View Poll Results: Would you like to see anime becoming more dark?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

17 34.00%
  • No.

6 12.00%
  • It depends on how dark it would be.

21 42.00%
  • I don't care.

6 12.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon anime's lack of darkness

I wouldn't necessarily want it to be "darker", just maybe a little more serious and focusing more on character development than just battles and helping random strangers. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the anime!
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I would say it depends on how dark. It should be more serious though and cut the kiddish stuff and mature the characters instead of regressing them.

I really don't understand the correlation between "dark" and "good show" a lot of you are arguing. It's true that a lot of animes have some level of violence in them, and Pokemon is no exception (if it was, PETA wouldn't be breathing down it's troat ). I don't believe an excess of violence will pull Pokemon out of its rut that many on this board believe it is in. I think the only way that can be fixed is with better-written episodes, character development, and the show getting away from its "usual routines". We can also have a better villain without one drop of actual blood being spilled - I think what happened to Hunter J and Cyrus are pretty good examples of this. I also think that when it comes to "dark" themes, many of you are forgetting the themes of abuse we've seen towards Pokemon, with not just Chimchar, but also with what happened to that sewer Bulbasaur (supposedly), Charmander, and Tepig. We also got themes of poaching, like when Arbok and Weezing left, as well as what happened to Larvitar, superstition with many of the Ghost Pokemon and Absol, and war from the Lucario movie.

There are so many "dark" themes sprinkled about the series, that I think it suffices. You don't need blood and gore to make a good show. especially a "kids" show. Even though the goal is to sell video games and toys, you can still write a good, ongoing story about them without stooping down to getting darker than your target audience would be comfortable with (or SHOULD BE getting comfortable with).
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Quote Originally Posted by epicjirachifan View Post
    I want the anime dark like the manga raaaaggggghhhhh!!!!.! I think k that if the writers put the darkness in it woukdent hurt anyone would it? After all Pokémon was ORIGINALLY MADE FOR TEENAGERS!!!
    I thought it was made so kids could experience bug-collecting:

TIME: Did you get the idea for Pokémon from these insects?
    Tajiri: Yes. Places to catch insects are rare because of urbanization. Kids play inside their homes now, and a lot had forgotten about catching insects. So had I. When I was making games, something clicked and I decided to make a game with that concept. Everything I did as a kid is kind of rolled into one--that's what Pokémon is. Playing video games, watching TV, Ultraman with his capsule monsters--they all became ingredients for the game.
    Source:http://pokedream.com/pokemon/infocenter/tajiri.php

I really don't understand the correlation between "dark" and "good show" a lot of you are arguing. It's true that a lot of animes have some level of violence in them, and Pokemon is no exception (if it was, PETA wouldn't be breathing down it's troat ). I don't believe an excess of violence will pull Pokemon out of its rut that many on this board believe it is in. I think the only way that can be fixed is with better-written episodes, character development, and the show getting away from its "usual routines". We can also have a better villain without one drop of actual blood being spilled - I think what happened to Hunter J and Cyrus are pretty good examples of this. I also think that when it comes to "dark" themes, many of you are forgetting the themes of abuse we've seen towards Pokemon, with not just Chimchar, but also with what happened to that sewer Bulbasaur (supposedly), Charmander, and Tepig. We also got themes of poaching, like when Arbok and Weezing left, as well as what happened to Larvitar, superstition with many of the Ghost Pokemon and Absol, and war from the Lucario movie.

There are so many "dark" themes sprinkled about the series, that I think it suffices. You don't need blood and gore to make a good show. especially a "kids" show. Even though the goal is to sell video games and toys, you can still write a good, ongoing story about them without stooping down to getting darker than your target audience would be comfortable with (or SHOULD BE getting comfortable with).
    This I can agree with.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12