Thread: VGC 2013 potential team

Default VGC 2013 potential team

For VGC 2013, I have been experimenting and plotting numerous ideas as not to repeat the mistakes that cost me regionals last year. This is a team I came up with as a result of all this cerebral work, and input would be greatly appreciated.

Ambipom@Focus Sash
    -Fake Out
    -Beat Up
    -Low Sweep
    -Protect
    4 hp 252 atk 252 speed
    Technician
    Jolly

Fake Out? Beat Up? Low Sweep? Cripes! This guy plays dirty! Anyway, Ambipom is meant to clear the way for the rest of my team, using it's array of attacks to incapacitate it's foes. Fake Out flinches, Low Sweep slows, and Beat Up amps up Terrakion and Absol. Considering Acrobatics over Low Sweep. Protect acts as a "get-out-of-jail-free" card on all of my pokemon.

Terrakion@Expert Belt
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -Close Combat
    -Protect
    4 hp 252 atk 252 speed
    Justified
    Jolly

Fantastic stats combined with a powerful movepool make Big Terry a staple in VGCs. Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Close Combat make Terrakion a lethal offensive force, able to tear through most pokemon with ease. Expert Belt is my item of choice because 1. Most pokemon are vulnerable to at least one of this monster's moves and 2. Life Orb is reserved for the next member of my team:

Absol@Life Orb
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Superpower
    -Protect
    4 hp 252 atk 252 speed
    Justified
    Jolly

Not long ago, I was fiddling around with a damage calculator when I tested Absol against various bulky pokemon. When I discovered what this thing can do after just one Beat Up boost, my jaw hit the floor. Cresselia, Dusclops, Amoongus, and Jellicent are just a few of the pokemon that fall after just one touch by the horned harbinger, I chose Night Slash over Sucker Punch because this thing will primarily be targeting defensive pokemon that are slower than it. Psycho Cut slays Amoongus while Superpower is for pesky steels.

Abomasnow@Choice Scarf
    -Blizzard
    -Giga Drain
    -Icy Wind
    -Shadow Ball
    4 hp 252 sp atk 252 speed
    Snow Warning
    Timid

It's ScarfSnow, what more must be said? Blizzard murders dragons and is in general a very good STAB move. Giga Drain allows me to get a bit of health back in case of a hit (and does well against bulky waters). Icy Wind is for support, and Shadow Ball is Filler.

Dragonite@Wide Lens
    -Draco Meteor
    -Heat Wave
    -Hurricane
    -Protect
    252 hp 252 sp atk 4 speed
    Multiscale
    Modest

"A special Dragonite? Preposterous!" Not so, my friends. Dragonie is a surprisingly lethal special tank, able to OHKO the likes of Scizor and Conkelder with ease. Thanks to Wide Lens, I can reliably take down what would otherwise destroy my team. Draco Meteor tears most things apart. Heat Wave gives this thing almost-perfect coverage and Obliterates any Steel not named Heatran. Hurricane acts as a counter to fighting-types.

Whimsicott@Sitrus Berry
    -Beat Up
    -Trick Room
    -Taunt
    -Protect
    252 hp 4 sp def 252 speed
    Prankster
    Timid

Whimsicott is the team's supporter, using Beat Up to activate Justified and Trick Roomto nullify the foes'. Taunt is a staple on Prankster users, as it shuts down most opponents. The EVs ensure that I can land a Beat Up on Absol or Terrakion before it gets an attack.

I am open to suggestions on improvements.
    Last edited by TurboMechaElgyem; 28th January 2013 at 3:49 AM.

None shall oppose our reign!

Check out my fanfic, Pokelypse chronicles. You won't regret it.

http://pokelypse.blogspot.com/

Input is appreciated.

Why do my teams always go neglected?

Input is appreciated.

NOTHING? Do you people really have NOTHING to say about my team? I'd like some input, guys. I wanna know how to improve this.

Input is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMechaElgyem View Post
    Why do my teams always go neglected?
    NOTHING? Do you people really have NOTHING to say about my team? I'd like some input, guys. I wanna know how to improve this.
    I SHALL HELP!
    Although I'm a PS player, I'll try to help out here. And, yes, Scizor wrecks this team. I suggest Jellicent over Abomasnow, as your team doesnt really benefit from Hail. Jellicent also checks Scizor OSMly, crippling it with WoW

Jellicent@Leftovers
    EVS: 252 SpD; 248 HP; 8 Def
    Nature: Calm/Bold
    Trait: Water Absorb
    -Scald
    -Protect
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Recover
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Psyshock --> Psychi on Latios.

This allows too to beat on special walls like Gastrodon, Blissey, and Jellicent.

And 0 IVs on Whimiscott in Attack.

Without Latios, Conkeldurr also can play around Mach Punches against you so the Jellicent above can help deal with him too.

Thank you for your feedback, but I am hesitant about putting Jellicent on for one reason: Abomasnow is the only thing on my team that effectively counters rain. If last year was any barometer, rain teams will be running rampant. Without Abomasnow, I am pretty much at their mercy.

What about this idea: replacing terrakion with Arcanine? That could take care of my Scizor problem.

Input is appreciated.

Actually, Jellicent isn't a bad idea. Although I would suggest swapping out either Ambipom or Whimsicott for it rather than Abomasnow. Run Trick Room on him, and give Abomasnow a Quiet nature. That will allow Jellicent/Abomasnow/Absol to get rid of rain and fast paced teams. But, that would mean changing up your Absol to be a little less speedy.

My FC: 2594-9889-0820

Updated with an interesting change.

Input is appreciated.

Ambipom@Focus Sash
    -Fake Out
    -Beat Up
    -Low Sweep
    -Protect
    4 hp 252 atk 252 speed
    Technician
    Jolly

Fake Out? Beat Up? Low Sweep? Cripes! This guy plays dirty! Anyway, Ambipom is meant to clear the way for the rest of my team, using it's array of attacks to incapacitate it's foes. Fake Out flinches, Low Sweep slows, and Beat Up amps up Terrakion and Absol. Considering Acrobatics over Low Sweep. Protect acts as a "get-out-of-jail-free" card on all of my pokemon.
    Well, if you're looking for an Ambipom set that fights dirty, may I suggest this set:

'Caesar'
    @ Razor Fang
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Jolly
    EV's: 6 Hp, 252 Atk., 252 Spd
    Moves:
    Fake Out
    Fling
    Covet
    Beat Up
    Last edited by Silvershark; 1st February 2013 at 6:14 PM.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

Wait... Trick room why?

Try encore over trick room. It can trap foes into trick room/protect. For whimsicott. And add tail wind over protect. Your not really surviving anytime soon. Helps absol too.
    All Hail Goomy