Thread: EV point question

Default EV point question

Hi, I'm new to this forum and when I did a quick search, I couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'm posting a new thread.

I already read the EV guide here http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml but I still have a question that wasn't seemed answered.

I understand that every 4 pokemon of the same species you defeat would give you an extra stat point when your pokemon level up... but, is that for only the first 4 pokemon you defeat each before leveling up that matters or it includes all the pokemon you battled before leveling up.

Here's an example:
    I kill 40 Caterpies (which gives 1HP EV per kill), does that mean when my pokemon level up, it would gain 10 points in HP? Or is it after the first 4 Caterpies I defeat, the rest of the pokemon I defeat doesn't matter until I level up again.

Sorry for the long question, but I'm really confused about it.

Quote Originally Posted by xtakedownx View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and when I did a quick search, I couldn't find the answer to my question, so I'm posting a new thread.

I already read the EV guide here http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml but I still have a question that wasn't seemed answered.

I understand that every 4 pokemon of the same species you defeat would give you an extra stat point when your pokemon level up... but, is that for only the first 4 pokemon you defeat each before leveling up that matters or it includes all the pokemon you battled before leveling up.

Here's an example:
    I kill 40 Caterpies (which gives 1HP EV per kill), does that mean when my pokemon level up, it would gain 10 points in HP? Or is it after the first 4 Caterpies I defeat, the rest of the pokemon I defeat doesn't matter until I level up again.

It depends on what Generation the game you're playing is from. Could you tell us?

Here's an example:

Well, for one, it isn't strictly 4 EVS -> 1 stat point. That is only true when you reach level 100, the amount of EVs to a stat point is more complicated at lower levels.

However, to answer your question, you do not have to level up before you can gain more EVs. If you defeat 40 caterpie, you gain 40 EVs, simple as that.

And to anticipate your next question, it doesn't matter what level you are when you defeat said Caterpie, the end result will always be the same.

All this and more on my tumblr!
    I can breed premier ball Johto starters.
    3DS: 1160-9852-7611
    Will-Powered Spriter

Stats work differently depending on what your Pokemon's level is. A Pokemon at level 5 is typically going to have visible stats somewhere in the 10s and 20s, whereas the same Pokemon at level 100 visible stats in the 100s.

So evs are for every 4 ev points, you get 1 added point to the stat AT level 100. At other levels, those EVs still apply, but the math at lower levels is different.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    It depends on what Generation the game you're playing is from. Could you tell us?
    I'm replaying Pokemon red. The first generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    Well, for one, it isn't strictly 4 EVS -> 1 stat point. That is only true when you reach level 100, the amount of EVs to a stat point is more complicated at lower levels.

However, to answer your question, you do not have to level up before you can gain more EVs. If you defeat 40 caterpie, you gain 40 EVs, simple as that.

And to anticipate your next question, it doesn't matter what level you are when you defeat said Caterpie, the end result will always be the same.
    So does that mean after you get 510EV points, the rest of the Pokemon you defeat doesn't count towards your EV points? In other words, it's possible to fill out your EVEN points before reaching level 100?
    I'm playing Pokemon red. So there's no item that can reset the points... I think.

I'm replaying Pokemon red. The first generation.
    In that case, all of the above is irrelevant. This is relevant to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sswotwot View Post
    The IceCream Pokemon were actually made in Gen 1 :3 Just a little fun fact to ruin a Genwunners day (not saying you are one)

The EV/IV System was redone for the for the 3rd Generation. The system has hardly changed since Ruby and Sapphire. Most people who ask these questions are generally playing the Lastest games.

Shutting - Use the Questions thread.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)