Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 176

Thread: Should Pokemon eventually get 4 or 5 stages of Evolution?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    On the road to Viridian City
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    DOn't want it to turn like Digimon - they Digivolve up to 7 times, nya~
    And to think most people hate on Digimon because 'it's just like Pokemon' As for Digimon seven is fine because they don't stay in the forms and the digivolution process is a lot tougher then Pokemon evolution.

    Some things in Pokemon just have to stay linear throughout the series. Pokemon like Chansey and Roselia were just on their own when they were introduced, now they both have a baby form and an evolution. Three stage Pokemon are good enough, they don't need another one.



  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    We are talking about GameFreak here.Plus, what would happen to the RU,UU,NU tier if that happens.Adding 4th evolutions, would only cause Pokemon to crowd the OU tier.Adding a 4th evolution would also cause many Pokemon to evolve late.Yes, I do agree that many things can be implemented to make the game better but by adding 4th evolution it would not work.We are 6 gen in Pokemon and adding that drastic change would be like changing the type chart completely.
    Well to offer a solution for those problems - first, the fourth evolution can be made only to happen through trade with gen VI hold item eliminating the high level theory you and some others may have. secondly, perhaps it doesn't have to be a fourth evolution per se but a different third evolution. Personally I think sales would rocket for GameFreak if they introduced a separate different third evolution for ALL starter pokemon.

    For example: Imagine you migrate Squirtle to Pokemon X or Y, you evolve it to Wartortle then you find a special new hold item, lets call it "XY Baton" for now, and then if you trade it holding that item it evolves into "Carapoise", the Fire shell pokemon, making it not only a sweet optional evolution but adding a secondary type to the starter making it the first WATER/FIRE type pokemon. You can do the same with Charmeleon to Herbizard (FIRE/GRASS), and Ivysaur to Swampusaur (GRASS/WATER). You can do something similar with starter pokemon from all generations. It adds a new desirability to the starter pokemon (not that they aren't desired enough now). There are many ways they can play with this but to completely dismiss it is like dismissing eclairs and tiramisu simply because you have been used to twinkies and felt there was nothing wrong with them.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Even so it is proof that increasing stats drastically isn't the only way to evolve a Pokemon. Regardless of how many times it has evolved, there is always a way to evolve a Pokemon sensibly without it becoming overpowered.
    Appearance has everything to do with stats; that's why adult-like Pokemons are stronger than its most basic stage. Scytherr and Scizor were exceptions, therefore they are not standards you can use as example, and they're not in a 4 stage line either.

    In the end,... no, no and no! A thousand times no to a 4th stage. If you're not satisfied with some specific Pokemons, try catching others to replace them. As simple as that.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Incorrect. The pokémon stage goes like this.

    Basic---> 1st Stage--> 2nd Stage

    As you can see they evolve twice not three time, so yes your maths is wrong.



    Okay take a look at Bulbasaur and the Ivysaur and Venusaur does that not suggest that evolution is purely growth.

    Furthermore looking at Venusaur, who looks fully grown, how would it evolve, what would the evolution look like and lastly where would it stop?.



    I am well aware the other factor that separates Digimon from Pokémon but the point is that multiples evolution is a core mechanic of the Digimon series as the Digimon evolute from a wild monster to a more human like monster.


    As lastly not all pokémon are meant to strong, that is what gives pokémon its charm that not all pokémon are the same.
    It's nothing to do with maths, it's just a different way of wording it. You call the first stage basic, and I call it the first stage. This is a really insignificant point to be arguing about and it seems like you're just nitpicking.

    Bulbasaur eventually going into bloom is just one Pokemon. In no way does this mean ALL evolution is related to the way a human grows. There is no set standard that it has to follow. If you look at Pokemon like Remoraid turning into Octillery or Magikarp turning into Gyarados, it has nothing to do with "aging". It's a complete transformation. Further evolution doesn't happen over time, it happens due to levelling up or due to the use of an item which is further proof that it is a transformation rather than the Pokemon simply aging or growing up. Because evolution is based on transformation there is no limitation on how many times it could potentially transform, however as I've had to repeat multiple times, even if it WAS based on human aging, there are arguably more than just three stages. Pokemon like Piloswine looked fully grown until they transformed it into Mamoswine and the same applies with Magmar, Electabuzz and many others that were granted an evolution. It's not hard to simply add a new stage to an existing Pokemon, GameFreak have proven that they are capable of doing so, even when unexpected.

    Digimon evolving multiple times is a very weak argument for not implementing one additional stage of evolution in Pokemon. Also, nobody here mentioned making the Pokemon more human like. Besides this would only be one additional evolution for some Pokemon. It would in no way make Pokemon too much like Digimon.

    Lastly, there's nothing wrong with Pokemon being more useable. This would in no way make ALL Pokemon as strong as one another, it'd just be a way to improve certain Pokemon. It's silly to suggest that improving weak Pokemon would spoil the game. In fact, if people DID enjoy weak Pokemon, one solution would be to simply not evolve it, and keep it the way you prefer it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    You're right. It's not a known fact, and evolution doesn't directly represent the life cycles of "man". However, you can't simply say that it's a restarted assumption. Evolution often does represent maturing in general. For one, "younger" pokemon often look and act more infantile then their evolved forms. Sure, someone might find Blissey cute, but it you compare it to Chansy, which one looks younger? Then we've got the caterpillar lines, the Seismitoad line, and Politeod from Poliwhirl. Lilipup and Growlithe are also good examples, for clearly being puppies that eventually evolve into dogs. And, of course, pokemon breeders refer to training pokemon as raising them, which is also their excuse for battling you over and over again on B/W2.

    And besides all that, running around telling people they're retarded is just plain rude. Rather they have reason to believe something or not doesn't justify anything.
    Firstly, I called nobody retarded. There is a difference between saying a certain assumption is retarded than to saying a certain person is retarded. Furthermore, have you not been reading any of the responses here? Even if the assumption that Pokemon is based on the human life cycle was a fact, it's still stupid to think that somehow that is undeniable linked to the number three, seeing as there are not three set-in-stone stages of the human life cycle.

    Caterpillers turning into butterflies is nothing to do with age. It's a transformation that can happen once they've consumed enough sustenance. Furthermore a human being goes through no such drastic process to turn from one thing into another. To compare the two is strange. Humans start young and gradually grow bigger and stronger over time. Caterpillers eat and eat, and then undertake metamorphisis changing into something that looks entirely different. Tadpoles turning into frogs is also a transformation and is unlike the human aging process. Interestingly however, if you look at Poliwrath, despite being at the end of it's respective evolution line it is STILL not a full frog, so it goes to show that it's not just about the standard of things. Politoad may exist, but it was introduced an entire gen after, and it is its own evolutionary final stage, so it is still fully evolved.

    Anyway, the point is evolution in Pokemon is clearly not set to the standard of the human aging cycle, else ALL Pokemon would conform to this standard, and they'd likely all be human-shaped in some way. But the even bigger point here is that even if all Pokemon did conform to this standard, it wouldn't change anything because there being only three stages of that cycle is debatable. I noted five stages earlier.

    I hope I don't have to keep spelling this out, it's really not that hard to grasp, and fourth evolutions really aren't as drastic as people are making out. People just aren't good at accepting change unless they have to e.g. GameFreak actually implements a new idea whether people like it or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    DOn't want it to turn like Digimon - they Digivolve up to 7 times, nya~
    One additional evolution being compared to seven stages of evolution is exaggerating things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Appearance has everything to do with stats; that's why adult-like Pokemons are stronger than its most basic stage. Scytherr and Scizor were exceptions, therefore they are not standards you can use as example, and they're not in a 4 stage line either.

    In the end,... no, no and no! A thousand times no to a 4th stage. If you're not satisfied with some specific Pokemons, try catching others to replace them. As simple as that.
    Maybe in your black and white view of how things work evolution would only be about increasing stats, but in a more open minded world where people can actually think outside the norm, it is definitely possible to evolve a Pokemon without a heavy focus on stats. Sure, in some cases a Pokemon may need it, e.g. if butterfree has awful base stats, impoving them won't hurt or even make them overpowered. However in other cases there could be alternate ways of evolving a Pokemon.

    Scyther and Scizor do NOT conform to the standard. Well done, that's your first sensible point. However This very fact proves that the standard has ALREADY been broken, and that there is no set of defined rules that the game MUST follow. The possibilities of what GameFreak can do with their own game is limitless. They're no just gonna sit there and be like "oh, well we've never done this before so I guess we can't do it now". And well done once again, they are NOT a 4th stage evolution, but that was never the claim. The fact is, they are proof that there are other ways of evolving a Pokemon than just changing stats drastically, and are proof that this could definitely work on a 4th stage evolution. You're acting as if it would be impossible to evolve a Pokemon without conforming to the generic "raise all stats a lot" method, but that's a limitation of your own mindset, not of this idea.

    And you last statement is pretty naive. Obviously people already catch Pokemon in place of the weaker ones that they aren't satisfied with. the point of this idea is to make said weaker Pokemon more useable to give players more of a variety to choose from.

    A better idea: Improve weaker Pokemon, and if YOU don't like the idea of a 4th evolution then simply don't evolve or use the Pokemon that the idea would be implemented on. Everyone is happy that way, people who want can use the improved Pokemon, and those who dislike it can simply choose not to evolve them.

    Anyway this thread simple looks at the idea of a 4th evolution and whether we have our own opinions of whether we would like the idea or not, it's undeniable that this is definitely and idea that could work even if people's personal preferences clash with it. It is possible to do this without overpowering Pokemon or ruining the game in anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    623

    Default

    What bout just for those that third form isn't that strong the likes of butterfree for example could be given another one but not someone like Dragonite or a starter Pokemon, we can maybe get one introduced this sixth gen, people might complain about it but for everyone who complains there will be one who is in favor of it

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Firstly, I called nobody retarded. There is a difference between saying a certain assumption is retarded than to saying a certain person is retarded.
    Argue with me about that all you want, but that doesn't mean it wasn't just plain rude.

    You know, it's possible to be civil on the internet. Most people just refuse to accept that.
    Furthermore, have you not been reading any of the responses here? Even if the assumption that Pokemon is based on the human life cycle was a fact, it's still stupid to think that somehow that is undeniable linked to the number three, seeing as there are not three set-in-stone stages of the human life cycle.

    Caterpillers turning into butterflies is nothing to do with age. It's a transformation that can happen once they've consumed enough sustenance. Furthermore a human being goes through no such drastic process to turn from one thing into another. To compare the two is strange. Humans start young and gradually grow bigger and stronger over time. Caterpillers eat and eat, and then undertake metamorphisis changing into something that looks entirely different. Tadpoles turning into frogs is also a transformation and is unlike the human aging process. Interestingly however, if you look at Poliwrath, despite being at the end of it's respective evolution line it is STILL not a full frog, so it goes to show that it's not just about the standard of things. Politoad may exist, but it was introduced an entire gen after, and it is its own evolutionary final stage, so it is still fully evolved.

    Anyway, the point is evolution in Pokemon is clearly not set to the standard of the human aging cycle, else ALL Pokemon would conform to this standard, and they'd likely all be human-shaped in some way. But the even bigger point here is that even if all Pokemon did conform to this standard, it wouldn't change anything because there being only three stages of that cycle is debatable. I noted five stages earlier.
    I wasn't arguing that pokemon were based on the human life cycle, I was arguing that pokemon often appear to mature as they evolve, which means that assuming that it was based on the human life cycle actually wasn't as dumb as you were making it out to be.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Please stop arguing guys, Digimon and Pokemon are different, different ideas, different storyboard, etc. I loved both animes in my childhood because were simply different. I don't like when 2 animes starts to mix together and be alike. IMO Pokemon are great with only 3 evolution since they started, they don't need to make so overpower like Arceus, the one who suppose did the Sinnoh Region. adding a 4th evolution to pokemon will be a bad idea, because it will mess up the base stats between the legendaries and non-legendaries, which means legendaries will have less sense of catching them. I'm just saying what i think, and what I expect to happen.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!



    FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Similar to the transition between Scyther and Scizor, the main argument I see for a fourth-stage Pokemon in a line whose third stage is already very powerful is that they would have their base stats distributed differently rather than increased to fit the more mature Pokemon. However, Scyther and Scizor are the sole exception to the norm. In pretty much every other transition from a lower-stage to a higher-stage Pokemon, a Pokemon's base stat total increases.

    Because Scyther and Scizor are an exception, it should not be used as the sole example of what a transition between the third and fourth stages of a Pokemon should be. It doesn't make sense that the transitions between the first and second and second and third stages of a Pokemon yield base stat increases, yet the transition between the third and fourth yield only base stat redistribution. This seemingly random inconsistency between the third and fourth stages of an evolutionary line says something about the third stage: specifically, it says that the third stage is already good enough for these evolutionary lines.

    In other words, if the vast majority of evolution from one Pokemon to another involves the growth of base stat totals, then it should be the same for the evolution between the third stage and the fourth stage, no matter how powerful the third stage already is.

    But at the same time, by giving only Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff a fourth stage, the fourth stage would exist solely to make them better; the fourth stage would be done out of pity rather than for legitimate design purposes. And the three or four generations after they were introduced show that Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff are perfectly fine with just three stages in their evolutionary line.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Personally I don't like the idea for old times sake. But it could work well on pokemon with weak 3rd stage evolutions eg Butterfree, Unfezant etc.
    1st X run:

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Pokemon has the worst fans. they all want everything to be the same. when the sprites were taken out in gen 6 people complained. its time for a change, no? maybe having a 4th evo for the weaker pokemon would work. we cant know how itll end up until its done. i for one would love to see something like this seeing as how itd add something new to the game and make it fun. even if it doesnt work well. its all about taking chances. and if this does happen and you dont like it, dont play that game.
    3DS FC: 5086-1034-2659
    PM me if you want to add me.


    Current obsession: Pokemon X

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Default

    A bunch of reasons why they will not add a 4th stage in evolution lines:

    1) A standard since Gen I is 3 stages.

    2) Stats issues. Some Pokemon would get overpowered.

    3) This is one of the basic differences between Pokemon and Digimon.

    4) Apperance issues. Some Pokemons cannot become more adult-like as they already are.

    5) Because of number #2, legendaries would become less attractive.

    6) Reaching the final stage would require more time because of collecting experience and high level.

    Above all, number #1 is enough. Nuff said.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hyrule, Kakariko Village
    Posts
    998

    Default

    I think that it won't be made, but I would want a 4th evo. Come on you guys, you excpect Raichu to never get a 4th evo? Like, Professor Willow discovers it in the 12th gen? LOL. Anyway, here are some Pokes that need a 4th Evo.

    - Raichu
    - Roserade
    - Dragonite
    - Leavanny
    - Pidgeott
    - Walrein (oh yeah!)
    - Starters (never happen but would be cool.Don't want this, just wanna see what theywould be. Ya' know?)

    Yerp.


    Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

    Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    I think that it won't be made, but I would want a 4th evo. Come on you guys, you excpect Raichu to never get a 4th evo? Like, Professor Willow discovers it in the 12th gen? LOL. Anyway, here are some Pokes that need a 4th Evo.

    - Raichu
    - Roserade
    - Dragonite
    - Leavanny
    - Pidgeott
    - Walrein (oh yeah!)
    - Starters (never happen but would be cool.Don't want this, just wanna see what theywould be. Ya' know?)

    Yerp.
    Dragonite doesnt need a 4th evo O.o
    3DS FC: 5086-1034-2659
    PM me if you want to add me.


    Current obsession: Pokemon X

  14. #64
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States, East Coast
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoiPad View Post
    We are talking about GameFreak here.Plus, what would happen to the RU,UU,NU tier if that happens.Adding 4th evolutions, would only cause Pokemon to crowd the OU tier.Adding a 4th evolution would also cause many Pokemon to evolve late.Yes, I do agree that many things can be implemented to make the game better but by adding 4th evolution it would not work.We are 6 gen in Pokemon and adding that drastic change would be like changing the type chart completely.
    Those tiers are fan-made.
    GameFreak doesn't give two craps about Smogon.

    I say that a 4th evolution is a grand idea for SOME Pokemon, and we all know that only SOME Pokemon would receive one.

    Jeebus people.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    I think that it won't be made, but I would want a 4th evo. Come on you guys, you excpect Raichu to never get a 4th evo? Like, Professor Willow discovers it in the 12th gen? LOL. Anyway, here are some Pokes that need a 4th Evo.

    - Raichu
    - Roserade
    - Dragonite
    - Leavanny
    - Pidgeott
    - Walrein (oh yeah!)
    - Starters (never happen but would be cool.Don't want this, just wanna see what theywould be. Ya' know?)

    Yerp.
    Except none of them need a 4th stage/3rd evolution .

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Hyrule, Kakariko Village
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Except none of them need a 4th stage/3rd evolution .
    ?

    Uhh... It's entirely opinion, so.


    Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

    Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    155

    Default

    There's not really need to a 4th evolution. I mean, 3 is a great number. With 3 stages you can make a small/weak one, a kinda strong/medium-sized one and a strong/big one. A fourth evolution would turn all this upside down, and no current 3-stage evolution Pokémon needs a new evolution
    Friend Safari
    Type: Poison
    Pokémon: Venomoth, Gloom, Drapion
    FC: 3969-5407-3750
    If you add me, please PM me so I can add you back

  18. #68
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States, East Coast
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    ?

    Uhh... It's entirely opinion, so.
    He's talking stat-wise.
    Pidgeot could prolly get a 4th evo and not be TOO overpowered, though...
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Uhh... It's entirely opinion, so.
    Uh, no, it is not. No Pokémon needs a 4th evolutionary stage and I believe the reasons were already listed in the four pages of this thread.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    my secret lair
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    i'd have to say that ftm i don't think there will be any 4th evolution for quite a while if ever.The reason i don't think there will be one is that one of the purposes of many additional cross gen evolution is to have some conection to previous gens.Given that there is so many preevos that could still occur it seems unlikely to me that they'll add a 4th evo to any existing pokemon given that even from the first gen there are still several pokemon they could give pre-evolutions to such as tauros,doduo,slowpoke,scyther,and onix and a few pokemon who could get evos.A 4th evo seems too drastic a change when there are easier options. i suppose it's possibile they might in the future but i think it's a long way off.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Stats and technical stuff aside I'd love to see a 4th evolution of the 3 gen 1 starters just out of weird curiosity. I KNOW, thousands of reasons why it wouldn't happen and can't I'm just saying that would be damn interesting.
    looking for any legit mew or jirachi :3 offering the event keldeo or legendaries found in white 2 ^_^


  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    A bunch of reasons why they will not add a 4th stage in evolution lines:

    1) A standard since Gen I is 3 stages.

    2) Stats issues. Some Pokemon would get overpowered.

    3) This is one of the basic differences between Pokemon and Digimon.

    4) Apperance issues. Some Pokemons cannot become more adult-like as they already are.

    5) Because of number #2, legendaries would become less attractive.

    6) Reaching the final stage would require more time because of collecting experience and high level.

    Above all, number #1 is enough. Nuff said.
    1) So...? Changes to the standards of the games so far can happen and have happened before. Example - Victini being first in Pokédex out of all Unova Pokémon instead of the grass-type starter. Just because something is a standard so far doesn't mean it can't change or be altered at all.

    2 and 4) As the OP stated, not ALL Pokémon would get a 4th stage. Pokémon such as Dragonite or Conkeldurr which fit the "too overpowered/adult looking" criteria of yours, would be extremely unlikely to get 4th stage evolutions, yet weaker Pokémon, such as the OP's example of Beedrill, could easily get a 4th stage and not be too overpowered. This also counters point 5.

    3)I'm pretty sure "being slightly more like Digimon" is the least of GameFreak's concerns, especially since there is much more than more evolutions seperating the two series.

    6) Again, it would depend on the Pokémon. Some Pokémon such as Volcarona and Dragonite already evolve at a high level and therefore require more time to train and evolve. And, as with points 2 and 4 these Pokémon would also be very unlikely to get more evolutions. Using the example of Beedrill again - Kakuna evolves into Beedrill at level 10. This makes it very plausible that if 4th stages were to be added, Beedrill could get a 4th stage, and it could reach that stage at a lower level than some Pokémon reach their 3rd or even 2nd stages.

    All in all, your points seem reliant on assumptions that
    A) GameFreak won't alter something just because so far it's standard
    B) Already-powerful Pokémon would get a 4th stage and become overpowered if this was implemented

    ---

    However, having said all of this, I personally wouldn't like to see this feature implemented. I think a limit of three stages per evolution family is enough. It could happen, though.
    Latest Shiny (SS):

        Spoiler:- Shinies:

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Island
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Argue with me about that all you want, but that doesn't mean it wasn't just plain rude.

    You know, it's possible to be civil on the internet. Most people just refuse to accept that.
    I wasn't arguing that pokemon were based on the human life cycle, I was arguing that pokemon often appear to mature as they evolve, which means that assuming that it was based on the human life cycle actually wasn't as dumb as you were making it out to be.
    You may have taken it to be rude due to your misunderstanding of how it was worded, but to be honest I don't actually care. If people are that sensitive they shouldn't be on the internet at all.

    Maturity doesn't necessarily mean it's based on the human life cycle. I've already given tonnes of examples that contradict this theory. Mageton does not look more mature, it's just two extra magnets. Size and power is not always to do with maturity. The fact is, evolution is a metamorphisis, not aging. And the real argument here, is that the human life cycle does not limit this idea in ANY way, as shown in previous posts.


    Quote Originally Posted by virizionx86 View Post
    Similar to the transition between Scyther and Scizor, the main argument I see for a fourth-stage Pokemon in a line whose third stage is already very powerful is that they would have their base stats distributed differently rather than increased to fit the more mature Pokemon. However, Scyther and Scizor are the sole exception to the norm. In pretty much every other transition from a lower-stage to a higher-stage Pokemon, a Pokemon's base stat total increases.

    Because Scyther and Scizor are an exception, it should not be used as the sole example of what a transition between the third and fourth stages of a Pokemon should be. It doesn't make sense that the transitions between the first and second and second and third stages of a Pokemon yield base stat increases, yet the transition between the third and fourth yield only base stat redistribution. This seemingly random inconsistency between the third and fourth stages of an evolutionary line says something about the third stage: specifically, it says that the third stage is already good enough for these evolutionary lines.

    In other words, if the vast majority of evolution from one Pokemon to another involves the growth of base stat totals, then it should be the same for the evolution between the third stage and the fourth stage, no matter how powerful the third stage already is.

    But at the same time, by giving only Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff a fourth stage, the fourth stage would exist solely to make them better; the fourth stage would be done out of pity rather than for legitimate design purposes. And the three or four generations after they were introduced show that Pokemon like Wigglytuff and Jumpluff are perfectly fine with just three stages in their evolutionary line.
    Scyther and Scizor is proof that the idea is POSSIBLE. It proves that there is no standard that MUST be folowed. GameFreak can change things when and if they please. Furthermore there are other Pokemon, e.g. Porygon 2 and Porygon Z in which the stats increase only a little but are redistrubuted into different areas giving them different purposes. It's very narrow minded to think that drastically increasing stats is the ONLY way to implement this idea.

    No. In many cases the third stage is still weak, and therefore it would be beneficial to give it a fourth stage. In fact, even using the logic of everyone here that "omg evolution can only be done by increasing stats", SOME Pokemon wouldn't even become overpowered this way e.g. Beedrill. Your mind clearly isn't open to the idea of change if you think that everything in life must keep to the standard it has already been.

    Your argument that "In other words, if the vast majority of evolution from one Pokemon to another involves the growth of base stat totals, then it should be the same for the evolution between the third stage and the fourth stage, no matter how powerful the third stage already is." is flawed, because you're suggesting that a Pokemon would HAVE to be overpowered just because in many cases evolution increases base stats drastically. Like I've mentioned A THOUSAND times, there are other ways to maintain the balance of the game. You just can't seem to grasp these concepts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    A bunch of reasons why they will not add a 4th stage in evolution lines:

    1) A standard since Gen I is 3 stages.

    2) Stats issues. Some Pokemon would get overpowered.

    3) This is one of the basic differences between Pokemon and Digimon.

    4) Apperance issues. Some Pokemons cannot become more adult-like as they already are.

    5) Because of number #2, legendaries would become less attractive.

    6) Reaching the final stage would require more time because of collecting experience and high level.

    Above all, number #1 is enough. Nuff said.
    1. Standards are constantly broken. The standard until the fourth gen was the fire was always special. After the special/physical split this standard was broken. Using your logic, no change should ever be implemented ever, because it would be different to what was there originally. This kind of logic is stupid and greatly reduces the scope of potential improvements that the games could ever have.

    2. Already countered SO many times, but it's clear people have trouble reading. STATS IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO EVOLVE A POKEMON. IT IS POSSIBLE TO STAY BALANCED. And in some cases, increasing stats would simply make them DECENT not overpowered. E.g. Beedrill. Seriously, it's amazing I have to spell this out like this.

    3. Already countered again. See previous posts on why this would in NO way make Pokemon to similar to Digimon.

    4. Again, already countered. Piloswine, Electabuzz and Magmar are proof that you can easily add to an already adult looking Pokemon.

    5. Already countered. Making more Pokemon useable would have no affect on legendaries. The only way legendaries would become redundant is by applying your retarded logic that a 4th evolution MUST make a pokemon overpowered. Luckily your view is just a misunderstanding of how this idea could work.

    6. Already countered. There are other ways than levelling up to evolve a Pokemon, and Diamond and Pearl proved this when adding new evolutions. In fact, no new evolution has been SOLELY by levelling.

    You entire post is proof that you're: A) unable to read and comprehend other posts before deciding to post your own opinion B) You enjoy repeating the same things rather than actually countering someone directly.

    Unless you can bring something new to the table, there's really no point in you repeating the same things OVER and OVER. It leads to circular arguments, seeing as I then have to direct you to what has already been said that counters your points.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zecaomes View Post
    There's not really need to a 4th evolution. I mean, 3 is a great number. With 3 stages you can make a small/weak one, a kinda strong/medium-sized one and a strong/big one. A fourth evolution would turn all this upside down, and no current 3-stage evolution Pokémon needs a new evolution
    That's a really flimsy argument. Your way of thinking is really black and white if you think that three is that only number of stages that would work. And I can name loads of Pokemon that could benefit from a fourth evolution, many of which have been mentioned e.g. Beedrill, Wigglytuff, Dustox, even Exploud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

    Uh, no, it is not. No Pokémon needs a 4th evolutionary stage and I believe the reasons were already listed in the four pages of this thread.
    LOL wow. You seem to have misinterpreted your opinion as a fact. There are plenty of Pokemon that could do with a 4th evolutionary stage, and I haven't seen ANY good reason as to why not that hasn't already been countered multiple times. If you're so sure, bring up one of these so called reasons, and for all our sakes make sure it's one that hasn't already been countered, because it's tiring having to repeat things to people who don't read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

    3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    265

    Default

    To all of the people who are assuming that a 4th evolution has to make every Pokémon who undergoes it overpowered, let's take a look at this in practice.

    Beedril has the following base stats.

    HP: 65
    Atk: 80
    Def: 40
    SpA: 45
    SpD: 80
    Spe: 75

    Base stat total: 385

    All of them are subpar by anyone's standards, but for a stage 3 Pokémon? They're awful. A base stat total of 385 is lower than even Wartortle, a 2nd stage Pokémon that sits at a BST of 405. After evolving into Blastoise (a Pokémon who is average, but useable), it gets a BST of 530. Let's say that the 4th stage is not focused on increasing base stats as drastically as other stages. Let's see how Beedril could be improved using this method without becoming overpowered.

    BEEDRILL
    Poison/Bug --> Dark/Bug

    HP: 65 --> HP: 95
    Atk: 80 --> Atk: 120
    Def: 40 --> Def: 70
    SpA: 45 --> SpA: 30
    SpD: 80 --> SpD: 80
    Spe: 75 --> Spe: 90
    BST: 385 --> BST: 485

    After gaining a new Type, it now has a chance against Psychic types, who could previously OHKO it easily due to poor defenses and redundant Poison typing.

    Beedril previously had access to several support moves including Toxic Spikes and Knock Off. Now, with its increased bulk, it can use those more effectively.

    Its Special Attack has been reduced, as it has a virtually non-existant special movepool, and its Attack and Speed have been increased to give it more potency as a sweeper.

    This is all done without overpowering it, as it only has 1 stat above base 100, yet it increases its overall usefulness tenfold, without even taking into consideration the benefits of extra movepool and new abilities brought on by a 4th stage.

    In summary, not every Pokémon needs a 4th stage, but some could definitely make good use of them.
    Last edited by Yami_Wheeler; 22nd January 2013 at 6:32 PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Also, Yami, about the whole "no opinions and we're all selfish and disrespectful" crap? I only got this to say: Welcome to serebii.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    630

    Default

    I used to think that legendary pokémon are 4th evolutions.

    Just like how the human's evolved.
    Some Animal -> Ape -> Human -> Gods

    So no no... 4th evolution not here.



    ~ | Latest shiny: Alpha Sapphire| ~

    ~ | Friendscode X & Y: 3196-4085-3103 | ~

    ~ | Living Pokédex: 719/721 | ~

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •