Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Rival destinies hatred of Dragonite

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    25

    Default Rival destinies hatred of Dragonite

    Is it just me or are they really dumbing down dragonite?
    I mean why would dragonite choose to go with Iris then act like it didnt want that at all?
    Obey her then for no real reason, throw the battle?

    To me their very poor excuse for plot and character development was uncalled for.
    It was this kind of treatment that for a time made Charizard unpopular.

    Though In the latest episode they seem to have decided to turn this around.

    Does anyone else think this is unfair to the rarely seen pokemon?
    And do you think it will continue to obey or forget the episode ever happened?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Well Dragonite was just a cheap shot so iris can get a strong dragon and axew can stay nice and unevolved and weak for marketing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Route 123, looking for Celebi
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer kun View Post
    I mean why would dragonite choose to go with Iris then act like it didnt want that at all?
    It's a tsundere.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer kun View Post
    Obey her then for no real reason, throw the battle?
    If you mean the battle against Krookodile, it didn't "throw" that. It lost control of its temper and went mad. It wasn't able to hear her commands in that state, let alone follow them.


    98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    IN YO FACE
    Posts
    4,136

    Default

    It was just the story. Dragonite choosing Iris for its trainer doesn't mean it was ready to listen to her commands. But they showed progress because in each round of the tournament, Dragonite listened to Iris more and more.

    Now they're friends so it's all good lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer kun View Post
    It was this kind of treatment that for a time made Charizard unpopular.
    hehehe...wut?

    When did this happen? Charizard was always popular from the beginning until now..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    It was just the story. Dragonite choosing Iris for its trainer doesn't mean it was ready to listen to her commands.
    Exactly. He willingly joined Iris as a means to an end: an excuse to get thrown out into battles with strong opponents, in which he'd just do whatever the Hell he wants.

    He didn't disobey Iris because he had anything against her, he disobeyed because his idea of their partnership was different from her's. His idea of the partnership was "I let myself be caught by you, you release my in batlte and I win you victories by fighting my own ways", whereas Iris' idea was of the traditional Pokemon-trainer bond. She didn't want Dragonite to win her victories without any input from her; that just they can't really be called victories for her because Dragonite is the only one winning them. She wanted them to win as a team. Once Dragonite gets over himself a little and realizes that there's no shame in teamwork and sharing the glory, especially with someone who cares for you, he starts listening to Iris.

    Really, it's a well-written plotline. The only flaw in it was that it started literally right before a big tournament, which was just lazy and cheap on the writers' parts.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 1st February 2013 at 9:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Exactly. He willingly joined Iris as a means to an end: an excuse to get thrown out into battles with strong opponents, in which he'd just do whatever the Hell he wants.

    He didn't disobey Iris because he had anything against her, he disobeyed because his idea of their partnership was different from her's. His idea of the partnership was "I let myself be caught by you, you release my in batlte and I win you victories by fighting my own ways", whereas Iris' idea was of the traditional Pokemon-trainer bond. She didn't want Dragonite to win her victories without any input from her; that just they can't really be called victories for her because Dragonite is the only one winning them. She wanted them to win as a team. Once Dragonite gets over himself a little and realizes that there's no shame in teamwork and sharing the glory, especially with someone who cares for you, he starts listening to Iris.

    Really, it's a well-written plotline. The only flaw in it was that it started literally right before a big tournament, which was just lazy and cheap on the writers' parts.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    Indeed, Iris getting Dragonite before Junior Cup caused quite a bit of ... controversy.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    Dragonite should have lost to Dawn's Mamoswine, if it did nobody would have complained.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Dragonite should have lost to Dawn's Mamoswine, if it did nobody would have complained.
    I agree with that.

    Though I'm much happier that Ash got his revenge on Iris after losing to her in the first tournament.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    I agree with that.

    Though I'm much happier that Ash got his revenge on Iris after losing to her in the first tournament.
    Ash and Iris will probably have more battles though, this was likely the last appearance of Dawn.

    Mamoswine especially never got much of a chance to shine in DP. It's like the only powerhouse in the series without a real victory by itself.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Dragonite should have lost to Dawn's Mamoswine, if it did nobody would have complained.
    True but then it would have just lost to krookodile next round..but anything's still better.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    True but then it would have just lost to krookodile next round..but anything's still better.
    Either way Dawn losing to Ash would have been better. Dawn got knocked out way too early in the tournament which made her return feel lackluster. It would have been better if she got a single decent win.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    IN YO FACE
    Posts
    4,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Dragonite should have lost to Dawn's Mamoswine, if it did nobody would have complained.
    I don't like the idea of Dawn beating two female companions. She beat May so losing to Iris was fair. You can't expect Dawn to get special treatment over every other female, especially when she co-starred in DP and had already been developed unlike Iris.

    Iris needed the focus more than Dawn...this is BW, not DP.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    I don't like the idea of Dawn beating two female companions. She beat May so losing to Iris was fair. You can't expect Dawn to get special treatment over every other female, especially when she co-starred in DP and had already been developed unlike Iris.

    Iris needed the focus more than Dawn...this is BW, not DP.
    But now it sets up the pattern of each main girl being beaten by the next one. Now when Iris cameos she's just going to get beaten by Ash's next female friend.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    But now it sets up the pattern of each main girl being beaten by the next one. Now when Iris cameos she's just going to get beaten by Ash's next female friend.
    There is no "pattern."

    Haruka knocked out Nozomi, Hikari didn't beat Langley.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 2nd February 2013 at 1:31 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    IN YO FACE
    Posts
    4,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    But now it sets up the pattern of each main girl being beaten by the next one. Now when Iris cameos she's just going to get beaten by Ash's next female friend.
    Maybe but Dawn beating two female companions just wouldn't have been right. It's not a big deal anyway since it was more Dragonite beating Dawn than Iris beating Dawn.

    The writers are never gonna let a traveling girl completely own another traveling girl. Same reason Dawn only beat May by one or two points.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    Maybe but Dawn beating two female companions just wouldn't have been right. It's not a big deal anyway since it was more Dragonite beating Dawn than Iris beating Dawn.

    The writers are never gonna let a traveling girl completely own another traveling girl. Same reason Dawn only beat May by one or two points.
    But they didn't have Misty and May battle at all, not even for fun or a training match. It depends.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K Wales
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HatersGonnaHate View Post
    I don't like the idea of Dawn beating two female companions. She beat May so losing to Iris was fair. You can't expect Dawn to get special treatment over every other female, especially when she co-starred in DP and had already been developed unlike Iris.

    Iris needed the focus more than Dawn...this is BW, not DP.
    I agree, I think its fair Iris beat Dawn so that she didn't have victories over 2 female companions, as much as I'd like to have seen Dawn beat Iris. But I agree with Cyber in that Dawn's return felt lackluster because she didn't really have any shining moments, like Misty's return, she got 2 episodes devoted to her and Togepi and it evolving. May beat Dawn's rival, where as Dawn just lost to Iris. Would of been better if they had another round in the Junior Cup and Dawn knocked out Cilan, Langley or Georgia, then lost to Iris.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,412

    Default

    The problem is Dawn's only win was a 2 second fight against a COTD. And after the Onix filler, she was kinda kept in the background for all other eps of her return.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Somewhere Beyond the Barricade
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    An even bigger problem with Dawn's return is that she only used half of her pokemon. Togekiss, the pokemon I most wanted to see more of after sparse usage at the end of DP and a species we'll very rarely see anything from, did absolutely nothing while Piplup was all over it. An extra match for Dawn where she used Togekiss would have been better. Or she could have used Togekiss to battle Cilan, since he wanted to see contest battles and Togekiss was ideal for that.

    On the topic of Dragonite... eh, obviously a bit too convenient and easy. I feel that Dragonite was introduced to fill the position they expected Axew's evolutions to fill before deciding to leave him unevolved for most if not all of the series.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Valor Resort, TX
    Posts
    3,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Ash and Iris will probably have more battles though, this was likely the last appearance of Dawn.

    Mamoswine especially never got much of a chance to shine in DP. It's like the only powerhouse in the series without a real victory by itself.
    What about when he battled with Cyndaquil against Ursula in the Daybreak Contest, and with Pachirisu in the Grand Festival. At that GF, he and Pachi knocked out Gabite and Flareon.

    But alone, yes, his one moment was shattered after losing control when battling Carnivine in the Lilypad Contest.

    ~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •