Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever tossed your Starter Pokemon out of your team?

Naw, I grow fond of them when I get them. They are cute and you already shared your first few battles with them <.>
    I have thought about it though and.. naw I always end up using them :P

I always toss out my starter, except in Emerald, kept my Marshtomp for a while. I think the starter holds me back, so I get rid of it, Inever really cared for any of the starters except Squirtle. I wish Slowpoke was a starter.....

Generally, no I don't. The only time I'm don't use my starter is when the rules of the challenge dictate I can't (Such as a Nuzlocke and it gets defeated).

3DS Friend Code: 2535-4249-2325
    PM me if you add me for X and Y so I can add you too! I apparently give Sandile, Nuzleaf, and Liepard in the Friend Safari.

Yes, a lot. Generally I do 5-6 playthroughs of a game. In the first 3, I use one of the starters. Then in the 4-6, I use any of the wild pokes that are available early in the game, and dont use my starter.

The only times I've ever done this were in Black 2, where I wanted to take advantage of the huge variety of Pokemon; and in some of my Platinum monotype runs, where none of the starter types match the type I'm using for the challenge. Other than that, I always keep my starter on my team. It's tradition.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Many many times. Ever since Blue. not that should be a surprize, after the 10th+ time beating the game, starters become the most boring poemon in the game.

Black FC: 0905 8203 0859

Never. The starter that I select will forever be a staple of my Pokémon team!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

The first time I boxed a starter was in Black 2, I immediately replaced it when I caught a Riolu.

Help these dragons live, click on them.

No it's way too hard. It's the first Pokemon you get so I just feel that it's mandatory to use it throughout the game.
    Ruby: 0/8
    Sapphire: 0/8
    Emerald: 7/8
    FireRed: 8/8
    LeafGreen: 6/8
    Diamond: 0/8
    Pearl: 0/8
    Platinum: 7/8
    HeartGold: 16/16 (350/493)
    SoulSilver: 9/16
    Black:
    White:
    White 2:
    Black 2:

FC= 1121 0822 2345

Unless I'm doing a Operation: Screw starters file (I breed for a growlithe, phanpy, etc and trade it over as soon as the earliest trading requirements have been met and use it as my starter), I keep my starter, they tend to be some of my favorites. However, I might chuck gen 6's as soon as a good pokemon comes along.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

LOOKING FOR LEGIT SHINY SEVIPER AND LINOONE! Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368

never! I pick my starter and base my whole team around it.
    My fc: 4871 5236 8426

Dare to battle me?

I'm back

Yes, I ditched Servine in Black 2, I replaced it with a Sawsbuck I think.

The first time I played Silver (my first Pokémon game), I raised loads of different Pokémon at once, and ended up not taking my starter to the Elite Four. It was still a Quilava at the time, and it seemed to be lagging behind everyone else.

Nowadays, I tend to just use teams of six, so I generally keep my starter unless I'm doing a challenge that requires me to ditch it (like my Bug monotype run of Black).
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I never haven't toss my starters, I feel so bad for it.
    Lucario: Master of Aura...... and Chocolate!

FC(Pokemon Y): 4313-1362-5177

I always find a good use for my starter, and I've always had it with me for the Elite Four. After the elite four, I find it to be ample time to give the space up to Pokemon that need training, but my starter is always the one at the highest level on my teams.
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

Most of the time. ._.; I've kept my Feraligatr, Samurott and Serperior on my main teams, I'm quite proud. XDD
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

No, I never get rid of starters. Very few have been disappointments (tyranitar, sceptile), and except for the disappointments I keep them in my team after I've finished the Elite 4. I work with them the most, and they tend to be really good fighters (plus, the water starters are always the best for a TM slave at the very least).
    ;My Shinies: NEW!! 9/6 (trevanent) NEW!! 9/15
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

I have only ditched my starter once, and that was in Pokemon White. Once my Serperior was fully evolved, I boxed it and never looked back. It was just so... bad. A defensive grass type with a scarce move pool didn't bring much to my team, especially in the main game itself. But I never really liked any of the Unova starters to begin with, so I picked Snivy based purely on aesthetics. I didn't have as much emotional attachment to the Gen V starters.

Every other generation though, I would always keep my starter.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Well there are two occasions of me throwing my starter out of my team, so I guess I should tell you about both of them.

The first occasion was back in the good old days of Sapphire, I had chosen Mudkip because, back then, pretty much the only factor for me in choosing a starter pokemon was how cute it was. Due to my heavy emphasis on cuteness, I could not bear to think of my my Mudkip evolving into that ugly-*** Marshtomp thing, so I vowed to never evolve my Mudkip, and keep it as a cute little mud-fish thing. I thought I was doing my cute little Mudkip a favor, until I got into the level 20's and I realized Mudkip wasn't holding up well compared to the rest of the team. Now, being very young, my mind was not able to comprehend the fact that maybe, just maybe, Mudkip's decrease in power could be owning to the fact that the reason for it evolving was for it to become stronger, therefore making its younger forms useless later on in the game. A few levels later, however, I did come to the realization that Mudkip just wouldn't be able to hold up with the others as a Mudkip, and, in my stuborness, I decided it was better to bench him, but leave him cute, than to evolve him, and still find use in him. I can't remember how many badges I had at that point, but it was at around level 35 in which I ditched my poor little Mudkip. The crazy thing is, I almost made the same mistake a few years later playing Diamond, until I finally gave in and just evolved Piplup at around level 30. I still prefer several pre-evos to their final counterparts (as seen in my sig), but I am definately not stupid enough to keep them in their basic form the whole game (though I do still keep them in their basic form until around level 20 for so).

The other instance in which this happened was in my final playthrough of LeafGreen, the one in which I actually beat the game. You see, I had had many unsuccessful attempts at beating the elite four throughout the years (the playthrough I'm talking about concluded like a year ago, and I got LeafGreen at 8 years old in 2004), and I had just started a new experimenting with a new team in which I left Venusaur behind on (though I kept Blastoise, which is a starter, but not the one I started the game with, this Blastoise was traded over from my FireRed, which is still the only instance in which I've traded.). I saved the game before facing a certain member (can't remember which), lost to him, ragequit, then came back to the game a couple years later. I beat the opponent, then the next one, and finally I beat the champ! But then I realized something. I realized, once all my pokes were inducted into the hall of fame, that Venusaur had been left rotting in the box, while the rest of my team, including members I had only just acquired on Victory Road, revelled in the glory of being crowned Kings of Kanto. This mad me very sad, and to this day I wish i had left my poor, loyal Venusaur on my team for the final hurrah.
    Last edited by Colt45; 19th February 2013 at 5:49 AM.
    I can smell u

A few times, but I usually always use it.

Yeah, I "tossed out" my Typhlosion in HeartGold before I went to battle the Elite Four.

Mostly because I didn't have a Flying type, and I didn't really have anything to go against Bruno, so I replaced her with Ho-oh.=/

If I ever go back to the game though, I'm putting Typhlosion back on my team.

No. I love all the starters so much that I just don't want to bench them. The closest I've ever gone to tossing out a starter is when I was playing Blue Rescue Team and I'd occasionally leave Venusaur out of the missions, but I only did it in dungeons where he'd be at a disadvantage.
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

I usually never ditch my starters.

They often turn out to be useful additions to my team.

I've never tossed a starter. And frankly, I think it's a bit wrong to not use your starter Pokemon, unless you're doing some kind of challenge run that forces you to like a Monotype or Nuzlocke. Your starter is intended to be our right-hand man, the one who's with you from beginning to end. Your true partner. So, regardless of whether or not I end up like using it, I always stick by my starter.
    3DS Friend Code: 1435-3681-3604. Add me if you'd like, and send me a PM if you'd like to battle or trade. : )

Friend Safari Type: Electric. Contains Electrode, Electabuzz, and Luxio.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast