Thread: Behind the Veil: BW2 Double Illusion

Default Behind the Veil: BW2 Double Illusion

Hello there Serebii! I know Double Illusion really does NOT seem viable since it forces using Zorua in UU, which benefits you not at all anyway.... Or does it? Enter the biggest disaster since the beginning of the CAP project BW CAP4, Aurumoth the Gold Standard Pokemon! The CAP tier probably needs some explaining, but I'll stick that in a Spoiler tag just in case you do actually know it.

Spoiler:- The CAPmons:

And with that out of the way, on to the team.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
    Trait: Illusion
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast

Zoroark is so much fun. And with Aurumoth on board, the fun is doubled. Is that Heatran Zoroark? Or maybe it's Aurumoth? Or possibly it really IS a Heatran? Better hope you guess right, a mistake could easily be fatal... Nasty Plot Zoroark also gets solid neutral coverage and just really hurts things once it gets a boost off. Dark Pulse gets STAB, pumping it up to match Focus Miss. Flamethrower roasts the Steels Haxorus has to be careful of, and a Zoroark in disguise as Haxy can really do that well. Hello Ferrothorn! Guess what? No Outrage here! Focus Miss handles Dark-types that want to be annoying and also deals nicely with Ice and Rock-types.

Aurumoth @ Life Orb
    Trait: Illusion
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
    - Dragon Dance
    - Megahorn
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Overheat

My second Illusioner and the physical one of the pair. Aurumoth also has a really useful 4x Fighting resistance, which Zoroark greatly appreciates. I'm not really sure why they decided Aurumoth should get Dragon Dance, but it has it and it needs it for the physical set. Aurumoth isn't the fastest thing in the world. But this can come in disguised as Haxorus and scare the flub outta just about anything that isn't Steel, which then gets roasted by Overheat. I'm using that over CC because it hits Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Kitsunoh really hard and because Megahorn handles Darks just fine. I miss out on Heatran though. This disguised as Haxorus can usually pick up a quick KO on their Steel, which is nice and once it's gone Haxorus can rampage with Outrage. Nothing enjoys a neutral hit off Haxy's Outrage. But back to Aurumoth. Megahorn hammers opposing Dark and Psychic-types, and Zen Headbutt is for the Fighting-types Zoroark hates. Overheat can also deal with the Bugs, but I prefer to let Heatran do that. The Spe EVs let it outrun what it needs to at +1, maximized Atk is pretty obvious and I dumped the rest into HP for overall bulk.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice

I love this Heatran. Spe is its only meh stat, and one Flame Charge fixes that right up. Fire Blast gets STAB and roasts the Bug-types that threaten both Zoroark and Aurumoth. Earth Power is primarily for opposing Heatran, but it does a real number on a good amount of CAP as well as quite a bit of OU. Its main targets are Heatran and Mollux though. Hidden Power Ice is for opposing Dragons and Gliscor. Heatran also makes a nice answer to opposing Aurumoth that don't carry Hydro Pump/Close Combat. Physical Overheat sets like the one I run are pretty much completely walled.

Haxorus @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - Dragon Claw

Classic Choice Band Haxorus. 648 Atk is TERRIFYING. STAB Outrage is even scarier. Haxorus and Aurumoth go together like peanut butter and marshmallow cream (Fluffernutters FTW!!). Aurumoth disguised as DD Haxorus lures in those Steels that would stop my Haxorus's sweep, and once that Steel is gone, Haxorus can usually clean up. Sometimes they have more than 1 Steel, and Aurumoth can only get 1, which is where the other moves come in. Earthquake and Brick Break hit various opposing Steels, with the exception of Skarmory. Dragon Claw is here for when I need Dragon without being locked in, but I never actually used it in testing.

Arghonaut @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    - Recover
    - Waterfall
    - Low Kick
    - Roar

Arghonaut is a great physical wall. The combination of Unaware and Recover served Quagsire well, and Arghonaut does it even better. Waterfall gets STAB and actually hurts things surprisingly badly even with such small Atk investment. Low Kick is here to hurt heavier opponents and stuff that resists Waterfall, and Roar is for getting rid of boosts if needed and just removing things I can't deal with, like Mollux.

Xatu @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
    - Roost
    - Heat Wave
    - Thunder Wave
    - U-Turn

Xatu is here for team support. It's also the only SpD I have on this entire team, which has been slightly problematic but not as much as I had expected. I run no hazards of my own, but Xatu can, with good prediction, both deny my opponent theirs and give me some to work with. Roost prolongs Xatu's life and this reliable recovery is one advantage over Espeon. Heat Wave is for beating Forretress and Ferrothorn, especially Ferrothorn. Thunder Wave is for making Haxorus's job easier, and U-Turn gets me out. Xatu makes a nice Illusion bluff too, since no one wants to leave their spiker in against a Magic Bouncer. It gives me a free turn to boost and those boosts can easily be turned into a sweep. Xatu absolutely blew me away with its performance on this team. I've used it before and I know it's great if it's used right, but I was a bit concerned about it in the CAP metagame. I didn't need to worry though - it did great. And there's nothing Fidgit can do to it either.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

I suppose you're going to use this for the CAP tier in Showdown? (I'm not that great at CAP but oh well)
    A threat I see here is Tomohawk, if it can predict perfectly...
    It can deal massive amounts of damage to 3 of your pokes, and if one hit lands, the illusion is gone...food for thought.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Yep! CAP's my favorite tier xD

Ergh.... Tomohawk has been the bane of this team. I've seen two so far, neither was in particularly good hands and I was able to work around them but they still gave me fits. I kinda wanted to stick a Krilowatt in to deal with it, but I'm not really sure where to put it.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

Haha ok made my own team on CAP...its a Rain team and it has Tomohawwwwk!
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Only one Advice. On Haxorus Drop The Band and Fit in Dragon Dance there. Dragon/Fight already gets flawless coverage. You're using Dragon Claw so I assume You don't want to be locked into Outrage but It's wouldn't matter 9/10 times as Every other Pokemon in your team can reliably handle all types of steels. Plus it lets you bluff Auromoth more effectively.
    Feel Free to Engage a certain Soul_Fly on Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown!
    You'll likely end up getting free ladder points due to my constant tendency to test out gimmicky teams.

LAWL. Lucario RULEZZ

Dragon Claw is there pretty much just because I didn't really like Rock Slide or Dual Chop, but I'll give DD a shot. The Spe could come in handy too.

Dragon/Fighting misses out on Kitsunoh (Ghost/Steel) in CAP and Kitsunoh's on a lot of teams but as you mentioned I can beat every Steel in some way.
    Last edited by loco1234; 27th January 2013 at 5:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Dragon Claw is there pretty much just because I didn't really like Rock Slide or Dual Chop, but I'll give DD a shot. The Spe could come in handy too.

Dragon/Fighting misses out on Kitsunoh (Ghost/Steel) in CAP and Kitsunoh's on a lot of teams but as you mentioned I can beat every Steel in some way.
    Why doesn't it carry EQ too? My recommendation was just to remove the extra Dragon Move.
    Feel Free to Engage a certain Soul_Fly on Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown!
    You'll likely end up getting free ladder points due to my constant tendency to test out gimmicky teams.

LAWL. Lucario RULEZZ

Err... It does carry EQ... Second slot.... The only options I have for that fourth slot are Dragon Dance and Rock Slide/Dual Chop and if I use any of those it'll be Dragon Dance. Haxorus has amazing Atk but a pathetic physical movepool. It's been doing pretty well so far but it seems like people expect me to take that set-up turn after seeing Aurumoth disguised as Hax using DD.

DD's advantage is the extra Spe and ability to change moves, Band's advantage is that they expect DD and it gives immediate power. DD's disadvantage is that I lose a turn and Band's is that I lose out on Spe.

I'm kinda liking DD better for the Spe, I'll probably go with that.

Hey Smogon, give Pyroak Flame Charge already... ._.

Anyways, I have little experience in CAP, I only recently started messing around with it. However, Choice Band Necturna seems to be a bit of a ***** to your team as you can't really switch in on it. Sure, with a bit of prediction you can force it out, but if you mispredict, something dies. The double Illusion helps, cause it's not going to fire off a V-Create on Aurumoth if it's disguised as Heatran, however, it's probably going to fire off a Stone Edge, which still KOs.

...Well, to be honest, that's all I can see right now. I'm still pretty new to CAP.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

I don't think I've seen one of those yet. Seems like it would be a problem, yeah.