Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 176

Thread: Should Pokemon eventually get 4 or 5 stages of Evolution?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default 4th Evolution

    The maximum number of times a Pokemon can currently evolve is twice, but do you think they should ever introduce a 4th evolution?

    Why/Why not? and which Pokemon do you think could do with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Probably not. Evolution increases stats and a lot of pokemon already have high stats. Legendaries would become obsolete with 4th evos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyBlackWhite View Post
    Probably not. Evolution increases stats and a lot of pokemon already have high stats. Legendaries would become obsolete with 4th evos.
    I agree that if certain Pokemon got a 4th evolution they may very well be overpowered, however some of them aren't that strong even as third evolutions e.g. Wigglytuff, Beedrill, Butterfree, Pidgeot and many more from multiple gens (seeing as I only named gen one Pokemon there). Giving these Pokemon a 4th evolution could potentially make them more useable again. However if they gave something powerful like Dragonite a 4th evolution, it'd be too much..... UNLESS the 4th evolution changed some aspect of the pokemon without drastically altering stats e.g. maybe its evolution simply has a new typing or ability that makes it stand out, rather than its stats increasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    I don't want a 4th evolution to be introduced, and they will never do that either.

    1) Three stages is a standard since Gen 1.

    2) As the poster above said, many third-stage Pokemons already have high stats.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    they will never do that either.
    You never know, anything is possible. Pokemon fusion was never possible until Black and White 2. And X and Y introduces the first grass starter not based on some kind of reptile or dinosaur. There are loads of new potential directions Pokemon could go in. Besides, like I said in an earlier post, the stat thing could easily be resolved i.e. by only giving weak third evolution pokemon an additional evolution, or by changing the Pokemon in a way other than just raising stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Its going to make a lot of Pokemon OP.Plus, if they did that; a lot of things can be change and I feel you should not change whats not broken.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    Its going to make a lot of Pokemon OP.Plus, if they did that; a lot of things can be change and I feel you should not change whats not broken.
    Special/Physical split for different move types, the introduction of natures and abilities and many other ideas come to mind. Pokemon definitely wasn't "Broken" but these huge changes improved the game. Plus it really wouldn't be that drastic if done correctly. People seem to be only thinking of the extremes here e.g. a Gyarados, Tyranitar or Metagross getting all their stats boosted. If you think about it realistically in a way that it could work e.g. Beedrill getting a 4th evolution to make it useable again, seeing as it isn't even as powerful as some Pokemon that evolve only once.

    Think outside of the box is all I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Special/Physical split for different move types, the introduction of natures and abilities and many other ideas come to mind. Pokemon definitely wasn't "Broken" but these huge changes improved the game. Plus it really wouldn't be that drastic if done correctly. People seem to be only thinking of the extremes here e.g. a Gyarados, Tyranitar or Metagross getting all their stats boosted. If you think about it realistically in a way that it could work e.g. Beedrill getting a 4th evolution to make it useable again, seeing as it isn't even as powerful as some Pokemon that evolve only once.

    Think outside of the box is all I'm saying.
    We are talking about GameFreak here.Plus, what would happen to the RU,UU,NU tier if that happens.Adding 4th evolutions, would only cause Pokemon to crowd the OU tier.Adding a 4th evolution would also cause many Pokemon to evolve late.Yes, I do agree that many things can be implemented to make the game better but by adding 4th evolution it would not work.We are 6 gen in Pokemon and adding that drastic change would be like changing the type chart completely.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,538

    Default

    No. I think that if that 3 stages have been the standard since Gen I. I think if they wanted a 4 stage line they should of added it several generations ago. Plus there is really no need for it.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    203

    Default

    It will be cool, but I don't think that is a good idea, they will be overpowered, and it will make legendaries make less sense to have on your team.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!



    FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    We are talking about GameFreak here.Plus, what would happen to the RU,UU,NU tier if that happens.Adding 4th evolutions, would only cause Pokemon to crowd the OU tier.Adding a 4th evolution would also cause many Pokemon to evolve late.Yes, I do agree that many things can be implemented to make the game better but by adding 4th evolution it would not work.We are 6 gen in Pokemon and adding that drastic change would be like changing the type chart completely.
    That's only an assumption though. Having a 4th evolution doesn't necessarily mean a Pokemon will be overused. There are plenty of third evolutions that can't hold their own, so really it's all about the individual Pokemon and the balance. Also there's nothing wrong in giving people more good Pokemon to choose from, it'd make things funner in that sense.

    As for evolving late, that's yet another assumption. Like I said, think outside of the box! If you think about it, no new evolution given to a Pokemon has ever been via JUST levelling up. Either the introduction to a new stone, having a certain move, trading with a certain item etc. has been the norm so far. This means there are a great variety of ways a 4thevolution could be obtained, NOT just generic levelling up.

    The only thing that limits this idea is people thinking too generically or not being creative enough with it. Everyone seems to be coming to the same conclusion "omg that would mean stats would be unbalanced" rather than thinking "actually, what if they did it in a way in which stats were NOT unbalanced".

    Also, this would be NOTHING like changing the type chart completely, it's really not that drastic of a change compared to previous decisions made by GameFreak (which all worked).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,916

    Default

    I very highly doubt fourth stages will ever be added; however, there's always the possibility of adding split evolutions.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    114

    Default

    If they were to introduce 4th evolutions, it would be creative but it is not practical.Think about it, there are tons of Pokemon that are haven't third stage evolutions and below; changing all that would take several generations plus Game Freak would have to include a ton of new Pokemon every generations.And if you give a Pokemon a 4th evolution and you don't make it to be overpowered; what's the use?To give Pokemon 4th evolution will make Pokekon that are able to hold on their own third stages would lose their meaning to let's say a 4th evolution Pokemon that got more power.And how many more evolutions methods can you think of? We are not just taking about a few Pokemon; we are talking about the 700++ Pokemon to be as a whole.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    The maximum number of times a Pokemon can currently evolve is twice, but do you think they should ever introduce a 4th evolution?

    Why/Why not? and which Pokemon do you think could do with one?
    You need to check your maths, if the max number pokémon can currently evolve is twice then logically then next step is a 3rd evolution.

    As for your question the answer is no. Pokémon evolution is growth from a child to a grown adult, which is why there is a limit on how many time a pokémon can evolve.

    Furthermore the limit is what separate the Pokémon series from the Digimon series.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    If they were to introduce 4th evolutions, it would be creative but it is not practical.Think about it, there are tons of Pokemon that are haven't third stage evolutions and below; changing all that would take several generations plus Game Freak would have to include a ton of new Pokemon every generations.And if you give a Pokemon a 4th evolution and you don't make it to be overpowered; what's the use?To give Pokemon 4th evolution will make Pokekon that are able to hold on their own third stages would lose their meaning to let's say a 4th evolution Pokemon that got more power.And how many more evolutions methods can you think of? We are not just taking about a few Pokemon; we are talking about the 700++ Pokemon to be as a whole.
    You misunderstand. I didn't say 4th evolutions themseleves were creative, I said you and other people making assumptions should be more creative. You see "4th evolution" and immediately assume that this means overpowered Pokemon, late levelling up etc. when really that's because you was just being too narrow minded to think of different ways of implementing this idea.

    Several generations? LOL. How in any way would it take that long. It really wouldn't be that hard, especially as other ideas only took them a single gen (other ideas which are WAY more game changing). Also, firstly you're once again assuming that they would HAVE to make a "ton of new Pokemon" every gen, and secondly, why are you complaining? Making more Pokemon would be a blessing. However, they would be under no obligation to make any more than usual if this was introduced.

    "If you give a Pokemon a 4th evolution and don't make it overpowered, what's the use" - Maybe to make it usable ? In fact it'd be retarded to give a Pokemon a 4th evolution just to make it overpowered. The goal here is to improve certain Pokemon whilst maintaining the balance. Giving a powerful Pokemon a 4th evolution and changing aspects other than stats could give it different advantages such as a type change. There would obviously always be a beneficial justifcation to each one.

    Your argument for third stage Pokemon losing their meaning is flawed, because using that logic you could argue that ALL evolutions make the former Pokemon redundant and thus no evolutions should exist.

    I can think of quite a few evolution methods to be honest, and I'm sure GameFreak can and will think of more.

    And I don't know what you was talking about, but I never once said give every single Pokemon an evolution. I simply said introducing the concept and implementing it on some Pokemon that could benefit from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    You need to check your maths, if the max number pokémon can currently evolve is twice then logically then next step is a 3rd evolution.

    As for your question the answer is no. Pokémon evolution is growth from a child to a grown adult, which is why there is a limit on how many time a pokémon can evolve.

    Furthermore the limit is what separate the Pokémon series from the Digimon series.
    A Pokemon can evolve twice, however by the second time it has evolved it is the Third stage of its evolution line. This is suggesting a Fourth stage of an evolution line.

    Secondly it is your view that evolution is based that way, however this is not necessarily the case. Evolution is based on a transformation and has nothing to do with age in the same way that humans grow up. In fact, using your logic there should be 5 stages: baby > child > teenager > adult > pensioner. Evolution is not the same as age, so it's not really a valid comparison, and therefore there's no limit on the amount of times a Pokemon could potentially evolve.

    Lastly there are many other attributes that separate Pokemon and Digimon. If you think the three stages of evolution is the key thing that separates them you clearly don't know enough about either series.
    Last edited by CAH; 19th January 2013 at 7:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    I wouldn't want a fourth evolution, but I like the idea of a split for the third evolution. That would be a neat idea, getting to choose what evolution you want for the starter. Unless they go down the Tyrogue route and have the EVs choose for you.

    Though they would also have to make sure at least one Trainer has one or all of those evolutions so you would be able to see them and not have to fully rely on finding someone to trade with. It'd be a jerk-move otherwise.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Some aspects should never change. The franchise is fine with Pokémon having only two evolutions/three forms. You don't fix what isn't broken.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Didney Worl
    Posts
    703

    Default

    Maybe one Pokemon line just be like one of those special cases.


    Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Just to make a Pokemon useful by adding a 4th evolution would be redundant.There are many approaches to this matter like adding useful abilities and move sets which are already in place.Adding a 4th evolution to some Pokemon would only make that some Pokemon more useful.There would be still other Pokemon that are less useful and Game Freak would have to think of ways to improve them in several Gens.Like you said, GameFreak is an creative unit and I am sure that they are thinking of methods to make other Pokemon more useful.

    I am not complaining but if you follow the pattern of each Gen, there is an certain amount of new Pokemon that every Gen introduces and I am happy for that.

    The 3rd stage is usually an adult stage for Pokemon as adding one more stage would be like adding an old version of our Pokemon.

    Besides, if we are creative enough, we would not be typing this front of a computer( for me it would be my phone).

    EDIT:I probably should be sleeping...it's 2.27am here.Just saying.
    Last edited by iGotNoiPad; 19th January 2013 at 7:28 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Secondly it is your view that evolution is based that way, however this is not necessarily the case. Evolution is based on a transformation and has nothing to do with age in the same way that humans grow up. In fact, using your logic there should be 5 stages: baby > child > teenager > adult > pensioner. Evolution is not the same as age, so it's not really a valid comparison, and therefore there's no limit on the amount of times a Pokemon could potentially evolve.
    Not at all, it's a known fact that evolutions are based on life stages, and what would a pensioner do in battle? lol.


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    510

    Default

    I don't think it'd work. Why add another stage in the evolution lines when you could actually give evolutions to pokemon that are useless?. Like Luvdisc/Alomomola/Stunfisk/Emolga/Combee (male only) etc.

    I think split evolutions would be a good idea for starters. It'll make things interesting. And also other pokemon getting split evolutions would be great. I just don't think adding evolutions to starters or other "three stage" pokemon would be worth it.
    Shinies are good.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    Just to make a Pokemon useful by adding a 4th evolution would be redundant.There are many approaches to this matter like adding useful abilities and move sets which are already in place.Adding a 4th evolution to some Pokemon would only make that some Pokemon more useful.There would be still other Pokemon that are less useful and Game Freak would have to think of ways to improve them in several Gens.Like you said, GameFreak is an creative unit and I am sure that they are thinking of methods to make other Pokemon more useful.

    I am not complaining but if you follow the pattern of each Gen, there is an certain amount of new Pokemon that every Gen introduces and I am happy for that.

    The 3rd stage is usually an adult stage for Pokemon as adding one more stage would be like adding an old version of our Pokemon.

    Besides, if we are creative enough, we would not be typing this front of a computer( for me it would be my phone).

    EDIT:I probably should be sleeping...it's 2.27am here.Just saying.
    Whilst adding a new ability or move to a Pokemon could help in somewhat, an entirely new evolution could help even more so. Once again the example of Beedrill. Its stats and typing are pretty bad, and an evolution that could actually make it usable would be a nice addition to it's evolutionary chain. And yes, well done, the point WAS to make some Pokemon more useful. I don't know why you seem to have the idea that I'm saying EVERY Pokemon should have a 4th evolution.

    I don't think you quite understand half of this discussion to be honest. I already stated that 4th evolutions having an impact on the number of new Pokemon in each gen was your assumption. It's very possible to introduce the same number of new Pokemon even whilst added new evolutions, and once again you talk about more Pokemon like it's a bad thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Popboi View Post
    Not at all, it's a known fact that evolutions are based on life stages, and what would a pensioner do in battle? lol.
    It's in no way a "known fact". Please describe how a magnet mixing with other magnets has anything to do with a human being growing up? Evolution is just a transformation from a Pokemon's former state into something more powerful, or something with more ability to battle/survive. But like I said even if the assumption that Pokemon are based on the life cycle of man (which is a retarded assumption), there would still be no logic for limiting it to "three" stages seeing as there can be multiple different stages to the aging of a human being.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufox86 View Post
    I don't think it'd work. Why add another stage in the evolution lines when you could actually give evolutions to pokemon that are useless?. Like Luvdisc/Alomomola/Stunfisk/Emolga/Combee (male only) etc.

    I think split evolutions would be a good idea for starters. It'll make things interesting. And also other pokemon getting split evolutions would be great. I just don't think adding evolutions to starters or other "three stage" pokemon would be worth it.
    Some third stage evolution Pokemon are pretty bad however. I encourage giving evolutions to Pokemon that are pretty useless like you mentioned, but I think this should apply to any Pokemon that needs it, not just stand alone Pokemon, or Pokemon which only evolve once. Starters however I think should be left alone. They're already powerful, and they don't really require an additional evolution in the same way that something like Butterfree or something similarly weak for a third evolution does.

    The point here would only be for Pokemon that actually need another evolution. Split evolutions are good too, but usually in those cases the third evolution is already decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Fourth evos would make no sense... it would just look weird.

    The furthest we've ever got was the Eeveelutions, followed by some near-end-of-pokedex Pokemon getting alternate evos.

    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Some Pokemon are meant to be weak. Not every single Pokemon is meant to match up with each other. The Beedrill line is an example of one of those weak lines. Think about that: Beedrill (in its third stage) evolves at lv.10. The starters don't even evolve until around lv.16. Beedrill isn't meant to be just as powerful as Tyranitar or Garchomp or a Legendary Pokemon.

    Personally, I think all Pokemon from Gen 1-4 should be left alone. No more evos or pre-evos for those. I'd be okay with a few from Gen 5 since they are the most recent Pokemon, but the main focus for GameFreak should be creating entirely new lines of Pokemon, not just adding more to old ones.

    However, if they were to one day create a Pokemon with 4 stages, fine. But they shouldn't go back and add one to any older Pokemon. And it should be unique to the species. We don't need 50+ Pokemon with that many stages.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami
    -----
    My Pokemon Teams
    -----
    White 2 Team:
    Black Team:
    SoulSilver Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Diamond Team:
    FireRed Team:
    Ruby Team:

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK GMT+1
    Posts
    25

    Default

    while i dont think more evolutions should be added to current 3 stage bug pokemon, i think some of them should have been made with more evolutions than they do - bugs tend to go through a few metamorphoses in life, and this should be reflected in the pokemon world so when more are designed for the next generation there should be some bug pokemon that evolve more than twice. this would help with the fact that a lot of bugs are bad as they fully evolve really early on like beedrill and are therefore too weak to be of any use later on.
    On Hiatus

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •