View Poll Results: Would you change typing chart?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 20.25%
  • No

126 79.75%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that some pokemon types are unnecessary?

All the types are important in-game. No ground, all electric types have no weakness. No dragon, quite a few legendary or just plain strong pokemon gone.
    I claim Salamence and Castform(Rain)!!!;

Fear their power!!!

I do think that, at some point a new type should be created and it should be weak to poison. Poison just has a bad rap of only being effective against one type.
    You know your name better than I do. YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I do think that, at some point a new type should be created and it should be weak to poison. Poison just has a bad rap of only being effective against one type.
    Or we could make Water and some other types weak to poison. Water is kind of overpowered at the moment anyway. I'm not too fond of the idea of new types because I think the types we already have cover pretty much everything we need.

Although yes i do feel bad for poison type pokemon... they aren't all terrible and i've always seen poison as a secondary type anyway like flying. I think Poison is best when paired with another type (except fighting). Water seems to be the favourite type of the creators so it being "overpowered" is probably down to that. I disagree that some types are unnecessary, i do think that adding so many new water types is unnecessary though. More type combinations that have yet to be used would be welcomed as well as additions to type combinations with only one evolution line (example, Heracross, Galvantula).
    Shinies are good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    No. Every type is unique enough to be it's own, unlike every type people think should be in the game, like Light.
    Yeah, if everyone wants a light type that badly, go play Digimon.
    But seriously, Psychic functions as a sort of "light" type.
    I do wish grass had fewer weaknesses, though. Makes it hard to work with most of the early gyms if you chose a grass-type starter.
    Yes, I like Problem?

Certain types may be weak, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist.

“Nameless... Like me...” - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

I don't wish that any didn't exist, but if I had to pick one it would be Ground, too similar to Rock. Dark wasn't really needed, either.
    #ofwgktadgaf

I think Rock is a good type, but it should go away, Ground is a basic type, Rock is like a sub type of Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
    I don't wish that any didn't exist, but if I had to pick one it would be Ground, too similar to Rock. Dark wasn't really needed, either.
    Ground is similar, but if you compare the matchup, they're pretty different attacking options, and they still are different concepts. Sand or borrowing pokemon like Diglet, Sandshrew, and Excadril wouldn't make as much sense as a rock type.

Dark was added for balancing reasons.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    If I get agitated or embarrassed, I have a tendency to say stupid things as a cover up. Think nothing of it.

Not really, no.

I think they should add Sound and Light, along with Air.
    Current LeafGreen Team:

Gem Lv 40
    Beautifly Lv 41
    Charzin Lv 41
    Falconion Lv 41
    Wiz Lv 42
    Picasso Lv 43

Emerald Team:

Nimbus Lv 26
    Eragon Lv 28
    Geico Lv 28
    Vision Lv 28
    Metallik Lv 31
    Azullerell Lv 33

I always thought the Normal type was kind of a dumb idea. It is basically "we couldn't think of anything else," and it would make more sense to me if it was called "Typeless."

All types have a purpose, with Steel and Dark there to balance the killer that was the Psychic type in Gen1.

if types were removed there would have been less strategy in pokemon and than it's all about stats, speed and raw power.
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

Quote Originally Posted by Shyy_Guii View Post
    I think they should add Sound and Light, along with Air.
    Air = Flying. Seriously, with moves like Hurricane and Air Slash it's already covered.

Light is unnecessary imo. Light-based pokemon can be Psychic, Fire, Electric(oh hey Ampharos) or maybe even Normal.

Sound intrigues me, but I don't think many concepts could be drawn from just sound. And again, Normal and Steel to an extent cover this.

Thing is, they aren't missing out on concepts for pokemon because there aren't enough types and the type chart isn't wildly imbalanced enough to warrant a new type like in Gen 2.

As for less types I don't think so. The closest you could get to a type merger is putting together Ghost and Dark whose relationships with other types is quite similar. Thing is not all Ghost types a sinister(just creepy) and very few Dark types are Ghosts. There is potential for some odd kind of 'supernatural' type or something like that but all types are quite distinct from eachother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

The only type I would like to see added is Cosmic (or Alien but Cosmic sounds nicer). It would fit for Pokemon not originated on Earth like Deoxys or Jirachi and I think it would be cool to see more Pokemon like that. I admit my love for looking at the stars and space documentaries fuels me wanting this type but I think it could work and I'd like if it would be weak only to Dragon (since Dragon is hardly SE to anything!), Dark (same as Dragon) and maybe Poison (same reason).

Other than that I like the types we have and don't think any should be removed/altered but I wouldn't mind if a new type was added as long as the balance was kept.
        Spoiler:- My Shinies:

Top favs:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...ogical-Society

Wind anyone? We already have Flying sure but still. You could split types into 2 identical types so it would make more sense (Flying/Wind, Bug/Arachnic, Light/Electric)
    Last edited by Chrysaries; 6th February 2013 at 9:07 PM.

My FC (Y): 3995-6945-2972 (Fairy) ||Banner Credit to Sworn Metalhead!
    Trainer's Card ||
    http://9gag.com/chrysaries || Pokememes/Memebase||Battle FC: 3182 4147 0411
    Quote Originally Posted by 0LdSk00lMew View Post
    I'm not going to lie you have the best stuff around xD

Removing types will not happen. Adding new ones maybe.

It doesn't need changed. All types have weaknesses

I used to think Posion was unnecessary... now nawp. So in general I think all types are necessary no more no less. I feel like if they add something new it will mess up the "balance" it already has. Even though we could take the addition of Dark, but it was pretty much needed to balance the Psychic Pokemon. >.>
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

I'm confused by your topic; are you wanting to remove types, or change how types are effective against each other? Because the poll does not match the title of the topic, nor what you posted for the first comment.

If it were up to me, yes, I'd remove either ghost or dark types. They're way to similar in play styles and effectiveness. The only thing that differentiates them is weakness and resistances, and even that's similar with each having an immunity, and either a weakness or a resistance to the others' respective counterparts. Both tend to use status moves (taunt, torment, spite, grudge all share similarities for controlling PP usage), both penalize the opponent with added effects (dark pulse, snarl, astonish, bite, lick, etc.) , and both share similar base power attacks under circumstances (hex=payback=assurance, shadow ball = dark pulse, shadow claw = night slash). Even more so, Game Freak went one step further in 2005 with XD, making Shadow typed Pokemon; can we say excessive? Too similar, and neither type really panned out the way I wanted them to. I'm sorry but a hot air balloon is a ghost? Really?!

I'd also happily remove ice types from the equation. Other RPGs relegate water and ice into one single element, but Game Freak was creative. Unfortunately, game creator vision doesn't hold a candle to common sense, and now we have a type which may be fantastic offensively for unusual reasons, but utterly fails defensively for more practical ones. Just about everything that punishes ice types does so because a real life counterpart would do the same. Might as well just stick with water, and let it be effective against dragons. Grass doesn't need anymore weaknesses anyways.

And rock types have become my #1 pet peeve when playing Pokemon. We have 9 fossil Pokemon now, so 17 dex entries to gather, just from rearing fossils. Stealth Rock is just as annoying as it was 6 years ago, and Rock is still weak to just about everything that grass isn't weak to. ULGH! It was such a cool type in RBY rarely seen except for two moves, but overtime it's become the official nuisance type. Sand box play, Stone Edge woes, and Rock Blast Cloyster also add to this grudge of evil and despair associated with Rock-types. How about making Ground types weak to Steel, and forget this type (along with the move Stealth Rock) altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario with Lasers View Post
    By the way, Miltank with Rapid Spin for great justice. ROTATING NIPPLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    It feels like... I had a halfmeter-long boner. After hearing this, it suddenly went all flaccid. Forever.
    3DS Friend Code (In-Game name is Jesse): 5343-7935-6882
    X Friend Safari: Grass-type: Blahdish, Sawbsux, GoGoatse ( -_-' troll freak...)

I SUPPORT REGIGIGAS WITH EXPLOSION.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Yes every Pokemon type is important. Rock and Ground are really different if you ask me...Ground does more than Rock while Rock works it's way around in different ways than ground. Eh just me
    I am Crimson

PO Usernames:
    - Crim
    Crimson101

Anybody out here interested in trading.

The type that will always concern me would be the Ice types, poison types, and the normal types. Give them a power up since these are like the types being ditched most of the time, type wise, to a pokemon's type (especially the former). Ice was the type that many say that it serves no other purpose than to slaughter dragons, grass, and flying types. Playing a defensive role is like saying forget it.

Seriously, the Ice type and poison type get badly behind the rest. While I could say the same to Normal types, their HUGE moveset [only out numbered by psychics] make up for their flaws.

If I were to change the characteristics of those types, it could be like this:

Ice
    Offensive advantage: Dragon, Flying, Grass, Ground
    Defensive resistance: Ice, Poison

Poison
    Offensive advantage: Grass, steel [I got this tiny Idea from a Chenistry book somewhere about corrosion, rust,], and bug
    Defensive resistance: Poison, Bug, Fighting

But the true concern for me is whenever existing pokemon should have a better typing that fits their description. Lke when other players wanted charizard, Gyarados, Serperior, or/and Sceptile to be part Dragon. Or the other thing, to get RID OF EVERY common bird pokemon's Part normal type (as if saying they want the early pidgeons to be like a pure Tornadus type wise).

For those who need to be reminded of Psychic types, their weaknesses are based on he three MOST COMMON human fears in a world wide bass I guess. you see, saying those to a light type would also be reflecting back on historical beliefs.
    If you know the Black plaque described in the Holy Bible, on what the catholics believed, The Angel of Death was the Ghost type. The locusts were the Bug type. and the Moonless night sky was the Dark type.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 13th February 2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by Atratus View Post
    I always thought the Normal type was kind of a dumb idea. It is basically "we couldn't think of anything else," and it would make more sense to me if it was called "Typeless."
    Naming normal type is better than typeless.

Quote Originally Posted by !jirachi! View Post
    if types were removed there would have been less strategy in pokemon and than it's all about stats, speed and raw power.
    Exactly. Types make up for stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    Light is unnecessary imo. Light-based pokemon can be Psychic, Fire, Electric(oh hey Ampharos) or maybe even Normal.
    Not unnecessary. It depends on your definition of light.

Quote Originally Posted by MileniaKitsune View Post
    The only type I would like to see added is Cosmic (or Alien but Cosmic sounds nicer). It would fit for Pokemon not originated on Earth like Deoxys or Jirachi and I think it would be cool to see more Pokemon like that.
    Cosmic/Alien/Spacial is an interestint type that fits well on a lot of Pokemons.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 13th February 2013 at 1:48 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast