Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 176

Thread: Is evolution necessary?

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,196

    Default

    Why some pokemon doesn't evolve? Because they're marketable and merchandise plays a big part on pokemon merchandise. Now it's worse because Ash is the only star and because the writers are more sensible to keep as much marketable pokemon as possible. And because 90% of marketable pokemon are unevolved pokemon (or pokemon born to be in sales, see you Emolga) some pokemon remain unevolved.

    Because they're too sensible, they are keeping the plushies' team intact with the only exception of Pignite and because the league was near (if the league wasn't near, I completely saw more time of Ash's Tepig).

    and @dman_dustin, you're wrong that the decision of making some pokemon unevovled are BS. That was the inside reason of this, but they're doing this to explain fans like you that they aren't evolving some pokemon because they'll find very important to promotion.

    -Pikachu is the FACE of the franchise. Enter something with pokemon and possibly the first thing that you'll see is a Pikachu!!!! Sorry, but no. Also, Raichu isn't going to be a Pokemon mascot (I want that Raichu returns to being in sets to troll people thinking that Ash's Piakchu are evolving)

    -Bulbasaur was a popular pokemon that now it's getting some merchandise via PC and what not. That means popular.

    -Piplup. This guy is so marketbale. He is possibly selling more than 2 times the amount o merchandise than Axew "in the second part of 2012!!!). Yes, in Best Wishes series. That's a lot for a promotion for a pokemon that eblongs to a older main character.

    I think that when a characters leaves they planned to be permanently and not thinks of a character are returning. I only see two main reasons to return a character in the pokemon series:
    -That the character ithat replaced him was unpopular to begin and the decision of leaving was bad writing at the finest (Brock's situation in OI.)
    -THat his main pokemon are selling more merchandise than the main pokemon of the new character in the series where only the latter are the main character: Here is the catch: Piplup is more popular than Axew now. (Note: Remember that BW1 was a special case in marketing, Axew was more popular here but for obvious reasons)

    Marketing of Piplup is the sole reason that I see a older character returning to the show full time. I alkso think that Dawn was way more popular and Iris (I think that Iris wasn't very popular until the game counterpart was revealed to be Champion: the CHampion status has helped in Iris' popularity, trust me).

    And I completely see for marketing reason that the main stars of the main cast of Gen VI are Pikachu, Piplup and Eevee.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm


    Serebii, Bulbagarden

    Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

    I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.


  2. #27

    Default

    ^ Further proof to me that the Pokémon animé is like the Japanese He-Man and Transformers cartoons - it's a 30 minute toy advert disguised as "entertainment".
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    In Sinnoh whenever a pokemon of Ash's evolved, it got it's butt kicked and didn't win it's first non TR conflict fight, Staravia going to Staraptor being the only exception and possibly Gliscor since it managed a draw against Barry's Roserade, but it still didn't win.

    This generation however it does seem like that by evolving the pokemon do back it up and kick butt in thier first fights after evolving so i'll give you that.
    Please note that I was also counting Team Rocket battles as well, and if I remember correctly, the only Pokemon who did evolve in Sinnoh were Turtwig, Chimchar, Starly, and Gligar. I'll admit that Turtwig did defy the norm when he evolved into Grotle, but it's hard to label him since he did conform to the evolve/new move/pwn when he went from Grotle to Torterra in that episode in Sunyshore City. Chimchar almost conformed to the formula during the 6 vs. 6 battle with Ash vs. Paul, but they managed to barely avoid it by having him lose quickly after he evolved and learned Mach Punch. The formula was also fulfilled somewhat when he went from Monferno to Infernape (Team Rocket conflicts count as well in these calculations), but again, he didn't get any new moves. Gligar evolved during a Team Rocket conflict as well (I only remember because Gary was in the episode, too), but one thing that was different in that scenario was that no new moves were pulled out of nowhere since the episode was focused more on move mastery anyway.

    I guess one of the more enjoyable things about Hoenn and Sinnoh is that when Team Rocket battles are taken out of the equation, Ash never won his Gym Battles and rival battles by having his Pokemon pull new moves and/or evolutions out of their arses. We knew what to expect, and on the rare occasions where it did happen (that Sceptile vs. Claydol battle in the Battle Frontier), it was foreshadowed and it's full moveset wasn't revealed (I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong).

    Now that we've gone into Unova, however, the victories have been more likely to be unjustified. Whenever a Pokemon does learn a new move, it either happens during a gym battle or off-screen (which I believe is the equivalent of pulling new moves out of nowhere), and if Trip's latest battle with Ash and the rest of the league battles are any indication, it makes everything more inconsistent and makes it more likely for fans to call bull**** on Ash's victories. I would mention how often "The Formula" was used here, but I don't feel like beating a dead horse.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Of course it's necessary, evolution makes pokemon get stronger than its unevolved forms.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

    [CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Of course it's necessary, evolution makes pokemon get stronger than its unevolved forms.
    No. Marketing killed the cat or in this case the rat. Raichu is stronger than Pikachu but for obvious reasons Pikachu wins. Cartoon logic ftw

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terror Of Master View Post
    No. Marketing killed the cat or in this case the rat. Raichu is stronger than Pikachu but for obvious reasons Pikachu wins. Cartoon logic ftw
    But that doesn't change the fact that Raichu is stronger than Pikachu (unless Light ball)
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

    [CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    But that doesn't change the fact that Raichu is stronger than Pikachu (unless Light ball)
    The first post says in the anime. We're not discussing game logic here.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    I think that evolution is the best sign to a development of a Pokemon. People might say that there are other ways to develop a Pokemon but I think evolution is the best one.
    In snow, the pure white coat covering its body obscures it from predators.
    Dewgong



  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terror Of Master View Post
    The first post says in the anime. We're not discussing game logic here.
    Doesn't ignore the fact that Raichu always beats Pikachu before the yellow mouse get's his BS revenge near the last few minutes of the episode.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Doesn't ignore the fact that Raichu always beats Pikachu before the yellow mouse get's his BS revenge near the last few minutes of the episode.
    So? Pikachu always beats said Raichu proving that evolution isn't everything.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    203

    Default

    I think is their own personal decision to choose weather evolve or not. But in my own way, evolution is a secure way to make your team better, I know that for some pokemon are so powerful without evolving and some are better. But let face it. Which region was the best result for Ash? Sinnoh right?. Now, check the pokemon that he caught in Sinnoh, most of them had evolved once( I know that he used some of his pokemon from different region to compete). I can conclude that Ash is a good trainer, but what he need is to evolve more, I'm not saying to everyone, but to some that can obviously can see that they have caliber to be better, for example Gible, Buizel, Oshawott, Totodile, Corphish etc.. I know that some pokemon had made worse when they evolve like when Turtwig evolve into Grotle, But most of the pokemon that he evolved had shown improvements. In the Unova League, Ash would have success if he uses his other pokemon. He had shown lot of luck when facing Trip and Stephan. Everything that I said is IMO.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!



    FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Newcastle(England)
    Posts
    950

    Default

    I think Oshawott and Snivy are the new Squirtle and Bulbasaur so an evolution for them would probably seem not in the writer's thinking at this point. Palpitoad, Boldore, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Bayleef and Scraggy could definitely do with an evolution to progress them as they, at least to me they are, seem stale...
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crawdauntpro View Post
    I think Oshawott and Snivy are the new Squirtle and Bulbasaur so an evolution for them would probably seem not in the writer's thinking at this point. Palpitoad, Boldore, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Bayleef and Scraggy could definitely do with an evolution to progress them as they, at least to me they are, seem stale...
    Well the could explain it somewhat... Squirtle and Bulbasaur sucked during their original time on the cast. (though Bulbasaur did get a bit better after Charizard got used less) Squirtle's still far from impressive though, at best he's borderline. Given we haven't seen Kingler's feats since Johto, I'd argue that it's a toss up between Chorpish and Buizel as Ash's strongest Water type.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  14. #39

    Default

    To me, it's not necessary.

    Reasoning: Some of my favorite Pokemon are un-evolved. Examples of that are Ash's Corphish, Dawn's Buneary, Brock's Marshtomp (instead of becoming Swampert), and Cilan's Pansage. Mainly, I like a balance of un-evolved and fully-evolved. For example, Ash having Gible and Buizel while also having Torterra, Infernape, Staraptor, and Gliscor. A better example would probably be Dawn. She had Piplup, Quilava, and Buneary while having Mamoswine, Ambipom, Pachirisu, and Togekiss.

    Currently writing: The Missing Link!
    Chapters posted: 8
    Please read and review. I'll be eternally grateful.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ariana's vocal cords
    Posts
    44,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crawdauntpro View Post
    I think Oshawott and Snivy are the new Squirtle and Bulbasaur so an evolution for them would probably seem not in the writer's thinking at this point. Palpitoad, Boldore, Totodile, Corphish, Buizel, Bayleef and Scraggy could definitely do with an evolution to progress them as they, at least to me they are, seem stale...
    While I would like to see some of those Pokemon develop, I'm against the writers evolving them just because they want to create the illusion of development. BW in particular has been been subjected to this illusion repeatedly; there's always so much hype when a Pokemon evolves, yet it's not true development. Usually a Pokemon will evolve merely to give Ash a convenient win, and in the case of the reserve Pokemon, they usually have to wait a while before getting another big role (Krookodile being the exception). I want real development for Ash's Pokemon, not more lazy writing.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    145

    Default

    In the end I say evolution isn't everything derp

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terror Of Master View Post
    The first post says in the anime. We're not discussing game logic here.
    Anime-logic, game-logic or whatever-logic is the same in terms of evolution, pokemon change in order to improve their stats and become stronger.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

    [CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    Anime-logic, game-logic or whatever-logic is the same in terms of evolution, pokemon change in order to improve their stats and become stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    stats
    Precise numerical stats do not exist in the anime, only the games. Logic that applies to the games because of stats or any other pure game mechanic should not be applied to the anime. Or else we're all going to have to start arguing about what level Ash's Pikachu is again. :P


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Void
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    start arguing about what level Ash's Pikachu is again. :P
    ok

    PIKACHU'S LEVEL IS OVER 9000 LOL I MADE A FUNNY MEME XD

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    ok

    PIKACHU'S LEVEL IS OVER 9000 LOL I MADE A FUNNY MEME XD
    No

    wait

    Pikachu's level is so high that it hit the internal limit, rolled over, and was reduced modulo 255.

    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Well I have a lv 76 Totodile (note I have entire shrine of Totodile toys coins cards and gear) that I used to beat the elite four so no evolution not necessary even in the games tho it would of helped a lot as I got my but whooped many times.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,336

    Default

    In pokemon red a pokemon can go from level 255 to 1 if it gains like 1 exp point. So that means.

    END OF SINNOH PIKACHU WAS LEVEL 255.

    then it gained exp from KOing TR in the last episode sending it right back down to level 1.

    But unfrotunately the anime does not value evolution at all. paul seemed to be the only one immune from friendship and cute induced plot armor.
    Last edited by LizardonX; 28th January 2013 at 6:14 AM.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Exploring the world
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Even then, Paul was not necessarily immune since he only sent a couple of his Pokémon that steamrolled Ash's team in their first full battle against him in the second. And the only replacement Pokémon that was any good was Drapion, though Drapion was definitely good, worthy of being on Paul's A team.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mew2 View Post
    Even then, Paul was not necessarily immune since he only sent a couple of his Pokémon that steamrolled Ash's team in their first full battle against him in the second. And the only replacement Pokémon that was any good was Drapion, though Drapion was definitely good, worthy of being on Paul's A team.
    Basically good= beating ash's pokemon

    Since he would have lost either way you would have judt complained they nerfed his good team.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the Area of Johto
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Honestly, I'm neutral with this. But some of Ash's unevolved Pokemon proved to be very strong, like Bulbasaur. He refused to evolve, but with his Solarbeam Attack, he could be very strong. Even Gible with his mastered Draco Meteor and Buizel. They are major powerhouses, even Squirtle. But really, some of his Pokemon should really evolve, like Oshawott and Snivy. Based on the battles I saw, they should evolve, even Snivy since she has strong attacks.


    DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

    Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •