Thread: Is the Shining Charm slightly overpowered?

Default Is the Shining Charm slightly overpowered?

I mean, it makes shinies WAY more common. And I sorta think it makes them a bit too common. IMO. Maybe I'm just too used to the 1/8192 chance.
    Last edited by supersmew; 22nd January 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Saaatoshi!

I don't think it's overpowered. They're still very slim odds, plus it's a lot of effort to obtain in the first place.

White 1335 5361 5411
    White 2 3740 7568 0796

Using the shiny charm and Masuda Method, I gave up after about 1000 eggs trying to get a shiny Ralts. Breeding using this method lowers the odds to 1/1024, as low as the shiny odds can currently go. It isn't OP in my opinion.
    Black 2 FC - 2237 5230 0474

As I've mentioned in the shiny thread a few times........

It's not making them common at all.

Yes the chance may be higher, but it's still just a chance, even if the chance is 1/50, if you are unlucky you can go over 5000 encounters with no shiny at all.

Honestly I don't know why people are afraid of this thing. It's still very luck-based.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

The original chance in the wild is 1/8192, the item changes it to 1/2730. I wouldn't say slightly, for me it harshly raised the chances.

But encountering a Shiny in the wild is still hard though with 1/2730 as chances rate.

Shinies are still rare enough such that any player who doesn't actively hunt Shinies would probably never encounter a single one. For the Shiny hunters, the chance is still rare enough such that it would take you weeks to get one on average - hence Shinies would still be very "valuable", just a little more common.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

Shinies:

I like looking at it this way:
    yes, the shiny charm is going to (sometimes) save you some time in shiny hunting.
    in exchange for making things easier, it allows you to have a life during those hours you saved looking for your shiny.

Of course, some people only hunt during commutes and when they're bedridden and can't do anything else during those hours.
    So to them I say, it gives you more time to complete your shiny collection or create gifts for your friends in the form of shiny pokemon

I'd also like to point out that you can still go over the odds with the charm. 1/1024 with MM? and it took me 2229 eggs to get one smoochum? I went over the odds of ANY MM hunt >.<
    So, no. It's not overpowered.
    SS BQ: 1.2.
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.

The Shiny Charm is beast in the current metagame, capable of withstanding any attack and easily dismantling any team, stall and offense alike.

In all seriousness, I'd like to point out that

a) It's meant to be a reward for completing your National Dex, and an actual incentive to do it. It's got such a cool effect because it's otherwise not worth it. I'm sure many people who would've otherwise not completed have, if only to want more shiny Pokemon.
    b) As people have already pointed out, the odds still suck and are not in your favor. If it changed them to something like 1/100, then, yeah, maybe, but no.
    c) Shiny Pokemon have no competitive advantage over normal Pokemon; they just look slightly cooler in some instances. So, no one really cares anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by supersmew View Post
    I mean, it makes shinies WAY more common. And I sorta think it makes them a bit too common. IMO.
    And you would know, because you've completed your National Pokedex and can say with certainty that you've encountered three times as many shiny Pokemon than you would have without it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Pokemon can be good if you lower your standards a bit, and not expect anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by supersmew View Post
    I mean, it makes shinies WAY more common. And I sorta think it makes them a bit too common. IMO. Maybe I'm just too used to the 1/8192 chance.
    Feel free to not use it, then.

[/end thread]
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Feel free to not use it, then.

[/end thread]
    well, once you got it, you don't really have much of a choice after. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Agonist View Post
    well, once you got it, you don't really have much of a choice after.
    You could always, you know

not catch every Pokemon in the game

It's pretty avoidable if you don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Pokemon can be good if you lower your standards a bit, and not expect anything good.

Am I missing out on something here?
    Was this "shining charm" only available in B/W2?
    Back in my day there wasn't an XP bar on screen and you had to use cheats just to get the game in more then one color.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Weasel View Post
    Am I missing out on something here?
    Was this "shining charm" only available in B/W2?
    Yes, more info on the charm is found here.

And it isn't quite as huge of a difference in odds as some may think, although a 1/8192 chance does look huge compared to 1/2730.6 chance. I personally look more at the fact that the new odds are still greatly against you.

No, not only is it still rare to find one, but in order to get the charm, you need to complete the national dex. Not an easy challenge my friend.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    The original chance in the wild is 1/8192, the item changes it to 1/2730. I wouldn't say slightly, for me it harshly raised the chances.

But encountering a Shiny in the wild is still hard though with 1/2730 as chances rate.
    Agreed x1000%

I'm not a fan of the charm mainly because I feel it has created a division within the shiny hunting community. Most hunters now on YT have to prove that they don't use the charm and people who do use it get alot of hate. I personally don't want it because I highly value the challenge of obtaining a 1/8192 shiny and I hope they don't bring it back next gen so everyone hunting will now be on equal footing, atleast within that game.
    Shiny Kalos Challenge!
    (Obtain all 6th gen shinies)
    66/66 Obtained! Completed!!
    Latest Shiny!
    Obtained 6/24/14
    Total Shinies: 256

Currently Hunting:
    Pokemon X:
    Soul Silver: Safari Zone. (RE)
    Heart Gold: Safari Zone. (RE)

I think we should just stop complaining about the shiny charm. We already know the value of finding a shiny pokemon isn't what it used to be with all the pokedits and ARs out there. To be honest I didn't know shinys existed until I stumbled upon one in gen IV. With the addition of the shiny charm I think the actual value of having a shiny (if you caught it or not) has gone down a lot. If you catch/hatch a shiny legit without a shiny charm the only people who are going to care are the fellow shiny hunters out there who still hold shinys sacred. In a normal pokemon battle with a friend or a random battle online your opponent really isn't going to care about your "100% legit MM no charm u jelly" Charzard. They are just going to care that they have a Blastoise with its hydro pump cannons pointed at your shiny charizards black posterior.
    Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

A shiny charm shiny takes as much effort as a 1/8192 shiny. My first charm shiny took over 8 thousand REs to appear, so it is just as hard getting a shiny with the charm than it is without one. I've only ever had two shinies under the shiny charm odds. It is not like owning the charm gives me a shiny every 5 minutes, it is still all about luck.

The thing I don't get: why does it matter if someone uses the shiny charm? Does it affect your game because they decided to catch all available Pokemon? It is MY game, I'll play it how I please. The community has been divided long before the shiny charm came into existence anyways, so you can't just blame the shiny charm for 'ruining' shinies.

I still get satisfaction getting a charm shiny like I do a 1/8192 shiny. I'll keep on using the shiny charm, just like I'll still hunt with the 1/8192 odds.

Quote Originally Posted by City Of Delusion View Post
    I'm not a fan of the charm mainly because I feel it has created a division within the shiny hunting community. Most hunters now on YT have to prove that they don't use the charm and people who do use it get alot of hate. I personally don't want it because I highly value the challenge of obtaining a 1/8192 shiny and I hope they don't bring it back next gen so everyone hunting will now be on equal footing, atleast within that game.
    Everyone is on equal footing. If you don't like the shining charm for whatever weird reason, feel free to not use it. You have to go talk to an NPC to receive it, so you can even complete the dex and still not get it.

It isn't like there is an actual difference between Pokemon obtained with one and one without.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I have heard peoples hunts go over the normal odds with the shiny charm, so it does even itself out. But if you can fill the national dex, you deserve new odds =D
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

As people above me have said, if you don't want it, don't fill your national dex. Or, if you do fill your dex, don't talk to the professor and get it.

If shiny hunting worked out as "after 8191 encounters you will most certainly find a shiny on the next pokemon you encounter", all right, maybe the shiny charm would make shinies lose their value. But it doesn't work like that. It means that, even with the charm, you have a 1 in 2730 chance of getting a shiny each time you have a wild encounter/hatch an egg. That's still a tiny chance, so a lot of luck is still required. It doesn't make them common at all, the fraction of a percent chance you have of running into a shiny is still incredibly small.

But seriously, if you have a problem with the charm, just don't get it.

I just got the charm yesterday and i welcome the better odds, considering the hunt I'm on before getting the charm was over 18,000 so with th charm i should hopefully get one soon, but its all about luck

I think it's a fair item. I've put thousands of hours into the games and haven't seen a single random wild shiny in any of the games.
    My Favorite Pokémon

Considering the only shiny Pokemon I've got in White 2 are the 2 in-game shinies, I don't think it's OP at all. Besides, it's not like I've tried to collect shinies anyway.
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/otn79k.png[/IMG]