Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever tossed your Starter Pokemon out of your team?

No! How can you bench the first pokemon you ever receive? That's evil!
    Current LeafGreen Team:

Gem Lv 40
    Beautifly Lv 41
    Charzin Lv 41
    Falconion Lv 41
    Wiz Lv 42
    Picasso Lv 43

Emerald Team:

Nimbus Lv 26
    Eragon Lv 28
    Geico Lv 28
    Vision Lv 28
    Metallik Lv 31
    Azullerell Lv 33

I have done it twice. First time was in Pokemon Colosseum with Espeon. The other time was it my first playthough of Diamond and it was Piplup. But I ALWAYS kept them for breeding purposes.

Friend Code: Listed in code spoiler!
    Pokémon Safari Type: Dark
    Pokémon in Safari: Liepard, Nuzleaf, Crawdaunt (Spiecal thanks to mwrspeedy29 and Shao-May)
        Spoiler:- Code Section:

I do it all the time. xD I find someone better. I never trade it or actually get rid of it, I just replace it. ;-; That doesn't sound mean
    ~Working on getting a sig~

I'll usually keep mine until post-game.

then pppttthhbhbbb who cares

My Friend Safari is Light type.

yep. when i played black 2 the first time, i tossed out my servine at level 30, before the 3rd gym. there are just so many good replacements in that game.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

Yuss

always do. exept my original gold, where feraligtr pwnd lances dragons and shizz
    Who wants a dragon type. Got BILLIONS.

Black 2 FC 5029 3297 5486

Current shiny hunt

Here, have a bulbasaur brighten your day

Ryhdon dances in pokemon conquest. lollollollol PAAAAARTEH!!!

Nice to know what everyone thinks!
    Personally, I would NEVER Drop Blaziken, especially in 5th gen and above it learns moves that put it over Uber and OU!

Credits: Large UserBar Banner Made By Sworn Metalhead @ Daedric Design

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Dynamo View Post
    Pretty much every time after about the 3rd gym. On some occasions I have kept it the whole time, but only if I couldn't find a better replacement.
    That's why I did with Servine haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milennin View Post
    I always keep my starter until I beat the Elite Four and Champion for the first time. After that I usually train it to level 100 before tossing it out.
    Thats a really good idea, unless you chose snivy like me haha

I have pretty much only heard peope tossed their Unova, and Johto starters! (snivy tepid oshawott chikorita cyndaquil and tododile)
    Has anyone tossed Hoenn,Kanto,or Sinnoh????

Outside of a Nuzlocke or monotype or something like that, I don't have a "team" other than whoever I've got with me currently. I just never even considered playing the games that way, and it's only been slowly that I've come to realize that so many (most?) other people actually use a set team.

I rotate constantly. I go into each gym with a team that's assembled solely for the purpose of beating that gym, and I go through the routes with... whoever. For traveling, I just try to have a good range of types so there are no threats I can't work around, and if it comes down to a choice between two or more essentially equal pokemon and I don't have any particular preference, I generally go with the one with the lowest level, so it can get the experience. I generally work out of a pool of 20 - 30 pokemon - less early in the game, but more just as I catch more and so have more I want to try.

Over the course of the game, I come to know the pokemon, and to learn who's more or less dependable, and the "team" starts coming together. By the time I get to the E4, I've got a pretty good idea of who's best in each role, and that's pretty much who I take with me when I face them. The starter has been a part of that group... maybe half the time, if that.

The starter's no more special to me than a starter car in a racing game. I only rarely move it down into one of the rubbish boxes, since they tend to be at least better than average, but they're rarely anything really special, so more often than not, they don't make it on the final team.

Not yet, although if we ever do get a game that reuses Kanto or Johto starters, that would be the first time, since I've used all 3 of both sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Yeah I never stop using it, ever, until I beat the leauge and all...then I might sub it out, especially if I want to train a lot of other lower levelled pokemon later, but i'll still use it again!
    I'm sorta back
    While I'd always love to talk about anything pokemon, I will only be using the 6th gen Wifi section for a while out of efficiency in my life, unfortunately

PLEASE NOTE: My one and only 3DS friend code is now 0576 3520 6954, it used to be 0688 5572 5678 but I no longer have that DS, delete that old code if you already have it!
    thought X/Y were amazing, but the widely revolutionary ORAS makes X/Y look like, well, I guess the original Ruby/Sapphire (which were still awesome) ha ha. in early middle of story line, w/ no choice but to progress fairly slowly. if anyone wants to battle or register me (be sure to tell me iso I can get yours) feel free to!

AS: Grovyle, Metang, Swellow, Skitty, Corphish, and "Pikabest"

Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I've always kept my starter, except for my current playthrough of Black, where I traded a bunch of level 1's from Black2.
    It was Tepig, so I don't regret it.
    I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE!!! (click he'll do it) XD

Quote Originally Posted by Cueva27 View Post
    Has anyone tossed Hoenn,Kanto,or Sinnoh????
    I tossed my Grovyle when I caught a Shroomish in Emerald.
    3DS Friend Code: 3351-4057-4675 (Vicki)
    2DS Friend Code: 0361-7983-6340 (Breanna)
    Nintendo Network ID Wii U: IrisMist

Friend Safari X (3DS): Vicki ~ Rock with Onix, Boldore & Shuckle
    Friend Safari Y (2DS): Breanna ~ Ice with Delibird, Bergmite & Lapras

Currently playing: Mario Kart 8

Nice to know what everyone thinks!
    Personally, I would NEVER Drop Blaziken, especially in 5th gen and above it learns moves that put it over Uber and OU!
    It was put into users because of speed boost.

I keep my starters around. I never release nothing, even though that has nothing to do in this conversation.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I did that in BW2 since I was already experienced with all of the starters.
    I'll put something here...eventually

I always keep mine on my ingame team.

No, I never drop my starter. It is always there in my arsenal, because I feel a spiritual connection to the starter and the first few Pokemon I caught that didn't get cut after the second or third gym. But I usually cut someone around the 7th gym area to make space for the cover legendary.
    3DS FC: 4597 - 0384 - 5442

If you add me, PM me with your friend code and I'll add you.
    Friend Safari: Grass; has Oddish, Ivysaur and Quilladin

Eh, I've done it a couple of times. I've found that it's easier when they're kept on team, though, since they're generally the most efficient Pokemon available in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Eh, I've done it a couple of times. I've found that it's easier when they're kept on team, though, since they're generally the most efficient Pokemon available in-game.
    Yeah but many pokemon can be much better especially in 5th gen!

I use my starters through most of the game. Sometimes I put them in the PC and just use other pokemon. If I really don't like them, they turn into HM slaves. I started a new game on black 2, where i traded over newly hatched pokemon for my team, no starter pokemon ^_^

Yeah I have most recently done it on my Black 2, first time through. I tossed my Oshawatt, and more recently my snivy, because they just were cutting it. I don't do this often, but sometimes it is needed
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

every now and then when im doing the battle tower/frontier/subway. and wifi random battles. ingame however no my starter stays until i start to get serious about training for wifi battles and even then it makes appearences every now and then.
    If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†
    for those of you who are interested here is my link to my youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/pokedigijedi

Trade shop: pokedigijedi's bounty board
    3DS FRIEND CODE: 4382-2152-1254 friend safari type: poison pokemon ariados, kakuna, and muk. please don't take too long too add me it drives me crazy and I will delete your friend code

Yeah but many pokemon can be much better especially in 5th gen!
    Most of the time, they're the most efficient Pokemon you can use in-game. They all have a good Exp. group and timely evolutions for their stat growths, which yield end BSTs between 525 and 535, and of course they're available earlier than anything else and require no hunting in grass, which makes it easy to reset for a good one. Even in Gen V, Samurott is still the best Water-type available outside of maybe Starmie (in BW2), but by the time you get that, you've already beaten Clay. Serperior may compete with Lilligant for the title of best Grass-type, but it has some advantages in that it has something of a more extensive movepool (especially with BW2 tutors), more bulk, and better Speed. Likewise, Emboar differentiates itself from Darmanitan by its Fighting-type, which helps against bosses such as Lenora and Drayden, the ability to go mixed, Flame Charge by level-up, and a better mid-game that doesn't worry about missing.
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 6th February 2013 at 9:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast