Thread: Making the GameCube look great

Default Making the GameCube look great

I'm normally not too into graphics and game quality, but the GameCube game on my, what I think is, a HD TV is terrible. I've tried researching this a bit but it's confusing. I moved the R/Y/W cables to a different spot on the TV, and that made it better quality, but now there's black bars- very big black bars, even though my TV is quite small, around the game.

Is this as good as the quality is going to get? & Will playing on a wii make the black bars go away and keep the original quality?

Also, it says the signal is 480i not 480p.
    Last edited by LimeSoda; 26th January 2013 at 3:26 AM.

I think all gamecube games are made for 640x480 pixels, there are two options to display this resolution on a bigger screen, stretch this resolution to fit the screen or display it on its original resolution (the one you described with the black bars). After a search on the internet these are the available resolutions which are possible:

640×240 interlaced (240i) or progressive scan (240p) - 60 Hz ==> For older tv sets (before 1995 I think)
    640×480 interlaced (480i) or progressive scan (480p) - 60 Hz ==> All PAL tv sets until they were replaced by flatscreens
    640×576 interlaced (576i) - 50 Hz ==> All NTSC sets until they were replaced by flatscreens

And now to sum up the difference between i (interlaced) and p (progressive):

With progressive scan, an image is captured, transmitted, and displayed in a path similar to text on a page: line by line, from top to bottom. The interlaced scan pattern in a CRT display also completes such a scan, but only for every second line. This is carried out from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of a CRT display. This process is repeated again, only this time starting at the second row, in order to fill in those particular gaps left behind while performing the first progressive scan on alternate rows only.

All in all there's no big difference for the end used but to give you an idea of you can see what interlaced and progressive differentiate in here is an example:
    Click me!

Thank you. I just don't understand how some people can get such good quality on YouTube- As I'm under the impression they're not using an emulator.

Maybe they do use an emulator, however even with that you can't get higher resolutions then the ones I already mentioned ;-)

You've got NSTC and PAL Formats Mixed up.. But yes, the Issue remains, you can't get a higher Resolution that what you're getting. (Unless you resort to Emulation which doesn't follow the "rules" that the Wii and GameCube follow.)

However, you can clear up the "signal" and you can get a better image.

Ok, On your Setup, your entire Video signal is send down the "yellow cable", The other two are Left and right Audio.

Many but not all HDTVs can use a Component Cables, which is uses 5 plugs instead of three, Three for Video and two for Audio. I think some models of Gamecubes may not have the correct socket for as you need the Digital AV out. If you live in Europe, You can buy a SCART Lead, not a "3 pin to SCART Adaptor", which can offers the exact same quality as Component Cables, but is a little more easier to find as they were more common over fact SCART is found on most European TV during the Gamecube to today. Well, that doesn't apply to people living in Wisconsin.

I own both a GameCube and a Wii. There is not difference if you are using the same type of Cables. I've had them both plugged in to the same HDTV. But there is a noticeable difference in quality when using the Component Cables over the "3 Pin" options, in the same games. Getting a Wii will mean you can easily find the Component cable, and also SCART Cables in stores. The games I did an actual comparison are Pokémon XD (GC) and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a new World (Wii). Both had visible improvement, mainly due to the lack of Artefacts.

Finally, Some HDTVs can "clear up" the image slightly. However, this can make games unplayable due to Lag. As every image the Console sends is delayed by a certain amount while the TV makes the image "pretty." This can be noticed on some games as your Characters may seem sluggish in response to what you press. Think of it as Driving a Car but you can only see were you where 5 minutes ago, chances are you've crashed before you realise there was a wall there.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

Thanks a lot. While I already beat the games and don't think I'll be coming back to them anytime soon, if I do ever I will be sure to reference this info.