Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it hard to create fire types?

Default Is it hard to create fire types?

We had few fire types introduced in two generations in a row (Gen III and Gen IV). We had some in Generation V, but they aren't still many if compared with other types introduced in the same generation (water, grass, bug, ground, rock and steel, for example). Furthermore, don't say that we also have few ghost or dragon types, they aren't like fire type. Fire is part of the grass/fire/water triangle, and the ammount of fire type Pokemons is much lower than grass and water.

I really don't know if GF has some trouble on creating fire type Pokemons, the fact is that we have few of them. Plus, Magmortar is the only fire type with a thee-stage evolutionary line that isn't a starter. This reflects how is hard to create a complete line of fire type Pokemons.

In Generation III, besides Torchic's line they introduced three fire types (Numel, Camerupt and Torkoal).

In Generation IV, besides Chimchar's line they introduced only Magmortar (if you don't consider Heatran, because it is a legendary, and consequently hard to catch).

Some things I have noted that Nintendo probably had done to fix the lack of fire types:

* To fix the rarity of fire types in Hoenn, they made Vulpix and Slugma available in the wild.

* To solve the "unavailability" of fire types in Sinnoh, Eevee is obtained as gift from Bebe, so players could evolve it into Flareon.

Well, post your opinion if you also think that GF has some "trouble" on creating fire types and why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    We had few fire types introduced in two generations in a row (Gen III and Gen IV). We had some in Generation V, but they aren't still many if compared with other types introduced in the same generation (water, grass, bug, ground, rock and steel, for example). Furthermore, don't say that we also have few ghost or dragon types, they aren't like fire type. Fire is part of the grass/fire/water triangle, and the ammount of fire type Pokemons is much lower than grass and water.

I really don't know if GF has some trouble on creating fire type Pokemons, the fact is that we have few of them. Plus, Magmortar is the only fire type with a thee-stage evolutionary line that isn't a starter. This reflects how is hard to create a complete line of fire type Pokemons.
    Litwick says hi.

It actually the opposite, since Game Freak create 3 times the pokémon that makes it in the game, which means that some pokémon get cut and Game Freak figured that Fire pokémon are the easiest to cut.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Litwick says hi.

It actually the opposite, since Game Freak create 3 times the pokémon that makes it in the game, which means that some pokémon get cut and Game Freak figured that Fire pokémon are the easiest to cut.
    Oh, yes! Litwick, I forgot about him! Anyways, it's still few, don't you think?

We had few on III and IV, and now a bunch in Gen V!

Fire-types are the ninth most common types. It's by no means abundant, but it's nowhere near as few as Ghost-types.

Sinnoh is a fairly cold region, which explains the lack of Fire-types. The lack was changed in Platinum by introducing the Houndour line and Magby line, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Game Freak create 3 times the pokémon that makes it in the game
    link plz ty

Water is more abundant than fire to represent how common it is on Earth, It's why grass and rock are very common too. Psychic is appx. the 5th most prevalent type which is I believe it can fit many concepts and ideas, fire is very limited i mean 3 of the starters have their tails on fire and other than volcanoes where does fire exist naturally? You can't just make magmar clones.
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

I can only say, Fire type starters have gotten more and more complex over time with the exception of Fennekin, We've yet to see its evolutions...

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Sinnoh is a fairly cold region, which explains the lack of Fire-types. The lack was changed in Platinum by introducing the Houndour line and Magby line, anyway.
    Yes, Sinnoh is somewhat cold, but you cannot relate that to the fact they introduced few fire types.

I still think that they simply ran out of ideas in 4th generation to create fire types (and in Gen III too).
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 29th January 2013 at 2:18 AM.

I still think that they simply ran out of ideas in 4th generation to create fire types (and in Gen III too).
    Don't be silly. They didn't run out of idea for any type.

All you really have to do to make a fire type is draw an animal and make it breath fire. Pokemon doesn't do that as much, but the artist behind the pokemon only got that job because they had tons of incentive ideas, I'll bet.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    Water is more abundant than fire to represent how common it is on Earth, It's why grass and rock are very common too. Psychic is appx. the 5th most prevalent type which is I believe it can fit many concepts and ideas, fire is very limited i mean 3 of the starters have their tails on fire and other than volcanoes where does fire exist naturally? You can't just make magmar clones.
    Doesn't Magmar have a fire tail like Charmeleon?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Yes, Sinnoh is somewhat cold, but you cannot relate that to the fact they introduced few fire types.
    Fire-types live in warm places, not cold ones. Cold regions logically won't have as many Fire-types as warmer ones. Pokemon fit their environment; you won't find, say, Horseas in Twist Mountain.

Why do you think Hoenn had so many Fire-types?

Professional game developers working on a multimillion dollar franchise don't "run out of ideas."

'So many'? You mean Slugma, Torkoal, Numel line? I can't think of any others that aren't also out of place (Houndour in safari)...

Sinnoh also had Ponyta. That's what I remember best; if you didn't pick Chimchar, you pretty much needed Ponyta if you wanted a fire-type during a regular run.

There are definitely less fire-types, and they're getting less viable all the time with Stealth Rocks competitively and lots of water/caves ingame. But I wouldn't say they're having any trouble; just that they put less fire types in the final game. Maybe they make 20-30 of them in production, but only 5-6 get in any one time.

Have we ever had as many new fire-types at once as we did in gen I? Magmar, Vulpix line, Growlithe line, Flareon, Ponyta line, and Moltres if you count it. Maybe they're just toning down on the less realistic things? Though that wouldn't explain all the dragons...
    "That poison's only strong enough to kill a dead dog"

A boy and his frog, venturing across the lands in search of sister and glory.

Quote Originally Posted by IJuggler View Post
    Have we ever had as many new fire-types at once as we did in gen I? Magmar, Vulpix line, Growlithe line, Flareon, Ponyta line, and Moltres if you count it. Maybe they're just toning down on the less realistic things? Though that wouldn't explain all the dragons...
    Gen 5 has the most fire types. It introduced many of them. Heatmor, the larvesta line, the litwick line, the Darumaka line, Reshiram, Victini, the Panasear line, and of course the Tepig line ( Heat Rototm, if you want to count that ).
    So, no they are not running out of ideas. It's just a region thing. Gen 2,3,4 had pokemon more based on animals ( in general ). Fire is not common in the animal world, so they would have thought it inappropriate to put many fire starters. Gen 1 and 5 had pokes based on reality. And, so, there are more fire types here.

It's an interesting concept, especially considering how much I like fire. Maybe they can come up with lots of designs, but don't think they're good enough to make the final cut? Come to think of it, Fire pokemon would be kind of hard to create since it's so limited as to what you can do.
    I'll make you wet.

6th Gen Starter of Choice- Chespin

Hoenn's my favorite. So many memories...

Its not hard for GF to create fire type pokemon. In fact, based on reality, they can create pokemon based on anything relates to a certain type. Like Garbage, snowflake, etc.
    Or just some creature or common animal and just put some element attribute on it: fire monkey, fire horse, etc.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

@PopPrincess_Lyra : Nice image. That shows that we do have quite a number of fire types.
    And there are supposed to be less pokes for Ghost type, they are Ghosts you know, there are not many of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    Doesn't Magmar have a fire tail like Charmeleon?
    yes but I'm referring to magmar being a volcano pokemon
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Don't be silly. They didn't run out of idea for any type.

All you really have to do to make a fire type is draw an animal and make it breath fire. Pokemon doesn't do that as much, but the artist behind the pokemon only got that job because they had tons of incentive ideas, I'll bet.
    I am not being silly dude, I just think that they introduced a few ammount of fire types in Gen III and Gen IV, perhaps because they run out of ideas. The introduction of a bunch of fire types in Gen V is probably to make up for the lack of the two previous generations and to avoid people to complain about about few fire types being introduced on a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Fire-types live in warm places, not cold ones. Cold regions logically won't have as many Fire-types as warmer ones. Pokemon fit their environment; you won't find, say, Horseas in Twist Mountain.

Why do you think Hoenn had so many Fire-types?
    Excitable Boy, it is not about a region having many or few fire types, but the introduction of new fire types. Hoenn and Sinnoh "borrowed" fire types from other region, this is a prove that they lacked that fire type.

The fact Sinnoh is cold and the fact Gen IV lacks of fire types was just a coincidence. Generation V proved that fire types can inhabits different enviroments besides warm and and volcano areas. Ex.: Volcarona in the desert, Litwick in a tower, Darumaka in the desert again, Heatmor in a cavern. Then, saying that Sinnoh had few new fire types introduced because its northern area being cold is not a good excuse, they had other warm places that fire types could inhabit. They did not create many new fire types in Gen IV, but they fixed that with Pokemons from other regions, so it was intended to have fire types in Sinnoh. But why didn't GF create new ones?? We would like to have seen new Pokemons instead old buddies. Well, I just think they run out of ideas for fire types that time. Maybe, it is really hard to create a nice cool fire type.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
    Professional game developers working on a multimillion dollar franchise don't "run out of ideas."
    Of course not, the thread is clear that it is specifically about fire types during two generations (III and IV).
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 29th January 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Well, about Gen IV, most likely Fire Types were cut from development and decided to be out in later games jn a Shellos/Gastrodon esque way. I remember hearingnthat Litwick was originally planned for DP.

And, they might not have put in so much because of the fact it isn't neccecary at all. Other than Chimchar (who could already beat the game on it's own anyway), Fie types weren't as included as they were not needed.

Having one Fire type line is the same as innGen I, where there was only one Dragon, and one Ghost lines.

I don't think it is hard to create anything for any of the types. I think the creators just favour water types above all others. And this is a game there should not be any excuses of not being able to think of anything as it has limits. A game is fun and so why not introduce more fire types than water types? Why not add more ghosts? How can you run out of ideas for ghosts? Ghosts can be anything, any shape or form.

I do think they need to make more fire evolution lines that evolve twice (and be level up only) as the only ones we have need trade item (magmar line) or an evolution stone (Litwick line). I was so pleased when they added Litwick in Gen V though. However more fire types please. And ghosts and ice types would be good too. How about more dual types that have yet to be used...
    Shinies are good.

Judging by a rough look at the list of Pokemon by type, there's fewer Poison types.

But yeah, there are pretty few fire types to choose from.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Well, there aren't many, so it does seem to be kinda difficult. "Just add fire!"

There aren't many fire types in the game, this is true. But I'm sure they aren't just simply out of ideas. Pokemon does not simply "run out of ideas" with new artists coming in all the time. Most of the types fire types demolish could also be demolished by other common types, so it isn't a huge struggle to make up for the scarcity of fires.
    Mortals will face the wrath of my RAYQUAZAR BEAM
    Proud to be a GreySkyShipper

Generation V proved that fire types can inhabits different enviroments besides warm and and volcano areas. Ex.: Volcarona in the desert, Litwick in a tower, Darumaka in the desert again, Heatmor in a cavern.
    The only desert in Sinnoh is in the Battle Zone, and most of the caverns are damp or already include their fair share of unique Pokemon. Most of Sinnoh consists of environments hostile to Fire-types, hence why the region has so few.

Then, saying that Sinnoh had few new fire types introduced because its northern area being cold is not a good excuse, they had other warm places that fire types could inhabit.
    Sinnoh as an entire region is cold; that was reinforced with the extra snow you see everywhere in Platinum. Pokemon are designed to fit an environment, and cold environments do not inspire Fire-types.

They did not create many new fire types in Gen IV, but they fixed that with Pokemons from other regions, so it was intended to have fire types in Sinnoh.
    Sinnoh was intended to be a cold region consisting largely of mountainous and rocky areas, and was overall very damp. The only reason more Fire-types were added in Platinum is because people complained that the region had too few Fire-types.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufox86 View Post
    A game is fun and so why not introduce more fire types than water types? Why not add more ghosts? How can you run out of ideas for ghosts?
    Your logic works in both directions.

Lack of Ghost-types is mostly a matter of game balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Judging by a rough look at the list of Pokemon by type, there's fewer Poison types.
    Poison is the eighth most common type, with nine more species to its name than Fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast