EV spread made for speed and a Choice Scarf are there to hopefully get some revenge kills.

Ferrothorn, Conkeldurr, and Rain Dance teams seemed to be the bane of the Sand Storm teams. So I tried to set up some checks and balances to counter these while maintaining a linear attack plan against everything else. Built with both bulk and power in mind, I'd say I have a good start to my team. Any ideas on how to improve this are welcome! Thanks in advance!

i like the team i have a similar team i play with from time to time only difference is i have a lucario instead of the rotom is
    lucario
    ability justified
    evs 252 atk 252 spd 4 hp
    nature adamant (+atk -spatk)
    swords dance
    close combat/drain punch
    earthquake/extreme speed
    crunch
    pretty good sweeper give it a try

i`m assuming this is OU as everythig is excet excadrill, whos banned.

I know weather teams are generally looked down upon by most
    Lol? Weather is the most common playstyle in OU, it isn't looked down upon in any way....

Loke (Excadrill) @Air Balloon
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Spe. Atk)
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance

Excadrill is my main sweeper. Between his Jolly nature, EV spread, and Sand Rush ability, he can hit harder faster. Air Balloon is to protect from super effective Earthquake and any entry hazzards. Move set is pretty straight forward, Earthquake is the STAB move of choice, Rock Slide provides great coverage, Rapid Spin gets rid of my opponents entry hazzards and makes a Ferrothorn's Leech Seed worthless, and Swords Dance is to help his sweeping. Super fast and hits nice and hard.
    What tier is this team for? 'Cuz with Excadrill here you'll only be playing VGC or Ubers. For this slot, I'd suggest either Flame Charge Heatran or Reuniclus. The sets:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice

Flame Charge raises Heatran's Spe, and coverage moves from there. This also gets great synergy with Ferrothorn and gives you a nice FWG core with Rotom and Ferrothorn.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind

Every time I use this I hear at least one person say "Yeah, I have no answer to this". It's a fairly standard set but most people assume a TR set instead of a bulky CM stacker. They try to stall it out, Magic Guard laughs at them. And gives me some nice extra power free. And is just awesome in general.

Other than that, this is a solid team. I prefer T-Tar as my sand lead personally, but I've used Hippo (and both) as well. If either of those sets needs more explanation let me know, I get lazy on descriptions when I rate.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind

Every time I use this I hear at least one person say "Yeah, I have no answer to this". It's a fairly standard set but most people assume a TR set instead of a bulky CM stacker. They try to stall it out, Magic Guard laughs at them. And gives me some nice extra power free. And is just awesome in general.

Other than that, this is a solid team. I prefer T-Tar as my sand lead personally, but I've used Hippo (and both) as well. If either of those sets needs more explanation let me know, I get lazy on descriptions when I rate.
    Notice how he already has a Reunicles?

I'll definitely give the Lucario and Hetran a shot! This was meant for OU, although I mostly only play against friends of mine, we try to say within the confines of whats banned and the different tiers =]

Well OP's Reuniclus lacked recover which is a staple on CM Clus.

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Lol? Weather is the most common playstyle in OU, it isn't looked down upon in any way....

What tier is this team for? 'Cuz with Excadrill here you'll only be playing VGC or Ubers. For this slot, I'd suggest either Flame Charge Heatran or Reuniclus. The sets:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice

Flame Charge raises Heatran's Spe, and coverage moves from there. This also gets great synergy with Ferrothorn and gives you a nice FWG core with Rotom and Ferrothorn.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind

on wifi weather is looked down on

3ds fc 1349 6822 3907 oras ign Chopper , credit goes to Sworn Metalhead and 00swms the amazing banners.

Atrocious - Should I drop Energy Ball on Reuniclus for Recover then?

i wanted to keep this as OU, so I'll probably drop Excadrill for a Lucario.

Hey, for a self-proclaimed beginner, this team isn't half bad. i especially like how you didnt bs on your descriptions. Weather isn't looked down upon, but it's used so often people get frustrated with the lack of "creativity" in teams, but that shouldn't discourage you from trying what you think is best.

Now, I see a massive weakness to mamoswine, who hits neutral or s/e on everything except rotom-w, and scarftom is just set-up bait for half the ou tier.

You also have a weakness to rain teams, even with scrotom rotom, as well as just no dedicated special wall. now, walls arent required, and you can get away without them, but usually on a more fast-paced offensive team. which this team isn't.

To fix some of this, you might want to try SpD Gastrodon over rotom-w.

Gastrodon @Leftovers
    - Storm Drain -
    Bold/Sassy
    252 hp/ 192 def/ 64 SpD
    OR
    252 hp/ 4 SpA/ 252 SpD
    - Ice Beam/Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Earthquake

The ev spread and nature is your choice, I prefer the 252/192/64 bold because it allows it to take more physical hits, such as surviving the ohko from banded terrakion cc. a feat a lot of pokemon cant say. It just gives it much more physical bulk than normal. however, it may not be needed, due to gliscor and hippowdon being there to stop most physical attackers. be wary of conkelldur with ice punch though. either way, gassy survives the 2hko from latios drack meteor, hitting back with ice beam and/or recover stalling. LO variants break through the 2nd spread though, so its your choice. Your choice on scald or ice beam. ice beam lets you ohko gliscor who laughs at toxic-stalling, and do something against dragons who want to set up, like lum berry ddnite. Scald gives you stuff to do against mamoswine, and scizor, and lets you get possible burns, helping tremendously.

now, gliscor can probably be replaced with a more offensive Landorus-t. Lando Calrissian(s?) provides more utility as a pivot and with that 145 base attack is a force to be reckoned with even without investment.

Landorus-T @Leftovers
    - Intimidate -
    Adamant
    196 hp/ 64 atk/ 244 def/ 4 speed
    - Stone Edge
    - HP Ice
    - Earthquake
    - U-Turn

Great as a pivot, and it allows you to beat other non-invested landorus one on one, hitting them with hp ice.

Lastly, excadrill is uber, so you can try a Air Balloon/SubCharge Magnezone over it to help trap steels, namely ferrothorn, who give you problems. with the bulk on the team, you have no need for a rapid spinner.

That's all for right now, i wish you luck with your team!

Notice how he already has a Reunicles?
    Notice Energy Ball over Recover on his? Yeah.... I had originally missed his Reuniclus but after I wrote that I did see it. I didn't bother changing it though because as it stands it's basically still saying Recover over Energy Ball.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

That Crazy Russian - Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't been in the game for very long, is there anyway besides trading to get the Landorus? I already caught one through the Dream Radar and the nature isn't what I need at all. Also, would you suggest Gastrodon over Rotom W as my Rain Dance counter?

loco1234 - I'll definitely give Recover over Energy Ball a shot =]

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel666 View Post
    That Crazy Russian - Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't been in the game for very long, is there anyway besides trading to get the Landorus? I already caught one through the Dream Radar and the nature isn't what I need at all. Also, would you suggest Gastrodon over Rotom W as my Rain Dance counter?

loco1234 - I'll definitely give Recover over Energy Ball a shot =]
    I second recover. just saiyan.

Well, outside trading pokecheck you have to have dream radar. regardless, i recommend battle simulators like www.pokemonshowdown.com

and yes, tl;dr

gastrodon>rotom-w
    landorus-t>gliscor

Just 1 minor nitpick aside from the ones already mentioned: Don't always lead with hippo. Generally, it's your best bet leading but make sure to look at the opponent's team and make sure hippo won't be in any immediate danger. Just wanted to point that out as in hippo's description, it says: "This pokemon is my lead" or something like that. And of course the whole Excadrill thing. Aside from those things, this is a really solid team, especially from a self-pronounced beginner.
    Last edited by Superpower22; 31st January 2013 at 12:43 AM.