Thread: Kanto Cup [Rain Team]

Default Kanto Cup [Rain Team]

I'm excited about the Kanto Cup this month <3 Everyone else is seemingly talking about the winter friendly, but I cannot participate in this unless I go buy an American version of bw2 and play thought that in time for the tournament. Which I'm not going to do...

だから!KANTO CUP TEAM~

@ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder
    - Heat Wave
    - Roost

Zapdos is my opener, setting up Rain Dance while gaining the 100% accuracy with a STAB Thunder. Heatwave acts as a cover against my very weakness to Grass moves with all my water pokemon. Roost is Zapdos' way of healing on it's own without catching a wish from Vaporeon.

@ Life Orb
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    - Swords Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge
    - Low Kick

Kabutops is my Swift Swim Sweeper (the SSS Kabutops XD) and has the most variety of moves and STAB attacks. With Rain, Kabutops out speeds all the other pokemon in the Kanto region. Along with SD this pokemon attacks get pretty ridiculous fast. Being able to STAB with water and rock and the bonus to water moves from rain.

@ White Herb
    Ability: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Hydro Pump

Cloyster serves as a physical wall/tank. Shell Smash is <3 for cloyster, and with a 100% Hydro Pump and STAB 5x Icicle Spear. Cloyster is serving as a Dragonite hunter mostly with the ability to hunt out Dugtrio and Venosaur.

@ Black Sludge
    Ability: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
    Nature: Bold
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Protect

Tentacruel is a SpWall/Staller. It's pretty ordinary so there's not a whole lot to say about it. Scald > Hydro Pump for the added PP. Protect to gain back 12% HP from rain and sludge. Spikes to cause opponent problems since there are NO steel types to laugh at my poison.

@ Leftovers
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 140 HP / 116 Def / 248 SpA / 4 SpD
    Nature: Bold
    - Scald
    - Hidden Power
    - Rest
    - Wish

Vaporeon is pure <3
    I could probably use a Starmie in it's place and be a little better off, but I like the idea of being able to pass large wishes without using a Chansey and being able to exploit the rain/hydration/rest combo. Hidden Power is grass for more coverage against water/rock/ground types.

@ Choice Band
    Ability: Multiscale
    EV: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
    Nature: Jolly
    - Dragon Dance
    - Extreme Speed
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Claw

Dragonite is stupidly powerful in only the Kanto region so why not use it? The only thing in the meta that can resist Dragon type attacks is Magneton, and Magneton happens to die to my fire-breathing Zapdos. Waterfall functions as a 'STAB' move for the rain and Extreme Speed lets me play with high priority physical attack. Multiscale lets me have a sure DD which then lets Dragonite sweep away.

I'm a little unsure about which threats will be major in this environment. I would think Dragonite, Gengar, Alakazam, Nintales maybe, Gyarados, Jolteon, Arcanine, Machamp and Nidoking.... But that's just what I would think of using initially in a none-rain team sooooo... yea.

Well, the most obvious threat on this team to me is Jolteon. It KOs many of the team members or just scares them out while just being at it's mercy firing off powerful Thunderbolts with Kabutops being your only way of taking it out.

Another thing I noticed is Dragonite with Choice Band and DD. not sure if this was a mistake but do you want CB or DD Nite?

Vaporeon and Tentacruel seem to be very similar Pokemon as top special walls in rain with Vappy passing wishes and Tenta spinning and throwing up spikes. I'm not sure if Vappy is more beneficial to this team than swapping it out for an offensive threat as rain is seemingly more of an offensive playstyle as with this team.

You could try Omystar over Vappy for SR and a potent special sweeper.

Not really too sure about Kanto Cup rules except only using Kanto Pokemon? With that in mind, I think Sun teams will run rampant. I'm not sure what you can't or cannot use but I don't see many viable SR users that aren't straight out flattened by your team so... Moltres? It works great in either weather firing off STAB Hurricanes in rain while firing off powerful STAB Fire Blast in Sun. Slap a scarf on it and you have a potent revenge killer, slap a Specs on it and it's ready to roast things in its path.

EDIT: just thought after I posted, but I think Ninetales + Venusaur will be popular so I don't really know how you plan on stopping it. Perhaps a Sash Alakazam but yeah...with a Growth boost idk..

Yea Dragonite is going to be DD, oops XD

The rules for Kanto Cup were that you could only use pokemon from Kanto Region, minus Mewtwo and Mew. So I can see where Ninetales and Venusaur would be popular. But I like your idea of using a Moltres in Rain Dance. And with my team as is I feel I could handle Venusaur with Cloyster.... Maybe...

I want to say Vaporeon > Tentacruel, since I usually run a rain in OU.

Use Damp Rock on Zapdos for a Proper Rain Sweep, you'll need all the turns.

I would recommend you get a Second Rain Dancer. one isn't enough unless it's perma rain.
    Kingdra over Kabutops. Dragon STAB is stupidly powerful in Kanto and Teams will have only 1 Magneton, because that's the only steel type in LC. Swift Swim will Ensure Clean Sweep and also kind of Check the Opposing Kingdra. If you're using rain why not as well use the most broken thing created for it.

Another Recommendation if you are looking to Change Pokemon. Get a Magic Guard Alakazam. Outspeeds everything that could counter it except Reversal Dugtrio, and You can Easily 2hko it with a little luck.

Last but Not the Least. Eviolite Chansey and Snorlax are going to be a huge a-holes here. Remember this is Gen 1. So no Scizor/Breloom. So you'll need a strong fighting STAB. I'd Recommend getting a DynamicPunch Machamp if you can.

EDIT: I also see that you don't have a revengekiller/choice user. I don't know if it's your style or not. But If I were you I'd try getting a gen3 Aerodactyl with Rock head tutored with Double Edge and teach it Stone Edge via TM in this gen.
    The Set would look like:

Aerodactyl@Choice Band
    Trait: Rock Head
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252Atk/252Spe

-Double Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Aqua Tail/Aerial Ace/Fly (Filler Spot)

This alone OHKOes like 90% of the Kanto mons. Just a passing Advice. The Moveset is easy to obtain and Requires no breeding chains for moves as all are tutor Moves/TM
    Last edited by Soul_Fly; 5th February 2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Feel Free to Engage a certain Soul_Fly on Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown!
    You'll likely end up getting free ladder points due to my constant tendency to test out gimmicky teams.

LAWL. Lucario RULEZZ

Kingdra is from Jhoto Region so I can't use it over Kabutops. But I will Definatly use the Damp Rock idea (I've used Politoed enough to forget that Damp Rock was an item XD). But I like the idea of Alakazam and Aerodactyl, too. I'll repost with my modifications.

Team Edit:

+ Damp Rock
    -
    + @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    - Psychic
    - Facus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power

+ Rain Dance and - Rock Blast