View Poll Results: Will you participate in this new tournament?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (MAKE SURE TO READ THE ENTIRE THREAD)

29 65.91%
  • Maybe.

8 18.18%
  • No.

7 15.91%
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Winter Friendly Wi-Fi Tournament Discussion Thread

After a real intense battle against Eeveelutions, the server closed down before the ranking could be calculated. rounded to nearest 50, I hit my predicted total of 1550, which isn't that bad for a non-legend team. Had fun this time since the battles went smoothly. Now I wish I could battle more, I've gotten quiet addicted to this Rotation Team.
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

Secret Base:

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 265/265 (270/272 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos, Pumpkaboo, and 2 of the other Floette)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

Well with 48 battles under my belt, 1670 with my team is very acceptable imo. Next time I'll take things a bit more seriously, but having fun with this one was worth it.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Well with 48 battles under my belt, 1670 with my team is very acceptable imo. Next time I'll take things a bit more seriously, but having fun with this one was worth it.
    Nice, That's pretty amazing for that team. How many Pokemon did Pikachu KO?
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

Secret Base:

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 265/265 (270/272 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos, Pumpkaboo, and 2 of the other Floette)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

What is that Pikachu moveset? I may use it. Looking at using Ash's team.
    hope everyone had fun like I did.
    Glad to hear about that disconnect glitches cause it's happened to me a lot. Also my DS would freeze after a match for well over a half hr on the sending results screen. When I turn theDS off after holding the power button down fir 10 arcs would my DS turn off. And of course I get the hour penalty for turning power off.
    Old Man
    X fc: 5129-1530-5385 (Skillz)
    Fairy Safari
    Kirlia, swirlix, clefairy

Quote Originally Posted by Halkel View Post
    Nice, That's pretty amazing for that team. How many Pokemon did Pikachu KO?
    Since I used only when I knew it stood a chance, 4 wins victories under it's belt is pretty amazing, it KOed a Dragonite (likely didn't have Multiscale).

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    What is that Pikachu moveset? I may use it. Looking at using Ash's team.
    My Pikachu has Thunderbolt, Nasty Plot, Substitute, and HP Ice. I got severely lucky on the GTS when I got a Lightning Rod Pikachu with Light Ball (thus I bred the thing). It's got a Timid Nature
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Gah...I just spent 20 minutes trying to take down a rock Arceus that was spamming recover, and when I finally did, he rage quitted.

I need a break to cool off....that rage quit at the end was especially frustrating.

And 20 minutes was not exaggerating. There was less then 10 minutes to get the battle done when I finished it.
    At least my 30 minute battle didn't end in a rage quit.

Anyway, calling it good at 1883, and 67 battles. All I'm going to say is, Steelceus + Dual Screens Lugia is so good.

Well that was a thoroughly terrible end to the competition. Dropped to 1602 from 1648 after I lost 2 matches to high level opposition, then had 3 high levels RQ on me.
    Didn't get the 1st one's name but the other 2 were:

EduMC
    Link (UK West Midlands) 1694

I'm reporting them to Pokémon Support along with all the other RQ'ers whose names I got. Can't believe I had about 20+ RQ's, gutted or I would've easily been 17-1800's

So far my best battle yet. Everything was going for me, it was against a 1600 player, and i was 1556 rating, so i went in expecting to lose since i only have one Uber in my team, I think what won it for me was Latias surviving a Blizzard. The video is 34-16067-98341

He had a fairly solid team, but so did I, was a fun battle, and fairly balanced, and fast paced.
    85% of statistics are made up on the spot, don't bother putting this in your signature, because i made this statistic up too.

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Well that was a thoroughly terrible end to the competition. Dropped to 1602 from 1648 after I lost 2 matches to high level opposition, then had 3 high levels RQ on me.

EduMC

I'm reporting them to Pokémon Support along with all the other RQ'ers whose names I got. Can't believe I had about 20+ RQ's, gutted or I would've easily been 17-1800's
    Sounds like the fate I suffered in the Spring friendly tournament... Everyone rage quit against me when I had my Dusclops + Gigalith lead :P

I ended up only getting 6 battles in that tournament (4 wins 2 loses) because I got tired of how everyone kept quitting

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post

EduMC

RQ'S is the reason I quit playing once I reached past 1650. Last tourny I was up that high and ran into 3 straight and then my slide started. Never thought about reporting folks before. Wonder if I could ask them what's up with thatgame freeze ive had for 2 straight tourneys ......
    Old Man
    X fc: 5129-1530-5385 (Skillz)
    Fairy Safari
    Kirlia, swirlix, clefairy

Well, I didn't make it to 1800 like I wanted, but I know how I may of been able to.

Swap Murkrow for Dual Screen, Tailwind Multiscale Lugia. Of course, I'd have to trade to get my hands of that. That's the only reason I didn't use it in the first place...
    Swap Giratina for Swords Dance Groudon. It usually only got one boost anyway, and Groudon would cover Black Kyurem well, as it can actually hurt teams that carry multiple steel types. But I'd need to trade this one as well, since my Soul Silver is missing.
    Swap Genesect for...something. It would be much less useful if I had Lugia instead of Murkrow.

And of course, I was also being lazy. I did almost have my matches on the first day.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Well, ended with 1717. I forgot what time the Tourney ended so I ended up not participating today. XD

It seems that Gamefreak wouldn't be able to do anything about the Rage-quitters; it might be different if you report someone using an obvious hacked Pokemon.

the event was fun though got bored after 10 matched and didn't try to participate any further. It was great beating up trainers with full legendary teams and sporting only one legendary on my roster. Fun moments was when I fought the same trainer 2 times in a row and I beat him both times and he was very dependant on type advantage. I think its great fighting a predictable opponent. He knows I'll always use scizor since its my favorite pokemon so he gets his volcarona and I give volcarona my full attention doing whatever I can to force him to use it prematurely then after it died my scizor wrecked his team.

I got tired of participating cuz the last rounds I was in consist of all pokemon with healing abilities so I'm sitting there rolling my eyes going "ugh this again" when opponent is not attacking me but spamming recover all day and hardly attacking me I eventually won when her team's healing spam ran out of pp. Its like that smoosh video where the trainer has a level 100 metapod and just spams harden all day.

Then I fought a guy with a hacked teams all legendaries that are all shiny and can ohko everyone...

All in all I really enjoyed the event the all ubers team was expected but I dont feel comfortable using all legendaries to win, feels cheap. I got tired of the tourney after the recover spammer's nonsense.
    Last edited by Sylveön; 19th February 2013 at 3:58 AM.
    My Deviantart: http://ninfiaplushies.deviantart.com/
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 3483 2007 2970
    Slyveon/Ninfia picture belongs to http://x-squishystar-x.deviantart.com Orginal moving gif version can be seen here: http://x-squishystar-x.deviantart.co...nfia-353982850

Well I reported everyone whose name I managed to get that RQ'd on me, and I'll be checking through the rankings when they're released to see if any of them placed highly (or at all) and if they did I'm going to keep bombarding Pokémon Support with emails until they do something about it because it's not fair on the genuine fair players who take each win or loss and don't complain about it.
    Why can't they use the same system Fifa on xbox live uses? That can work out who was winning or won in a match and award points / disqualify in the event of a DC.

Why can't they use the same system Fifa on xbox live uses? That can work out who was winning or won in a match and award points / disqualify in the event of a DC.
    Strategy games are a funny thing. Just because one pokemon team has a higher overall health percentage doesn't mean it's winning. And, also, as this game is about strategy, the important part is who's strategy will cause them to win.

You can't just look at a pokemon battle and always know exactly what strategy each is using, or what they're thinking at the time. You can try and guess or predict, but it won't always be accurate.

Then there is luck. If your pokemon is faster, and has a 40-60% chance to finish off the opponent before they finish you, who wins?

It's just too difficult to tell in some situations.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 19th February 2013 at 6:24 AM.

Strategy games are a funny thing. Just because one pokemon team has a higher overall health percentage doesn't mean it's winning. And, also, as this game is about strategy, the important part is who's strategy will cause them to win.

You can't just look at a pokemon battle and always know exactly what strategy each is using, or what they're thinking at the time. You can try and guess or predict, but it won't always be accurate.

Then there is luck. If your pokemon is faster, and has a 40-60% chance to finish off the opponent before they finish you, who wins?

This is exactly what I love and hate about this game... most of the time you'll find people using the same generic sets that arguably aren't broken, but don't exactly inspire creativeness. At the same time, pulling off some creative idea's doesn't always work, thus hurting the need to think out of the box. Regardless of that little bit of nit-picking, the competitive style of Pokemon is quite fascinating given how many strategies you can come up with.

How bout this, why not just give the points to the one who didn't DQ and take the points from the one who did. Waiting one hour after each DQ isn't as big a punishment as it should be.
    85% of statistics are made up on the spot, don't bother putting this in your signature, because i made this statistic up too.

Quote Originally Posted by floodz66 View Post
    How bout this, why not just give the points to the one who didn't DQ and take the points from the one who did. Waiting one hour after each DQ isn't as big a punishment as it should be.
    How could you implement that though... people could easily fib about something like that. Let's be honest, it's not like those guys keep track of every battle

On the other hand, the majority of ragequits I've found happen either when one player has one Pokémon left at low HP and the other has a a faster Pokémon, or after the match itself ends and the game is getting ready to process the battle video. In these cases, it should be obvious. (For that matter, I don't understand how ragequitting can even happen during the latter. The match has been decided.)

Also, ragequitting rarely ever happens when the ragequitter outnumbers the opponent. They are always either equal in quantity or the ragequitter has fewer Pokémon (almost always one).

I dont think winning and losing is pivotal to rankings I think its based on how frequently you battled. I mean When I lost I was suprise my rank went up not down. I like to think winning matches do help you rank up faster but frequent battlers will rank up too even if they lose some.
    My Deviantart: http://ninfiaplushies.deviantart.com/
    My Pokemon White 2 FC: 3483 2007 2970
    Slyveon/Ninfia picture belongs to http://x-squishystar-x.deviantart.com Orginal moving gif version can be seen here: http://x-squishystar-x.deviantart.co...nfia-353982850

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    How could you implement that though... people could easily fib about something like that. Let's be honest, it's not like those guys keep track of every battle
    When you turn off your game during an online battle and try to do another, they will tell you that since you turned your game off, you have to wait an hour before playing online again, i was thinking that if they can do that, they can also give points to the one who got DQed on. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, at least i don't think it would be too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylveön View Post
    I dont think winning and losing is pivotal to rankings I think its based on how frequently you battled. I mean When I lost I was suprise my rank went up not down. I like to think winning matches do help you rank up faster but frequent battlers will rank up too even if they lose some.
    No, that was just the Rating system taking a long time to update from your previous battles. You don't gain points from losses.

Quote Originally Posted by floodz66 View Post
    When you turn off your game during an online battle and try to do another, they will tell you that since you turned your game off, you have to wait an hour before playing online again, i was thinking that if they can do that, they can also give points to the one who got DQed on. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, at least i don't think it would be too hard.
    It doesn't work that way because it is the game card itself reading that you shut off your DS and then implementing an hour ban. That's why the last few wifi tournaments have required B2W2 and why people can get around the one hour ban by disconnecting their internet source rather than shutting off their DS. Now nintendo is capable of detecting disconnected matches, but not the one who did the disconnecting; or at least I hope that's the case, as they are prone to disqualifying people who were heavily DC'd on even though they themselves didn't do any of the disconnecting.
    Last edited by Silvershark; 19th February 2013 at 10:42 AM.
        Spoiler:- My Custom Challenges:

While the system makes it harder to disconnect by simply shutting off the game, another way is to actually go to a place outside of wifi range until connection is completely lost and then come back to wifi range and search for another battle. I never did this during this competition but had done it previously in other random wifi battles. Still, regardless of whom disconnects, both involved will get penalized and unfortunately this is unfair to the one that stayed on the entire time. I know I won't get ranked similarly like the last 2 events since more than 10% of my matches did indeed end in lost connections. If you have no way of possibly winning a match, the least you can do is forfeit the match and let your opponent move on, but sadly there are just too many trolls out there. For a glimpse of all my recorded matches (including one with zachmac) can be found here: http://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&v...=11471%2F38258 as I know I could've changed out certain moves (stone edge > stealth rock for example) had I known better how rotation worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershark View Post
    No, that was just the Rating system taking a long time to update from your previous battles. You don't gain points from losses.

It doesn't work that way because it is the game card itself reading that you shut off your DS and then implementing an hour ban. That's why the last few wifi tournaments have required B2W2 and why people can get around the one hour ban by disconnecting their internet source rather than shutting off their DS. Now nintendo is capable of detecting disconnected matches, but not the one who did the disconnecting; or at least I hope that's the case, as they are prone to disqualifying people who were heavily DC'd on even though they themselves didn't do any of the disconnecting.
    In that way, I am glad that's why the Tournament has been moved to Black/White 2. I understand not wanting the original game players being left out, but yeah. It's getting time to move on.

I am hoping Disconnecting penalty will be improved upon in some kind of way for X and Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    In that way, I am glad that's why the Tournament has been moved to Black/White 2. I understand not wanting the original game players being left out, but yeah. It's getting time to move on.

I am hoping Disconnecting penalty will be improved upon in some kind of way for X and Y.
    Hopefully X and Y keep this function (as in tournaments).... as Game Freak is known to utterly destroy their own ideas in the very next generation.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast