Thread: [Pokemon HeartGold] I Need Help With My Team (Pre Elite-Four)

Talking [Pokemon HeartGold] I Need Help With My Team (Pre Elite-Four)

I have just captured Ho-Oh and i need help building my team to take on the elite four. My current team is:

HO-OH: Lv 45
    Fly
    Sunny Day
    Fire Blast
    Sacred Fire

HYPNO: Lv 37
    Psybeam
    Hypnosis
    Meditate
    Confusion

TYPHLOSION: Lv 48
    Lava Plume
    Blast Burn
    Flame Wheel
    Flamethrower

MACHAMP: Lv 34
    Low Kick
    Submisson
    Focus Blast
    Vital Throw

LAPRAS: Lv 39
    Blizzard
    Ice beam
    Water Pulse
    Surf

I know that its a mess but I'm willing to train up new Pokemon from scratch if necessary, I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Oh man. I'm at work and dont have time to review the whole thing. but let me give you some pointers.

First, you dont want multiple attacks of the same type on one pokemon (usually) so any poke that you have more than 1 attack of the same type, change one of them. which one you change depends on whether it's a physical or special attacker. whichever stat is higher, use that attack, and swap the other one, preferably for an attack of a different type for more coverage.

Second, you probably dont need both ho-oh and Typhlosion, so i would get rid of one of them. whichever you choose is up to you. I would suggest finding a bug type or a dark type to help with the psychic pokemon the first E4 has. Then i would suggest maybe a steel or dragon type, as they have quite a few resistances and can be a useful swap in if you find yourself in a bind. I'll help with actual moves later, but remember, you want type coverage. preferably attacks that cover your pokemon's weaknesses. like a flying type having steel wing, which is covers rock and ice. Or a fire type having a grass attack for water and ground types.

Google serebii pokemon of the week, for each poke. Those are movesets that are made for competitive battling, but you can also tweak them for in game play. If no one else has given you move sets by tonight, ill help.

Thank You, I have actually now defeated the elite four for the first time and now I'm training to challenge Red. I would still really appreciate your help with move-sets and i still need a 6th Pokemon, do you know of any good dark/flying pokemon?

My current team is:

AMPHAROS: Lv 55
    Signal Beam
    Flash
    Thunderbolt
    Discharge

NIDOKING: Lv 50
    Earth Power
    Earthquake
    Poison Jab
    Double Kick

TYPHLOSION: Lv 59
    Eruption
    Blast Burn
    Focus Blast
    Flamethrower

LAPRAS: Lv 52
    Blizzard
    Ice Beam
    Hydro Pump
    Surf

EXEGGUTOR: Lv 48
    SolarBeam
    Sunny Day
    Sleep Powder
    Psychic

well for one, you still have to beat all the kanto gym leaders, and then the elite 4 again, before you can even go to mt.silver to challenge red, so you've stilll got a ways to go. And if you want to go dark/flying, honchkrow is a good option. good attack, decent speed and good hps. decent movepool. I would go something like this

Honchkrow@scope lens
    252 atk, then either 252 spd w/jolly or adamant and balance defenses with EVs
    -Night Slash
    -Steel Wing
    -Drill Peck/Brave Bird
    -Roost/Superpower/HeatWave/Mirror Move/whatever you want

I have beaten all of the kanto leaders. They were surprisingly easy, I thought they would be more of a challenge but I breezed through them in a hour or two. I will start training up a honchkrow now, I wish I could find a darn lucky egg but they seem impossible to find! Thank you for your help

no problem. also be sure to try and change your movesets on pokemon with multiple moves of the same type, like typhlosion and lapras, use TMs, or heart scales, or rebreed, but you really dont want eruption, blast burn, and flamethrower on typhlosion.

I would stick with eruption and flamethrower, then replace blast burn with a new attack.

On lapras i would swap blizzard and hydro pump for new attacks as well. Maybe thunder and rain dance?

Replace earth power on nidoking with Megahorn and discharge OR thunderbolt on ampharos with Power Gem. I can't recommend moves because i dont know what TMs you have access to or heart scales. But if you can fill me in, I can help.
    Last edited by CMHennigan; 29th January 2013 at 5:31 PM.