Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moves that Pokemon SHOULD be able to learn, but can't (new edition)

Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    inb4 flareon and flare blitz. srsly though, it does need it.
    http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/555.gif - Hi

Agility and Blaze Kick would work better personally.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 30th January 2013 at 7:53 PM.

Raichu needs all the elemental punches.
    Brave Bird shouldn't be a egg move for Skarmory, let it learn it naturally.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    "Diancie is a good Pokemon because it can take a Water Pulse from Siebold's Clawitzer, so everyone stop whining about it." Some casual player on Miiverse 2014.

Zapdos and Articuno should be able to learn through level up, the move Air Slash.
    Moltres can, and both Zapdos & Articuno lacks a Special-based Flying move, so why not Air Slash?
    Besides, many normal bird Pokemon (Pidgeot and Unfezant for example) can learn the move. So why legendary birds like Zapdos and Articuno can't learn the move?

As someone else has mentioned, Kyurem should have been able to learn basically every single physical Ice move. Especially Icicle Crash, it doesn't make sense that it can't learn the move, Glaciate in that famous cutscene is being shown as a bunch of icicles. Also, Black Kyurem has that huge muscle arm. And it can't learn Ice Punch? Really doesn't make any sense.

Flareon.....well, at this point I don't think just Flare Blitz would help. Adding Flare Blitz is a good idea, but what's even better is to increase its coverage through adding new physical moves, that's anything other than Fire or Normal. Even better if those moves have synergy with Curse, as at this point it is obvious enough that Flareon is meant to be a Fire-Type that's a more offensive version of Umbreon (basically, a slow attacker) instead of being a fast attacker like most of the other Fire-Types. Hopefully X/Y will give this kind of movepool boost to Flareon.

If Gyarados should learn any Flying move other than Bounce, I think the only ones that makes sense are Aerial Ace, Fly, and Hurricane.
    It can use Aerial Ace with its tail, Hurricane is consistent with how Dragon Rage looks like in the anime, and Fly....well, it is based on an asian legend about a carp turning into a flying serpent. All depictions of the legend, that I've seen at least, shows the serpent to be basically like Rayquaza, which is also based on wing-less asian dragon that can fly anyway, despite lacking wings. And yes, I know Fly is "Sky Jump", but Bounce is technically a "sky jump" as well.

Also has been mentioned before, Zangoose with Cut, as well as Garchomp with Fly.
    Zangoose can learn almost any cutting move......except the "basic" one, Cut. And Cut is a Normal-Type move too....I don't get why GF still has not fix this. Or did they somehow still completely unaware of this?
    Garchomp with Fly.....it has been shown repeatedly, through both the anime and the Pokedex data, that it indeed can fly, not just glide. And I don't think a dragon with an appearance like that cannot do a "sky jump".

Cresselia, with its swan-like appearance, should be able to learn Surf.

Yanmega as well as Scyther learning Fly would be great, they have the size for it, and they should also have the strength for it, also I don't think it really matters much if that means Scizor can learn it as well. Volcarona and Genesect can, adding a few more won't hurt.

Umbreon should have been able to learn Revenge....its entire premise is being a slow attacker after all. Payback and Revenge are basically the same thing, except with different type. If Umbreon can learn Payback, why it can't learn Revenge as well?

Considering how Ledian's stats are the stats for a special attacker, it's odd that most of its coverage moves are physical. GF even gives it Iron Fist as Hidden Ability.
    I think, what Ledian should be able to learn, is more Special moves, especially Flying ones, which it lacks. Air Cutter would be a good one, which it indeed can learn, but only through 4th Gen Move Tutor, I say it should learn the move through level up. Quiver Dance as a stat-boosting move for it would be a good addition as well.

Jumpluff is also a Pokemon that should be able to learn more Special-based Flying moves, since it literally has none, apart from Hidden Power. It can't even learn Roost or Tailwind ._.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Not only mammalian, it should be also required to be female.
    That's probably why more pokémon can't learn it. As far as I know, I don't think there's any move unavailability based on gender in Pokémon unless you count nidoran (so as long as a species can learn a move, both sexes can unless the two sexes are a different "species"). There aren't a lot of other mammilian all-female pokémon except for the vaguely reptilian nidoqueen, jynx, which would probably be kind of awkward, and kangaskhan, which doesn't have much of a reason, but maybe kangaskhan saves its milk for its baby. So unless the move was changed so that male users needed to be in the presence of a female of their species for it to work, it probably wouldn't make much sense. So it's probably simpler to just make it miltank's signature move.

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanic Typhlosion View Post
    Emboar's Pokédex entry from Black:
    It can throw a fire punch by setting its fists on fire with its fiery chin. It cares deeply about its friends.

Yet it can only learn Fire Punch via Move Tutor. That's a little jacked up.
    I think nuzleaf's has a similar case with grasswhistle. Though maybe that's because the music nuzleaf plays with its leaf apparently isn't a pleasant melody.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaikenki View Post
    Samurott has his shell armor, but cannot learn shell smash. Also, his pokedex entry that he dominates others by glaring/howling, yet can't learn the moves himself...if he only had outrage
    Maybe samurott would rather not damage its shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanic Typhlosion View Post
    That would be, like, every Pokémon.
    Poliwrath's sure got a fine set of chompers, now doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    I got another one. Growlithe and Arcanine should learn Lick. Didn't we see Growlie lick James at certain points in the anime? Not to mention a lot of dogs in real life like to lick people they like.
    That might be because getting licked by a dog wouldn't harm anyone, but that doesn't explain why snubbull can use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    If Gyarados should learn any Flying move other than Bounce, I think the only ones that makes sense are Aerial Ace, Fly, and Hurricane.
    It can use Aerial Ace with its tail, Hurricane is consistent with how Dragon Rage looks like in the anime, and Fly....well, it is based on an asian legend about a carp turning into a flying serpent. All depictions of the legend, that I've seen at least, shows the serpent to be basically like Rayquaza, which is also based on wing-less asian dragon that can fly anyway, despite lacking wings. And yes, I know Fly is "Sky Jump", but Bounce is technically a "sky jump" as well.
    Couldn't agree more on hurricane and aerial ace (shoot, there are ground types that can use that move while gyarados can't), it's possible gyarados doesn't get fly because its flying type was really mostly just to give it an exploitable weakness to de-cheapify it. I don't think it's ever actually been stated it can fly, and I don't remember it actually doing so in the anime. Then again, the doduo line's type alone appears to justify its ability to learn the move, so it might still be said that gyarados doesn't have much of a good reason not to.

Yanmega as well as Scyther learning Fly would be great, they have the size for it, and they should also have the strength for it, also I don't think it really matters much if that means Scizor can learn it as well. Volcarona and Genesect can, adding a few more won't hurt.
    Maybe it's because scizor is explicitly described as not using its wings for flight. Volcorona appears to be a similar case to beedrill and venomoth, only lacking the type because it had defining features which made a different secondary type suit it, and the designers for whatever reason, didn't feel like making up for that with levitate. Scyther probably didn't get fly before that because the designers apparently decided to make it strictly unavailable to bug types before gen 5, and by then, scizor gave reason for the line not to get it.

Though that doesn't give much excuse for yanmega not getting fly in gen 5, being the flying type and larger than volcarona.

Umbreon should have been able to learn Revenge....its entire premise is being a slow attacker after all. Payback and Revenge are basically the same thing, except with different type. If Umbreon can learn Payback, why it can't learn Revenge as well?
    Maybe that's because payback is umbreon's type while revenge is not? Again, shaky, but then again, payback was a TM move while I don't think revenge was ever a TM, which would mean that umbreon would either have to learn an offensive fighting type move naturally, or the not particularly suitable eevee would have to learn it through breeding just because it fit one evolved form.

...But on the other hand, it's not like there aren't normal type pokémon who can get revenge by breeding. A violent pokémon like rattata might make a little more sense getting the move than the presumably benign eevee, but then what would be patrat's explanation? I think figuring this one out would probably take more thought energy than it's worth.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Moltres can, and both Zapdos & Articuno lacks a Special-based Flying move, so why not Air Slash?
    Don't they have Hurricane?
    Venemo Oscuridad - 90 Points
    I need to finish Bravely Default, Mega Man 2, my Pokemon Emerald Nuzloche, and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I want to do all of this by October 3rd.
    Since when did playing video require so much schedule management?

Machamp - Mach Punch. Why? Because the Pokédex says that it can fire a thousand punches in 2 seconds flat. Well, it has Bullet Punch, but only as an Egg Move.
    Ever get the nagging feeling that you forgot something?

Handheld Team

Emerald -
    Platinum -
    HeartGold -
    White -

Console Team

XD -

Black Kyurem should be able to learn Ice Punch. Ice Beam is more powerful, but is a Special move. Freeze Shock is Physical move, but it's a 2-turn move, which I generally don't like using.
    NOTICE: Me posting in a thread DOES NOT always mean I want your FC. If I DO want your FC, I will ask for it.
    3DS FC 2878-9669-5722. Add me for MK7/New Leaf/Pokemon X/Y
    STILL looking for an

CURRENT SHINY HUNTS
    Braixen///Frogadier - FS RE - Pokemon X - On Hold
    - MM - Pokemon X - On Hold
    - MM - Pokemon X - On Hold
    Zwellious/Druddigon - RE Victory Road - Pokemon X - On Hold

Friend Safari: Fairy with Kirlia, Jigglypuff and Clefairy.

You're not my mum or dad, therefore, you cannot tell me what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Lapras View Post
    Black Kyurem should be able to learn Ice Punch. Ice Beam is more powerful, but is a Special move. Freeze Shock is Physical move, but it's a 2-turn move, which I generally don't like using.
    Eh, it's usual form doesn't really have impressive arms....

Icicle Crash would make more sense.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 90 Points
    I need to finish Bravely Default, Mega Man 2, my Pokemon Emerald Nuzloche, and the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I want to do all of this by October 3rd.
    Since when did playing video require so much schedule management?

Based on appearance, Cofagrigus should be able to know at least Shadow Punch. It has arms made of shadows.

Name: Specter
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/w1zf3l.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the Shiny Darkrai clock!
    The Forbidden Forest(Pokemon fanfic)
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/o5ni81.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Garchomp needs Fly. Why? It's dex entry, that's why
    There's a difference between flying and attacking with Fly. I don't a LAND Shark's going to be too comfortable that high for that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    There's a difference between flying and attacking with Fly. I don't a LAND Shark's going to be too comfortable that high for that long.
    "It flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. ..."
    "Its body is covered in fine scales that reduce drag, enabling it to fly at high speeds."

Don't think comfort is a problem here.

The Pokedex specifically says that Emboar fights with flaming punches, yet it can't learn Fire Punch.
    It also says Garchomp can fly at high speeds, but it can't learn Fly.
    Ampharos can't learn Tail Glow and Azurill can't learn Bounce

...andohyeahflareonneedsflareblitzokbye
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hejiru View Post
    The Pokedex specifically says that Emboar fights with flaming punches, yet it can't learn Fire Punch.
    BW2 Move tutors.

Give Flygon Dragon Dance. If Scrafty and Whiscash can do it so can he.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Personally I beleve Ninetails should know Pyschic and Celebi should be able to learn Roar of Time...also all the "electric rodents" shpuld be able to learn volt tackle because it's one sweet move
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    BW2 Move tutors.
    Ok, well, he couldn't before B2W2 which is when I checked last.
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontail View Post
    Chatot, with its song abilities, should learn Perish Song.
    yeah i'll agree with this one it's abilties do imple it suits it.It would certainly be an intresting one.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneStar7 View Post
    Machamp - Mach Punch. Why? Because the Pokédex says that it can fire a thousand punches in 2 seconds flat. Well, it has Bullet Punch, but only as an Egg Move.
    Agreed the pokedex does imply it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightmareHybrid View Post
    Based on appearance, Cofagrigus should be able to know at least Shadow Punch. It has arms made of shadows.
    yeah i don't know why it dosn't.It even has arms in it's pre-evolved form so there no real reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Raichu needs all the elemental punches.
    Brave Bird shouldn't be a egg move for Skarmory, let it learn it naturally.
    firstly on Raichu i'll agree given that raichu is capable of quite afew punching attacks the elemental punches would make sense.
    Secondly on skarmory i think it's fine as it is given other flying type moves but i wouldn't mind if it was added.

now a few ones from me.

hypno and drowzee.-Dream eater given that many of it's pokedex entries talk about it eating dreams i've never understood why it can only learn it by tm.
    Unfeazent,pigeot,swellow and staraptor- acrobatics it's a flying type move and yet it can't be learnt by the any main regional birds.But can be used by farfetch'd, lunatone and abmipom .Plus it would give unfeazent a far more reliable stab.
    Escavalier-gyro ball.If dunsparce can learn gyro ball a slow steel type could do with it.
    Serperior- glare and earthquake.most snakes are capable of both why not serperior.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Don't they have Hurricane?
    ah yeah, Articuno gets Hurricane in B2/W2....but it's at Level 92, and Zapdos still doesn't have any Special-based Flying move.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post
    Celebi should be able to learn Roar of Time...
    Celebi is a time traveler, not time controller.

Anyway, Ampharos would love to have access to Tail Glow. Manaphy, which lacks any tail and is definitely not a firefly, can learn the move anyway.

So now there's no reason for why Ampharos is still unable to learn the move.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Samurott can't learn Glare, Shell Smash, Bite/Crunch (All pokémon with fangs should've learned it), Outrage, or Close Combat
    Sneasel/Weavile can't learn Dynamicpunch anymore
    I have a few more but can't think of one
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

Donphan, being an Elephant-like creature, should totally be able to learn Hydro Pump. Shoot that jack right out of his trunk!

Also, Stunfisk and Scary Face.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDaikenki View Post
    Samurott can't learn Glare, Shell Smash, Bite/Crunch (All pokémon with fangs should've learned it), Outrage, or Close Combat
    Sneasel/Weavile can't learn Dynamicpunch anymore
    I have a few more but can't think of one
    Glare is mostly unique to snake pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    ah yeah, Articuno gets Hurricane in B2/W2....but it's at Level 92, and Zapdos still doesn't have any Special-based Flying move.
    Doesn't the whole trio get Hurricane?

Though I agree that having Air Slash and the like would still be nice. And make more sense, as they're the legendary birds...
    Last edited by Zachmac; 15th March 2013 at 7:39 AM.

Froslass can't use haze but cofagrigus, ghastly, litwick, darkrai, and zekrom can? It's an ice/ghost type and the move is an ice type.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite.

image was wayyy too big. check the sig rules/signature check thread (in the newbie lounge) if you need help!

Quote Originally Posted by ven? View Post
    Froslass can't use haze but cofagrigus, ghastly, litwick, darkrai, and zekrom can? It's an ice/ghost type and the move is an ice type.
    Well, to be fair, Zekrom only gets it through a special event.

I also think it's Japanese name was "black mist", which doesn't go along with Froslass's appearance that much, so I don't find it that odd.

I also think it's Japanese name was "black mist", which doesn't go along with Froslass's appearance that much, so I don't find it that odd.
    Same thing can be said about half the pokemon who know the move, quagsire, vaporeon, etc. But since froslass is a ghost fading off into the shadows is pretty much it in a nutshell.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite.

image was wayyy too big. check the sig rules/signature check thread (in the newbie lounge) if you need help!

All pokemon except ghost-types should be able to learn tackle.
    [IMG]http://oi44.*******.com/2r2chw2.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Glare is mostly unique to snake pokemon
    Or it least Howl and Leer, I'm just following the pokedex entry. And should almost every pokémon should learn body slam or iick?
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast