Thread: Should Trainers Talk?

Question Should Trainers Talk?

Trainers NEVER utter a single line in any Pokemon games sometimes. Should they start talking more often in games?
    SonicLife is my name, And Burning way past cool is my game!

What do you mean, talk? As in, during battle or possibly are you talking about voice acting? Or are you talking about the pre-battle dialogue?
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    i spent 10 hours REing for a shiny metagross and now its an event

I'm talking about the Person you play as in a Pokemon game. You never talk throughout the game...

Dunno about the trainer but what about characters having voices instead of just dialogue

I reckon it would work in the story, having Cheren, Bianca, Juniper, Skyla and Drayden talking, it'd may be better cos i skip a lot of dialogie cos i can't be stuffed reading, Maybe I'd pay more attention and grasp a better understanding.
    ORAS? I'm excited

Indieformer

Trainer Red: .......................... ..... ..................

In my opinion, No. The 'trainer' in the games (especially post-game) is supposed to be you. For Example: That's your journey through the Unova Region, not anyone else's. That's obviously one of the reasons as to why they have different gender protagonists. Waiting for someone to throw a wall of text about what I just explained.
    Last edited by White_Roar~; 3rd February 2013 at 5:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

In pokemon GSC, the trainer talks to the little girl in Saffron.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Is that true?! I believe it's just the mimic girl who uses your name, then talks. Correct me if I'm wrong please. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Savanny
    This place is deader than my pets I have buried in the backyard...

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Its on FR/LG too! :3 <.>
    I was confused by it all. Thinking if she was talking or I was >.>

Anyways I do think it would be nice for them to have voice dialogue, but at the same time nawp. Its like... people won't agree the voice fits them <.> Kinda like Links situation. the silent hero XP
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

(Trainer Red at Mount Silver)

Red: I've been waiting for you for 3 years. It's time to decide who's really the best champion. (Player name), I CHALLENGE YOU TO A POKEMON BATTLE!!

Lol. XD

Probably not, because the fanboy rage would be epic to say the least, but I personally wouldn't mind seeing it. I've never really cared for the "silent protagonist" practice in video games, I feel like it causes too many missed opportunities in the storytelling if your character is a silent robot. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucina Archaelis View Post
    Its on FR/LG too! :3 <.>
    I was confused by it all. Thinking if she was talking or I was >.>
    Yeah the player character talked to her in the original Red/Blue as well.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

The playable character doesn't talk because on that way he is not regarded as a separate character outside of players's influence.

This happens in many games, not only Pokemon rpg: Donkey Kong, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda, etc.

The fact that the player doesn't talk gives you the feeling that YOU are the trainer, you aren't controlling a specific character like Snake or Kratos, you are venturing through the regions yourself.

In short, keep his mouth shut, mute people should remain mute, Metroid: Other M is a testament to that.

I don't want them to talk, because the personality that they choose will probably be a lame one. The trainer would either end up being a happy-go-lucky goody two shoes, or a brooding, humorless twig. I think the silent protagonist is perfect for this series because the game is supposed to be your imagination. That's why they keep the characters as generic as possible, with as little family as possible in order to prevent a conclusive back story.

Although, I would enjoy it if they maybe added question choices beyond yes/no.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

I'd prefer it if they didn't. I love imagining the character is you, and I think pre set lines would take from that. Maybe if they had a list of things you could say like in Skyrim.
    1st X run:

No, never. Silent protagonist is one of the best features a RPG can have. I don't want my player character talking stuff I'd never do. I wouldn't mind dialogue options like in the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona games, though.

No. Silent is awesome.
    Current LeafGreen Team:

Gem Lv 40
    Beautifly Lv 41
    Charzin Lv 41
    Falconion Lv 41
    Wiz Lv 42
    Picasso Lv 43

Emerald Team:

Nimbus Lv 26
    Eragon Lv 28
    Geico Lv 28
    Vision Lv 28
    Metallik Lv 31
    Azullerell Lv 33

I believe it was Miyamoto or Awata who said something along the lines of "Do you know what we called Mario before that? Jumpman. But before that he was Ossan, or Mr. Video Game. Ossan means 'old guy' or 'the guy,' so he could be anyone from an older brother to an older man across the street. Guy. Y'know, that guy. He could be anybody. And that's why it's important to have him be Mr. Video Game, so he can be there for gamers. People look at a game and see Mario. Whether he's the Referee in Punchout, driving carts or playing tennis, or saving Peach, they know what they're getting is a quality game. He can reach across many types of games, and he can be Mr. Video Game. He's in gamers' DNA; he could be anybody."

And that's why it's important our characters don't talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...