Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you find Ash's earliest English Voice in the Kanto saga a bit...well...

Default Do you find Ash's earliest English Voice in the Kanto saga a bit...well...

Okay I was watching the Pokémon Kanto saga DVD collection to help spice up my Pokémon mania on the original Pokémon Red gameplay for the Gen VI anticipation ritual from playing one game from Gen I to Gen V retracing how the Pokémon games evolved... well you get the idea by the looks on my signature. but enough Gen Play talk, while I was watching the Season One episodes with finishing Pokémon Emergency and Ash catches a Pokémon, I find Ash's 4kids voice in the early episodes a bit quite odd in comparison with his other voices during the 4kids era, I mean looking back at Ash's old Season One voice... he sounds like a noob back in his early days as a Novice Trainer! Not to mention that Jame's & Meowth's (Well this was before Maddie voiced Meowth) was a bit odd when you look back at them!
    Do you guys find Ash's old voice in the early Kanto episodes pretty odd now compare to his newer 4kids era seasons Voice?

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

Quote Originally Posted by Arceusgamer14 View Post
    Okay I was watching the Pokémon Kanto saga DVD collection to help spice up my Pokémon mania on the original Pokémon Red gameplay for the Gen VI anticipation ritual from playing one game from Gen I to Gen V retracing how the Pokémon games evolved... well you get the idea by the looks on my signature. but enough Gen Play talk, while I was watching the Season One episodes with finishing Pokémon Emergency and Ash catches a Pokémon, I find Ash's 4kids voice in the early episodes a bit quite odd in comparison with his other voices during the 4kids era, I mean looking back at Ash's old Season One voice... he sounds like a noob back in his early days as a Novice Trainer! Not to mention that Jame's & Meowth's (Well this was before Maddie voiced Meowth) was a bit odd when you look back at them!
    Do you guys find Ash's old voice in the early Kanto episodes pretty odd now compare to his newer 4kids era seasons Voice?
    Veronica was only 18 when she started voicing Ash in Kanto, the same age as Sarah in Battle Frontier.

I can't hear a difference Veronica to me at least sounded the same thought the whole first 8 seasons. I even tried watching early Kanto and AG and my ears can't hear a change compared to let'
    s say Dan green as Yugi's change

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Veronica was only 18 when she started voicing Ash in Kanto, the same age as Sarah in Battle Frontier.
    Oh jeez she is like 36 now. Wow the series is old lol

I noticed a change, but I felt like it made Ash even more of a character. Veronica grew into playing him, and it was amazing because when she got better at the part Ash was maturing as a trainer, and it really showed some good characterization for me.

I'm really weird though, so... xD

Yes, it was definitely a little different during the early Kanto, not just because Veronica was still fitting in her role, but the voice directors were still deciding how they wanted it. I agree with Silver though, it somehow makes sense character-wise. TRio took some time as well. Rachael had Misty more or less figured out from the start. Brock's wasn't quite himself until after his debut episode, but he was of course a super serious gym leader until leaving with Ash, allowing Eric to open him up a bit more.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

Wow. Sarah and Veronica were both 18 when they first voiced Ash? I never knew that.

It does sound weird (compared to how he would sound later on), but still sounds better than Sarah's voice...okay, you saw this one coming XP

O_O Holy cow, really? *mind blown*

Anyway, I have noticed the gruffness of Ash's voice in the earlier episodes, but honestly, they were still growing into their parts (and I realize now I'm just parroting Silver here). It'd be obvious that over time, when they got more and more comfortable and familiar with their characters, their tone of voice would change over time. It honestly feels a bit realistic to me when it's a gradual change in tone of voice because it gives the illusion of growing up... in a way. It's possible 4KIDS thought there was only going to be one season as well, so the whole "voices changing over time" made a lot of sense because the characters were growing up.

Sure didn't last long, though.

James had a different voice for the first several episodes, right? Eventually Eric Stuart got a hold of him I think right before the episode when he got the Magikarp (I remember he started sounding really campy by that time). So quite a few characters had voice changes during the first season.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

veronica sounded a bit forced in the beginning. she dubbed the first episode and then she was fired and then they again called her back and they redubbed the first episode. her voice felt more comfortable after a few episodes. she then settled down to ash voice. she said that ash was her hardest role as she had to learn not to hurt her throat while doing his voice.

Veronica was just voicing a new character just as anybody else would - go with what you started, and keep on building it and building it. I think Veronica was a master at voicing Ash Ketchum and she kept getting better and better. One of the reasons the Hoenn Saga was my favorite was due to how amazing the Ash Ketchum voice had become. My sister (who had stopped watching Pokemon long ago) once asked me if Ash's voice had changed due to how different it sounded from Kanto.

I really wish Veronica, if nobody else, had stayed when 4Kids lost the anime. It truly wasn't the same without her at the helm. I never could get into watching the dub starting with the Diamond/Pearl Saga all thanks to the new Ash voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed
    Really? I didn't think voice actors start their careers at such a young age. Would have thought she'd be at least 23 or something.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets

At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Wow it was amazing how Veronica matured Ash's voice when they got to AG where he is now a Rookie Trainer compare to May when she started her adventure.

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

Describe it, go into more detail. I'm pretty sure that 'noobs' don't have specific accents.

Definitely. Veronica's voice in the first say 14 eps or so was off and forced, but by eps 15 onwards she really got into the character and nailed all of Ash's aspects, IMO. Veronica's voice changed greatly (and IMO, for the better) throughout the series.

My favorite voice in the dub for Ash is now her AG voice. Very mature sounding, yet cute, yet also endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios* View Post
    Yes, it was definitely a little different during the early Kanto, not just because Veronica was still fitting in her role, but the voice directors were still deciding how they wanted it. I agree with Silver though, it somehow makes sense character-wise. TRio took some time as well. Rachael had Misty more or less figured out from the start. Brock's wasn't quite himself until after his debut episode, but he was of course a super serious gym leader until leaving with Ash, allowing Eric to open him up a bit more.
    Nathan Price was a good Meowth, actually, speaking of that. Just awkward. He showed promise, though. I liked his work.

Ted Lewis was good as James as well.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 2nd February 2013 at 1:13 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

to be honest i kinda liked veronica's early ash.. it sounded more like a boy.

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Ash's voice in A/G was so...relaxing to listen to. That may not make sense, but Veronica's voice in the latter half of her association with Pokemon just felt like home to me.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Veronica did force Ash's voice way too much at first. She sounded like the stereotypical "female-tries-too-hard-to-sound-manly" voice. Later on, though, her Ash sounded more like a preteen boy and fit him better.

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    Veronica did force Ash's voice way too much at first. She sounded like the stereotypical "female-tries-too-hard-to-sound-manly" voice. Later on, though, her Ash sounded more like a preteen boy and fit him better.
    I agree... It did seem more forced in the beginning, but there was still plenty of expression, and again, characterization that it wasn't a big deal. xD

Are you serious Cyber? Woah, that's really surprising, they've both started off young.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

he sounds like such a ****** in the newer episodes

I think everyone just needed to get used to voicing the characters. I'm guessing Veronica wasn't used to being Ash, but when she grew into it, she sounded better. A lot of shows are like that - in the oldest episodes of Rugrats, Tommy and Angelica sound different than they do in the rest of the series, even though they kept the same voice actors for the entire run. It's especially true if the voice actor starts young. And like you said, Veronica was 18 when she started. Voices do change even in adulthood. My dad sounds a little different now than he did 15 years ago.

I don't think it sounds... weird... (Well, I'm thinking of, like, the first 15 episodes), but I do feel the boy voice is somewhat forced there. I still like how it sounded in the 20s and 30s, and I guess 40s of the original series- I'm too lazy to check. That's when I preferred it the most. That's probably why when the voice switch from 4Kids to TPCI was expected to happen, years later, I wasn't initially upset that Ash was getting a new person to voice him.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    That's exactly how I feel. To be fair, the current VAs have also improved as did the former ones, but I don't see a contest between the two sets. I'd rather all of them back than the current ones.

I was never so annoyed by the former VAs as I have been with the current ones. I can't even go back and re-watch DP because of the voice acting. -_-
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 11th February 2013 at 2:46 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Everyone sounds off in very early Kanto, and yes I'm aware James and Meowth had different VA's in the beginning.

Early Kanto Misty is just as rough, she really sounds very little of what Misty's standard voice is for late Kanto through her final appearance back in 2005. You'll notice it in Jessie as well, and it makes sense as they're voiced by the same person.

Like everyone said in the topic every actor needs to get used to voicing the character before they find that certain pitch that just clicks with the series. This doesn't just pertain to Pokemon it pertains to every series. For example I am a huge fan of Batman: The Animated series from the 90s and I have always associated Kevin Conroy's voice with the character. He was actually the 1st guy to make Bruce Wayne and Batman have 2 separate voice pitches which would later influence other actors who portrayed the character. However if you watch any episode of the 1st Season you will notice easily his voice doesn't sound nowhere near as good as it does now. That's because he only got better with experience. He still voices Bruce Wayne/Batman in DC animated movies and the Batman Arkham games so you can look to those for further reference.

To be honest this has been rather obvious to me for years.

Ash sounded pretty good considering he's supposed to be a 10 year old brat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast