Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Video game ratings legislation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    722

    Default Video game ratings legislation

    In the wake of such tragedies as the Newton school shootings, Colorado theater shootings and a handful of mall shootings it is not a surprise that the media is pointing the finger at media especially video games.

    However we have seen this before, in the wake of the Columbine shootings and the Heath High school shooting in my home state of Kentucky, the media pointed the finger at music. Artists like Eminem and Marilyn Manson were put under fire for the messages in their songs.

    With this being such a hot button issue and now that the 113th US congress has just been sworn in, I fully expect for there to be an increase in debates and laws/bills trying to be pushed through. This article over at IGN.com highlights how one Utah senator is proposing to make the ESRB the governing force when rating video games.

    But wait a minute...the ESRB already rates video games so what is the point? Well this law would make it mandatory for manufactures to compile a rating for their game and then picture the rating clearly on the front of the packaging. Which again is already done, but the imposed fines would be the new feature. $5000 to any person found in violation of the restrictions.

    Most companies like Target and Game Stop will generally check ID's before selling a game to someone that may appear to be younger that 18, this would almost force them to do so.

    My questions:

    Should the government get involved and back the ESRB?

    Should there be age restrictions to buying video games and should stores be forced to ask their patrons to present ID?

    Should they go as far as to make proof of age a requirement for all video games over a certain rating?

    Is this constitutional?

    Any additional thoughts?

    I DO NOT want this to deteriorate into a debate about how video game/TV/Movie violence affects people or children. Whether it does or does not, that is not what is up for debate. I simply want to know your thoughts on the article and on the idea of a government back ratings system and fines for video games.

    B

    EDIT: While I still want to avoid this thread turning into a debate about whether violent movies/games/music causes people to commit violent acts, I do however have a hypothetical question.

    Lets say, HYPOTHETICALLY, that scientists do discover a correlation between violent media and (school) shootings. If this were to happen, would the First Amendment still hold? would changes be made? In your opinion how would this affect this industry?
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 29th January 2013 at 6:34 PM. Reason: added hypothetical scenario
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dark Realm
    Posts
    45

    Default

    The purpose of the United States government attempting to impose laws on video games is for the purpose of making money and gaining leverage for gun control.

    How they make money on this is either by forcing extra taxes on the sales of M-rated games, or as suggested in the OP, the addition of fines.

    Ultimately, it's all about money and power. And as for the media's role in this, it's to aid the government in seizing more power.



    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    My questions:

    Should the government get involved and back the ESRB?
    The government has more important things to focus on, and it's not their place to regulate forms of entertainment. They have plenty of power as it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Should there be age restrictions to buying video games and should stores be forced to ask their patrons to present ID?
    It's the right of the retailer to decide this, not the government's. I would say to them that they should deny selling kids adulterated games, but it's ultimately the parent's responsibility for this, not the government.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Should they go as far as to make proof of age a requirement for all video games over a certain rating?
    The stores can do whatever they want. I'd suggest that they ask for ID's, but the government has no right to force them to.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Is this constitutional?
    Speaking of the government, the constitution means absolutely nothing to them now, and is no longer a factor in how this country is run in this day and age.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Any additional thoughts?
    Just a few;

    1. It shouldn't be a surprise that the United States government is attempting to force its way into regulating video games. This is a common practice in fascist countries.

    2. Things like this have happened before video games have existed. Corrupt governments always want to find a way to gain more money and power.

    In this case, they and their lackeys in the media are trying to take advantage of the atrociously ignorant and impressionable public's stupidity to convince them that video games somehow turn humans into law-breaking psychopaths.

    3. Don't expect that more things like this won't happen, because this gold-digging government will try to regulate video games and everything else that can be considered to effect us until they have enough cash to buy their own continents.

    Yep, it's irritating, but that's the United States government today. Look at the politicians, and you'll see men and women that are more desperate for money than those in poverty (though they do their best not to show it).

    Sad, annoying, but true. But I'm sure we can all agree that the government regulating video games and placing unfair bans is unacceptable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    95

    Default

    What I hope doesn't end up happening is the banning of games the government believes to be too violent, i.e. GTA. While i'm all for stores checking ID's of customers they believe are underage, I don't think it's Big Brothers job to make them do so.
    Pokemon Black FC - 0476 1815 2250

    I have an Arcanine and a Latias fully EV trained. Make me an offer.

    Xbox Live Gamertag - Multiple Roundz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
    What I hope doesn't end up happening is the banning of games the government believes to be too violent, i.e. GTA. While i'm all for stores checking ID's of customers they believe are underage, I don't think it's Big Brothers job to make them do so.
    Video games are considered protected speech. Technically, they can't ban them.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue
    The usual links

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Video games are considered protected speech. Technically, they can't ban them.

    Well good i'm glad to hear that. Here's hoping they don't change the constitution to allow them to do so. Not saying that's possible, just a thought.
    Pokemon Black FC - 0476 1815 2250

    I have an Arcanine and a Latias fully EV trained. Make me an offer.

    Xbox Live Gamertag - Multiple Roundz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    In the wake of such tragedies as the Newton school shootings, Colorado theater shootings and a handful of mall shootings it is not a surprise that the media is pointing the finger at media especially video games.

    However we have seen this before, in the wake of the Columbine shootings and the Heath High school shooting in my home state of Kentucky, the media pointed the finger at music. Artists like Eminem and Marilyn Manson were put under fire for the messages in their songs.

    With this being such a hot button issue and now that the 113th US congress has just been sworn in, I fully expect for there to be an increase in debates and laws/bills trying to be pushed through. This article over at IGN.com highlights how one Utah senator is proposing to make the ESRB the governing force when rating video games.

    But wait a minute...the ESRB already rates video games so what is the point? Well this law would make it mandatory for manufactures to compile a rating for their game and then picture the rating clearly on the front of the packaging. Which again is already done, but the imposed fines would be the new feature. $5000 to any person found in violation of the restrictions.

    Most companies like Target and Game Stop will generally check ID's before selling a game to someone that may appear to be younger that 18, this would almost force them to do so.

    My questions:

    Should the government get involved and back the ESRB?

    Should there be age restrictions to buying video games and should stores be forced to ask their patrons to present ID?

    Should they go as far as to make proof of age a requirement for all video games over a certain rating?

    Is this constitutional?

    Any additional thoughts?

    I DO NOT want this to deteriorate into a debate about how video game/TV/Movie violence affects people or children. Whether it does or does not, that is not what is up for debate. I simply want to know your thoughts on the article and on the idea of a government back ratings system and fines for video games.

    B
    While questions 1-3 should be done, and 2 and 3 are being done, it still doesn't solve the problem of irresponsible parents. I worked at gamestop for a while, and I lost count of the number of times a parent brought their elementary kid in and bought them Call of Duty or some other M rated game. The kids would often walk out excitedly talking about how they were going to get the most kills or something.

    It isn't the games themselves that are the real issue, its the parents who allow their underage children to play them

    "What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    While questions 1-3 should be done, and 2 and 3 are being done, it still doesn't solve the problem of irresponsible parents. I worked at gamestop for a while, and I lost count of the number of times a parent brought their elementary kid in and bought them Call of Duty or some other M rated game. The kids would often walk out excitedly talking about how they were going to get the most kills or something.

    It isn't the games themselves that are the real issue, its the parents who allow their underage children to play them
    This is a good point. I worked at Gamestop as well (actually I worked there when it was called Electronics Boutique...LOL). It was the same way there, parents coming in and purchasing games like GTA for kids. Our manager made it mandatory that we explain the game rating and the nature of the game. We were also told to refuse the game to anyone that looked under the age of 18 (we werent allowed to "ask" for ID's for some odd reason), so we had to make a judgement call. I got yelled at quite a few times. Ultimately it did nothing, but there were a few rare occasions when the parent was shocked at the nature of the game and refused to buy it for their kid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Video games are considered protected speech. Technically, they can't ban them.
    Correct! Also this is the basis behind the argument that the government cannot impose regulations like these on video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    The purpose of the United States government attempting to impose laws on video games is for the purpose of making money and gaining leverage for gun control.

    How they make money on this is either by forcing extra taxes on the sales of M-rated games, or as suggested in the OP, the addition of fines.

    Ultimately, it's all about money and power. And as for the media's role in this, it's to aid the government in seizing more power.





    The government has more important things to focus on, and it's not their place to regulate forms of entertainment. They have plenty of power as it is.



    It's the right of the retailer to decide this, not the government's. I would say to them that they should deny selling kids adulterated games, but it's ultimately the parent's responsibility for this, not the government.



    The stores can do whatever they want. I'd suggest that they ask for ID's, but the government has no right to force them to.



    Speaking of the government, the constitution means absolutely nothing to them now, and is no longer a factor in how this country is run in this day and age.



    Just a few;

    1. It shouldn't be a surprise that the United States government is attempting to force its way into regulating video games. This is a common practice in fascist countries.

    2. Things like this have happened before video games have existed. Corrupt governments always want to find a way to gain more money and power.

    In this case, they and their lackeys in the media are trying to take advantage of the atrociously ignorant and impressionable public's stupidity to convince them that video games somehow turn humans into law-breaking psychopaths.

    3. Don't expect that more things like this won't happen, because this gold-digging government will try to regulate video games and everything else that can be considered to effect us until they have enough cash to buy their own continents.

    Yep, it's irritating, but that's the United States government today. Look at the politicians, and you'll see men and women that are more desperate for money than those in poverty (though they do their best not to show it).

    Sad, annoying, but true. But I'm sure we can all agree that the government regulating video games and placing unfair bans is unacceptable.
    You make some very good point and I completely agree with you.

    Just to play devil's advocate, what about people equating this to rated-R movies or alcohol or tobacco? There are age restrictions on those and proof of age is required to purchase those items. Why should they not be forced to show proof of age to purchase violent video games, which in some cases are worse that a lot of movies?

    B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 28th January 2013 at 12:45 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The Enterprise
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Should the government get involved and back the ESRB?
    It doesnt sound like they are doing anything worthwhile so who cares?

    Should there be age restrictions to buying video games and should stores be forced to ask their patrons to present ID?
    Well, this would depend on the topic that you dont want to go into, if it could be proven that it effects the minds of young children, then yes.

    Should they go as far as to make proof of age a requirement for all video games over a certain rating?
    again, if it was proven that children under a certiaan age would be at risk of being effected.

    Is this constitutional?
    do they care anymore?

    Any additional thoughts?
    as you said the already have age restrictions on things that can effect younger people. I just see this as an extention of that.
    Side note: the gamestop where i live will sell a M game to someone if they are 17+ not 18+, i dont know if the guy is just being loose, or if the age is lower. *shrugs* just saying.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me or take a look at the information in my profile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    There is no proved relation between violent video games and (school) shootings. Well, except that both are violent. Because of that, (school) shootings are not a valid argument for imposing restrictions on violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    Most companies like Target and Game Stop will generally check ID's before selling a game to someone that may appear to be younger that 18, this would almost force them to do so.
    In Sweden, the ratings are recommendations, not restrictions. Anyone is allowed to play a game rated 18+, but it's not recommended to do so if you are not 18+. Meaning that the parents decide if their kid can handle the contents of the game, which seems reasonable as people develop at different rates (which is an argument against age restrictions). Maybe it's different in USA and in that case, a debate about restrictions versus recommendations might be recommended.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweet Home, Chicago
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    The First Amendment guarantees that the American government does NOT have the right to ban or censor ANYTHING because of its content.
    Here are some links. Clicking on them, and then following their instructions will generate revenue from adds which is directly donated to one of many causes. You may click any of these links once a day to make a small donation. Please do so.


    | Global Warming | Animals and Pet Shelters | Books For Children | Hunger | Breast Cancer | Children's Health Care

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern Island, Hoenn
    Posts
    663

    Default

    If video games make me violent?
    .....
    Then why didn't monopoly make me a millionaire?
    You can't link that violent tragedy in Newtown to video games. In most cases, is the parents fault for not being responsible and letting their kid have games like Cod. As someone mentioned before, the employees should explain the nature of those m games to parents who are blindly buying the games there kids want. (Gamestop already forces you to have an adult present when buying an m-rated rated game if you're Under 18)
    FC (White): 1248-9416-2795
    3DS FC: 1633-4254-1939
    Friend Safari: (Rock) Dwebble, Macargo, Barbaracle
    PM me if you want a battle or trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    What? You don't feel the testosterone rush through your veins when you look at Machamp's large, manly pecs?


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkjigglypuff View Post
    The First Amendment guarantees that the American government does NOT have the right to ban or censor ANYTHING because of its content.
    Who imposes the age restriction on viewing R-rated movies? Or renting R-rated or NC-17 movies? What about pornography? You have to 18 sometimes 21 in every state to rent, buy or purchase access to a site. Is this government controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by EonDragonFTW View Post
    If video games make me violent?
    .....
    Then why didn't monopoly make me a millionaire?
    You can't link that violent tragedy in Newtown to video games. In most cases, is the parents fault for not being responsible and letting their kid have games like Cod. As someone mentioned before, the employees should explain the nature of those m games to parents who are blindly buying the games there kids want. (Gamestop already forces you to have an adult present when buying an m-rated rated game if you're Under 18)
    While I understand what you are saying and I am sure we could argue this point until the sun stops burning, I would like to avoid this topic.

    This thread is not about whether or not video games make people violent.

    However, you raise an interesting point. I am changing the OP to reflect this.

    B
    Last edited by BJPalmer85; 29th January 2013 at 6:30 PM.
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

    Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

    Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    YFU should be banned
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    While questions 1-3 should be done, and 2 and 3 are being done, it still doesn't solve the problem of irresponsible parents. I worked at gamestop for a while, and I lost count of the number of times a parent brought their elementary kid in and bought them Call of Duty or some other M rated game. The kids would often walk out excitedly talking about how they were going to get the most kills or something.

    It isn't the games themselves that are the real issue, its the parents who allow their underage children to play them
    This is spot on. In my opinion, it's the parents, not the video game companies, who are at fault. Seriously, what kind of parent buy their elementary kids games intended for ages 18 and up?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMaaan View Post
    Thanks, there was no reason to be like that, I could just find your quotes where you support bullying. I've made clear countless times that my parents spoke with her parents, it didn't work, i spoke with her, it didnt work, what the hank do you want me to do? call the cops, lol? slapping her was the only option, only an idiot wouldn't be able to grasp that, her bullying should NOT be allowed to continue. It's obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    - YourFavoriteUser because, well I forgot what I was going to put here but I was definitely going to shout him out for something.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WizardTrubbish View Post
    This is spot on. In my opinion, it's the parents, not the video game companies, who are at fault. Seriously, what kind of parent buy their elementary kids games intended for ages 18 and up?
    Well, when you look at how desensitized to violence in entertainment our society (seems like every other movie coming out now is some grotesque horror film) is these days, I don't think its that surprising that many parents don't see something wrong with it

    "What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dark Realm
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WizardTrubbish View Post
    This is spot on. In my opinion, it's the parents, not the video game companies, who are at fault. Seriously, what kind of parent buy their elementary kids games intended for ages 18 and up?
    The majority of parents in today's United States of America. I don't want to get that off-topic here, so I'll give you a quick summary of what happened.

    After the 1950's, American society went downhill. The adults raising the children of that time were too occupied with substance abuse, therefore triggering the cycle that slowly bred parents that became lazier with each passing decade.

    It was never the responsibility of the schools (and other education sources outside of home) to teach moral values, how to behave, politics, and ethical ideology. That relies on the adults at home, and the trend that created parents who overlooked this, worsened over the years.

    So basically, these days, they stopped caring. The parents of little kids these days don't give a damn about what their kids watch, learn, do, where they go, what games they play, what internet sites they visit, etc...

    Of course they're going to exhibit absurd behavior! Besides, schools are only required to teach basic knowledge and skills that are needed for occupations in the future, not to train the students how to be good people when they're older.

    And that's why the kids these days are so messed up, their parents don't care about them. THAT'S why they're able to get these games, no rules, no household standards, no enforcement of any sort. Overall, if a kid has an irresponsible mom and dad, it shouldn't be a shocker that he gets his hands on a game that can give adults nightmares.

    Basically, if you get a good look at today's parents, you find that almost all of them will buy their elementary kids games meant for ages 18 and up.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    :P

    Knowing what I usually play (fantasy based games, RPGs, platformers, Nintendo exclusives), I doubt it will affect me that much. Either way though, I'm all for it. Going into the game store, the clerks know the age rating and get the young ones to get their parents who allow them to buy it, it doesn't feel right. The stores are doing their best but the best way to fix this is at the source. Still, I'm certain a lot of fans will be infuriated at the news if a bill that increases the age restrictions for violent video games.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    A very large portion of the controversy that video game violence has gathered recently is down to finger-pointing and looking for an underlying meaning behind a violent situation that has occured. Being English, I am not familiar with gun violence statistics in the US and the relationship between that and shootings, but recently a story appeared here where a teenager hanged himself after an argument with his mother, and she was quick to point the finger at video game violence from Call of Duty being the influence. I find this almost impossible to understand, as the violence seen in Call of Duty comes in the form of shooting and stabbing, so it would make no sense for him to hang himself.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Lots of people are disagreeing because they play video games, but I defend it because it's true that video games make most people aggressive, when I see people playing War Games (especially like CoD, etc.) they become very aggressive and start cussing at everything and you say something to them and they start getting physical for no reason.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
    Lots of people are disagreeing because they play video games, but I defend it because it's true that video games make most people aggressive, when I see people playing War Games (especially like CoD, etc.) they become very aggressive and start cussing at everything and you say something to them and they start getting physical for no reason.
    There are also a lot of people who play war games and do not get aggressive from them (I think you intended to use the word many, rather than most, because that would make the statement true). I have actually not met a single person irl that got aggressive from playing such games. Maybe that's a cultural difference, as I don't live in USA. If that is the case, however, the culture is at fault rather than the games.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom & Ireland
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There are also a lot of people who play war games and do not get aggressive from them (I think you intended to use the word many, rather than most, because that would make the statement true). I have actually not met a single person irl that got aggressive from playing such games. Maybe that's a cultural difference, as I don't live in USA. If that is the case, however, the culture is at fault rather than the games.
    If the culture is at fault (which it clearly isn't in this situation, but for argument's sake), then by standard, the culture is not what needs to be changed. It is not culture's fault that animals are farmed and killed for food. It is not culture's fault that gay people cannot marry. It is not culture's fault x&y = z. But I digress.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in the souther. U.S.
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    The purpose of the United States government attempting to impose laws on video games is for the purpose of making money and gaining leverage for gun control.



    How they make money on this is either by forcing extra taxes on the sales of M-rated games, or as suggested in the OP, the addition of fines.

    Ultimately, it's all about money and power. And as for the media's role in this, it's to aid the government in seizing more power.
    All very very true.



    The government has more important things to focus on, and it's not their place to regulate forms of entertainment. They have plenty of power as it is.
    Except all of this falls under their duties. Further, have you seen their legislation proposed this year, this would actually be one of the better ones to debate.

    It's the right of the retailer to decide this, not the government's. I would say to them that they should deny selling kids adulterated games, but it's ultimately the parent's responsibility for this, not the government.
    Except the government can tell the retailer what the can and cannot sell. While I do agree it is the responsibility of the parent and retailer, the government can put restrictions on them, which is the current legislation.


    The stores can do whatever they want. I'd suggest that they ask for ID's, but the government has no right to force them to.
    Same as above.

    Speaking of the government, the constitution means absolutely nothing to them now, and is no longer a factor in how this country is run in this day and age.
    I cannot completely agree with this We still abide by the constitution, but it is freely left open to interpretation. That is how bland the document is. It was originally meant just to get us on our feet with a feww basic laws. Yet, a lot of it is being thrown out of proportion. One example would be how powerful the Supreme court is currently. Yet, Techinally, they are still within their boundaries. >.>


    Just a few;

    1. It shouldn't be a surprise that the United States government is attempting to force its way into regulating video games. This is a common practice in fascist countries.
    Facist and communist =p. Anyways, typically a government tries to regulate anything in its jurisdiction.

    2. Things like this have happened before video games have existed. Corrupt governments always want to find a way to gain more money and power.
    True, but we really aren't corrupt. It could be way worse.

    In this case, they and their lackeys in the media are trying to take advantage of the atrociously ignorant and impressionable public's stupidity to convince them that video games somehow turn humans into law-breaking psychopaths.
    Because they can influence behavior. I am not saying they are the sole cause of behavior, because that brings up a nature vs nuture argument and so on. However, it does influnence behaviour along with other things. That is why we have regulations on tv shows, movies, etc.

    3. Don't expect that more things like this won't happen, because this gold-digging government will try to regulate video games and everything else that can be considered to effect us until they have enough cash to buy their own continents.
    How do you think we bought much of the states in the U.S. It certaintly wasn't through saving. Otherwise, we would only have about 23 states.

    Yep, it's irritating, but that's the United States government today. Look at the politicians, and you'll see men and women that are more desperate for money than those in poverty (though they do their best not to show it).
    Not for the money as much as for the job. Too much government bashing. The type of fighting they do is publicized, but everyone typically does these same fights on the local level. (Excec jobs, or just jobs in general.)

    Sad, annoying, but true. But I'm sure we can all agree that the government regulating video games and placing unfair bans is unacceptable.
    Bans and regulations are two separate things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Video games are considered protected speech. Technically, they can't ban them.
    Well, there are loopholes around protected speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    While questions 1-3 should be done, and 2 and 3 are being done, it still doesn't solve the problem of irresponsible parents. I worked at gamestop for a while, and I lost count of the number of times a parent brought their elementary kid in and bought them Call of Duty or some other M rated game. The kids would often walk out excitedly talking about how they were going to get the most kills or something.

    It isn't the games themselves that are the real issue, its the parents who allow their underage children to play them
    Thank you. Some parents are just super irresponsible. I know for me, I didn't own a video game until I was twelve. I am not saying parents should be that strict, but dang, get some backbone and watch what your kids are doing.


    Quote Originally Posted by darkjigglypuff View Post
    The First Amendment guarantees that the American government does NOT have the right to ban or censor ANYTHING because of its content.
    Unless it is to the harm and determent of others. This is the reason a person cannot go into the movie theater and yell fire. So on and so forth.

    Quote Originally Posted by EonDragonFTW View Post
    If video games make me violent?
    .....
    Then why didn't monopoly make me a millionaire?
    Because it influences the way the mind works. A violent video game can "supposdly" make you more detached emotionally, thus giving a higher chance to violent behaviour.

    Monopoly give you an abstract way of think, which can highten your intelligence, thus giving you a higher chance to be a millionaire.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelrush View Post
    The majority of parents in today's United States of America. I don't want to get that off-topic here, so I'll give you a quick summary of what happened.

    After the 1950's, American society went downhill. The adults raising the children of that time were too occupied with substance abuse, therefore triggering the cycle that slowly bred parents that became lazier with each passing decade.

    It was never the responsibility of the schools (and other education sources outside of home) to teach moral values, how to behave, politics, and ethical ideology. That relies on the adults at home, and the trend that created parents who overlooked this, worsened over the years.

    So basically, these days, they stopped caring. The parents of little kids these days don't give a damn about what their kids watch, learn, do, where they go, what games they play, what internet sites they visit, etc...

    Of course they're going to exhibit absurd behavior! Besides, schools are only required to teach basic knowledge and skills that are needed for occupations in the future, not to train the students how to be good people when they're older.

    And that's why the kids these days are so messed up, their parents don't care about them. THAT'S why they're able to get these games, no rules, no household standards, no enforcement of any sort. Overall, if a kid has an irresponsible mom and dad, it shouldn't be a shocker that he gets his hands on a game that can give adults nightmares.

    Basically, if you get a good look at today's parents, you find that almost all of them will buy their elementary kids games meant for ages 18 and up.
    This. This is so true. It isn't all parents in the United States, but the majority are just like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    A very large portion of the controversy that video game violence has gathered recently is down to finger-pointing and looking for an underlying meaning behind a violent situation that has occured. Being English, I am not familiar with gun violence statistics in the US and the relationship between that and shootings, but recently a story appeared here where a teenager hanged himself after an argument with his mother, and she was quick to point the finger at video game violence from Call of Duty being the influence. I find this almost impossible to understand, as the violence seen in Call of Duty comes in the form of shooting and stabbing, so it would make no sense for him to hang himself.
    Yes, some of it can be finger pointing, but there are cases in which you see its effect. Anyone remember the kid who shot his mother because she took away his Halo game?

    Ok I'm out.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    YFU should be banned
    Posts
    1,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkjigglypuff View Post
    The First Amendment guarantees that the American government does NOT have the right to ban or censor ANYTHING because of its content.
    So deth threats are protected by the First amendment? And libel? And copyright violations? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMaaan View Post
    Thanks, there was no reason to be like that, I could just find your quotes where you support bullying. I've made clear countless times that my parents spoke with her parents, it didn't work, i spoke with her, it didnt work, what the hank do you want me to do? call the cops, lol? slapping her was the only option, only an idiot wouldn't be able to grasp that, her bullying should NOT be allowed to continue. It's obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    - YourFavoriteUser because, well I forgot what I was going to put here but I was definitely going to shout him out for something.


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimer View Post
    Lots of people are disagreeing because they play video games, but I defend it because it's true that video games make most people aggressive, when I see people playing War Games (especially like CoD, etc.) they become very aggressive and start cussing at everything and you say something to them and they start getting physical for no reason.
    You ever seen someone watch sports when their team isnt doing so well?
    just because you might have increased aggressiveness while playing, doesnt mean its making you a more aggressive person.

    and about this stupid video game debate, the big thing is...do i care whether or not games are bad? No i dont, theyre the most fun form of entertainment there is and i would go to great lengths to get them if i had to. The sissy government wont do anything drastic, im sure they dont want another prohibition on their hands....
    White: Liquid(Serperior), Steve(Wargle), Kitsune(Zoroark), Bowser(Carracosta), Benisuzume(Volcarona), Yin(Zekrom)
    FC: 2623 2056 1823-Tatyana

    Black: Solidus(Samurott), Cell(Reuniclus), Tator(Krookidile), Archie(Archeops), Buckshot(Sawsbuck), Yang(Resiram)
    FC: 1420 6686 1330-Mike

    White2: Longpig(Emboar), Lucky(Sh Scolipede), Jimmy(Vanilluxe), Tetsujin(Golurk), Peanut(Jellicent), Rose(Ferrothorn)
    FC: 2237 5012 1360-Kain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •