Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: Mature Pokemon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm here but not all there
    Posts
    263

    Cool Mature Pokemon

    *sighs* I was hoping this would go into GPD, but alas. And it doesn't go into rename/redesign/make anything because noone's doing that.

    Remember how the original, Japan-exclusive Pokemon Stadium had only some Pokemon? How mad people got? And what about Snap? One of the most beloved Pokemon games ever. 63 Pokemon, not even half.

    So what if the guys at Nintendo/GameFreak were to make a "mature" Pokemon game, where battling and plot were dark, and Pokemonand people could possibly die? Of course, it'd be too gimmicky (not to mention copy-Mortal-Kombat-y) to include ALL the Pokemon, so they'd have to limit it down. If some few Pokemon were to be redesigned for such a game, which ones would you like to see?

    Personally, I'd like to see Gyarados, Mr. Mime, Haunter, Magnemite/Magneton, Garbodor, and Aggron. Onix too. How bout you guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    So what if the guys at Nintendo/GameFreak were to make a "mature" Pokemon game, where battling and plot were dark, and Pokemonand people could possibly die? Of course, it'd be too gimmicky (not to mention copy-Mortal-Kombat-y) to include ALL the Pokemon, so they'd have to limit it down. If some few Pokemon were to be redesigned for such a game, which ones would you like to see?

    Personally, I'd like to see Gyarados, Mr. Mime, Haunter, Magnemite/Magneton, Garbodor, and Aggron. Onix too. How bout you guys?
    That's a terrible idea and goes against the core charm of the pokémon game, there is no way Game Freak will ever make a Pokémon game like that.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Arizona Bay
    Posts
    471

    Default

    I'm not so sure about a "mature" game, maybe a bit of upping in the rating would be nice, but I think that it should be at ESRB T/PEGI 13.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Amano Iwato Cave
    Posts
    121

    Default

    But having a mature game would ruin the whole base of the game! They are meant to be happy games -.-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    5 hours behind UTC
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    *sighs* I was hoping this would go into GPD, but alas. And it doesn't go into rename/redesign/make anything because noone's doing that.

    Remember how the original, Japan-exclusive Pokemon Stadium had only some Pokemon? How mad people got? And what about Snap? One of the most beloved Pokemon games ever. 63 Pokemon, not even half.

    So what if the guys at Nintendo/GameFreak were to make a "mature" Pokemon game, where battling and plot were dark, and Pokemonand people could possibly die? Of course, it'd be too gimmicky (not to mention copy-Mortal-Kombat-y) to include ALL the Pokemon, so they'd have to limit it down. If some few Pokemon were to be redesigned for such a game, which ones would you like to see?

    Personally, I'd like to see Gyarados, Mr. Mime, Haunter, Magnemite/Magneton, Garbodor, and Aggron. Onix too. How bout you guys?
    They already had a bit of a dark plot in Pokemon with the creation of the Pokemon Colosseum game and its XD sequel. Pokemon dying, however, is better left in the mangas.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm here but not all there
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    I'm not so sure about a "mature" game, maybe a bit of upping in the rating would be nice, but I think that it should be at ESRB T/PEGI 13.
    That's why I kept "mature" in quotations; not everyone uses ESRB or PEGI, so I wanted so leeway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    I'm not so sure about a "mature" game, maybe a bit of upping in the rating would be nice, but I think that it should be at ESRB T/PEGI 13.
    Why? Pokémon is a game that is targeted toward children so the age rating that it has is fine. Furthermost making pokémon a mature game doesn't automatically equal a good game.

    And finally I leave you with the question;

    "What is a mature game and what counts as mature?"

    Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    They already had a bit of a dark plot in Pokemon with the creation of the Pokemon Colosseum game and its XD sequel.
    Even that was toned down and was very lightly touch upon, before Game Freak bush Colosseum and XD under the carpet.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Arizona Bay
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Why? Pokémon is a game that is targeted toward children so the age rating that it has is fine. Furthermost making pokémon a mature game doesn't automatically equal a good game.
    I know that the label "mature" doesn't make a good game. I was just saying it wouldn't be horrible if it was upped a tad, a touch of realism isn't awful. But my opinion is that it shouldn't be overly violent. Pokemon wasn't meant to be gory or stuff like that. Leave all of that stuff to the other game companies.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    I'm here but not all there
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Why? Pokémon is a game that is targeted toward children so the age rating that it has is fine. Furthermost making pokémon a mature game doesn't automatically equal a good game.

    And finally I leave you with the question;

    "What is a mature game and what counts as mature?"



    Even that was toned down and was very lightly touch upon, before Game Freak bush Colosseum and XD under the carpet.
    As you said "Un toned down."
    A "mature" medium doesn't sugarcoat the truth. It doesn't have to be risqué, just honest. Take "Here Comes the Boom:" it's PG, but it talks about embezzlement, fighting, mortality, and the modern dating paradigm (drinks and sex). In a universe where we have fire-breathing rhinos and Pokemon gangsters around every corner, it'd make sense that you could die, or if you did happen to launch an avalanche onto a Pidgey's head, I think it'd probably die.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    YOUR DOG IS NOT A POKEMON.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurried Rains View Post
    Female Alakazam. Oh hot damn I love a girl with a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azereus View Post
    You don't think a muscular female body builder without a shirt isn't disturbing? I guess we're all different when it comes to social norms...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ◉︵◉
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I'd like to see a more 'mature' Pokemon game, but I know it will never happen. There'd be far, far too much outcry from younger fans and their parental figures.


    Back from a very long hiatus. Signature and other things under construction! My friend code is 3496-9664-6228, and my friend safari contains Slugma, Growlithe, and Braixen.

        Spoiler:- Shinies and credits:

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Going down in flames
    Posts
    9,695

    Default

    ...What does a "mature" Pokemon game have to do with not including every Pokemon, anyway?

    Most spin-offs don't have every Pokemon, anyway; Ranger, Conquest, PokePark, Dash, and Channel come to mind.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Well maybe there could be more "maturity" in aspects similar to colosseum/XD's "shadow pokemon", or more developed/bad "evil" teams, but I don't think it should go as far as real, permanent, warfare violence in pokemon. That would be too much, even if it is more realistic. Plus either way it would never actually be created, I don't think.
    Hi I am back and hopefully really will be active again! LOVING XY so much but there really isn't even a point of saying I love it since it is just....arceus. Yeah. Anyways, my 3DS friend code is 0688 5572 5678 if anyone wants to battle or register me!
    Friend Safari: Slugma, Growlithe, Braixen

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Enchanted Forest
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AyameTori View Post
    But having a mature game would ruin the whole base of the game! They are meant to be happy games -.-
    Not everybody wants happy though. I think a GTA-style Pokemon spin-off (series) would be good for the franchise.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where the wind blows
    Posts
    4,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meeker View Post
    I know that the label "mature" doesn't make a good game. I was just saying it wouldn't be horrible if it was upped a tad, a touch of realism isn't awful. But my opinion is that it shouldn't be overly violent. Pokemon wasn't meant to be gory or stuff like that. Leave all of that stuff to the other game companies.
    Then you are playing the wrong game and don't understand that Pokémon is a children game that will never change no matter what.

    Furthermore Game Freak and Nintendo are unwilling to up the age rating, which is why the Game Corner was watered down in the European version of Pokémon Platinum and then replaced in the western release of Heart Gold/Soul Silver before being removed from the series all together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    A "mature" medium doesn't sugarcoat the truth. It doesn't have to be risqué, just honest. Take "Here Comes the Boom:"
    Pokémon has shown that pokémon do die, explored the concept of truth and ideal, shown how a lack of human emotion can make a man cold and uncaring and how some people will do anything to get money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    but it talks about embezzlement, fighting, mortality,
    Aside from embezzlement pokémon has covered on fighting and mortality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    and the modern dating paradigm (drinks and sex).
    It's a children game they are far too young to be thinking about drinking, dating and sex. Go and play a different if you really want to play game that has those features.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdrawer View Post
    In a universe where we have fire-breathing rhinos and Pokemon gangsters around every corner, it'd make sense that you could die, or if you did happen to launch an avalanche onto a Pidgey's head, I think it'd probably die.
    But then that would go against the reason why made the pokémon faint rather than die, he wanted to create a game that wasn't centred around violent. The moment they make a pokémon game where your pokémon dies then it isn't a pokémon game any more and the series is dead.

    If you really want to play a game where your character dies then play one of the Fire Emblem games.

    Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    Not everybody wants happy though.
    Then they can play a different game there is no need to change the Pokémon series into something that it shouldn't be.

    Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    I think a GTA-style Pokemon spin-off (series) would be good for the franchise.
    No it wouldn't, if anything that would kill the franchise and parents wouldn't want children to be playing a violence game.

    Folks I am going to say this right and you better damn sure get it into your head.

    Pokémon is a children game nothing more and nothing less. The very fact that you want it to be "mature" means that you are either growing out of the series or need to try playing different games that suits your taste.
    Last edited by blaze boy; 5th February 2013 at 3:20 AM.


    "Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

    Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

    You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

    twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Goldenrod City
    Posts
    66

    Default

    having your pokemon die and such would just be... weird. I mean there is the nuzlocke but that's a fan made challenge, and your pokemon still don't really die. I don't think it would work out to much. I do think Colosseum and XD did a great job of adding a little darker atmosphere to the game but any more would be over kill. Besides pokemon have died before in the series, Lavender town... Marowak...

    3DS FC: 4313-0937-1327
    Friend Safari: Ghost; Lampent, Gourgheist, and IDk yet
    Nintendo Network: Raiin3


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,272

    Default

    Pokemon's done far too much work to make themselves child friendly. It's a game about making magical creatures fight, but these are magical creatures that enjoy fighting and like to befriend their trainers. They never fight to the death, breeding pokemon is hinted to happen in a much more mysterious manner then, um...the usual means, and the only easy way to make a pokemon "hate" you is to give them bitter medicine. But even then, new pokemon are hinted to be more uncertain more then anything else.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    448

    Default

    A game that is more mature could work, but making it dark and gritty seems like a very bad idea. The pokemon world being so friendly and joyful is a great deal of what makes it fun to play.
    If they would make a more mature version, they should make only 2 changes in my opinion:
    1. Make the protagonists older, as in mid-twenties or so.
    2. Make pokemon battling something only a selection of skillful adults (NPCs) can do, and the majority of the population only keep them as pets or work companions, much like Mightyena and Tangrowth in the 13th movie.
    With these simple changes, the games would be much more mature and realistic, without resorting to making it dark and gritty for no reason.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lumiose City, Kalos
    Posts
    1,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Then you are playing the wrong game and don't understand that Pokémon is a children game that will never change no matter what.
    Pokemon is not only for children. It's for everyone. People of any age can play it. Seriously, why do people keep saying that pokemon is for children only. There is nothing in it that makes it only for children NOR is there anything that makes it exclusive to adults. It is for both of them.

    Anyway, if you want a more "mature" game ( as you say ), then you just need to change the story. BW's story is quite good. That is mature enough for pokemon. It doesnt need to get gory and stuff. That would be stupid IMO. I just hate those games where they show people dying horribly just for the fun of it. It's weird.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I get where you are going with it but I think Gamefreak has a format they won't ever change. It's making them loads of monies, lol.
    Nintendo 3DS: 0473-8573-6109

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,249

    Default

    They've got to keep a "child" friendly face to the whole thing. The Pokémon Designs are very "Bright", and hardly seem dark. Pokémon is Disney's Alice in Wonderland compared to American McGee's Alice games.

    Pokémon Anime has a "prime time" TV slots, and on Children TV channels. I should point out why Adult Swim is not on CN in the UK, but on TCM. CN(UK) (and Also CITV, who also show Pokémon) is considered by the Regulator as a "Children Channel" and is limited to show only "child Friendly" Programs.

    The Smash Bros Series is the highest Rated "Pokémon" game, however that could the fact it's a fighting game, and not an actual Pokémon Game.

    The reason you can't find this type of thread, They've been shut and subsequently "deleted." Most of the last threads turned in to Flame wars. While I want to shut it, I'm having trouble finding a valid reason to do so.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr


    MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

    3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Yardley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    breeding pokemon is hinted to happen in a much more mysterious manner then, um...the usual means,
    Oh yeah! right! I forgot about the breeding thing! They could definitely change it to be at least more nuetral, and not like say "omg I have no freaking clue how it ever could have happened, but your pokemon somehow magically is holding a...like...egg!? How crazy is that?!" (ok I may be paraphrasing, lol :P). That did slightly annoy me. I mean, the man doesn't have to be all out like "looks like your pokemon had s** while they were with us, here's their child", but maybe some middle ground, you know...
    Hi I am back and hopefully really will be active again! LOVING XY so much but there really isn't even a point of saying I love it since it is just....arceus. Yeah. Anyways, my 3DS friend code is 0688 5572 5678 if anyone wants to battle or register me!
    Friend Safari: Slugma, Growlithe, Braixen

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    785

    Default

    I can't see this happening to Pokemon because though there are old people playing it the game is mainly designed for children.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carboncopy View Post
    Pokemon is not only for children. It's for everyone. People of any age can play it. Seriously, why do people keep saying that pokemon is for children only. There is nothing in it that makes it only for children NOR is there anything that makes it exclusive to adults. It is for both of them.
    To be fair he didn't say that it's for children only, he just stated it was a children's game, which in fact it is. As long as a child can play it, it is categorized as such, whether adults choose to play it too is another matter. Obviously Game Freak acknowledges older fans too, but it is mainly targetted at children, there's no denying that, there might be EVs and stuff like that, but the primary target audience are, and have always been, the children, because that's where the most sales are.

    Anyways, I like my Pokémon as it is, but if anything, I'd like to see Weezing get a grim overhaul.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I think a more mature spinoff would be nice for the older pokemon fans. At least with adults as the playable characters. It'd be nice to see what pokemon would be like if it grew up with those of us who have been there from the very beginning.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I think think this thread is built on the pretense that dark=deep that is so common nowadays in storytelling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •