Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Pokemon eventually get 4 or 5 stages of Evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    Some Pokemon are meant to be weak. Not every single Pokemon is meant to match up with each other. The Beedrill line is an example of one of those weak lines. Think about that: Beedrill (in its third stage) evolves at lv.10. The starters don't even evolve until around lv.16. Beedrill isn't meant to be just as powerful as Tyranitar or Garchomp or a Legendary Pokemon.

Personally, I think all Pokemon from Gen 1-4 should be left alone. No more evos or pre-evos for those. I'd be okay with a few from Gen 5 since they are the most recent Pokemon, but the main focus for GameFreak should be creating entirely new lines of Pokemon, not just adding more to old ones.

However, if they were to one day create a Pokemon with 4 stages, fine. But they shouldn't go back and add one to any older Pokemon. And it should be unique to the species. We don't need 50+ Pokemon with that many stages.
    Whilst there are obviously Pokemon like Tyranitar or Garchomp that are more powerful than most Pokemon, it wouldn't hurt to make weaker Pokemon more usable. It's unrealistic to make every Pokemon as powerful as the previously mentioned powerhouses, however there would be nothing wrong with giving weak Pokemon the potential to at least be decently strong. This is the very reason that GameFreak even gives evolutions to previous weak Pokemon in the first place e.g. Yanma which was completely unusable before Diamond and Peral were released, or Lickitung which was below average. The argument that there should be weak Pokemon doesn't just clash with the idea of 4th evolution, it clashes with the idea of giving ANY weak Pokemon an evolution regardless of what stage it'd be in.

Adding loads of new Pokemon is great, but I personally feel that some extra evolutions per gen to fix or make usable previously useless Pokemon is something that should be done, in the same way that Diamond and Pearl did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    You never know, anything is possible. Pokemon fusion was never possible until Black and White 2.
    Pokemon fusion was something exclusive to the plot of B2/W2. You cannot fuse Pikachu with Bulbasaur, for example, though fusion had been introduced. Therefore, it is something possible in the Pokemon world, but you probably will never be able to do it in any rpg game.

And X and Y introduces the first grass starter not based on some kind of reptile or dinosaur.
    Making a grass started based on an animal that isn't reptile or dinosaur isn't so drastic as adding a fourth stage to a Pokemon. Plus, it was never a standard that grass starter should be reptile or dinosaur, it was just a coincidence by now.

Besides, like I said in an earlier post, the stat thing could easily be resolved i.e. by only giving weak third evolution pokemon an additional evolution, or by changing the Pokemon in a way other than just raising stats.
    Resolve the stat thing? You cannot make up for all the third stage Pokemons that got weak stats. Pokemons are different, some are strong and some are weak. Making the weak a bit stronger will make them look alike, and that will ruin the fun of the game.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 19th January 2013 at 9:04 PM.

Possibly. Alongside legendaries getting evos, that would make any Pokemon family useable.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

Doing so would be a great stupidity. Yeah, legendaries would become obsolete...
    Yes, I discovered the GB Sounds glitch! : video here

Hoenn will rise again!!

Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes! [started by Flare64]

Pearl FC: 2751-9028-8522
    Platinum FC: 3181-3995-0123
    SoulSilver FC: 0604-9190-1415
    Black FC: 1334-7065-6073
    White 2 FC: 0691-3271-0651

3DS FC: 1736-1030-9286

I don't think so. If it were to happen, the pokemon would be way too strong, considering they get stronger each time they evolve.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Spoiler:- pokemon joke of the week:

Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    I don't think so. If it were to happen, the pokemon would be way too strong, considering they get stronger each time they evolve.
    Not necessarily, for example Scyther's stats just become redistributed when it evolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Pokemon fusion was something exclusive to the plot of B2/W2. You cannot fuse Pikachu with Bulbasaur, for example, though fusion had been introduced. Therefore, it is something possible in the Pokemon world, but you probably will never be able to do it in any rpg game.
    Regardless it is still something that had never been done before, and the point was that any idea is possible, especially one that isn't even that drastic. Simply adding one more evolution is nowhere near as drastic as introducing two new types to fit in an already good type chart, adding abilities and natures or creating a physical/special split in moves.

Making a grass started based on an animal that isn't reptile or dinosaur isn't so drastic as adding a fourth stage to a Pokemon. Plus, it was never a standard that grass starter should be reptile or dinosaur, it was just a coincidence by now.
    See the reply to your above comment. In addition to that, using your logic I could say that it is only a coincidence that there has never been a 4th evolution as of yet. Just because something has kept to a certain structure for a long time, does not mean it will never change. The grass starter example highlighted that.

Resolve the stat thing? You cannot make up for all the third stage Pokemons that got weak stats. Pokemons are different, some are strong and some are weak. Making the weak a bit stronger will make them look alike, and that will ruin the fun of the game.
    Once again, I never said ALL. I said that some Pokemon would benefit from an additional evolution. Furthermore, how does a Pokemon's strength have anything to do with how it looks? I assume you meant they will all be equal in terms of strength? Once again "think outside of the box". Making weaker Pokemon a little stronger does not necessarily mean making ALL Pokemon equally strong. That would be unrealistic. However making some weaker Pokemon more usable would only improve the game. As I already mentioned, this type of argument isn't against "4th evolutions" as such, but goes against ALL evolution in general. I don't see how having weak and practically unusable Pokemon "ruins the fun of the game", seeing as it gives you the opurtunity to raise more things that previously were terrible. Yanma for example is a Pokemon I would NEVER raise before it had an evolution, however Yanmega made it usable. If we applied your logic of "leaving weak Pokemon weak" then to this day Yanma would still be another wasted space in the Pokedex that nobody would bother to raise. I'd say that weak Pokemon "ruin the fun of the game", not decent/strong Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalOne View Post
    Doing so would be a great stupidity. Yeah, legendaries would become obsolete...
    Another person who assumes that a 4th evolution can only be done by making Pokemon overpowered. Sigh, do people not even read before posting things like this? There are loads of ways to have an additional evolution without overpowering stats as I mentioned before in previous posts in the thread.

The same reply I gave to "TheOriginalOne" applies to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Agonist View Post
    Not necessarily, for example Scyther's stats just become redistributed when it evolves.
    You are the first person here that hasn't jumped to conclusions like "omg the stats would be overpowered". I wish more people would actually think. Scyther's evolution is a perfect example of how a Pokemon can evolve to become better than the original, but without a heavy focus on just increasing stats. It's stats were invested in different things and it gained a new type. Pokemon can evolve to become stronger without being overpowered. In saying that, Pokemon that already have weak stats would likely need some improvement in stats, but increasing weak stats would never make them overpowered, just more powerful than before. Nobody here is suggesting we drastically increase the stats of something like Dragonite.
    Last edited by CAH; 19th January 2013 at 11:03 PM.
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."

PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Quote Originally Posted by Agonist View Post
    That is true, but that wasn't a 4th evolution. That was only one evolution.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Spoiler:- pokemon joke of the week:

I am not in the mood as I said before for a 4th evo. However, I can Game freak adding more branched evolutions.

I don't think a fourth evolution stage is ... natural. It's the same since Generation I and I'm sure it will stay the same as it is actually.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt account

That is true, but that wasn't a 4th evolution. That was only one evolution.
    Even so it is proof that increasing stats drastically isn't the only way to evolve a Pokemon. Regardless of how many times it has evolved, there is always a way to evolve a Pokemon sensibly without it becoming overpowered.

Do you consider the fact that some pokemons can evolved of my ways like Snorunt or obviously Eevee ?
    I guess the answer is no. So I'm not against the fact of a 4th evolution because it would make more variety.
    For the ones who are saying that it would make their stats too good, they maybe won't create new evolution after the currently last.
    Baby form would be nice I guess for a bunch of pokemon that exist like Lapras, but it's my opinion.
    Oh my Feebas !
    Newest Shiny !

Spoiler:- My Hunts and Shinies:

I think evolutions are fine the way they are. No need to add a 4th evolution onto a Pokémon when there are some with only one evolution that could use another/pre evolution.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:
    Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Furthermore the limit is what separate the Pokémon series from the Digimon series.
    Ah, playground arguments; I lost many friends...

Yes, some of the catchable critters are awful on the competitive spectrum. Whether it be the many bugs, birds, or water things. Some of the little guys you start with turn out to be awful. Even some legendaries join that pool. Don't forget the gimmicks.

The 2 evolution limit has been there from the start and I don't see another stage being implemented into the series anytime soon. Plus, do you remember all the hate the evolutions of older Pokémon got in generation 4? Yeah, imagine that happening again only this time there's a lot more carnage.

Smogon keeps telling you your favourites are awful? Sad truth; they're right but who cares? Use them anyways and challenge yourself. Be a gym leader and use a mono-type team where Charizard will be useful for that annoying Ground weakness if you plan to use Fire types. What's bulkier than Blissey? A Chansey with an Eviolite after a Shuckle has used Guard Split on it.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 19th January 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: forgot about generation 4
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

A Pokemon can evolve twice, however by the second time it has evolved it is the Third stage of its evolution line. This is suggesting a Fourth stage of an evolution line.
    Incorrect. The pokémon stage goes like this.

Basic---> 1st Stage--> 2nd Stage

As you can see they evolve twice not three time, so yes your maths is wrong.

Secondly it is your view that evolution is based that way, however this is not necessarily the case. Evolution is based on a transformation and has nothing to do with age in the same way that humans grow up. In fact, using your logic there should be 5 stages: baby > child > teenager > adult > pensioner. Evolution is not the same as age, so it's not really a valid comparison, and therefore there's no limit on the amount of times a Pokemon could potentially evolve.
    Okay take a look at Bulbasaur and the Ivysaur and Venusaur does that not suggest that evolution is purely growth.

Furthermore looking at Venusaur, who looks fully grown, how would it evolve, what would the evolution look like and lastly where would it stop?.

Lastly there are many other attributes that separate Pokemon and Digimon. If you think the three stages of evolution is the key thing that separates them you clearly don't know enough about either series.
    I am well aware the other factor that separates Digimon from Pokémon but the point is that multiples evolution is a core mechanic of the Digimon series as the Digimon evolute from a wild monster to a more human like monster.

As lastly not all pokémon are meant to strong, that is what gives pokémon its charm that not all pokémon are the same.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

It's in no way a "known fact". Please describe how a magnet mixing with other magnets has anything to do with a human being growing up? Evolution is just a transformation from a Pokemon's former state into something more powerful, or something with more ability to battle/survive. But like I said even if the assumption that Pokemon are based on the life cycle of man (which is a retarded assumption), there would still be no logic for limiting it to "three" stages seeing as there can be multiple different stages to the aging of a human being.
    You're right. It's not a known fact, and evolution doesn't directly represent the life cycles of "man". However, you can't simply say that it's a restarted assumption. Evolution often does represent maturing in general. For one, "younger" pokemon often look and act more infantile then their evolved forms. Sure, someone might find Blissey cute, but it you compare it to Chansy, which one looks younger? Then we've got the caterpillar lines, the Seismitoad line, and Politeod from Poliwhirl. Lilipup and Growlithe are also good examples, for clearly being puppies that eventually evolve into dogs. And, of course, pokemon breeders refer to training pokemon as raising them, which is also their excuse for battling you over and over again on B/W2.

And besides all that, running around telling people they're retarded is just plain rude. Rather they have reason to believe something or not doesn't justify anything.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 20th January 2013 at 2:02 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

i think it would be better to make more split evos and perhaps some more fusion evos. (you need 3 magnamite to make a magneton, and you need 1 mantyke and 1 remoraid to make aa mantine.)
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    i think it would be better to make more split evos and perhaps some more fusion evos. (you need 3 magnamite to make a magneton, and you need 1 mantyke and 1 remoraid to make aa mantine.)
    what fusion evos. are there atm? and why do you need a remoraid to turn a mantyke into a mantine?
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    what fusion evos. are there atm? and why do you need a remoraid to turn a mantyke into a mantine?
    http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/458.shtml
    you normaly have to have a remoraid in your party to evolve a mantyke into a mantine.
    and i feard someone mention pokemon fusions (i assume they were referring to black and white kyruem) and i thought it could be carried over to evolution.

...idk, just a personal opinion.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

4 times evolution is a bit too much. But I think it could work for pokemon that evolve fast and are considered weak even after third evo, like those bug pokemon.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037
    The Trinity League Poison Apprentice Master League Shadow Stars League Poison Leader
    PokeGyms Fairy Leader

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff
    Amount of real life time doesn't mean much when it comes to shiny hunting though.

you normaly have to have a remoraid in your party to evolve a mantyke into a mantine.
    and i feard someone mention pokemon fusions (i assume they were referring to black and white kyruem) and i thought it could be carried over to evolution.

Nah, that's not a fusion. The Mantyke and Remoraid aren't really fused; the Remoraid is just hitching a ride. Besides that, the Remoraid isn't actually lost from your party after that happens.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

DNA Digivolve to...okay seriously, let's drop this before we start slaughtering one another again.

Changes to base stats in the future? I don't know. I'm going to bring it up again the reception that the "nostalgic" fans gave the new evolutions of older Pokémon in generation 4. What's that? "Rhyperior looks ugly"? Well, just wait until you see it's much more powerful evolution!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I Have been thinking if they would ever get around to doing it for years, it would add a whole differenet level to the game play tcg wise and video game wise, idk we'll just have to see.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

kk that's cool
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast