Thread: National Anthem

Thumbs up National Anthem

Hello there, this is my first ever fan fiction so I do hope lots of people read it and give me feedback.

Rating: 15

Prologue: Blood in the Ocean

It has been ten years to the day that Aiden and his family had fled Kanto. He had lived a reserved life with his brothers, mother and father in a small village situated just outside of route 11. For a time, Aiden could honestly say he was happy. His father was a fisherman, which led to him often travelling for days on end. When he would return he would sit his children down for hours and regale the doubtless fabricated tales of his journey and the rare Pokémon which he had seen. But these memories brought with them great pain. As the heavy metallic brow of the rusted freighter upon which Aiden travelled now gave a groan he couldn’t help but register it.

His father had always said sea legs ran in the family. But sea legs had not helped him the night of their escape. It was in the blackest of night when he and his brothers awoke to the sound of screams. A quick glance out of their window told the children all they needed to know. Flames fell from the sky in great plumes of insurmountable heat. The fires grew when they touched the farm lands, the resulting smoke masking the sky where the creatures governed by the criminals flew. Aiden’s father had rushed them away, hurrying them to the shove where his vessel was moored. The delusions of a child led Aiden to believe they were safe. But the Gyarados had different plans. As one they struck their vicious teeth bit and tails lashed the vessel which was already struggling against the fury of the sea.

With haste Aiden’s mother dragged them below deck, leaving his father to man steer them towards Johto. Aiden was the last to move below deck and saw his father fall from the boat. From then on he could only remember three things. The screaming, his brothers hands upon him as they wrestled him below deck and the terror that came as the Gyarados dived for their meal. Fortune was on their side and safely as could be expected in Johto, where they had stayed for a time with their now late father’s sister.

She was certainly accommodating, helping her sister-in-law mother gain a low skilled job within a rather grubby café attached to Route 35. Aiden would often sit with her after school, his ears poised for word from Kanto. The chatter which filled the air would often remark on their neighbours to the East, with travelled sharing stories of the horrors which tore through Aiden’s homeland. To her benefit his mother did her best to shield him and all her children from the news. But the damage had been done. Eventually she conceded and Aiden would listen openly to the dark tales of others. By this time however the labouring of both parenthood and working had taken its toll on the woman. Grief stricken and with rapidly degrading health she laboured long enough for her children to leave school and find work of their own.

Aiden had been the only one of his siblings to not move into the safe arms of the private sector. He never enjoyed travelling under cover of darkness, but when he left for his journey he had no choice. It was of course clear that his mother would not approve. He had addressed a letter to her, which was to be delivered on the morning after his departure. With the money he had saved over the years he had purchased, in secret, a small stash of supplies that he now stored within his tattered school rucksack. He chose the most durable clothes he had at hand, a pair of dark jeans and hiking boots. A weather-beaten brown leather jacket and white t-shirt covered his torso. The clothes themselves were well worn, which would likely help him avoid any undue attention.

Before departing he took one final look in his full length mirror. Moonlight streamed in through the crack in his curtains, gracing the room with enough light to gain an accurate representation of his appearance. He was tall and lean, with close cropped dark hair and matching eyes. Now aged twenty one, he had grown comfortable with his pale completion that seemed far more profound in the silver light, as did the single Poké Ball that was strapped to his belt.

After their fleeing from Team Rocket his mother had only thought it prudent that each of her children had a Pokémon. She had used the majority of her wages to buy each of her children an Abra, under the notion that if they were ever in danger they could swiftly depart. Unbeknown to her Aiden had long since traded his own away in favour of another. The café in which his mum worked had a notice board. On inspection one day he noticed something that caught his eye. It was the address of an elderly couple who offered a Pokémon Day Care service. They lived several towns away which led to Aiden having to get three buses and walking for a half hour before reaching their home, the notice clamped within his then heavily sweaty hand.

He had been fourteen at the time but, for reasons unbeknown to him, this was far from an uncommon age for children to travel alone in Johto. Therefore he approached the counter with confidence and asked the elderly woman, in his best Johto accent, if she was aware of any trainers in the area looking to trade.

“I believe the colourful gentlemen over there is looking for just about anything in exchange for his Squirtle. He has been attempting to rid himself of it for the past few months.” The old lady said with a smile.

Aiden thanked her and moved towards the man. It wasn’t difficult to see to whom she was referring. He was dressed in a well kept bright orange suit, with a pale green shirt on beneath. Aiden was never one for fashion, but whoever had informed this man that the look he was sporting was tasteful must have been lying through their teeth. The man was attempting, rather animatedly, to return the Squirtle to its Poké Ball. The Pokémon in question looked as though travelling so close to this mans groin was the furthest thing it could imagine from a positive endeavour and was dodging the red lasers accordingly.

“Excuse me.” Aiden said as he came closer to the man.

“What?” The rainbow man asked in a high pitched voice.

“I’ve heard you’re looking to trade.”

“Oh, why didn’t you say? I’ve been looking for an exchange for my fantastic Squirtle for quite some time now. He’s highly energetic, a marvellous companion for any young trainer. What did you have in mind to trade?”

“I have an Abra.” Aiden replied as he dislodged the Poké Ball from his belt.

“An Abra? Surely you’re joking?” The man said as the Squirtle leapt once more from the reach of the flashing red light.

At this the man finally lost his nerve, he stood up and turned to give Aiden his fullest attention. Given that he was considerably older than the boy, it would be fair to expect he was anticipating Aiden to be intimidated. But Aiden had seen things from more intimidating than this man and his ridiculous dress sense.

“The choice is simple.” Aiden said in a cold firm voice. “You can ever continue trying to tame the Pokémon which seems far beyond your abilities or take my offer and get a clean slate. It’s far from ungenerous.” Without realising he had slipped once more into his usual accent, which brought with it the dark domineering that the people of his homeland were blessed with.

“You’re fortunate that I must leave for Kanto tonight, very well we shall trade.”

The task of taming the Squirtle had been a difficult one, but through sheer force of will Aiden had managed to domesticate the fearless creature. Together they would practice for an hour a day in the small clump of woods to the north of where they lived. There was a very limited supply of Pokémon there for them to do battle with, but it had been enough for the pair to grow as one.

It had been a short journey to Olivine City all those years later. Where greasing the palms of the right sailor had secured him safe passage to Kanto. Their plan had been simple. He was to remain undetected to all but the few members of the crew. Once they reached the shore he was to stowaway in a crate. If he was discovered the captain could simply claim ignorance, allowing Aiden to receive the brunt of the punishment. The crate in question was to be delivered to a small corner shop in Lavender town. It was common for shipments to go astray in a region of such unrest. Which meant Aiden could break his way free and venture out into the land. Once he was inside Kanto he had one goal, to avenge his father and free his kin.

He was jolted free from the grappling of his mind from the first glimpse of land. The peaks of the regions great mountains came into vision. Before long, Aiden was gazing once more upon his homeland. In the morning sun the state of the region was clear. Its once flourishing farmland and greenery had been wilted to a state of desolate auburn. For comfort he brought his Squirtle from its Poké Ball and the pair stared horror stricken. The herculean task that was before them dawned upon Aiden, but he would not run from the challenge. It was running that had led to his fathers death and, on this day, he had vowed to never run again.

Great start the best I've read on here, though I've only read one other, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Emrys; 1st February 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Great start the best I've read on here, though I've only read one other, keep up the good work!
    Thank you very much, I should have the new chapter completed very soon.