Thread: Best beginner's TCG deck?

Default Best beginner's TCG deck?

I've played every pokemon video game religiously since the beginning, and I know the games and their mechanics pretty much inside out.
    Since I'm in the UK, I've never really had the chance to play the trading card game, as not many people here play it...
    But me and my friend want to get into it so.....

How should I begin? I'm a TCG noob, and there are so many different decks, different generations etc. Where should I start? What deck should I buy to start off with?

Thanks

I'm from the UK and used to play the TCG. I'm planning on getting back into it and going back to my local league.
    If you go on the league locator on the pokemon website then you will be able to see a local league near you.

I know thats not what you asked but if you do begin to enjoy it then going to a hobby league is really the next step.
    From my understanding the latest generations are HeartGold-SoulSilver and a new one is comming out very soon....There is a pre-release event which links back to my previous statement.But i suggest you get the most recent Generations as not all of them are "Legal" in play.I suggest just buying any starter deck for a "main" pokemon then some booster packs or a tin if you start to get into it.

It's not a cheap hobby when you start getting into it but it's really fun.

You can get a dragon's exhalted theme deck on amazon for Ł14.50 and thats in the current "rotation" and thats a full deck and an instruction book with how to play.Thats the best way to get a deck ready to play with.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions i'm happy to help

I've played every pokemon video game religiously since the beginning, and I know the games and their mechanics pretty much inside out.
    Since I'm in the UK, I've never really had the chance to play the trading card game, as not many people here play it...
    But me and my friend want to get into it so.....

How should I begin? I'm a TCG noob, and there are so many different decks, different generations etc. Where should I start? What deck should I buy to start off with?

Thanks
    I would like to say, again, second post, load o bull. If it wasn't for the country you're from I don't think we would have been able to interest enough players to play this game in north America after pokemon got slaughtered before the EX series. this is why I say that, other then the mid-west and central asia, UK has the 2nd-3rd biggest player base's. So please, when I do say this I respect alot of the UK players as I know a fair amount of them, and would like to extend in anyway the possibility of getting everyone to play league so we could meet at worlds sometime in the future and have fun playing pokemon.

But you want a decklist? what kind, I need something to work with such as favorite type, pokemon, etc, Then we can move from there and build decks that you would seriously play with, i will always post cheap solutions to building the decks so you can build a deck as cheap and efficiently for you but more importantly one you're gonna want to play with, but I'm only gonna post suggestions so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by ven?; 16th February 2013 at 8:32 PM.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I need two decks.

One for me, one for my friend.

so that we can start playing the TCG with zero knowledge, and learn all the basics we need.

Both decks need to be roughly as good as each other, so it's balanced.

And the most recent they are the better, so they have all the most recent rules to play by.

If you have no cards them start out with theme decks of any set, they are both fairly similar in composition so it's not like one is going to do better then the other, some people are talking about the new B/W stater kit but they don't look like they'll be a common thing to buy in store plus theme decks are cheaper and have the cards that people in the format play with to help you move on from there.

I cannot choose between Dragons exhalted, Black and White noble victories, and Boundaries Crossed. Oh not to mention Dark Explorers and Plasma Storm. Which of these is the best? I'm guessing either Dragons Exhalted or Boundaries Crossed?

By best, I do not mean most powerful or the best cards. I mean the best introductory deck to the TCG.

They're all built the same the only difference is what is being played or not.

I recommend dark eXplorers. It was a pretty good set. Plus if you get good or at least familiar with the format you could try a darkrai/laser deck. Or darkrai/hammer or darkrai/mewtwo. All good decks.

darkrai/laser deck. Or darkrai/hammer or darkrai/mewtwo. All good decks.
    What makes me laugh about this is that they're is a noticeable play and tier difference between each of these decks.

plasma storm with druddigon is pretty lame.

He's a solid card to start with.. but the supporting cast is very poor and doesn't really do much.

I would go with Boundaries Crossed, the one with Blastoise in it.

Water/Electric can make some magic happen.

Althoughhhhh.. a lot of grass seems to be popping up lately.. so it just depends.

Either way, it's just a starting deck to get going.. get a theme deck, then like 4-5 individual packs of that same name.. and good luck!

dragons exaulted isnt that great imo. dark explorers is complete junk unless you pull Darkrais/Mewtwos, so don't get too hooked on them

RNG_Reporter@ Um what you said about boundarys crossed and dark explorers well actually unless it's keldeo, blastoise and skyla boundary's crossed is useless because those are the only 3 cards which are worth something from that set and from what many people offline and online has told, it's cheaper and easier to just but those cards online then from the set making boundarys crossed useless. Dark explorer's however has darkrai, cheren, N, dark patch, ultra ball, juniper and gold catcher (I think I just listed the staple cards of a darkrai variant) making catcher itself viable for the next rotation making dark explorers a must buy for various deck construction needs, Note: you can not pull mewtwo from this set, unless you're lucky and it's a misprint.

Good thing the only thing I've really bought was a Keldeo tin, the blastoise themed deck, and pulled a few lucky holo blastoise and supporters.

So dark explorers is worth the buy? With plasma storm? Guess I'll buy a few of those the.n

Ther is MUCH more to a set than three cards ven, like landorous EX...and many others.

So dark explorers is worth the buy? With plasma storm?
    If you want to make a darkrai/lasers deck, yes

Ther is MUCH more to a set than three cards ven, like landorous EX...and many others.
    Boundaries crossed, when it comes to buying the packs and going after those three cards is easier, and then buying the rares online would be alot cheaper. That's what I was more over getting at, and since boundires crossed doesn't offer that much for trade value outside those cards when it comes to tournament/format decks it doesn't become a desirable set like plasma storm and dark explorers.