Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: garchomp vs dragonite

what is a uber?
    me:cat use scratch. friend:your cat is not a pokemon. ME: OH YEAH? CAT USE GROWL. CAT:MEOW (SHUT UP! JUST BECAUSE I CAN DO THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL DO THAT!) FRIEND:HA HA! ME:FEEL THE WRATH OF MY CHARZAIRD! FRIEND: DUDE THATS A TOY. ME:WAH! CAT AND FRIEND:HAH HAH! IDIOT. LATER: HEY CAT IS THAT A ARCANINE?! CAT:MEOW (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS BUT I DONT LIKE CANINES.) FRIEND:RUN! ME: HAH HAH. TURD FACE...I TOLD HIM POKEMON WERE REAL. BY AGGRON GUY

I personally prefer Garchomp, but they function differently. Dragonite is more of a bulky sweeper due to its natural bulk and Multiscale, whereas Garchomp is commonly used as a Choice Scarf revenge killer or Choice Band attacker due to its good base 102 speed. That said, a great secondary STAB in Ground, a resistance to Stealth Rock, and an immunity to Electric (meaning Thunder Wave and Volt Switch aren't concerns) make Garchomp more appealing than Dragonite to me.

However, the good old original dragon does make up for it with access to Extreme Speed, Roost, Dragon Dance, the aforementioned Multiscale, and an immunity to Ground/Spikes/Toxic Spikes.

Don't let tier placement fool you; both Pokemon function differently, so I would not say one is inherently better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by AGGRON GUY View Post
    what is a uber?
    It's a tier in competitive battling. It's basically the one tier where pretty much everything is allowed, including the normally banned Legendaries. Several non-legendaries have been banned to the Uber tier, such as Gen 3/4 Wobbufett, Gen 4 Garchomp, Gen 5 Blaziken and Excadrill.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    I personally prefer Garchomp, but they function differently. Dragonite is more of a bulky sweeper due to its natural bulk and Multiscale, whereas Garchomp is commonly used as a Choice Scarf revenge killer or Choice Band attacker due to its good base 102 speed. That said, a great secondary STAB in Ground, a resistance to Stealth Rock, and an immunity to Electric (meaning Thunder Wave and Volt Switch aren't concerns) make Garchomp more appealing than Dragonite to me.

However, the good old original dragon does make up for it with access to Extreme Speed, Roost, Dragon Dance, the aforementioned Multiscale, and an immunity to Ground/Spikes/Toxic Spikes.

Don't let tier placement fool you; both Pokemon function differently, so I would not say one is inherently better than the other.

It's a tier in competitive battling. It's basically the one tier where pretty much everything is allowed, including the normally banned Legendaries. Several non-legendaries have been banned to the Uber tier, such as Gen 3/4 Wobbufett, Gen 4 Garchomp, Gen 5 Blaziken and Excadrill.
    why? is that a sign that they are good?
    me:cat use scratch. friend:your cat is not a pokemon. ME: OH YEAH? CAT USE GROWL. CAT:MEOW (SHUT UP! JUST BECAUSE I CAN DO THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL DO THAT!) FRIEND:HA HA! ME:FEEL THE WRATH OF MY CHARZAIRD! FRIEND: DUDE THATS A TOY. ME:WAH! CAT AND FRIEND:HAH HAH! IDIOT. LATER: HEY CAT IS THAT A ARCANINE?! CAT:MEOW (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS BUT I DONT LIKE CANINES.) FRIEND:RUN! ME: HAH HAH. TURD FACE...I TOLD HIM POKEMON WERE REAL. BY AGGRON GUY

The reason that Chomp was banished to the Ubers tier wasn't solely due to his strength or BST, but because he had Sand Veil. Evasion clause, anyone?
    Dragonite is probably the lesser of the two aesthetically, but he is far more versatile than the land shark and can handle differing situations better than chomp. Still, as far as wallbreakers and even revenge killers go, Chomp takes the prize.
    I like Chomp better overall, mainly because he looks awesome.

GC for battle
    Dnite for design.
    3DS FC: 4699-5691-3223

MESSAGE ME ON SKYPE TO GET A HOLD OF ME QUICKEST
    Black 2 FC: Pid 1636 3572 7947

Drago, easily winning over gchomp.
    Together we ride!
    "You can make anything you want go your way in life. You just have to know how to work the RNG."

now i have gible and dragonair.

In terms of competitive value, I think in single play dnite would be better, due to his bulk and being able to dragon dance his way through a sweep. In doubles battle though garchomp is better due to his STAB earthquake. It's too risky for dnite to set up when both opponents can target you at once.
    I've always been a fan of dnite since gen 1, but I've also grown very fond of garchomp ever since entering mine in the VGC doubles.

In terms of design, I like dragonite. It's so cute, so simple, and so dragon :3
    Vivillon Hunt:

Native Vivillon: River

Need: Tundra
    PM me if you'd like to trade Vivillons!

Thowra 4986 3020 9888 (White 2)
    Thowra 1289-9658-9104 (3DS for Y) Friend Safari: Water - Panpour/Gyarados/Frogadier
    GMT +11 timezone

Dragonite. It knows more moves, the stats it has on Attack and Special Attack are great. It knows Ice Beam that Garchomp doesn't know(it doesn't know Ice attacks except HP Ice but the Special Attack is low), the speed is high, the defenses are OK, it can Fly, it can Surf, it knows the elemental punches, it knows every strong move to man, and it's awesome. Want more?

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Garchomp was banned from OU and up into Ubers, so he would win.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

I absolutely love Dragonite. It has always been one of my favorite Pokemon. I just love how chubby it looks and how it manages to be so powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    Garchomp was banned from OU and up into Ubers, so he would win.
    Because of Sand Veil/Evasion clause. Don't base it solely on tier, because there are plenty of OU Pokemon who can go toe-to-toe with Ubers, and win. Plus, tiers are not absolute.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12