Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: "Real" or "True" Gamers

  1. #1

    Default "Real" or "True" Gamers

    Today I read an game review on Yahoo! for Destiny. In the comments people started saying if you don't consistently play a game for more than 5 hours straight you aren't a true gamer. That got me thinking about a couple things:

    a.) Why do people care about being a "true" gamer?
    b.) What is the qualification for a true gamer?

    My two cents is that anybody who enjoys games is a real gamer. Just because you play for hours on end does not make you superior in that regard. Sure, you might be better at videogames, but does that really matter? Not all of us have the time to devote to 5-hour-straight sessions of gaming. Many of us have jobs and families, as well as other responsibilities and hobbies.

    I look forward to seeing your opinions on this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I agree with you fully there. Something that some (mainly) girls do is pretend to be gamers to be 'sexy'. >.> A lot of the time they're not 'real gamers' because a lot of the time they don't actually like video games.
    But other than that, I think anyone who loves video games and spends at least some time playing them can be classified as a gamer. :P

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Celadon City, Den of Vice
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    If you definition of gamer is someone with no self-control, than yeah the 5 hours definition makes sense. BUt that's not something I would brag about.

    And honestly I have never heard of a single person who lies about playing video games. I do have one friend who prefers watching over playing, but even she has hundreds of hours logged into steam.

    And even if someone only enjoys watching games or has no interest in them, there is nothing wrong with that.

    Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    corn country
    Posts
    3,916

    Default

    I don't think the fact that I have, on more than one occasion, played a video game for more than 13 hours straight makes me a true gamer compared to somebody who plays for about half an hour a week. I do, however, think it makes me more of an idiot.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

    The usual links

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a land of pure imagination!
    Posts
    618

    Default

    The whole Casual vs. Hardcore divide is used for a sense of elitism and it's meant to de-credit anyone's opinion you don't feel fits into your arbitrary definition of what it means to be hardcore. It really is a horrible identifier. Pretty much hardcore or any substitute for that word falls under the No True Scotsman Fallacy.
    ... -_-' What, were you expecting a cookie?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ordinary View Post
    I agree with you fully there. Something that some (mainly) girls do is pretend to be gamers to be 'sexy'. >.> A lot of the time they're not 'real gamers' because a lot of the time they don't actually like video games.
    But other than that, I think anyone who loves video games and spends at least some time playing them can be classified as a gamer. :P
    Partly this. Before gaming became mainstream, a lot of gamers were considered geeks or nerds. So to make themselves feel better, they took pride in how much they gamed. Now that it's mainstream, they are still trying to look good against the "cool" people that used to make fun of them, abuse them or ignore them for being gamers.

    Same thing with other areas. People who retreated into their comics and costumes and whatnot because their popular/jock type classmates hurt them in various ways over their geeky/nerdy/loser hobbies resent those same types of people now jumping into the hobby and proclaiming "See! I'm a geek/nerd/whatever too!!" Those hurt by these types of people see the influx as an attempt to take something they enjoy away from them. They fear that eventually the "cool" kids will drive them out for not being cool enough to belong any more.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

    3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

    My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Frankfurt,Germany
    Posts
    89

    Default

    The term "gamer" is just an illusion. Just grab your pad or keyboard and enjoy.

    Life is like unto a long journey with a heavy burden.
    (Tokugawa Ieyasu)


    MBTI personality type: ISFP

    You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
    You have distinct preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XxPhoenixFlamexX View Post
    Today I read an game review on Yahoo! for Destiny. In the comments people started saying if you don't consistently play a game for more than 5 hours straight you aren't a true gamer. That got me thinking about a couple things:

    a.) Why do people care about being a "true" gamer?
    b.) What is the qualification for a true gamer?

    My two cents is that anybody who enjoys games is a real gamer. Just because you play for hours on end does not make you superior in that regard. Sure, you might be better at videogames, but does that really matter? Not all of us have the time to devote to 5-hour-straight sessions of gaming. Many of us have jobs and families, as well as other responsibilities and hobbies.

    I look forward to seeing your opinions on this.
    Yeah. I find girls who pretend to be gamers to be highly unattractive.
    "Yeah are you kidding? I love Pokémon!"
    Which one is your favorite?
    "Umm.... It's *thinks of an excuse* hard to choose"

    But it's the exact opposite for girls who are actually gamers.
    *been walking around for 30 minutes*
    "Well who's your favorite second gen Pokémon?"
    "Umbreon. He can attack good and he's cute"
    "I have to say I like-"
    Etc.
    (Yes my girlfriend is a gamer, for all 0 who care)

    For the other side, anyone who plays videogames avidly is a gamer in my mind.
    Blaziken fan boy.
    The only person in the history of humanity who's favorite Pokémon is Misdreavus
    IGN: Hunter
    Most Recent Shiny: (Y)
    Target Shiny: (Emerald)

    I've done competitive battling 4 times, I've won 4 times.
    I have Powersaves pro, and in the future I plan to give my fellow forumers (or you know, other hacked goodies.)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    There's no such thing as a "true" gamer. It's just 'gamer'.

    Whether you play games for 20 hours or just 20 minutes, you're a gamer.
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * * * * *
    * - Going mega


    Claimed by me!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North east England, IT EXISTS!
    Posts
    553

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Hyrule Field:Twilight Era
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Well,to me,it depends on your take on it.If you believe you're a true gamer,then you are.To me,anyone who has played video games for at least a couple hours straight it a gamer.


    "If you don't sharpen your blade,you lose your edge."
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

  12. #12

    Default

    first thing first, playing a video game doesn't make you a gamer. i caught a few fish, so i am a fisherman. think of it this way, many people say that they like japanese food. but most, when asked, only eat ramen and sushi. because that's all they really know about japanese cuisine. there is more to japanese cuisine than ramen and sushi. apply this to gaming. there is more to gaming than just one series. so playing call of duty for 10 hours straight doesn't make you a gamer.

    being a gamer (like any passion really) is about expanding your horizons. there is so much to explore in the gaming world. it doesn't matter how long you play but how well you dive into the world of gaming. so ignore people who say you must play a game for 5 hours to be a "gamer". playing one popular title for hours straight doesn't make someone about passionate about gaming as a whole.

        Spoiler:- about girl gamers:
    岩根雅明=♡

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Joăo Pessoa - Brazil
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I don't think being a true gamer is about how much you play, but i also think that not everyone can be a gamer. I think it's about how much you enjoy video games. Your kill/death ratio in a FPS doesn't mean anything, but playing it with your friends, online or locally, makes you a gamer. Beating many games on Hard mode is only important if you have fun trying new strategies or using different items, but not bragging rights. That's my opinion. And about the gamer girls, i know there are a lot of "posers" out there, but there's also real gamer girls. I've only known 2 in person: one had a Pokemon Red copy(she even called me a noob once), and the other thinks i'm weird ,not because i'm a gamer, but because i collect shinies. Like,she know more about games than her boyfriend, who i also consider a gamer.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,111

    Default

    I think it depends on the situation. If I needed an opinion of a "gamer" on game related things, I'd probably take the opinion of the guy that games a few hours a week over the guy plays flappy bird on his break and that it.

    I don't think there's a limit you need to game to be a gamer but I wouldn't say the person that only plays farmvillie when messing around on facebook is as much as a gamer as someone who does it as a hobby.

    I think that's the thing, hobby vs time waster.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Swagikarp Village
    Posts
    1,386

    Default

    If playing video games is one of your chosen hobbies then you are a gamer. People are welcome to try and give their own meaning to the term but that won't make them any more right then a person who calls a dog a cat.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    This.

    To Miss Ordinary, Malfor, and everyone else who genuinely believe in "fake girl gamers," how many "fake nerd" girls do you think actually exist? How many have you met? Be honest - we all know that "fake girl games" don't really exist. This is a myth that insecure nerds have told themselves over and over because they fear that the nerd culture has become so popular in mainstream culture that it no longer "belongs" to them. There have always been geek girls, but now there are more of them because geek culture has become more mainstream. That's the reality. More people like comic books and science fiction and video games than ever before, and yes, a lot of those people are women. They're not faking liking something. They may not have as much knowledge about a subject as you do, but that doesn't make them an inferior geek.

    Also, be honest, dudes - why the hell do you think women would want to fake being a geek or gamer? Never mind that the cultural myth is that geeks and gamers are all fat, sweaty, socially inept dudes (which obviously doesn't attract women). Geek and gaming culture is an incredibly sexist environment. If you want proof, you don't even have to look at the way female game-developers are treated in the industry - just look at this very thread! In a topic about "fake nerds," a large amount of comments are about how women only pretend to be nerds! How many men are accused of being "fake nerds" compared to women? Pretty much zero - the conversation is almost always about women.

    That is called sexism, and that is why nerd culture repels women. So what the hell makes you think that so many women are pretending to be geeks so they can be with elitist snobs who assume they're faking? *drops mic*


    Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    Partly this. Before gaming became mainstream, a lot of gamers were considered geeks or nerds. So to make themselves feel better, they took pride in how much they gamed. Now that it's mainstream, they are still trying to look good against the "cool" people that used to make fun of them, abuse them or ignore them for being gamers.

    Same thing with other areas. People who retreated into their comics and costumes and whatnot because their popular/jock type classmates hurt them in various ways over their geeky/nerdy/loser hobbies resent those same types of people now jumping into the hobby and proclaiming "See! I'm a geek/nerd/whatever too!!" Those hurt by these types of people see the influx as an attempt to take something they enjoy away from them. They fear that eventually the "cool" kids will drive them out for not being cool enough to belong any more.
    This also. But this is also a general elitism thing. "I liked Green Day before they became mainstream." "I liked Chris Pratt before Guardians of the Galaxy." "I liked comic books back before liking them was socially acceptable."


    tl;dr, there is no such thing as a "real gamer" - there are only people who like the same thing to different extends and have different amounts of knowledge about it. The idea of being a "real x" is elitist and stupid, but in this case it is also incredibly sexist.

    ~Psychic
    Last edited by Psychic; 18th August 2014 at 3:33 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    647

    Default

    In truth, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'true gamer' despite our judgements of certain people's game choices or habits involving games. If you enjoy video games and regularly play them, or try to at least, then you are a gamer. Are there different degrees of being a gamer? In my opinion yes, but not everyone will agree in the end.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†



    Christianity is a Relationship with our true God, Jesus. It's not a Religion. Copy and paste If you agree

    Registeel is mine, yay!

    Adventure of Adventureness & Awesome of Awesomeness: Smashing the 4th wall into gazillion pieces since 2010. - Sig too long, so Mod a cropped it

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    *sigh* Ohio
    Posts
    6,828

    Default

    There are girls who stream with low cut tops or in their underwear, but they don't like the games, they just like the money and attention. They are a very small minority of women gamers though, but that's what most people tend to think of.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    There are girls who stream with low cut tops or in their underwear, but they don't like the games, they just like the money and attention. They are a very small minority of women gamers though, but that's what most people tend to think of.
    Which to be fair, if they do this and succeed at getting what they want, they're just being savvy businesswomen as far as I'm concerned.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    the UG
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    This.

    To Miss Ordinary, Malfor, and everyone else who genuinely believe in "fake girl gamers," how many "fake nerd" girls do you think actually exist? How many have you met? Be honest - we all know that "fake girl games" don't really exist. This is a myth that insecure nerds have told themselves over and over because they fear that the nerd culture has become so popular in mainstream culture that it no longer "belongs" to them. There have always been geek girls, but now there are more of them because geek culture has become more mainstream. That's the reality. More people like comic books and science fiction and video games than ever before, and yes, a lot of those people are women. They're not faking liking something. They may not have as much knowledge about a subject as you do, but that doesn't make them an inferior geek.

    Also, be honest, dudes - why the hell do you think women would want to fake being a geek or gamer? Never mind that the cultural myth is that geeks and gamers are all fat, sweaty, socially inept dudes (which obviously doesn't attract women). Geek and gaming culture is an incredibly sexist environment. If you want proof, you don't even have to look at the way female game-developers are treated in the industry - just look at this very thread! In a topic about "fake nerds," a large amount of comments are about how women only pretend to be nerds! How many men are accused of being "fake nerds" compared to women? Pretty much zero - the conversation is almost always about women.

    That is called sexism, and that is why nerd culture repels women. So what the hell makes you think that so many women are pretending to be geeks so they can be with elitist snobs who assume they're faking? *drops mic*



    This also. But this is also a general elitism thing. "I liked Green Day before they became mainstream." "I liked Chris Pratt before Guardians of the Galaxy." "I liked comic books back before liking them was socially acceptable."


    tl;dr, there is no such thing as a "real gamer" - there are only people who like the same thing to different extends and have different amounts of knowledge about it. The idea of being a "real x" is elitist and stupid, but in this case it is also incredibly sexist.

    ~Psychic

    I love you so much, Psychic. <3 You basically said everything I wanted to say in such a much more eloquent way.

    take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogeking View Post
    There are girls who stream with low cut tops or in their underwear, but they don't like the games, they just like the money and attention. They are a very small minority of women gamers though, but that's what most people tend to think of.
    People doing things for money isn't exactly new, and I don't think the existence of these people changes anything. That's like saying "fake chefs exist because fast food workers prepare food - they only do it because they're paid to!"

    A lot of people will pay money to watch attractive women. Welcome to the Internet. I don't see how women taking advantage of that is proof "fake girl gamers" truly exist. People will do things they dislike to get attention, but they'll especially do it for money. A huge chunk of employed people hate their job, but they do it because they want or need money. That's just life.

    PS: Men would be doing this too if there was any demand for sexy men to play video games in their underwear. But there isn't, so there aren't. That's why only women do it. The guys who do film themselves playing video games do so because they genuinely like gaming, and they don't even need to be attractive. Women make these videos too, but they're far less popular. I guess guys only want to watch women play video games if they do so half-naked.

    Hey look - more proof of sexism in gaming culture! What a shock!


    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I love you so much, Psychic. <3 You basically said everything I wanted to say in such a much more eloquent way.
    Thanks, there are a lot of Youtube videos that say it better than I do, but I'm glad to have (hopefully) shed some light on the topic.

    ~Psychic
    Last edited by Psychic; 18th August 2014 at 5:45 AM.

  22. #22

    Default

    on the subject of making money. that's what they are expected to do. i see guys (and girls because girls complain to) complain on youtube about girl gamers showing their sexuality while playing games. while it's true that just playing call of duty doesn't make you a gamer... these women do this because that's what we as a society expects them to do. we complain about them doing something we expect them to do. they are taught that their worth is in their sexuality. -_-. the whole girl gamer debate leads to **** shaming
    岩根雅明=♡

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    dere in the sheets
    Posts
    9,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    People doing things for money isn't exactly new, and I don't think the existence of these people changes anything. That's like saying "fake chefs exist because fast food workers prepare food - they only do it because they're paid to!"

    A lot of people will pay money to watch attractive women. Welcome to the Internet. I don't see how women taking advantage of that is proof "fake girl gamers" truly exist. People will do things they dislike if for attention, but they'll especially do it for money. A huge chunk of employed people hate their job, but they do it because they want or need money. That's just life.
    I don't think those compare well. Working a job you hate and faking a hobby for money are two completely different things. A job is a necessity, faking a gamer girl isn't. And while your hobby can be your job, I don't you're in that dire need of job if you have streaming equipment, computer and such.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    *sigh* Ohio
    Posts
    6,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    People doing things for money isn't exactly new, and I don't think the existence of these people changes anything. That's like saying "fake chefs exist because fast food workers prepare food - they only do it because they're paid to!"

    A lot of people will pay money to watch attractive women. Welcome to the Internet. I don't see how women taking advantage of that is proof "fake girl gamers" truly exist. People will do things they dislike to get attention, but they'll especially do it for money. A huge chunk of employed people hate their job, but they do it because they want or need money. That's just life.

    PS: Men would be doing this too if there was any demand for sexy men to play video games in their underwear. But there isn't, so there aren't. That's why only women do it. The guys who do film themselves playing video games do so because they genuinely like gaming, and they don't even need to be attractive. Women make these videos too, but they're far less popular. I guess guys only want to watch women play video games if they do so half-naked.

    Hey look - more proof of sexism in gaming culture! What a shock!
    Yeah, I agree with you. That's why I really don't call them "fake gamer girls". They found a way to make money off of sad nerds and it works for them, and I can't really blame them for doing it. The fault lies in the people who can't make the distinction.

    Also there are guys who play video games who have done dumb stuff like video themselves taking a shower or making a sandwich, it just isn't nearly as successful.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XxPhoenixFlamexX View Post
    Today I read an game review on Yahoo! for Destiny. In the comments people started saying if you don't consistently play a game for more than 5 hours straight you aren't a true gamer. That got me thinking about a couple things:

    a.) Why do people care about being a "true" gamer?
    b.) What is the qualification for a true gamer?

    My two cents is that anybody who enjoys games is a real gamer. Just because you play for hours on end does not make you superior in that regard. Sure, you might be better at videogames, but does that really matter? Not all of us have the time to devote to 5-hour-straight sessions of gaming. Many of us have jobs and families, as well as other responsibilities and hobbies.

    I look forward to seeing your opinions on this.
    This is partially why I despise the competitive scene.

    It is filled with pretentious players who feel they are above all other players because of the 'time and effort' they put into playing. However, all I see are players who are taking video games way too seriously. Now don't get me wrong, I love video games and I aspire to compose in the gaming industry. However, I do know that video games are ultimately for entertainment, for fun. To me competitive playing takes all the fun out of video games.

    This idea of a 'true gamer' is absurd. If you play video games, you're a gamer. It's as simple as that. But if you feel habitually investing hours and hours into playing a video game makes something of you, you seriously need to reevaluate your life.
    LILYCOVE CITY GYM
    Please leave feedback on my gym via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •