Thread: For those who watch Long runners, Why do you still watch them?

Default For those who watch Long runners, Why do you still watch them?

Though it's kinda of a weird topic but I'm curious

I used to watch long-running shounen (Bleach, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!) when I was more naive. I don't anymore.

Except Hunter x Hunter and Space Brothers because they're great.

The main reason I'm still watching Naruto is because I've watched it this far, dropping it now would seem like a waste.

Gintama is great, easily the best long running shounen going around, Hunter x Hunter not far behind, though it will be interesting to see if it maintains the same quality for over 250 episodes the way Gintama has.

Uchuu Kyoudai is simply amazing.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I just watch pokemon nowadays because it's convenient. I don't have the patience to go look for other probably higher quality animes on the internet.

only long runner i watch is One piece and naruto, and i guess fairy tail if thats a long runner right now? i just watch them cause i got this far already might as well keep watching

It's either I manage to get this far and stopping right now would be a waste or I want to see the ending.

I dropped Shippuden after 100+ episodes though.

The only long running anime I watch are One Piece/Pokemon and every once in a while Naruto shippuden {The fillers suck though and they happen so often so its hard for me to keep watching, if they need that much time just add in more fights for other characters that the manga should have had. } Oh I also watch Fairy Tail, does that one count? I'm starting to give short lived anime a chance too but I don't have that much time on my hands these days =/

I watch One Piece cuz I adore the characters and the action/battles can be fun and some times the anime can do things the manga can't. Pokemon, mostly for Ash since the Kanto days. Fairy Tail has become pretty good and if it keeps up this way I might continue.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I used to watch long-running shounen (Bleach, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!) when I was more naive. I don't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    The main reason I'm still watching Naruto is because I've watched it this far, dropping it now would seem like a waste.

Gintama is great, easily the best long running shounen going around, Hunter x Hunter not far behind, though it will be interesting to see if it maintains the same quality for over 250 episodes the way Gintama has.

Uchuu Kyoudai is simply amazing.
    My reason is kinda of a combination of these. I use to watch long runners 100+ eps, activly when I was younger and didn't have acess to the streaming, but it would seem like a waste to just a show after watching 400+ episodes(Naruto). I don't even watch it unless i'm really bored though.

i watch one piece simply because i find it enjoyable and it's one of the few anime i could watch for hours without getting bored. idk it's really the same as watching the shows on fox or something.

“... even if the world line changes, as long as you don't forget me, i'm there.”
    myanimelist || hummingbird || vndb || tumblr || last.fm

I watch long runners to see how they may end, and because I made it this far.

I don't care what you think, I'm still watching Naruto Shippuden, I've watched it from the beginning and have read most of the manga, so why not. I finished bleach a while ago, the ending was kinda weird yet it was fitting.

I'll be hoenst and say its because I get attached to the franchise and its characters, no matter how stupid it seems. I kind of just want to watch naruto go through all his **** just because its naruto. .-...Long runners have a tendency to be a very good distracter from life. They are usually the ones, even if the story makes little sense, that have the biggest or most expanded world. And I guess I feel comforted by that.

I read Naruto and bleach when i was younger, but not one piece despite the fact I think I'd like the best out of the three nowadays. Why? I have no idea why, all I know is that now I don't have the time to read that many chapters of One piece, despite the fact that I'd think I'd like it better then both naruto and bleach. /random rant of the day.

Point and case, you kind of grow attached, or at the very least, used to the show being on the air. And unless something happens that's so bad it destroys my interest in the series...(which hasn't happened once yet) I'll likely keep watching it. After all, the show is for entertainment value and emotional response. If I'm attached to the characters, I'm going to feel emotion for them despite the "horrible" execution of the story.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

The reasons vary.

I watched a lot of Dragonball Z because it was one of those things that I tuned into every day on Toonami. It felt really expansive and epic at the time.

I watched Pokémon because I love the games, and I love seeing the Pokémon, the rivalries and the battles brought to life through anime. Perhaps it's gotten stale for me now, though, because I didn't really enjoy what I saw of Black & White.

I watched One Piece because, like Dragonball Z, it felt huge and epic, and it also had this feeling of a long but incredible journey. The pace has gotten much slower where I put it on hold (episode 520), and I found it too boring to watch an episode per week where hardly anything happened. I can see myself marathoning loads of episodes at once later on, though - I find it more manageable that way.

Unfortunately, it's rare that a series manages to feel like it's not being dragged out while going above 100 episodes. But hey, depending on how long Hunter x Hunter and Space Brothers go on for, I may just have a new reason for watching a long anime in a year or so!
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Oh yes DBZ of course, I've seen every episode of every series and every movie, it's just one of those things that throws you back into your childhood. My friends and I would talk about it everyday during lunch, such good times. I watched One Piece while it was on CN, but I haven't followed it any further, it was good at the time, but I didn't really feel like pursuing it. I still watch Yu-gi-oh!, I haven't ever missed an episode, so why start now, plus I have 2000+ cards.

Bleach dragged on a bit but the last story arc was pretty much the best out of all of them, so I guess it was worth watching to that point. I gave Naruto a try to see what everyone was on about, and thought it was fairly average up to shippuden, where it at least got interesting enough to keep me hooked. Dragonball/Z/GT because once you finish the first series you reeeeeally want to watch more, GT ended up a dissapointment though.

And One Piece, because it was genuinely good, and still is. They manage to introduce new fighting techniques and they are planet destroying powerful like in DBZ. The fights dont last for 20 episodes either, only like 10.

And Fairy Tail, because its basically the same thing as One Piece but with wizards instead of pirates.

White 2 FC; 2581 1988 8070

Because I enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by Aschur View Post
    And One Piece, because it was genuinely good, and still is. They manage to introduce new fighting techniques and they are planet destroying powerful like in DBZ. The fights dont last for 20 episodes either, only like 10.
    If only most anime could have fights that short! You've got to admire the self-restraint necessary to constrain a fight to ten measly episodes.
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightydoof View Post
    If only most anime could have fights that short! You've got to admire the self-restraint necessary to constrain a fight to ten measly episodes.
    Imagine if Kurapika Vs. Uvo in Yorknew City was constrained to only 10 episodes? It would have been awesome.....
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

Well, maybe it because not all of them are bad. Hunter x Hunter is pretty good considering and I heard good things about Space Brothers. I hardly keep up with the Big 3 though I read the manga of them because it doesn't take much to read through them.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    deviantART ~ Tumblr ~ MAL

For the same reasons I watch any other series. If I enjoy its content, I'll watch it. With long-runners, there's just more of it. If I get bored, I pause.

Though, I don't readily get bored of Gintama, so...
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I get attached to the characters and the plot. The longest anime that I watch is Detective Conan. I can't just stop watching it because I love it and the story is good. The same thing applies to the Big 3 and Fairy Tail.
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post

This is pretty much what I was going to post, except I would have added one peice and naruto, and removed Hunter x Hunter.

One of the reasons people watch long running anime is that they like the characters, and they might not want the world that they live in to end. Lets take Bleach as an example, I watched around 120 episodes of it before I dropped it, I liked it, I liked the characters, I liked the fighting, I liked the music. Looking back on it, the show has so much filler that it's almost a joke. I mean they spent 30 odd episodes looking for one person. Think of it kinda like junk food, it's there, you can watch it easily, it's alright, that's it.
    Last edited by absolalone111; 14th February 2013 at 12:20 AM.
        Spoiler:- games I want:

Click the banner to check out my semi-regularly updated chiptune filled soundcloud.

Interesting topic.

The long running series I managed to complete is the entire Dragonball franchise, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yu-Gi-Oh, and I watched a lot of Sailor Moon but never watched the final season which was never dubbed. I used to follow Bleach but the writing got progressively worse over the years. I'd even go as far as to say that it may go down as the worst Shounen manga series of the modern day. As for Naruto its been a long time since I kept up with it. I don't feel like I have completely given up on it but I am definitely far behind my friends. I am trying to get in to Fairy Tail and One Piece but I got some ground to cover for those 2.

To be fair I don't think there is anything wrong if a manga series does go on for a long time. Look at certain TV shows like House and Dr. Who which have aired for several years. The only thing that matters is if the writing stays consistent with each passing year.

I'll give you another example of this but done in alternative way. There was the DC Animated Universe that started in the early 90s and ended in 2006. It consistent of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, The Zeta Project, Justice League and finally Justice League Unlimited. All these series focused on different characters and settings respectively but all shared the same universe. When it was all said and done DC had created a Universe that had 14 years worth of continuity. Something that even rivaled the comics they were based off of.